Nintendo haters are the ones blinded by nostalgia

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EddyG0RD0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 EddyG0RD0
Member since 2005 • 2607 Posts

sorry but i am too old to open up to kiddy games

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#52  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

@zombieweekend said:

I played Super Mario Bros. U in 1985. Need I say more?

No you don't. You're credibility is duly revoked...

In any case, I agree to some extent. A lot of people put Nintendo in a cage so to speak. They weigh a new installment in a long running franchise against a game they loved back in the day and don't judge them on their own.

A good example of this is Skyward Sword. People expect Zelda to be a certain way, but when Nintendo offers a new experience with the franchise a lot of people put it down because it doesn't have the elements that made them love Ocarina of Time or A Link to the Past and ignore all the new ideas it does extremely well.

A lot of the time a new installment in a long running Nintendo franchise is more creative and original than most new IPs these days and in a way that's what certain people put Nintendo down for: trying something different with a series people love.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18264 Posts

What a great post...that's why i used to like SW, and i'm completely agree with you, Nintendo games are far more original despite being 20 years old than the yearly rehashes from Gears, Forza, GoW and CoD.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#54 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

There is a reason why Mario is still around and other IP's die. They continue to change and stay true to their core.
Grats on the thread.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Ironically you just described who I used to be 2 years ago. Now I envy Nintendo.

Anyway, you wana see some real Nostalgia then look no further than the "hardcore" audience whos always wining about "damn casuals ruining my franchise....... COD crowd blah blah blah" or whatever nonsense they spew from that toilet shaped cavity in their faces they call a mouth. :)

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#56  Edited By HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

@Gargus said:

@judaspete said:

It always amuses me how people will bash Nintendo for making the same game over and over, then turn around and by 4 Gears of War games, 4 Halos, 6 Assassins Creeds and 8 CoDs in a single generation without batting an eye.

Remind me again, how many Mario games have their been? How many pokemon games? How many Metroid games?

Then remind me again, how many new IP's have Nintendo created in the last 2 generations?

New IPs in the last 2 gens

Nintendo Wii

Art Style

Wii Sports

Excite Truck

Wii Play

Endless Ocean

Wii Fit

Wii Music

Disaster: Day of Crisis

Captain Rainbow

Common sense of people power TV

Tact of Magic

FlingSmash

Dynamic Slash

And-Kensaku

Pandora's Tower

Kiki Trick

Xenoblade Chronicles

The Last Story

Zangeki no Reginleiv

Wii-Ware

Bonsai Barber

Rock N’ Roll Climber

PictureBook Games: Pop-Up Pursuit

You, Me and the Cubes

Eco Shooter: Plant 530

Snowpack Park

ThruSpace

Line Attack Heroes

Fluidity

Wii-U

P-100

Panorama View

Nintendo Land

X

Nintendo DS

Polarium

Nintendogs

Jump Super Stars

Electroplankton

Big Brain Academy

Brain Age

Clubhouse Games

Magnetica

Elite Beat Agents

Hotel Dusk: Room 215

Trace Memory

Master of Illusion

Slide Adventure MAGKID

Soma Bringer

Jam with the Band

Fossil Fighters

Style Savvy

Glory of Heracles

Friend Collection

Walk with me! Do you know your walking routine?

Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What To Eat?

Dsi

Aura Aura Climber

Art Academy

Kappa Trail

Pinball Pulse: The Ancient Beckons

Nintendo 3ds

Steel Diver

3DS Ware

Harmo Knight

Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!

Pushmo

Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword

Dillon's Rolling Western

Ketzal's Corridors

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#57 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

@lordlors: Nintendo.........lol

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13672 Posts

Nope, I've given Nintendo more than a fair shot with the GC and Wii. No nostalgia about it, Nintendo magic died with the N64.

It's not even that I played on another console and my tastes changed. I was a hardcore Nintendo fanboy. I only got an Xbox much later after I was tired of just how bad the GameCube was. I was still making excuses for Nintendo when the Wii came out.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@lordlors said:

They refuse to see and play the new Nintendo games. Without really playing them they think right away it's the same game from the past. They deem people buying the new Nintendo games, controlled by nostalgia, when they themselves always think of the past Nintendo. How ironic.

Someone who isn't controlled by nostalgia but by familiarity will be open to the new Nintendo games and excited to find out what has evolved and what is new to the franchises. He wouldn't think much of the past games but see the new games by themselves in modern standards.

Just like OoT and SS. OoT may have had a great impact to a lot of people when it came out but to someone not blinded by nostalgia, SS or even TP surpasses it. OoT hasn't really aged well. I have just played OoT this gen for the very first time and although the game is great I do not find it to be breathtaking.

And what if I HAVE played the new Nintendo games, and found nearly most of them to be one or more of the following: unambitious, disappointing, rehashed, flawed or flat out shitty?

What if I think Zelda Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were set in boring sterile worlds, with loads of dull padding as they followed the decade+ Ocarina formula slavishly? What if I think Metroid Prime 3 was the worst of the trilogy (though still great) and that Other M was a mess? What if I think Smash and Mario Kart on the Wii were casualised and worse than their Gamecube versions? What if I think that Wario and Kirby were simplistic sidescrollers, bested by 5 euro XBLA titles? What if I think that Batallion Wars and Fire Emblem on Wii were identical to their Gamecube versions in both gameplay and graphics? What if I think that Super Paper Mario is a decent platformer but waste of the Paper Mario RPG franchise? What if I think New Super Mario Brothers has been rehashed into the ground? What if I think the various party, fitness and minigame collections have likewise been run into the ground? What if I have played many of @HarlockJC's list of new IPs and found many to be crap? Wii Play and Disaster? Seriously?

Look, on their day Nintendo still do make some of the absolute best games in the world. Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Xenoblade, The Last Story (and possibly Pandora's Tower which I have yet to play) were amazing, awesome, AAA, blockbuster, system seller, (insert more hyperbole here), games. I love them and will happily remember them for the rest of my life, and replay them too I'm sure. Mario Land looks to continue that quality on WiiU.

But **** off if you think you can lump EVERYTHING they make into that category. Nintendo DO make a lot disappointing, meh, rehashed or flat out bad games. You aren't a fanboy for pointing that out.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 HarlockJC

@locopatho: lol..I knew someone was going to take out some random IPs that were either not that good or they did not like personally. It's a huge list with a large number of IPs. It's not a list of the best or worse IP's, just a list of all the new Nintendo IPs within the last two gens. The list is also about a year old.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 locopatho

@Pikminmaniac said:

A good example of this is Skyward Sword. People expect Zelda to be a certain way, but when Nintendo offers a new experience with the franchise a lot of people put it down because it doesn't have the elements that made them love Ocarina of Time or A Link to the Past and ignore all the new ideas it does extremely well.

Dude that makes no sense. Majora and Windwaker were loved for being new and exciting while Twilight Princess was bashed for being too similar to Ocarina.

Skyward Sword suffered from slow, boring, padded pacing, constant hints and needless dialogue, and a sterile and pointless overworld. Yeah it had good elements too, it's not a bad game, but don't pretend there's a bunch of Zelda hipsters in Link outfits complaining purely because it's not enough like Ocarina. That is not why it is bashed.

Meanwhile people (including me) are super hyped for Link Between Worlds because it's DIFFERENT from the same old Zelda formula: the renting of items makes the entire world open and completly changes the gameplay: people are PRAISING this change to the stale old dungeon 1, item 1, dungeon 2, item 2, etc, formula.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 locopatho

@HarlockJC:

I know, I've seen it before. I just don't see the point in listing crappy games. It'd be like someone listing Lair or Haze as a PS3 new IP. Yeah technically true but who cares bout bad games?

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By HarlockJC

@locopatho said:

@HarlockJC:

I know, I've seen it before. I just don't see the point in listing crappy games. It'd be like someone listing Lair or Haze as a PS3 new IP. Yeah technically true but who cares bout bad games?

Many Reasons....Being a bad games can be very subjective. I personally enjoy Wii Sports and Nintendo Land, but most would see those as bad IPs. There always fans of what some would call bad IPs, there are even gamers out there who like Lair and Haze. Then on top of that a large number of those IPs I have never played so I can not really judge. Then the last most important reason, it's easier to hit copy and paste than it is to be selective and read the whole list myself. The poster asked for a list of all new Nintendo IPs in the last two gens, that the list he got.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#64 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@Gargus said:

Nostalgia? No not really.

Its just simply a fact Nintendo has been jerking off the same franchises over and over and over again with sequels, spinoffs and re-releases. The only original ideas they have had in a decade were wii music and steel diver.

Look at new super Mario wiiu for instance. Its the exact same game, same play style and same art style as new super Mario wii, new super Mario 1, and new super Mario 2. And of course you have new luigi wiiu. All of those games are still based on the same like 25+ year old Mario formula.

Pokémon hasn't changed a single bit aside from better graphics and it always has the same annual pokemon dungeon spinoff.

The new wiiu game donkey kong country freeze is the same as all the other donkey kong country games.

Smash bros is still the same game.

Mario kart has what like 8 or 9 entries that are still the same thing.

And so on. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, pokemon, donkey kong, Kirby, its always the same franchise names over and over again. Hell even the wiiu's biggest game this year was windwaker which is just a remake of a 10 year old game that's not even in the top 5 best Zelda games.

So a lot of Nintendo fans aren't nostalgia for old Nintendo games because were still playing the exact same old Nintendo games as we have been for decades now. They reminisce about the old nes and snes days because back then the games were and exciting, they were fresh and original because they were still new to us but now we harken back to those days because that was a period of time before the games were rehashed for the 87th time.

I mean no one likes the new die hard movies. The last couple were god awful and most die hard fans always go back to the first one as being the best, its not that they are nostalgic, its just the series has been bled so damn dry that the only good thing about is the original. Its the exact same thing with Nintendo games.

So you can whine and complain and try to sound insightful and savvy all you want in a attempt to try and tell me Im wrong but you wont change my opinion. I don't hate Nintendo, but I do not enjoy their games anymore because they are stale and worn out. They have absolutely no original ideas at all anymore and can not actually create something.

Saying New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Mario Bros are exactly the same is like saying Super Mario Bros. 3 and World are the Same. (Here's a Hint. They're not)

Both have different unique set of Powerups and abilities, One has the Mega Mushroom while the other has the Squirrel suit, another game has power ups that generate Coins and the Other has the Timer set to 100. The Art Style is the same, but that hardly calls it the same game. You can use this argument on the Call of Duty games, while the franchise seems stagnant and unevolving I will not/should not call Each CoD game "The Same Game".

Pokemon has DRASTICALLY changed since the Gameboy Era. Just because the Game LOOKS the same doesn't mean it IS the same. This is more so apparent in the Newest Additions of the Franchise, No longer do you have to go to a Pokemon Center for Link Trades nor is it any Harder for you to find Shiny Pokemon it's never been this easy, and from what I can remember Pokemon Dungeon is a relatively new franchise that started late GBA to Early DS era, and that game is so far off the Pokemon Formula it hurts.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is the 2nd of the "New" Donkey Kong Series to hark back to the original Trilogy that were released nearly 20 years ago, after DKC3 and not including Remakes for the GBA there really hasn't been a Donkey Kong Game quite like the Original Trilogy till Returns in 2010.

Each Smash Bros Game is INCREDIBLY DIFFERENT from each other, I don't want to go into details of each one, but I will note that Melee is Faster than both Super and Brawl, Brawl has Stupid Trips and Online Play, and Super has a Small Line up list.

Mario Kart...I seriously can't believe anyone would hate this game at all. This is like saying Froza or Gran Turismo is lame because all you do is race.

All you spewed out was that you don't even play Nintendo games.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

@judaspete said:

It always amuses me how people will bash Nintendo for making the same game over and over, then turn around and by 4 Gears of War games, 4 Halos, 6 Assassins Creeds and 8 CoDs in a single generation without batting an eye.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#66 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

That's some funny stuff.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

@locopatho said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

Dude that makes no sense. Majora and Windwaker were loved for being new and exciting while Twilight Princess was bashed for being too similar to Ocarina.

Skyward Sword suffered from slow, boring, padded pacing, constant hints and needless dialogue, and a sterile and pointless overworld. Yeah it had good elements too, it's not a bad game, but don't pretend there's a bunch of Zelda hipsters in Link outfits complaining purely because it's not enough like Ocarina. That is not why it is bashed.

Meanwhile people (including me) are super hyped for Link Between Worlds because it's DIFFERENT from the same old Zelda formula: the renting of items makes the entire world open and completly changes the gameplay: people are PRAISING this change to the stale old dungeon 1, item 1, dungeon 2, item 2, etc, formula.

It took some time before people came around on both Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. I expect the same to happen for Skyward Sword. It takes time before people see what's so valuable and I do believe there is that group that bashes Nintendo games because they don't fill the role they did from their past like the TC said. It doesn't comprise all the haters, but I feel it's still a portion of them.

P.S. Yeah ALBW is being universally praised. It's fantastic. It seems that open endedness is just something everybody takes to.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@lordlors: Skyward Sword did NOT Surpass OoT at all... I'm not blinded by nostalgia, I just hated all the padded puzzles and Fi for me to enjoy the game.

OoT is still my favorite just due to the impact and shock value of just how much better that game was than anything else I had ever played at the time I played it. Looking at it objectively, though, Skyward Sword was probably better.

@turtlethetaffer Of all the things to complain about, I thought its pacing was excellent. The game had tons of action throughout. The only downtime was running around Skyloft.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 locopatho

@Pikminmaniac said:

@locopatho said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

It took some time before people came around on both Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. I expect the same to happen for Skyward Sword. It takes time before people see what's so valuable and I do believe there is that group that bashes Nintendo games because they don't fill the role they did from their past like the TC said. It doesn't comprise all the haters, but I feel it's still a portion of them.

P.S. Yeah ALBW is being universally praised. It's fantastic. It seems that open endedness is just something everybody takes to.

I genuinely think people just adore innovation. The latest New Super Mario Brothers games are without a doubt bigger, better and more polished than the original NES Super Mario Brothers... but people will always prefer a crazy ass innovator to refined sequels. Imo.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

@locopatho said:

@lordlors said:

They refuse to see and play the new Nintendo games. Without really playing them they think right away it's the same game from the past. They deem people buying the new Nintendo games, controlled by nostalgia, when they themselves always think of the past Nintendo. How ironic.

Someone who isn't controlled by nostalgia but by familiarity will be open to the new Nintendo games and excited to find out what has evolved and what is new to the franchises. He wouldn't think much of the past games but see the new games by themselves in modern standards.

Just like OoT and SS. OoT may have had a great impact to a lot of people when it came out but to someone not blinded by nostalgia, SS or even TP surpasses it. OoT hasn't really aged well. I have just played OoT this gen for the very first time and although the game is great I do not find it to be breathtaking.

And what if I HAVE played the new Nintendo games, and found nearly most of them to be one or more of the following: unambitious, disappointing, rehashed, flawed or flat out shitty?

What if I think Zelda Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were set in boring sterile worlds, with loads of dull padding as they followed the decade+ Ocarina formula slavishly? What if I think Metroid Prime 3 was the worst of the trilogy (though still great) and that Other M was a mess? What if I think Smash and Mario Kart on the Wii were casualised and worse than their Gamecube versions? What if I think that Wario and Kirby were simplistic sidescrollers, bested by 5 euro XBLA titles? What if I think that Batallion Wars and Fire Emblem on Wii were identical to their Gamecube versions in both gameplay and graphics? What if I think that Super Paper Mario is a decent platformer but waste of the Paper Mario RPG franchise? What if I think New Super Mario Brothers has been rehashed into the ground? What if I think the various party, fitness and minigame collections have likewise been run into the ground? What if I have played many of @HarlockJC's list of new IPs and found many to be crap? Wii Play and Disaster? Seriously?

Look, on their day Nintendo still do make some of the absolute best games in the world. Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Xenoblade, The Last Story (and possibly Pandora's Tower which I have yet to play) were amazing, awesome, AAA, blockbuster, system seller, (insert more hyperbole here), games. I love them and will happily remember them for the rest of my life, and replay them too I'm sure. Mario Land looks to continue that quality on WiiU.

But **** off if you think you can lump EVERYTHING they make into that category. Nintendo DO make a lot disappointing, meh, rehashed or flat out bad games. You aren't a fanboy for pointing that out.

Hmm... Where in my post do I imply EVERY new Nintendo game is good or better than the past? The fact that the Galaxy games, DKCR, etc. exist proves my point. A lot of Nintendo haters here think those games you deem amazing are just rehashes of the past games. Nintendo, a single company, develops and publishes a lot of games similar to the big publishers such as Ubisoft and EA unlike Sony and MS. I think it's common knowledge that eventually there will be bad games. Give me one company that has the same quantity output as EA with the quality output similar to Blizzard and Valve. What makes SS great is its dungeon and puzzle designs. OoT was dull and sterile for me having played the newer Zeldas first.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

@AznbkdX said:

@Jakandsigz: Well everything is a random assumption. Keep in mind that all we have here is a hive of gamers with opinions. Its the only logical sample until something more concrete that should be used comes up.

Still don't understand what the error with Layton is all about. Just another pointless remark I guess.

Pointless remark? You are failing to defend the TC as the other guy did making mistakes. Like thinking that the same fanboyisms that have always been on this board is not a :"logical sample" it's not logical at all. Explain how it is? You are excluding conditions that can screw with results.

I'm not defending the TC really. I don't necessarily agree or disagree at all, but still feel that it is a valid argument based on SW. Just pointing out that people make mistakes and its not apart of the op at all, and that the usage of SW in general is normally the only real way to go unless you can find much better evidence. Maybe you can, maybe you can't but I just feel that generally this subject is something decent to complain about on here.

I say it's logical only because it's the closest thing you can use for debate. Any other sample outside of SW would be farther reaching and require more effort to understand peoples stances on certain opinions. If you are to get a good sample out of those folks then you just found a much more accurate representation, but I just can't see it tbh especially when talking about the lower effort of SW in general. A couple articles could probably do a better job I guess which would fill the criteria a bit better.

Overall the current SW stance is illogical as there is no real way to understand EVERYONE'S opinions on everything, but its the most logical to use if you are being rather exclusive (also illogical like you pointed out). You are right about that part, but it's still is the closest thing we got until otherwise. Once again I'll just say that I'm not saying he's right or wrong based on what he thinks are the opinions of SW, but think its a good point to make but uses some sort of measure even if its based in an echo chamber that may sound differently to all fan boys. He thinks the people on here are not fans because he selectively reads the nintendo hate, etc.

Pretty much saying it's a valid argument to make but weak in this condition, and is overall in this state still something that is heavily influenced by fanboyism. Opinionated things do tend to end up this way usually so it's no different here.

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#72 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

This point extends to the Pokemon franchise as well. (Another Nintendo exclusive ehhh?)

Blinded by nostalgia thinking the first few games still stand up to all of the recent titles.

Thank god there is still a point in coming to system wars. Even if it is because of one poster.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

DAMAGE CONTROL ENTERING THE RING!!!

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#74  Edited By chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I don't know really I mean I love going back to the likes of Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario 64 from time to time because of the experience. I mean SMB3 beats the hell out of the 2D Marios since 2006 but that wasn't to say they were bad games just not as good as the masterpiece the Super Mario Bros 3 was.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

This thread makes no sense. If it's nostalgia then why do people want Nintendo to create new IPs that aren't Zelda and Mario? That's why they're accusing them of making the same thing, not nostalgia. Nintendo and their fans are the ones blinded by nostalgia because they cannot let go of their precious franchises and look towards something new. Nintendo has chosen this path of catering to nostalgia again and what do they have to show for it? Sloppy Wii U sales...

Zoso813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Zoso813
Member since 2013 • 310 Posts

What? Nintendo needs to create new IPs. It's been 35 years of Mario. Mario is great and all, but how often do you see people still interested in characters/movies that they liked as kids? Most people develop a taste for depth and change as time goes on, and Nintendo unfortunately does not personify either of those qualities.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#77 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

@hiphops_savior: without those recognisable characters nintendo would be done the wii U is only surviving because of nostalga what was the last new ip released by them

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@lordlors said:

Nintendo haters are the ones blinded by nostalgia

What about blind People? Are Blind People nostalgia'd by Nintendo? For god's sake, at least tell me that Nostalgia is hated by blind Nintendo. I hope we live in a world where the answer is, "obviously yes."

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#79 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

@judaspete said:

there are also a lot of totally new IPs that don't offer anything original in gameplay.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Champ, you really got to play Mario and Luigi SuperStar Saga sometime. One of the masterpieces of gaming and truly a 10/10 from me.

Played it, thought it was great. Prefer Thousand Year Door as my Mario RPG fix, though I get the fans that drool over Super Mario RPG.

But I do want to point out how how the Mario and Luigi and Paper Mario series had those excellent games, and then their follow ups include the likes of Partners in Time(yuck), and the sleeping pill that was Super Paper Mario before they went and made Sticker Star.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By lordlors

@Crossel777 said:

This thread makes no sense. If it's nostalgia then why do people want Nintendo to create new IPs that aren't Zelda and Mario? That's why they're accusing them of making the same thing, not nostalgia. Nintendo and their fans are the ones blinded by nostalgia because they cannot let go of their precious franchises and look towards something new. Nintendo has chosen this path of catering to nostalgia again and what do they have to show for it? Sloppy Wii U sales...

Apparently, you don't understand what nostalgia means. It means yearning of the past, preference of the past. If Nintendo were catering to nostalgia all they make would be remakes of the past games. Remakes cater to the crowd filled with nostalgia. People who want a remake of a past game are the ones who are nostalgic. People want to play the new installments not because of nostalgia but because they're familiar with the franchises and would be excited to see what's different. Nintendo has made new IPs but they apparently aren't enough for people here. They want Nintendo to make a Skyrim-like RPG, a GoW style action game, etc. basically just games from other platforms. If people really wanted to see original titles from Nintendo they would be thinking of indie games not those Skyrim, GTA, etc. And lastly, do you see a person wanting Bethesda to create a Mario/Rayman like platformer? I don't think so.

Zoso813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Zoso813
Member since 2013 • 310 Posts

@lordlors said:

@Crossel777 said:

Apparently, you don't understand what nostalgia means. It means yearning of the past, preference of the past. If Nintendo were catering to nostalgia all they make would be remakes of the past games. Remakes cater to the crowd filled with nostalgia. People who want a remake of a past game are the ones who are nostalgic. People want to play the new installments not because of nostalgia but because they're familiar with the franchises and would be excited to see what's different. Nintendo has made new IPs but they apparently aren't enough for people here. They want Nintendo to make a Skyrim-like RPG, a GoW style action game, etc. basically just games from other platforms. If people really wanted to see original titles from Nintendo they would be thinking of indie games not those Skyrim, GTA, etc. And lastly, do you see a person wanting Bethesda to create a Mario/Rayman like platformer? I don't think so.

You're putting word into peoples' mouths. People just want Nintendo to heavily invest in new IPs, like every other developer already has in the past 30 years.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

I don't hate Nintendo.

To this day I still consider the SNES the greatest console ever made.

I just don't have much interest in their games these days. I loved the Mario and Zelda franchises as a kid, but they just don't do it for me anymore.

And if I did ever happen to pick up a WiiU or other Nintendo system in the future, it definitely wouldn't be my primary console. No way I'm missing out on The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, GTA, Uncharted, Red Dead, etc.

anybodykilla15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#84 anybodykilla15
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

when I want to kill things,

I turn to ps4 and xbox one, that is their sole purpose,

but when I wanna play an actual designed game,

that hasn't been focused tested,

littered with stilted writing and terrible characters,

and games that don't get worse because developers find more and more to take out every iteration,

only to put it back in the 3rd or 4th game in the franchise......

that is when I pick up a Nintendo console,

kid Icarus uprising shits on anything from sony and ms,

from a fucking skyscraper, history will remember games like those,

not gears of war 3, or halo 3, not even fucking last of us

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By lordlors
@Zoso813 said:

@lordlors said:

@Crossel777 said:

You're putting word into peoples' mouths. People just want Nintendo to heavily invest in new IPs, like every other developer already has in the past 30 years.

What is it with the craze for new IPs when there are indeed new IPs like Pushmo and Xenoblade? Why do you expect a new IP from Nintendo with similar quality to Mario and Zelda? Why do they have to make a platformer or an action adventure game just with a different character? All those new mechanics and designs they thought of they used it on their franchises. Why do they have to bother to put it into a new IP? Why do you want Nintendo to create new IPs for genres in which they are not known for? Does anybody expect Valve to create an RTS or Blizzard to make a dating simulation? See other developers made new IPs but for genres in which they are good at. I can still remember that not so good Sonic game made by Bioware, a renowned company. Nintendo is a single company able to produce games in a variety of genres. That in itself is already a great feat.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

@anybodykilla15 said:

when I want to kill things,

I turn to ps4 and xbox one, that is their sole purpose,

but when I wanna play an actual designed game,

that hasn't been focused tested,

littered with stilted writing and terrible characters,

and games that don't get worse because developers find more and more to take out every iteration,

only to put it back in the 3rd or 4th game in the franchise......

that is when I pick up a Nintendo console,

kid Icarus uprising shits on anything from sony and ms,

from a fucking skyscraper, history will remember games like those,

not gears of war 3, or halo 3, not even fucking last of us

Halo? **** it

Gears of War? **** it

GTA? **** it

But The Last of Us?

That game without a doubt will go down as one of the greatest achievements in videogame history. There was more emotion invested in the characters and story of that game than the majority of movies these days.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#87 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@Zoso813: So Endless Ocean, Professor Layton, Xenoblade, Rhythm Heaven isn't new enough for you?

New IP=/= generic clone with new story

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#88 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@hiphops_savior said:

@Zoso813: So Endless Ocean, Professor Layton, Xenoblade, Rhythm Heaven isn't new enough for you?

New IP=/= generic clone with new story

Professor Layton isn't a Nintendo owned IP.

However You can only play it on a Nintendo console at this time and if you want to put it in that perspective, Nintendo has been getting quite a few "New IPs".

One of the Better Ones for the Generation would be No More Heroes.