Netflix, the Game Pass of Movies to Put Their Original Content in Theaters for 45 Days to Offset Losses

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Article

“Things are getting desperate for Netflix, and, after years of disrupting the traditional movie and television industry, it might be turning into the very thing it once came so close to destroying by reportedly considering major movie premieres, and adding commercials to their streaming business model.

Netflix is considering letting the movies it produces run in theaters for up to 45 days before moving them to at-home streaming, Bloomberg reports. The company will reportedly try out a theater release with two high-profile films this year, including Knives Out 2, the sequel to the 2019 film that brought in over $300 million at the box office, and a new unnamed film by director Alejandro González Iñárritu.”

“The theatrical release is essentially the premier marketing campaign for all revenue streams, as far as movies are concerned,” Dimitrios Mitsinikos, founder and CEO of film industry analytics firm Gower Street, toldFortune. “In the era of streaming, the cinemas have the potential to help all content owners, including streaming platforms like Netflix, highlight their best content and essentially market their platforms to their core audience.”

“Since the release of last quarter’s poor results, Netflix has also toyed with the possibility ofimplementing adsin its services, as well as creating different types and payment tiers of subscription models.”

The future of streaming services is starting to look familiar… Will gaming follow suit? Again…

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8221 Posts

$AMC to the 🌝 🚀

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11095 Posts

"Xbox to try out retail-only releases on high-profile titles. To be added to Game Pass at a later date"

I HIGHLY expect to see this announcement in the next 2-3 years

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7202 Posts

The richest streaming company wants to make even more money, hurray.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@BenjaminBanklin said:

"Xbox to try out retail-only releases on high-profile titles. To be added to Game Pass at a later date"

I HIGHLY expect to see this announcement in the next 2-3 years

While Nintendo and Sony are sitting back saying, “I told you all we had to do was give it time.”

Netflix only lasted as long as it did with their business model because they were financially subsidized. Within a year of being independent, they are going after password sharing, implementing ads, and now discussing launching their highest budget content as theater only timed exclusives… Disney held out on giving all their content to Disney + subs. And look at HBO+… We are beginning to see the fall of the subscription services

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@mesome713 said:

The richest streaming company wants to make even more money, hurray.

Netflix had outside funding for over a decade. Now their shows are dropping like flies, as are their subscribers. They have been in financial turmoil since going it alone. The Netflix success was always a charade

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

I can see some films potentially being beneficial to do this with, maybe. I dunno. They put so much original content Netflix as is and most of it doesn't even grab my attention so not sure some of those being in theater will be any different for me.

Funny them being desperate, they're quite profitable, but I guess if you're not on track to swallow the planet in the next decade that's practically like being broke.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
@lamprey263 said:

I can see some films potentially being beneficial to do this with, maybe. I dunno. They put so much original content Netflix as is and most of it doesn't even grab my attention so not sure some of those being in theater will be any different for me.

Funny them being desperate, they're quite profitable, but I guess if you're not on track to swallow the planet in the next decade that's practically like being broke.

Yeah, there’s so much content on Netflix, it’s easy for things to get lost in the noise. But on the flip side, it seems like they’re so quick to pull the plug on certain shows if they don’t see some huge growth in sub count

As for their financial performance… Like every Fortune 500, (they’re number 481) they always want record growth. We all know that’s not possible, but the suits don’t seem to understand. They’ll burn the whole thing down if they don’t like the trajectory of the lines on their charts… But like I said earlier, Netflix was always propped up financially. Now that’s not the case, the bean counters are watching things like a Hawk

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BenjaminBanklin

@goldenelementxl said:

While Nintendo and Sony are sitting back saying, “I told you all we had to do was give it time.”

Netflix only lasted as long as it did with their business model because they were financially subsidized. Within a year of being independent, they are going after password sharing, implementing ads, and now discussing launching their highest budget content as theater only timed exclusives… Disney held out on giving all their content to Disney + subs. And look at HBO+… We are beginning to see the fall of the subscription services

The fact that Netflix is bleeding despite having a huge sub base says it all to me. This whole Game Pass venture never really seemed like a thing that was meant to last as the same business model forever. It comes off like a quick ploy to take as much business from Sony as fast as possible while trying to boost themselves some faux "consumer-friendly" PR. All while trying to bait Sony into a similar strategy.

It has yet to work.

Once they have to actually release the titles from the acquisitions they made (because it's slow going as ****), then the real test begins to see how much cash they'll let themselves bleed before shifting gears.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58971 Posts

Netflix make garbage.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@BenjaminBanklin: Bingo. Xbox needed a “pro consumer” approach because that was the quickest and easiest way to grow excitement for the new consoles. But that strategy is a ticking time bomb… Somebody is gonna have to be the bad guy at some point. Papa Microsoft isn’t gonna let the Xbox division be this reckless with their cash forever. Especially when the “anti consumer“ models are still returning higher revenue and profit margins.

I‘m surprised PlayStation has changed as much as they have. I knew day 1 in PS+ was out of the question, but they have more of their blockbuster titles in the service than I would have thought. Then again, it offers an additional revenue stream during the chip shortage. Nintendo is doing exactly what I thought they would do. NSO is required to play most of their games online.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@uninspiredcup said:

Netflix make garbage.

They should probably try to acquire some movie and tv studios 🤔

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69480 Posts

Comparing content that can ONLY be accessed via subscription and streaming to games that can be accessed via subscription or purchased. 🙄 You can't even get the basics correct. I look forward to the deflection of this fact.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Totally moronic thread. What a surprise.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44177 Posts

Don’t know how long Game Pass will ultimately last but as long as it provides me with value for my dollar I’ll keep my subscription to it active.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BenjaminBanklin

@Pedro said:

Comparing content that can ONLY be accessed via subscription and streaming to games that can be accessed via subscription or purchased. 🙄 You can't even get the basics correct. I look forward to the deflection of this fact.

List of Netflix content on DVD and Blu-Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Pedro said:

It’s the, “day one on the service“ feature of Netflix that may be changing. Some titles will be exclusive for paying customers, outside of the subscription service only, for a period of time. After that period, it will likely go to the service AND physical release like many of their titles have. Something the Game Pass strategy defenders on SW (you) swear isn’t, and shouldn’t be a concern to Xbox. Well the standard in streaming, Netflix, seems to believe otherwise…

Basic concepts. Easy to understand. Well unless it goes against what you’ve been saying on this board for years. Then you gotta put on your best gymnastics show… It’s a losing battle Pedro… Give it up…

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@Pedro said:

List of Netflix content on DVD and Blu-Ray

Yeah, Pedro has been living under a rock apparently.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
@kuu2 said:

Totally moronic thread. What a surprise.

Right on cue.

Kenny, “No doubt the majority of first party titles will be native 4K/60” has joined the discussion. Have any more predictions for us to laugh at?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pedro

@BenjaminBanklin: Then I stand corrected. However, there are no games that are only accessible via subscription for any set time before it can be purchased. Games, on all of the gaming subscription services can be purchased at the same time it is available on the subscription service.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kuu2

@goldenelementxl: as usual you deflect to cover your idiocy.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kuu2

Mods should be locking this trash thread.

Please tell us SmallMentallyXL how Microsoft and Netflix are remotely the same.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pedro

@goldenelementxl said:

It’s the, “day one on the service“ feature of Netflix that may be changing. Some titles will be exclusive for paying customers, outside of the subscription service only, for a period of time. After that period, it will likely go to the service AND physical release like many of their titles have. Something the Game Pass strategy defenders on SW (you) swear isn’t, and shouldn’t be a concern to Xbox. Well the standard in streaming, Netflix, seems to believe otherwise…

Basic concepts. Easy to understand. Well unless it goes against what you’ve been saying on this board for years. Then you gotta put on your best gymnastics show… It’s a losing battle Pedro… Give it up…

Ah! The deflection. Now, please tell me when are games locked to subscription only on PS+ or Gamepass for a set time before gamers can purchase said games.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5251 Posts

How is this news relevant to gaming or even System Wars?

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kuu2

@Pedro: the mental midgets are going to have a tough time with this thread.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pedro

@onesiphorus said:

Because OP believes that Netflix business model is identical to PS+ and Gamepass. In other words he is an idiot.😂

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

MS called itself the Netflix of gaming because of Gamepass. Probably because they wanted to mirror the success of Netflix as a subscription service. But that was before Netflix started taking a tumble and losing money/subscribers. This could serve as an idea of what we can expect with gamepass further down the road when the service can no longer be financially sustainable.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kuu2

@Pedro: hence why I said it should be locked.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Pedro said:
@onesiphorus said:

Because OP believes that Netflix business model is identical to PS+ and Gamepass. In other words he is an idiot.😂

LMAO!

I know it’s not identical to either service. But it will soon be more like PS+ than Game Pass. The example, the standard as to why you believed Game Pass would succeed is telling you that model no longer works for them. They need a timed exclusive, outside of the subscription service, period. Game Pass’s biggest selling point is day and date games… Do you really not see the correlation?

And I’m the idiot… 😂

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
@kuu2 said:

Mods should be locking this trash thread.

Please tell us SmallMentallyXL how Microsoft and Netflix are remotely the same.

Lems before this thread. “Game Pass is the Netflix of gaming.” Lems in this thread, “Netflix and Game Pass are nothing alike”

Acting like you can’t buy Netflix original programs on Blu-ray… Fan fiction… Y’all live in fantasy land…

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pedro

@Zero_epyon said:
@onesiphorus said:

MS called itself the Netflix of gaming because of Gamepass. Probably because they wanted to mirror the success of Netflix as a subscription service. But that was before Netflix started taking a tumble and losing money/subscribers. This could serve as an idea of what we can expect with gamepass further down the road when the service can no longer be financially sustainable.

Can you link me to where MS stated they are the Netflix of gaming?

It is important to note the difference between Netflix and services like PS+ and Gamepass. Not sure why out of convenience PS+ is being ignored but, no game on either service is locked to the service. At no point in time in, any game's cycle on these services only accessible on these services. All of the games on these services can be accessed and purchased elsewhere. The same cannot be said about Netflix. New shows or movies have not been accessible elsewhere.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
@Pedro said:

Ah! The deflection. Now, please tell me when are games locked to subscription only on PS+ or Gamepass for a set time before gamers can purchase said games.

You can’t be serious… It’s the other way around. Netflix, like PS games, will be OUTSIDE of the subscription service for a period of time, to maximize visibility and earning potential before joining the service.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

@goldenelementxl said:

LMAO!

I know it’s not identical to either service. But it will soon be more like PS+ than Game Pass. The example, the standard as to why you believed Game Pass would succeed is telling you that model no longer works for them. They need a timed exclusive, outside of the subscription service, period. Game Pass’s biggest selling point is day and date games… Do you really not see the correlation?

And I’m the idiot… 😂

So, Netflix is becoming more like Gamepass and PS+ is proof that GamePass and PS+ model doesn't work? You sure you thought that one through?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@onesiphorus said:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Pedro said:
@goldenelementxl said:

LMAO!

And I’m the idiot… 😂

So, Netflix is becoming more like Gamepass and PS+ is proof that GamePass and PS+ model doesn't work? You sure you thought that one through?

Huh?

You need to take the next few plays off and work on this strategy

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pedro

@goldenelementxl: Now, point to where MS stated they are the Netflix of gaming.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kuu2

@Zero_epyon: So the rational is that since Netflix failed MSoft will also fail? Sound logic by the haters 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pedro

@goldenelementxl said:

Huh?

You need to take the next few plays off and work on this strategy

So, you didn't think it through.👍🏼

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Pedro said:

You’re right, Phil Spencer tweeting out articles titled, “How’s Xbox’s Netflix for games…” isn’t saying that at all. I feel like we‘ve been over this before. I’ll find you some direct quotes in a bit

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zero_epyon

@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@onesiphorus said:

It is important to note the difference between Netflix and services like PS+ and Gamepass. Not sure why out of convenience PS+ is being ignored but, no game on either service is locked to the service. At no point in time in, any game's cycle on these services only accessible on these services. All of the games on these services can be accessed and purchased elsewhere. The same cannot be said about Netflix. New shows or movies have not been accessible elsewhere.

It's not a direct quote, but it is implied from an interview with Spencer that he looked at the Netflix/HBO subscription models and wanted to do something similar with story driven games.

https://www.businessinsider.com/xbox-chief-phil-spencer-netflix-gaming-2017-4

The rest of your post is a response to an argument that I'm not making, but I'd like to point out that what you said isn't entirely true. There are TV shows and movies that are totally available outside of Netflix. The only titles you won't see outside of Netflix and DVD/Bluray releases are Netflix originals. Much like how you won't see Xbox games on or off gamepass on PlayStation or switch (for the time being).

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pedro

@goldenelementxl said:

You’re right, Phil Spencer tweeting out articles titled, “How’s Xbox’s Netflix for games…” isn’t saying that at all. I feel like we‘ve been over this before. I’ll find you some direct quotes in a bit

If someone stated "MS called itself the Netflix of gaming because of Gamepass", then an explicit declaration is needed.

I see that as highly unlikely because it would have other issues if MS makes such a declaration. Maybe I am wrong and they did.🤷🏽‍♂️

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Zero_epyon

@kuu2 said:

@Zero_epyon: So the rational is that since Netflix failed MSoft will also fail? Sound logic by the haters 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

If they followed the model that's failing, then yes there's a good chance it would have the same flaws and fail too if nothing is done about it.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zero_epyon
@goldenelementxl said:
@Pedro said:

"I’ve looked at things like Netflix and HBO, where great content has been created because there’s this subscription model. [Microsoft Studios GM] Shannon Loftis and I are thinking a lot about, well, could we put story-based games into the Xbox Game Pass business model because you have a subscription going? It would mean you wouldn’t have to deliver the whole game in one month; you could develop and deliver the game as it goes.

"The storytelling ability in TV today is really high, and I think it’s because of the business model. I hope as an industry we can think about the same. [Subscription services] might spur new story-based games coming to market because there’s a new business model to help support their monetization."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Pedro said:

Article titled:

Microsoft CEO: Our Goal with Game Pass Is To Have A Netflix for Games; We Feel Very Good About Mixer

(lol)

Satya Nadella- In particular, we now have a subscription offer with Game Pass that's off to a good, very good start and our goal is to be able to have essentially a Netflix for games, so that we can have the game subscriptions that people can use across all of the devices that they play in.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Zero_epyon

@goldenelementxl said:
@Pedro said:

Article titled:

Microsoft CEO: Our Goal with Game Pass Is To Have A Netflix for Games; We Feel Very Good About Mixer

(lol)

Satya Nadella- In particular, we now have a subscription offer with Game Pass that's off to a good, very good start and our goal is to be able to have essentially a Netflix for games, so that we can have the game subscriptions that people can use across all of the devices that they play in.

There it is. I thought it was spencer who said this. It was actually Satya.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pedro

@Zero_epyon said:

It's not a direct quote, but it is implied from an interview with Spencer that he looked at the Netflix/HBO subscription models and wanted to do something similar with story driven games.

The rest of your post is a response to an argument that I'm not making, but I'd like to point out that what you said isn't entirely true. There are TV shows and movies that are totally available outside of Netflix. The only titles you won't see outside of Netflix and DVD/Bluray releases are Netflix originals. Much like how you won't see Xbox games on or off gamepass on PlayStation or switch (for the time being).

Implication is not the same as stating "MS called itself the Netflix of gaming because of Gamepass". They are simply not the same.

I was referring to Netflix created content. I don't expect non Netflix original content to be locked to their service. I should have specified. As noted before, no game for Gamepass or PS+ is locked to the service at anytime.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pedro

@goldenelementxl said:
@Pedro said:

Article titled:

(lol)

No quotes and no declaration from MS. I will give you another go.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Zero_epyon

@Pedro said:
@goldenelementxl said:
@Pedro said:

Article titled:

(lol)

No quotes and no declaration from MS. I will give you another go.

He literally put the quote in the post. You doing ok today?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Zero_epyon

@sargentd said:

$AMC to the 🌝 🚀

YESSS!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Pedro: The words that come after Nadella’s name, are his words… “our goal is to be able to have essentially a Netflix for games,” are some of those words…

We are now at the part where the Lems have an issue with what the Xbox execs are saying…