Next gen console not outperforming similar specs pc by much

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for endlessinfinity
EndlessInfinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By EndlessInfinity
Member since 2013 • 231 Posts

I was looking at some of leandrro video I'm sure you guys are already familiar with leandrro threads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj6yOPNLssY

PC with 7850 hd 2GB running ac4 maxed 30fps

including other youtube channels who have pc with PC either slightly more powerful or with a GPU more or less powerful than the one in the PS4. Based on setting and fps that they got from playing games like BF4, AC4, and a few other titles that are also on next gen they aren't running any better than their pc counterparts. My friend pc has a 7850 HD 2GB with a i5 3.1 GHz.

He said the ps4 version of AC4 wasn't really running or looking much better than the pc version, but oddly after playing the pc version longer he believes in runs better. I would assume that with the whole optimization advantage these console have they would blow away pc with similar spec or comparable in processing power yet they aren't. I keep on hearing people say that you need twice the so called teraflops to match a console. I have seen no evidence you need a pc with the 3x times the power to match console games.

bloodlust_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 bloodlust_101
Member since 2003 • 2764 Posts

1. Generation just started

2. No custom made experimental hardware

3. i5 3.1ghz? Seriously..?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

cool story bro

EndlessInfinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EndlessInfinity

@lostrib:

Something wrong with the embedding so here a link

HD7850 2gb running AC4 on ultra everything maxed with 30fps. AC4 on ps4 is 30fps not sure what setting its on.

Intel Core i5‑3350P 3.1GHz

EndlessInfinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EndlessInfinity

@bloodlust_101: its a i5 2400 who's clock speed is 3.1 ghz so yes

Intel Core i5‑3350P 3.1GHz

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

The problem is that pc will probably barely run the next AC.

PinkieWinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PinkieWinkie
Member since 2006 • 1454 Posts

That same pc will not be able to keep up with the ps4 and x1 3 years from now

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

If you mean they said you need three times the teraflop I assuming they are going by what John Carmack said but misunderstood what he said.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CroidX

@AM-Gamer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilaUEsFzB2M

Intel Core Duo 2 E6600@2.4GHz

3GB 332MHz DDR2 RAM

PCIe x16 7800 GTX 256MB

250GB Hitachi HDD

1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

This guy has a pc with nearly identical gpu to last gen console yet he's playing deadspace 2 a game from 2011 with similar performance to last gen console.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

My friends, until consoles start producing sophisticated titles like Total War or Civ, it will be child like movie games with very little interactive.

. All the special effects in the world didn't stop the Transformers movies from being a terrible movies. Likewise, more powerful hardware will not allow console users to enjoy sophisticated mature titles the pc enjoys. The fact the platforms celebrate titles like Last of Us is testament to just how low the industry has become.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CroidX

@SEANMCAD: I think what he meant was that pc won't be optimize as well in the coming years but we yet to see how well it will run.

EndlessInfinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EndlessInfinity

@AM-Gamer:

It has yet to be released with nothing to back your statement so its invalid

SuddenlyTragic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SuddenlyTragic
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

Consoles over time eventually surpass PC's with relatively similar specs and over more time can even perform better in some games than PCs with superior hardware.

First hand experience: When the Xbox 360 first launched, my now ancient GeForce 6800 GT (which came out in early 2004 I think - don't quote me on that, too lazy to look it up) performed significantly better in Quake 4 and Prey, two launch window games for the 360. However, that card probably wasn't even supported for games like Crysis 2/3 or Battlefield 3 which also released on consoles.

In 2007 I upgraded to a GeForce 8800 GTS which was $600 at the time. It blew away the console competition. However, a few years later that same graphics card was considered the minimum requirement for Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3 and the console versions looked and ran significantly better.

PinkieWinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PinkieWinkie

@seamless: I am saying that exact hardware set up in the OP won't keep up with a ps4 and x1 in the future. Yes pcs get software updates too, but 3 years from now devs will create games more optimized for the exact hardware in the consoles, but PC games have to run on a wide range of hardware

MeganFocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MeganFocks
Member since 2014 • 162 Posts

@endlessinfinity said:

I was looking at some of leandrro video I'm sure you guys are already familiar with leandrro threads.

including other youtube channels who have pc with PC either slightly more powerful or with a GPU more or less powerful than the one in the PS4. Based on setting and fps that they got from playing games like BF4, AC4, and a few other titles that are also on next gen they aren't running any better than their pc counterparts. My friend pc has a 7850 HD 2GB with a i5 3.1 GHz.

He said the ps4 version of AC4 wasn't really running or looking much better than the pc version, but oddly after playing the pc version longer he believes in runs better. I would assume that with the whole optimization advantage these console have they would blow away pc with similar spec or comparable in processing power yet they aren't. I keep on hearing people say that you need twice the so called teraflops to match a console. I have seen no evidence you need a pc with the 3x times the power to match console games.

Yeah but that PC will easily cost more than the PS4 and X1 combined and in 3 years (like other hermits already stated) it won't be able to run any game with the same graphics as the X1, let alone the PS4.

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarthRamms
Member since 2013 • 1128 Posts

@meganfocks:

no herm ever said it won't run games in three years and no that pc won't cost over 900 dollars

EndlessInfinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EndlessInfinity

@PinkieWinkie:

You do realize over time pc hardware also get optimize. How is it that a 8800 gtx that is as old like the ps3 run game better than last gen console in seven years? CroidX showed a video of a pc with a identical GPU to last gen console still playing a game in 2011 with similar console performance.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

@bloodlust_101 said:

An i5 that's already 3 years old, lol.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@meganfocks said:

@endlessinfinity said:

Yeah but that PC will easily cost more than the PS4 and X1 combined and in 3 years (like other hermits already stated) it won't be able to run any game with the same graphics as the X1, let alone the PS4.

900 dollars will get you better than a 7850

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

@bloodlust_101 said:

An i5 that's already 3 years old, lol.

There's people playing AC4 on max settings with a Phenom 2 X4s and a 7870/7850/Nvidia equivalent. Those Phenoms are nearly 5 years old, lawl.

PinkieWinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PinkieWinkie

@Endlessinfinity: so you think an 8800 would run games like gta 4 & 5? Or the last of us?

EndlessInfinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EndlessInfinity

@PinkieWinkie:

An 8800 can run GTA 4 lol Also none of those other two games have pc support, but it can run games like Crysis 2, Tomb raider 2013 and Bioshock Infinite just find. Not only that it can run recent games at 1080p something last gen is unable to do.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

The issue here are the CPU's.

Per CPU cycle a PS4/Xbone will be more efficient in terms of getting more out fo the GPu than a PC running a pure Direct X engine. By how much depends on which version of DX the engine runs on.

However, these batch of consoles have tablet level CPU's. Sure they feature 8 cores, but each core's performance is piss poor. So there is essentially no difference in performance ina real world scenerio givent hat even low end gaming PC's feature much more powerful CPU's. The console's efficiency essentially goes toward evening out the disparity here.

What's interesting is what happens in the near and long term.

On consoles, multi-threading CPu workloads becomes priority number 1. Decoupling several GPU processes/rendering pipeline processes form the CPU should mean the consoles iwll see a boost in performance. However, that same boost will also apply to PC's as these types of optimizations should carry very well on to the PC platform.

End result? Same deal, Consoles get more performance, but PC's will gain MORE thanks to the same optimizations.

The last recourse then is the fixed hardware and some specialized hardware that devs can access on those platforms, that should boost performance up too.... except that those same types of lower level optimizations are ALSO coming to the PC. Mantle and Nvidia extensions for DX and OpenGL, as well as Steam OS optimizations at the OS level mean that PC's, once again will benefit for the same thig happening on the consoles. Although to a smaller degree.

But that doesn't matter. Even to a smaller degree, and thanks to more powerful CPU's, PC hardware with similar specs will match or SURPASS console hardware in the future.

NEvermind newer hardware which will leave current consoles in the dust, of course.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts
@SuddenlyTragic said:

Consoles over time eventually surpass PC's with relatively similar specs and over more time can even perform better in some games than PCs with superior hardware.

First hand experience: When the Xbox 360 first launched, my now ancient GeForce 6800 GT (which came out in early 2004 I think - don't quote me on that, too lazy to look it up) performed significantly better in Quake 4 and Prey, two launch window games for the 360. However, that card probably wasn't even supported for games like Crysis 2/3 or Battlefield 3 which also released on consoles.

In 2007 I upgraded to a GeForce 8800 GTS which was $600 at the time. It blew away the console competition. However, a few years later that same graphics card was considered the minimum requirement for Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3 and the console versions looked and ran significantly better.

Why is it people forget that as the console gen progresses the resolution drops below 720p and the framerate ends up dipping in the sub 20s just like it did with the last gen whike a PC gamers resolution increases over the years and most try to keep the framerates up above 30fps that is why we end up wanting to upgrade.

Under them circumstances a similar powered pc card will be able to keep up,but no pc gamer wants to be gaming at below HD and under 30fps,and they do not have to because they have a choice.

Oh and lol at $600 for an 8800gts i got a 8800GTX for $500 the 8800GTS was a $300-$400 card (512mb - 1gb)but if you really did pay $600 then you got screwed :/

The console version of Battlefield 3 ran better??...you mean that game that had 24 players not the 64 the PC version has and ran at less that 720p

TheMistique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheMistique
Member since 2008 • 1421 Posts

@SuddenlyTragic said:

8800 gts will destroy most any multiplat game on last gen consoles with similar settings. crysis 3 (dx10 patch) on the lowest setting at 720p on pc still looks better than it does on ps3/360. Bioshock infinite on lowest settings at 720p on pc also looks better than it does on ps3. The 8800 gts will easily play those games at a higher framerate than the ps3/360 does. The only reason system requirements go up on pc over the years is because they make the lowest setting higher each time the make a game. ( I think it's because they have a deal with the hardware companies)

EndlessInfinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EndlessInfinity

@Puckhog04:

False 8800 gtx still plays game better than last gen console. Even a 7800gt nearly identical GPU to what last gen console can play games like Dead Space 2 released in 2011 with similar performance, check CroidX previous post.

EndlessInfinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EndlessInfinity

@Puckhog04:

Is that all you can say

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eniLXjzOjbE 8800

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=4369

8800 gtx benchmark BS Infinite

Better than console

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=outsDtByQwo

Tomb Raider 2013

GTX 8800 can achieve 60 fps

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#32  Edited By leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@endlessinfinity said:

leandrro threads LOL

thanks for remembering my theads

there also some videos ive made that you should watch b4 saying optimization will do anything for the next gen consoles in the long term

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQmTcm5vojY&list=PLUA_CK7guz95TReNgOnWSQa8oZEviSvox

optmization on the PS2 era = non existent

optimization on 6 years old console vs 6yo same price PC = non existent

optimization on 7 yo console vs 7 yo 50% more expensive PC = non existent

next gen consoles are years ahead on PC = BS

PCs need 2x teraflops to match next gen consoles = BS

i had a PS3 a X360 a Wii, im no console or PC fanboy, i also think wii u is the shittiest console ever, but i still planing to buy one when its 100 dollars

EndlessInfinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EndlessInfinity

@leandrro:

I agree you do not need nearly that much power to keep up with console.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#34 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

what is " PC supercharged archtecture" on PS4?

its a PC with underclocked parts

what is console optimization?

its downgrading the game to fit hardware limitations

example: people say consoles can run games that are designed to high end PCs

i run prince of persia the 2 thrones with PC desired settings 60fps 1080p maxed out it uses 20% of my GPU

run it again with PS2 settings 20-28fps 640x480 low-mid settings it uses less than 1% of my GPU

its optimized, it means its crippled to 1/20 of the original game and looks like garbage on the consoles

same applies to crysis 2 or 3, battlefield 3 or 4 and many others

Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts

@PinkieWinkie said:

That would depend on how well Mantel takes off, and AMD doing well with the HSA A series chips. The performance gains in Battlefield 4 is very apparent with Mantel regarding AMD chips.

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts

As many said earlier in the thread, and 8800gtx (as old as the ps3) outperforms the ps3, even in newer games. Tom Raider (2013), Bioshock Infinite, Crysis 2 and 3 (dx10 patch) all run and look better on a core2duo coupled with an 8800 gtx.
Such a pc will run Crysis Warhead well at 720p with high settings and 2xAA and absolutely nothing on the ps3 even comes close from a technical standpoint.

The 8800gtx is more than twice as powerful as the ps3's gpu. But it also smokes the ps3 in performance.
And an oc'ed 7970ghz ed. is more than twice as powerful as the ps4's "gpu" and it's safe to say that history will repeat itself.

Yes, the ps4 (6 jaguar cores available for games) might very well be able to preform a bit better than a pc with equivalent hardware like an AMD Phenom X4 at 2.6ghz or an i3 (2 cores at 3.0 ghz) coupled with a HD 7850 OC.
But anyone who have pc with twice the power or more than the ps4 can be sure that their pc will outperform the ps4 throughout this generation. Not that any serious pc gamer keep their hardware for that long without updating/building a new rig, even if it's able to outperform the consoles.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

The funny thing is that AMD just showed off a SINGLE 290X playing the new Thief game at 5K resolution.

These consoles will NEVER, EVER be able to do somehitng like that.

But enjoy your crappy games struggling to get up to 900p consolites :p

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#38 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

If you bought a high end PC at the start of last gen, 7 years ago, chances are it will outpace the PS4 this generation and last a whopping 12 years or more in total!

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

@PinkieWinkie said:

The same thing people said in 2006, and they were all wrong...

3 years from now the HD7850 will still perform very similar to PS4. It is that simple, the PS4 is not going to get any faster, or the HD7850 is not going to get any slower than what it is now. And before you say the word "optimization" that console gamers like to use so much, it is time to learn that optimization is done in both pc and console it is not one sided, meaning that a HD7850 in 2017 will play games(at low settings of course and 30fps) that look better than today games at high settings, the same will be true for PS4 of course. Prime example a GPU like the prehistoric ATI x1950pro that can play games like crysis2 on low settings and 30fps, I mean who could have thought a x1950pro that was used play games like FEAR(from 2005) that some day will play games with playable fps that look so much better.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

If you bought a high end PC at the start of last gen, 7 years ago, chances are it will outpace the PS4 this generation and last a whopping 12 years or more in total!

You either rich or I call serious BS. A high end PC from 7 years ago that's still on part today and be for 5 more years? lol.... you must game on an alienware laptop and believe everything you read in the labels.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

My friends, until consoles start producing sophisticated titles like Total War or Civ, it will be child like movie games with very little interactive.

All the special effects in the world didn't stop the Transformers movies from being a terrible movies. Likewise, more powerful hardware will not allow console users to enjoy sophisticated mature titles the pc enjoys. The fact the platforms celebrate titles like Last of Us is testament to just how low the industry has become.

it's always good to have more games for the people who enjoys them but from my perspective you can keep those sophisticated mature titles, I rather play childish fun games like The Last of us with its 200 GOTY awards and 90+ Metacritic. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Generally the Whole optimization thing seems to be one of the better examples of "blindly beliving what corperations tell you". must be nice not to think for your self or research anything.

snide remark aside, we only had around 2 gens with multiplats (there were before, but they became pretty standard around 2 gens ago), and the console optimization never materialized. It is quite true that coding improves, but sadly that is not limited to consoles like some people seem to want to belive.

If a GPU gets retired then yeah it will get outperformed, but the better example here is the 8800, released at the same time of the PS3, enjoyied similar optimization.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

As many have stated these new consoles are not powerhouses not even the same performance ratio as their predecessors. These consoles are using low to mid tier based pc parts with current pc architecture and API's. The cpu in both consoles are weak, the jaguar based cpu's is only on average 15% faster clock per clock then AMD's bobcat series for netbooks and low end laptops. Which means that those cpu's are only slightly faster then The old Athlon X2's from 2005+ clock per clock. Now granted they are eight cored based which allows multitasking and multithreading abilities but these cpu's are clocked low and the games only have access to six of the eight cores for gaming. With six cores and clocked low with the fact that their processing power dont even match up to any quad core cpu made in the last 6 years that's will out process those jags.

Now moving onto the gpu's The X1 has the weakest gpu out of the two being between a 7770 and 7790 performance wise , and PS4's gpu being slightly faster then a 7850. Those gpu's are nowhere close of being able to to match nearly two year old gpu's like 7950 or GTX 660ti let alone high end cards like 7970's or GTX 670/760+. Only noobs use the optimization excuse to wish that these consoles could ever be able to perform close or on par or even surpass pc's with hardware that is multiple times faster. Now also those noobs like to use the last gen examples of the 7800GTX , when they ignore the fact that 2005-2006 was a transition time frame where the unified shader architecture was becoming the new standard and the 360 was the first device to incorporate it. In non shader heavy based games the 7800 did stand up to the 360/PS3 quite well. The PS3 didnt have a fighting chance until they started off loading gpu workloads to the Cell's under used SPE's. Ever since Geforce 8800 since 2006 those consoles ate the dust left behind.

Any modern quad core system with a overclocked 7850 or 7870 or Nvidia equals wont have no issue matching and slightly surpassing these new consoles.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#45 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@Gue1 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

All the special effects in the world didn't stop the Transformers movies from being a terrible movies. Likewise, more powerful hardware will not allow console users to enjoy sophisticated mature titles the pc enjoys. The fact the platforms celebrate titles like Last of Us is testament to just how low the industry has become.

it's always good to have more games for the people who enjoys them but from my perspective you can keep those sophisticated mature titles, I rather play childish fun games like The Last of us with its 200 GOTY awards and 90+ Metacritic. ;)

You can just jump on youtube to experience Last of Us.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@Gue1 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

You can just jump on youtube to experience Last of Us.

O snap!

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

People keep saying there's gonna be a massive difference between the cross gen games that have had amazing PC ports (Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution, Blacklist, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, etc) and games designed solely for next gen, but I am not seeing it. Thief 4's system reqs seem to back up my mentality. I am fairly certain that my 7870 will last me quite a while.