Next Xbox in 2017/18?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ldustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By ldustin
Member since 2014 • 133 Posts

We've seen the speculation that MS may move forward with a new platform earlier in the life of the X1 than they did with 360. And we've already seen what they have in R&D with HoloLens. MS launched the 360 in the 4th year of the XboxPrime (I don't know what the hell to call these things anymore), so a launch between fall 2017 & fall 2018; under the pressure of the NX launch this fall, is a very real possibility if the company decides to push forward with one last crack at the console industry.

My opinion is that the company should do what is best for profits and the IP exposure-- shutter Xbox and go exclusive to Nintendo so to open their brands to the Japanese market. But assuming the company elects to go ahead with a new console; what do you see as MS' path forward? All-digital console? HBM fueled beast? HoloLens replaces Xbox? Feel free to follow my format below.

Branding: Drop the Xbox name and create a totally new product name.

Hardware: 16nm AMD GPU, 12GB DDR4, 2GB HBM1

Controller: Return of the Sidewinder Dual Strike design but with dual analog sticks, analog triggers, and a higher quality, spring-loaded junction between the two hemispheres of the pad. Instead of it simply being a large analog socket, both hemispheres of the controller could house gyroscopes to provide control input. This would introduce a sort of bound motion control with tactile feedback.

Software: What made Microsoft's bed in the console industry was original IP. They launched with an exclusive football title and Halo (in addition to the third Oddworld title). I would suggest launching with Halo 6 but also surrounding it with nothing but new IPs.

-Instead of another Forza-- put the team to work on a free-roam adventure title that features their high quality driving experience.

-Instead of a sequel to Killer Instinct, create a new fighting title. I would like to see a serious fighter in the vein of Fight Night that calls back to old martial arts films like Game of Death, Enter the Dragon, Kickboxer, and Bloodsport.

-Begin building a team immediately to create an exclusive NCAA football title for launch.

-Set Halo 6 entirely upon a Halo and design the campaign as one large, free roam landscape of valleys and ridges. Focus the multiplayer around Forge, divide multiplayer between Classic (Spartan v Spartan) and Cross Species (featuring Elites, Brutes, Skirmishers, and new aliens), and permit the use of NPC Grunts like Pikmin.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

I think this all depends on NX some. If NX comes out strong, then this could force right into your fall 2017/2018. I would guess the new systems from Microsoft and Sony release in 2018-2020.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

Nah... 2017/18 seems a little early to me.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

I would imagine it will release in 2018.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Self referencing speculation doesn't qualify as an indication. The only one who might be forced to move new hardware out will be Sony, who might need to put out another handheld if the NX turns out to be a hybrid and totally steals third party Japanese support from Sony. To put it simply, it will release when it fails to have any market viability either for the hardware, the games, and the XBLG service. That's pretty much when anybody does it.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6  Edited By khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

2018 at the earliest, 2019 most likely. It's highly dependent on the NX, I think.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

2019 for ps4. Sony will need some time to see if VR needs to be a major consideration for the next console or not. They also need a low-power gpa that is capable of 4k graphics in game and that is simply not happening before late 2018/ early 2019 and you must consider punching final development kits before a retail release.

As for xbox. I think they are at the drawing board as we speak. They need a "re-roll" because their brand is damaged. Don't be surprised if Scalebound got pushed back to be an XBOX Two launch title.

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 naughtyottsel
Member since 2016 • 1801 Posts

I doubt it, 2019 is more likely.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

I created a similar thread not too long ago. I truly believe Microsoft will try and launch their next system ahead of Sony as they are getting their butts kicked this generation. The biggest disappointment for them this gen has to be losing to Sony in NA as they were so dominant their in the previous generation with the 360. I think Microsoft could and should release their next console in 2018 if they want to take back NA.

Lastly, neither Microsoft or Sony would feel pressured by the NX as Nintendo is pretty much irrelevant in the console space.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I'm thinking 2019 too.
I love reading posts from the XB1/PS4 launch. 10 years people said. Can you imagine the XB1/PS4 being the mainstream consoles all the way up to 2023?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

If they do that it will flop even faster than the wii u.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By emgesp

@tormentos said:

No it wouldn't. 5 yrs is the perfect time to release new hardware. The Wii U flopped because it was an overpriced 7th gen level console, with lackluster third party support and a gimmicky oversized controller. The next Xbox won't have any of those issues.

Plus, you have to take into consideration that the transition to the PS5 and XB4 will be very smooth as I'm sure both Sony and Microsoft will take a linear approach to the hardware. All PS4/XB1 digital purchases should be able to be transferred to the next-gen consoles without a hitch as they will offer native BC.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

I'm thinking 2020. I'm buried in games on xbox one and backwards compatibility. Then with focus on exclusives/console excluisves, just too much to play.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@emgesp: It flopped because it was positioned in the market as a less expensive alternative to the two powerhouse consoles. ...until one of said consoles cut its price almost in half before it's first birthday..

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 emgesp

@BigBadBully said:

I'm thinking 2020. I'm buried in games on xbox one and backwards compatibility. Then with focus on exclusives/console excluisves, just too much to play.

2020? These consoles will have long run out of gas by then. This generation of consoles is more like a stopgap gen. Next consoles will come sooner than expected because of this.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

2019-20 is my guess

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

2019 at the earliest. 2020 for the next gen consoles is my guess.

With the new consoles will come more powerful hardware and with that comes higher development costs. Think about the AAA budgets we have right now. We're getting to the point where the AAA gaming industry is no longer sustainable.

The PS4 and Xbone selling very well with great software sales has been a blessing for developers. No way they want to give it up so soon.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I think that all console generations should be 4-5 years. Technology is evolving far too fast to be trying to hold onto a console 8 years later. Besides since the twins made the jump and became fake PCs, there's no console 'tricks' that developers learn later on in the consoles life. I hope that we see a new Xbox next year when HBM becomes more commonplace.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

After the NX dies MS will take its time. Also, what speculation.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

17/18 way to early if you ask me. I think 19 would be perfect for a new console launch. That and the new consoles should properly support VR hardware wise.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#21  Edited By freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

still way too early for MS to release a new console, a new version is much more realistic, like a slim X-1

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Next Xbox in 2017/18?

I don´t think so.

A newer version like a slim version ? probably by 2018

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

I don't think so. Microsoft still has yet to release a slim redesign of X1, and there's plenty of opportunity to expand and bolster interest in it through extensive and aggressive marketing like Sony did for the PS3 Slim.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

It won't happen but i'd certainly like to see it happen. I expect next gen to launch Fall 2019 but announced E3 2018.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@tormentos said:

Not really, 5 years is about your average Generation, i doubt these console will do a ten year cycle like the last gen they are already showing there age when compared to the PC.

We will see new consoles by 2019/2020 at the latest i reckon.

gtx021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gtx021
Member since 2013 • 515 Posts

after titan X II is outated

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Naw, 2019 seems about right. 5-7 year life cycle.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

IMO I'm sure MS is at the drawing board right now. Just like everyone else that are waiting to see what Nintendo does. If NX comes out and it's more powerful than PS4 and Xbox One, I think MS pulls the trigger and some kind of new Xbox drops the following year after NX. If NX is weaker or on par with PS4 and Xbox One I think MS stays the course and releases something 2019 or later.

I am all for MS releasing something early, as long as everything for the new system MS makes is completely backwards compatible. Let me use my Xbox One Elite controller on it. Rockband/guitar Hero stuff on it, basically give me a new beefed up system that I don't need to buy anything else with.

ldustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ldustin
Member since 2014 • 133 Posts

Some of you are worried too much about the launch date. Any later than 2018 would be out of the norm.

If NX is a 28nm platform then it likely won't make waves in the industry. If NX is the first 16nm console (with HBM), then you can bet on MS getting motivated to launch in 2017 or even mid-2018. We are talking about a potential generational leap in graphics-- PSX compared to Dreamcast.

@flyincloud1116 said:

After the NX dies MS will take its time. Also, what speculation.

http://wccftech.com/exclusive-next-generation-consoles-expected-2018-amd/

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/consoles/amd-believes-the-ps5-and-xbox-two-will-launch-sooner-than-you-probably-think-1252546

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#31 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Sony will try to take the PS4 until the year 3000. Right now they have one of the fastest selling consoles in history and they are far from having a game library to justify it. So they are pretty comfortable. But for sure MS will join Nintendo and try to shorten this gen and that will force Sony to do something. If that moment comes I imagine that Sony will spread some rumours about an hypothetical PS5 to buy some time and keep their clients engaged, possibly further ahead delaying it and finally making a release in 2020/2021.

Speculations apart, I guess everyone now has it's eyes on Nintendo to see what exactly is the NX and how/if it will succeed. If Nintendo pulls a miracle the NX might as well change our concept of what is a home console, making current formats obsolete. Hell, historically Nintendo has proven that it can have a deep impact in gaming even when their platforms are not an huge success. But in all honesty this gen could last the same as the previous. Even the Wii U, I'm quite happy with it.