Naughty Dog: Uncharted is "only using 30% of the power of the Playstation 3

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#1 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts

Geoff Keighley: "Do you feel this is the perfect system for this game?"

Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells: "Absolutely. We are leveraging every bit of technology that's in the Playstation 3, from the blu-ray drive--I mean, our game just would not fit on a single DVD. We'd have to be on multiple DVD's, which is just not the way you want to play games anymore. I mean, the Apple 2, you're switching discs--you don't want to do that anymore."

Naughty Dog co-president Christophe Balestra: "We have the cell, so we have a lot of--cell is like multiple processors, so we have so much power. We're only using right now, 30 percent, I think, of the power of the Playstation 3. I believe, by the end of this game, we're probably going to use 50 percent, and then it's going to go on and on."

Keighley: "Wow, so the future games are going to get even better."

Balestra: "Oh yeah, absolutely."

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21306.html

Fightin' words from Wells, and interesting insights from Balestra about the degree to which dev's have been able to exploit the Playstation 3. Note that "getting better" may not necessarily mean that the next Naughty Dog game will look twice as good as Uncharted, as they're talking about the cell, not the RSX.

Also, if you watch the video there is some new footage of Uncharted.

Gismo25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Gismo25
Member since 2007 • 290 Posts

That's good to know. Imagine what will come next.

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts
How are developers guaging how much of a console's power is being used? Is there some sort of CPU/GPU meter (like in Windows) that shows how much processing power is being used as the game is running?
Kevanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kevanio
Member since 2006 • 580 Posts
another developer comes out and says this, it gets old after a while
marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 marklarmer
Member since 2004 • 3883 Posts
You said it only used 30% of the ps3s power, they said 30% of the cells power.
KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KAS3Y_JAM3Z
Member since 2006 • 1699 Posts

Geoff Keighley: "Do you feel this is the perfect system for this game?"

Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells: "Absolutely. We are leveraging every bit of technology that's in the Playstation 3, from the blu-ray drive--I mean, our game just would not fit on a single DVD. We'd have to be on multiple DVD's, which is just not the way you want to play games anymore. I mean, the Apple 2, you're switching discs--you don't want to do that anymore."

Naughty Dog co-president Christophe Balestra: "We have the cell, so we have a lot of--cell is like multiple processors, so we have so much power. We're only using right now, 30 percent, I think, of the power of the Playstation 3. I believe, by the end of this game, we're probably going to use 50 percent, and then it's going to go on and on."

Keighley: "Wow, so the future games are going to get even better."

Balestra: "Oh yeah, absolutely."

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21306.html

Fightin' words from Wells, and interesting insights from Balestra about the degree to which dev's have been able to exploit the Playstation 3. Note that "getting better" may not necessarily mean that the next Naughty Dog game will look twice as good as Uncharted, as they're talking about the cell, not the RSX.

Also, if you watch the video there is some new footage of Uncharted.

fuzzysquash

this goes for pretty much any next gen game...

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

How are developers guaging how much of a console's power is being used? Is there some sort of CPU/GPU meter (like in Windows) that shows how much processing power is being used as the game is running?PikaPichu

Thats exactly what i was thinking, how on earth would they work that out ?

And if it is like PikaPichu says, then wouldnt they just keep pushing the game til the CPU/GPU were near fully utilized ?

Raidea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Raidea
Member since 2006 • 4366 Posts

Ugh not this stuff again.

Come on developers, unlock the HIDDEN POWA!

archpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 archpro
Member since 2007 • 981 Posts

You said it only used 30% of the ps3s power, they said 30% of the cells power.marklarmer

"We're only using right now, 30 percent, I think, of the power of the Playstation 3"

Polaris_choice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Polaris_choice
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

[QUOTE="PikaPichu"]How are developers guaging how much of a console's power is being used? Is there some sort of CPU/GPU meter (like in Windows) that shows how much processing power is being used as the game is running?Snugenz

And if it is like PikaPichu says, then wouldnt they just keep pushing the game til the CPU/GPU were near fully utilized ?

Apparently the Playstation Edge toolset has a function that shows how much power it is using. At least for the RSX it does.

Bullets4Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bullets4Brains
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts

Gismo25

I would have thought cows would want games that use more than 30% of the PS3, I guess they're just happy to get any game at this point. Devs not using the full potential of a console need to stop making games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f89ab8e63049
deactivated-5f89ab8e63049

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5f89ab8e63049
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts
I don't understand what they're trying to say with that. Are they saying their game is really poor? That no one could ever harness the power of the cell (RAAR!)? That the PS3 could do more? If it's supposed to be some sort of marketing ploy, it's not that great...
Warrior_Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Warrior_Poet
Member since 2007 • 49 Posts

[QUOTE="PikaPichu"]How are developers guaging how much of a console's power is being used? Is there some sort of CPU/GPU meter (like in Windows) that shows how much processing power is being used as the game is running?Snugenz

exactly why if they are only using 30% would they not do more....holding back for a sequel :roll:

marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 marklarmer

This is what confuses me about the ps3; yeah the cells so powerful, only using 30% of its power and all that, but what about the rest of the hardware? so are they only using 30% of the disk read speed or system bandwidth aswell? cos if everythings maxed out except the cell how do they expect to get better performance out of it?

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

I don't understand what they're trying to say with that. Are they saying their game is really poor? That no one could ever harness the power of the cell (RAAR!)? That the PS3 could do more? If it's supposed to be some sort of marketing ploy, it's not that great...SpigleyMcCheese

Damn right, lets start a petition, demanding that they reduce the price of the game by 70% seeing as its only a 30% game.

When devs start using 100% of the powah i'll pay 100% of the rrp :P

martin_f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 martin_f
Member since 2005 • 2605 Posts
How are developers guaging how much of a console's power is being used? Is there some sort of CPU/GPU meter (like in Windows) that shows how much processing power is being used as the game is running?PikaPichu

My thoughts exactly, my conclusion = They make this stuff up
Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts

All companies working with the devkits for any console or handheld are given the practical and theoritical benchmarks from the companies thus they know how much something is capable of (these are bond by ndas). That and most the programmers would have to gain a very fimilarity with the hardware so they know what its capable of so they run in house benchmarks to judge what something is capable of giving them an understanding of the practical limitations they are working within.

batistafan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 batistafan99
Member since 2006 • 2592 Posts
There's profiling software that tells the devs how much the system is being stressed and how much power they are using. This game is shaping up to be a really good game, can't wait for maybe a demo at E3!
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts

I don't understand what they're trying to say with that. Are they saying their game is really poor?SpigleyMcCheese

No.

That no one could ever harness the power of the cell (RAAR!)?SpigleyMcCheese

No.

That the PS3 could do more?SpigleyMcCheese

Yes.

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
ok.... why not use it 100% then? :?
Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zenkuso

ok.... why not use it 100% then? :?nintendo-4life

At the moment its impossible even with the edge software because you can't use the entirety of the cell abilities, 1 didicated core and 1 backup core (apparently) incase one breaks down. Plus its just to expensive to put the time into getting the full abilities out of an unknown technology when you can put a half-ass effort in and improve later and say "wow this is the ability of the cell and ps3!" and get some cash incentives from sony.

bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts
There talking about 30% of the Cell's power right? The articles wording is kind of iffy.
no_submission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 no_submission
Member since 2007 • 961 Posts

ok.... why not use it 100% then? :?nintendo-4life

The RSX is bottle-necking the Cell.

marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 marklarmer

There talking about 30% of the Cell's power right? The articles wording is kind of iffy.bc1391

that was my point exactly, what about the rest of the hardware?

naughtydog360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 naughtydog360
Member since 2007 • 805 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendo-4life"]ok.... why not use it 100% then? :?no_submission

umm how ? :o

Not-A-Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Not-A-Stalker
Member since 2006 • 5165 Posts
[QUOTE="Gismo25"]

Bullets4Brains

I would have thought cows would want games that use more than 30% of the PS3, I guess they're just happy to get any game at this point. Devs not using the full potential of a console need to stop making games.

You're looking at it the wrong way. If you knew anything about Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, you would know it is probably one of the most stunning (in more ways than one) games in development on consoles. Now, knowing how amazing Uncharted is at this point, him saying they only have to use 30% of the power they have at their disposal to achieve this game is another way of saying "The future is very bright."

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendo-4life"]ok.... why not use it 100% then? :?Zenkuso

At the moment its impossible even with the edge software because you can't use the entirety of the cell abilities, 1 didicated core and 1 backup core (apparently) incase one breaks down. Plus its just to expensive to put the time into getting the full abilities out of an unknown technology when you can put a half-ass effort in and improve later and say "wow this is the ability of the cell and ps3!" and get some cash incentives from sony.

ahhhhhhh so that's why graphics improve over time, i thought it was jst like new engines or something, but that's actually pretty cool :D
or does this only apply to the PS3? :?
Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Zenkuso

You can actually work around it apparently by using the cell to lift processing off the rsx (but this two can cause a bottle neck), other then that yeah the rsx does bottle neck it if to much is going on. Trust me if ps3 had of released around this time and had of had a more powerful gpu in it then the current one it would be no comparison between xbox 360 and ps3.

bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bc1391

[QUOTE="bc1391"]There talking about 30% of the Cell's power right? The articles wording is kind of iffy.marklarmer

If there talking about PS3 as a whole, they might was well put Crysis on the system.
WeeWeeJumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WeeWeeJumbo
Member since 2005 • 5380 Posts
Mr Squash, you post like Lance Armstrong rides a bike but I'm totally sick of hearing developers chant junk like this. They'll never be held accountable for it and there's no way, ever, to verify or falsify it. As far as I'm concerned, no matter who he is, when a developer says something like this he's just playing barker for the hardware he's currently coding for, The End.
Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zenkuso
[QUOTE="Zenkuso"]

[QUOTE="nintendo-4life"]ok.... why not use it 100% then? :?nintendo-4life

ahhhhhhh so that's why graphics improve over time, i thought it was jst like new engines or something, but that's actually pretty cool :D
or does this only apply to the PS3? :?

Its business man, if you can do something an save money doing it and improve it later for very little money you do it. The technologies and techniques holds true but sometimes and most often things aren't as clean cut as that, trust me if its something other game companies have learnt from EA its that you can do half-assed jobs that sell and make lil improvements on its and it will still sell.

marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 marklarmer
[QUOTE="marklarmer"]

[QUOTE="bc1391"]There talking about 30% of the Cell's power right? The articles wording is kind of iffy.bc1391

If there talking about PS3 as a whole, they might was well put Crysis on the system.

so are they saying every component is only being used at 30%, or is an average of all the components or just the cell? sounds like total BS to me.

a_ratchet_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 a_ratchet_fan
Member since 2006 • 2207 Posts
[QUOTE="Gismo25"]

Bullets4Brains

In that case, GoW should never have been made as it's not using the "full potential".  And if it is, that's pretty damn sad.  maxed out in less than a year...
UpSwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 UpSwing
Member since 2004 • 3384 Posts

So we can count on seeing this game rendered at 1080p 60FPS No probs whatsoever.

Good.

skyform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#35 skyform
Member since 2005 • 1522 Posts

Tow new screens

bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bc1391
[QUOTE="bc1391"][QUOTE="marklarmer"]

[QUOTE="bc1391"]There talking about 30% of the Cell's power right? The articles wording is kind of iffy.marklarmer

so are they saying every component is only being used at 30%, or is an average of all the components or just the cell? sounds like total BS to me.

My guess is the cell, its late where I live and my brain isn't comprehending everything at the moment so I'll read the whole article later to see whats up.
Taz-Bone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Taz-Bone
Member since 2004 • 1388 Posts

Bullcrap,

that is all.

no_submission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 no_submission
Member since 2007 • 961 Posts

Tow new screens

skyform

Looks good, so far the only problem I can find with this game is that crappy hand gun, it's weak as hell.

Warrior_Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Warrior_Poet

[QUOTE="nintendo-4life"]ok.... why not use it 100% then? :?Zenkuso

The Cell only has 1 core...

you can send calls specifically the CPU so your statement doesn't make sense

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts

yet they said they used every last drop of gpu power....earlier!

dont ever take note of things like this from dev's casue its always crap for the fans to dream about.

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts
[QUOTE="Bullets4Brains"][QUOTE="Gismo25"]

a_ratchet_fan

In that case, GoW should never have been made as it's not using the "full potential". And if it is, that's pretty damn sad. maxed out in less than a year...

Exactly. Epic has even stated that Gears only uses 80% of the 360's full power. No company has used the full power of ANY system yet.

As far as Uncharted goes. WOW! This is one of the best looking games of all times, even better than Gears IMO. With time and money I believe that developers will be able to produce games that look close to Crysis.

ZinkOxide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ZinkOxide
Member since 2006 • 633 Posts
So are they bragging about how hard it is for them to code for the PS3? How is that a good thing?
Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zenkuso
[QUOTE="Zenkuso"]

[QUOTE="nintendo-4life"]ok.... why not use it 100% then? :?Warrior_Poet

The Cell only has 1 core...

The spe are pretty much considered cores in a general since considering what they are capable of.

furtherfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 furtherfan
Member since 2007 • 3699 Posts

althoiugh that's good news, i hope you realise that this doen NOT mean the graphics can improve another 70%.. some people seem to think power = graphics. remember thta they have a rsx graphics card. luckaly they can use the cell processor to work with the graphics card, but that too has it's limits.

expect the extra poiwer to be used for dazzling physics, animations, a.i, number of things happening at the same time and uncompressed sound. all great.

WeeWeeJumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WeeWeeJumbo
Member since 2005 • 5380 Posts

The spe are pretty much considered cores in a general since considering what they are capable of.

Zenkuso

Where are they considered cores? In general they're considered much weaker than real cores. PS3 has a "master" processing element that's like a regular core, and it synchronizes and commands the SPEs. That core is a real core.

Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Zenkuso
[QUOTE="Zenkuso"]

WeeWeeJumbo

Where are they considered cores? In general they're considered much weaker than real cores. PS3 has a "master" processing element that's like a regular core, and it synchronizes and commands the SPEs. That core is a real core.

Cause without them all the math the cell is capable of wouldn't work, those SPEs basically act like micro-cores and take information loads to process just like the original core but instead of the main core doing all the work the SPEs basically do the work and simply spit it back through the main core to be printed (displayed whatever).

Basically they act like any normal core would, just they aren't a core.

Warrior_Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Warrior_Poet
Exactly. Epic has even stated that Gears only uses 80% of the 360's full power. No company has used the full power of ANY system yet.

As far as Uncharted goes. WOW! This is one of the best looking games of all times, even better than Gears IMO. With time and money I believe that developers will be able to produce games that look close to Crysis.

Episode_Eve

Early in a consoles life cycle dev's are not totally acclimated to every nuance of asystems architecture sure but this interview sounded like BS to me and they are just pushing their game and the exclusive console of development...just like Gears was prob using most if not all of the 360's power

people here are missing the point of how it works I think (not you persay but some)....you build a game engine so it runs then most of the work is in optimizing the code...you find where the code is lagging then figure out oh this function here can be re written this where so it takes less cycles....stuff like that....you build it so it runs then you nitpick it over time to make sure it the most efficient...the Cell is weird because of how it its setup

how are the saying 30%??? they really were not specific...like are the not using all the SPE's so its only using two SPE's thats 30% right there...writing multi threaded/multi cored code is a chore...I don't doubt there are bottlenecks but unless the Dev wants to elaborate I am not satisfied with that answer of 30% of the power

silentobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 silentobi
Member since 2006 • 1495 Posts
[QUOTE="a_ratchet_fan"][QUOTE="Bullets4Brains"][QUOTE="Gismo25"]

Episode_Eve

In that case, GoW should never have been made as it's not using the "full potential". And if it is, that's pretty damn sad. maxed out in less than a year...

I'm going to need a link to that statement. I thought it was 30% of the 360 power. And I agree with that last sentence also. ;)
furtherfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 furtherfan
Member since 2007 • 3699 Posts

power does not equal graphics.

some peole seem to think the graphics can improve 70%.

Warrior_Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Warrior_Poet
I'm going to need a link to that statement. I thought it was 30% of the 360 power. And I agree with that last sentence also. ;)silentobi
only link you will find is Cliffy B said we have only scratched the surface of the 360's power...