N3DS, Majora's Mask, MH4U Are All A Hit

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#51 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

@jg4xchamp: That only proves that Link's in-game model is so lacking in detail that the original concept art would have fit perfectly and nobody would have noticed a discrepancy.

I'm failing to see how making a more detailed model is a detriment, when the aesthetic itself stayed the same. Down to how his tunic is, his hair, his whatever. It's not like one version is more vibrant or lush than the other, because they aren't as Link's color palette has stayed mostly the same since the initial reveal of that game. Only thing they did was detail the environments and detail the character model...which should be more detailed to begin with.

So at the end of the day you're not complaining about some in-game art style change, but box art. Never mind, the part where in game link doesn't look like either character design in that box art.

I have no horse in a comparison between LttP art v LBW, that one I could at least see the attachment, but that picture Pablo posted? Grow up.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#52  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@princeofshapeir: Is that complain enough to miss out on what could be a great game? No, that's dumb just like the Zelda purists that dissmised TWW solely because of the artstyle.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#53 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: You seriously need some better taste. Not shitting on Majora's Mask, but Jesus, disliking A Link between Worlds, and disliking it for that reason, boggles my mind.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#54  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@princeofshapeir said:

@jg4xchamp: That only proves that Link's in-game model is so lacking in detail that the original concept art would have fit perfectly and nobody would have noticed a discrepancy.

I'm failing to see how making a more detailed model is a detriment, when the aesthetic itself stayed the same. Down to how his tunic is, his hair, his whatever. It's not like one version is more vibrant or lush than the other, because they aren't as Link's color palette has stayed mostly the same since the initial reveal of that game. Only thing they did was detail the environments and detail the character model...which should be more detailed to begin with.

So at the end of the day you're not complaining about some in-game art style change, but box art. Never mind, the part where in game link doesn't look like either character design in that box art.

I have no horse in a comparison between LttP art v LBW, that one I could at least see the attachment, but that picture Pablo posted? Grow up.

The in-game aesthetic was always the same, I'm not arguing about that at all. What changed was Link's portrayal outside the game, and I think that's important because concept art and character renders set the tone for a lot of games--particularly games with in-game graphics that aren't the most detailed. Even Aonouma himself said there was a conscious decision to change Link's depiction because the original art was "too mature" and didn't match the in-game model. But if you've played ALBW, you know that Link in-game just looks like a blob with hair, eyes, and Link's typical getup; it isn't particularly in favor of either of the two art renders. So Aonuma and co. really could have gone with the original art that was directly inspired from A Link to the Past, for this game that is brazenly portrayed as a successor to A Link to the Past, and nobody would have cared. But they didn't.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#55 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@charizard1605: I think the art design change was needed simply because the old design made it look like it was going to be a Remake. They wanted to take away that confusion.

I mean the overworld was generally the same as A Link to the Past, but the game was no where near the same.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#56 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts
@93BlackHawk93 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@Big_Pecks said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

It's sad that a remake is outselling ALBW.

Majora's Mask is the better Zelda game, remake or not. Regardless, both deserve more sales.

Nah, Majora's Mask deserves it the most. Nintendo screwed up when they changed the art design of Link. When you change the art design from the top to the bottom, you know you have killed off some sales of the game.

It's pretty stupid to dismiss a game because of something like that.

Just like: "Boo hoo, Link is right-handed!". Big fucking shit.

It's legit because it's called marketing

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 FireEmblem_Man
@charizard1605 said:

@FireEmblem_Man: You seriously need some better taste. Not shitting on Majora's Mask, but Jesus, disliking A Link between Worlds, and disliking it for that reason, boggles my mind.

Do you see me judging the games you enjoy playing? I didn't realize my opinion created a lot of butthurt because I don't agree with you or the rest of the Zelda fanbase.......... I just find the game completely overrated and I'm not a fan of Aonuma's modern take on Zelda, with Majora's Mask only being his best game.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#58 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

That's great news. I want Nintendo to be around for a long time.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

It's sad that a remake is outselling ALBW.

ALBW sold shockingly little- worldwide sales of just 2.3 million units worldwide, iirc. I guess people really don't want 2D Zelda games anymore, and Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks really poisoned the well.

Meanwhile, Majora's Mask 3D is one of the most requested titles of all time, so it makes sense for it to sell as much as it has.

Hopefully square-enix gets the message with things like this in why they should remake FFVII..

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

My new 3ds xl is awesome :) very happy with it.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#61 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

The in-game aesthetic was always the same, I'm not arguing about that at all. What changed was Link's portrayal outside the game, and I think that's important because concept art and character renders set the tone for a lot of games--particularly games with in-game graphics that aren't the most detailed. Even Aonouma himself said there was a conscious decision to change Link's depiction because the original art was "too mature" and didn't match the in-game model. But if you've played ALBW, you know that Link in-game just looks like a blob with hair, eyes, and Link's typical getup; it isn't particularly in favor of either of the two art renders. So Aonuma and co. really could have gone with the original art that was directly inspired from A Link to the Past, for this game that is brazenly portrayed as a successor to A Link to the Past, and nobody would have cared. But they didn't.

It would still be a petty thing that had zero impact on the game you played. The tone of the game, the look of the game, the pace of it was all established and hinted the day it was revealed and stayed consistent to that the day it launched. Whining over a concept art that offers zero tangible value to a game is ridiculous.

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Do you see me judging the games you enjoy playing? I didn't realize my opinion created a lot of butthurt because I don't agree with you or the rest of the Zelda fanbase.......... I just find the game completely overrated and I'm not a fan of Aonuma's modern take on Zelda, with Majora's Mask only being his best game.

You lost the "whoa is me card" for having an opinion when you lead with "Good, ALBW shouldn't be a surprise. It's highly overrated and hell, I don't even call it a sequel, it's more of a re-imagining of ALttP with more puzzles and the gimmicky 2D painting as well as a different weapons system."

A: because you did knock it, let's not front
B: for a complete misunderstanding or acting like the game is something that it isn't. It absolutely is a sequel, narrative wise, gameplay logic wise, and right down to bringing us back to the same oveworld and throwing in tidbits about the Zelda's that came after. Ditto for downplaying a clearly well executed mechanic that would fit the criteria based on any rule of basic game design.

It be one thing if you knocked it, and detailed your knocks (for one why the 2d paint mechanic is a gimmick), or even explain the difference in direction, but you didn't. You just said nothing, and then proceeded to act like a difference in concept art meant something.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

For what it's worth, I think of Link Between Worlds as a re-imagining of Link to the Past more than a sequel.

Heck I'd even call it a remake when explaining it to someone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@mmmwksil said:

For what it's worth, I think of Link Between Worlds as a re-imagining of Link to the Past more than a sequel.

Heck I'd even call it a remake when explaining it to someone.

You'd be wrong. I mean, you can think of it as whatever, and you can explain it as whatever if you think that will make your job easier, but you'd still be objectively, factually wrong.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#64 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

Well, MH is pretty much the ONLY noteworthy third party title on the 3DS at this moment in time so...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nintendoboy16 said:

Well, MH is pretty much the ONLY noteworthy third party title on the 3DS at this moment in time so...

Persona Q released two months ago. Bravely Second releases in a few months. Etrian Mystery Dungeon is April.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 nintendoboy16

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Persona Q released two months ago. Bravely Second releases in a few months. Etrian Mystery Dungeon is April.

Doesn't Persona mostly appeal to the PlayStation crowd? Is Etrian EVER a hit by handheld standards?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nintendoboy16 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Doesn't Persona mostly appeal to the PlayStation crowd? Is Etrian EVER a hit by handheld standards?

Yes, but it was still a massive success on 3DS iirc (Atlus' most successful 3DS game to date), and yeah, Etrian is pretty successful, or they wouldn't keep making and localizing them lol.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 nintendoboy16

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Yes, but it was still a massive success on 3DS iirc (Atlus' most successful 3DS game to date), and yeah, Etrian is pretty successful, or they wouldn't keep making and localizing them lol.

Successful as something for it's kind, maybe. In contrast to something like Monster Hunter, where that game has a WIDE appeal in Japan? Doubtful.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nintendoboy16 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Successful as something for it's kind, maybe. In contrast to something like Monster Hunter, where that game has a WIDE appeal in Japan? Doubtful.

It's a consistent seller. Comparing it to Monster Hunter makes as much sense as comparing Dying Light to Call of Duty and saying it failed.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 FireEmblem_Man

@jg4xchamp said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

You lost the "whoa is me card" for having an opinion when you lead with "Good, ALBW shouldn't be a surprise. It's highly overrated and hell, I don't even call it a sequel, it's more of a re-imagining of ALttP with more puzzles and the gimmicky 2D painting as well as a different weapons system."

A: because you did knock it, let's not front

B: for a complete misunderstanding or acting like the game is something that it isn't. It absolutely is a sequel, narrative wise, gameplay logic wise, and right down to bringing us back to the same oveworld and throwing in tidbits about the Zelda's that came after. Ditto for downplaying a clearly well executed mechanic that would fit the criteria based on any rule of basic game design.

It be one thing if you knocked it, and detailed your knocks (for one why the 2d paint mechanic is a gimmick), or even explain the difference in direction, but you didn't. You just said nothing, and then proceeded to act like a difference in concept art meant something.

Get off your high horse as you don't make the rules on who has the best taste in gaming.

I've played it just like you, and I see it differently like you! Do you really want me to write a long review explaining why I find it overrated? Sure I'll do it now!

1. It’s Puzzelda through and through. No doubt about it
  2. This is NOT classic Zelda. This is not a return to form. It’s merely Aonuma Zelda with some of the fat trimmed. Think of it like the Mario 3D Land of Zelda. It’s an attempt to lure classic Zelda fans back with old content and promises of old gameplay, but the spirit just isn’t there. And that’s intentional. After all, this is a man who previously said, in regards to the first Zelda, “I didn’t ever think that I wanted to make a game like that.”

3. The overworld itself is fairly open and somewhat fun to explore. I enjoyed simply wandering around and discovering heart pieces and whatnot. That aspect made me feel like playing the game. There weren’t even bomb cracks anymore. You actually had to bomb walls without any identifying marks.

4. The overworld also kind of sucked because you couldn’t find neat items (like the Ice Rod in a Link to the Past) just by exploring. Instead, you have to rent, then buy, most of your items from that idiot in the bunny suit. Your items then get upgraded through a stupid collectathon where you round up these squid things.

5. Once I got into the dungeons, I no longer felt like playing the game anymore. That’s because the game simply devolves into the typical formula of solve puzzles, enter next room. Rinse and repeat. And since most of the combat related items were removed from dungeons to be sold in the shop, it felt like there were no rewards

6. Taking dungeons out of order doesn’t matter because they aren’t fun to begin with. They have no flow. They’re cramped and they’re slow

7. It’s just like Miyamoto shooting all sorts of objects toward the screen from the background in Mario 3D Land. It has nothing to do with good game design and has everything to do with “OH MY GOD THE 3D EFFECTS!”

8. Despite this game increasing the overall damage you take (like Skyward Sword did), it’s still not that challenging. I didn’t die once. Also, the combat is fundamentally wrong. That’s because no matter how strong the enemies are in this game (like those cyclops in the dark world), you can simply stun lock them with repeated sword swings, and they’ll be unable to counterattack. Enemies are rendered helpless from simply mashing the B button.

9. Although this game removes some of the garbage from prior games (less narrative, the annoying helpers are gone), it still has stupid shit. For instance, right in the beginning of the game when you go to Hyrule Castle you’re forced to stay in this art room for about a minute or so and look at paintings (which contain the game’s intro story) while your “presence” is “announced” to Zelda. You can’t skip this section and you can’t leave the room. You have to wait for the princess to get her royal ass up to come get you.

10. Claiming the Master Sword puzzle is as bad as the lame ass puzzle in Twilight Princess. A bunch of ghosts move around in a confusing pattern to disorient you, and you have to track where two or three of them are going (at the same time) to take the correct path through the Lost Woods. It’s like one of those games where a ball is hidden in one of three cups and you’re supposed to follow it. So I guess Aonuma is a magician now. He should disappear from Zelda. I’d applaud that act.
  11. There are still lame ass characters. That guy in the bunny suit has no place in a Zelda game (it’s downright embarrassing and childish), and that evil magician is so ridiculously androgynous that I actually thought he was a girl at first. Turns out he’s not…. Sure surprised me

12. The story makes no sense. The dark world in a Link to the Past was the golden land which housed the Triforce. It was turned evil by Ganon obtaining the Triforce and wishing to conquer the world. The dark world was then destroyed and returned to the golden land at the end of that game because Ganon was killed. So it doesn't exist anymore.

13. Yet this Lorule is now the dark world. Why the hell does Lorule even exist? And why the hell does it have its own Triforce? That’s stupid! Aonuma keeps ruining the lore of this series like he did with trains or the creation of the Master Sword in Skyward Sword.

14. The forced circle pad controls are irritating. I missed so many shots with arrows and fell off so many ledges because the game wouldn't let me use the D-pad

15. You may have enjoyed the 2D painting gimmick, but sure as hell didn't. Yes, it added a little depth to Hyrule that's the only interesting part about it, but it was added to add "MORE" puzzles in dungeons like I already had enough to solve as it is.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

i wanna play MH4U so bad

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@jg4xchamp:

Just looked at the pics. Reminds me of East vs West boxart. At first I thought ALBW looked so so, when the game was revealed. It must have been the video compression method. When I finally got around to playing it, it is almost verbatim LttP art direction wise. People perhaps can't remember far back enough to remember all the changes these characters have gone through.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#73 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

Cooal!

I like when good games are a hit..

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#74  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@silversix_ said:

i wanna play MH4U so bad

It is an amazing game.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By silversix_

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@silversix_ said:

i wanna play MH4U so bad

It is an amazing game.

would pay $200 for a ps4 port. just sayin

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#76 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

Got MH4U and MM but haven't even started the latter yet. Damn MH4U eating up all my time. That game deserves to be a hit.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Kenny789:

I was thinking of picking that up today. I've never played one of these games. I heard it is a more multiplayer thing. What exactly is the focus of the game?

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#78 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

@Heirren said:

@Kenny789:

I was thinking of picking that up today. I've never played one of these games. I heard it is a more multiplayer thing. What exactly is the focus of the game?

Definitely more of a multiplayer game but it's still pretty great single player. It just feels a lot better than Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Focus? Basically slaying giant beasts and wearing them as armor. Doesn't sound fun but it's a game that works so well when playing with others.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#79 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I wish they would retool Monster Hunter. Too many annoying aspects keep me from getting into it.

1. The necessity of going offline to learn basic things about the game. These should all be taught IN GAME.

2. The separated pieces of land. The game should be all one world, like skyrim, no loading between segments come on it's 2015.

3. Fighting mechanics...once you start hitting the animation won't stop until it's finished. Same with rolling away or dodging attacks. Again, this is 2015 why can't I cancel the attack and dodge? This game is really stuck in 1994.

Fix these elements, update the graphics, put it on a console and not a hand held, and monster hunter can reach the true limits of its potential. As it stands I can't put up with these archaic game mechanics.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#81  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

I wish they would retool Monster Hunter. Too many annoying aspects keep me from getting into it.

1. The necessity of going offline to learn basic things about the game. These should all be taught IN GAME.

2. The separated pieces of land. The game should be all one world, like skyrim, no loading between segments come on it's 2015.

3. Fighting mechanics...once you start hitting the animation won't stop until it's finished. Same with rolling away or dodging attacks. Again, this is 2015 why can't I cancel the attack and dodge? This game is really stuck in 1994.

Fix these elements, update the graphics, put it on a console and not a hand held, and monster hunter can reach the true limits of its potential. As it stands I can't put up with these archaic game mechanics.

Wow dude. Number 3 is part of its thing. You wanna hunt a monster? In every other game that entails nothing. It means nothing. You attack, and when you can't attack you'll dodge. In this game, you first make sure you have all the stuff you need. Make room in your pouch. Check the environment (heat/cold/dark?) Pick the right food for your tummy. Pick the right partners. You check your armor (does it have the right resistances? Do you want to break off a certain monster part?) You go out there, and prepare your item slot/weapon/stamina. You gather some things on your shopping list, check for relics, paint the beast, and respect it for its strength because unlike every other game attacking is the least important thing about the hunt. The preparation and not getting hit mean everything. That is when the mistakes are made. You cripple it by focusing on its leg or break its balls, set a trap, lure it into the trap and capture it. Then you make a pretty necklace out of the monster guts you get.

Everything about this game takes time, takes preparation, some forethought. Every decision you make is with the intent to effectively kill a big monster and make pretty things out of its bits as a kind of elaborate tea-bagging ceremony. Having no way to cheat out of animations fits right in with that idea. You can't just swing a hilariously big anti-monster hammer and halfway through the swing decide you feel like it wasn't such a good idea after all and maybe you'll just step away as if none of that really happened. That would be hunter heresy.

I would agree instead that the animations need to change to make more sense. Why would drinking a potion take so long? It's for balancing (healing up should be dangerous, otherwise making mistakes isn't very meaningful) but maybe it would be less frustrating to people if you saw that your character was bandaging itself or doing something that would indeed take some time?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#82 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@charizard1605: Maybe they do, but I really need to be better about finishing my backlog of games. I bought 3 at launch and have played maybe five hours total.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

That's good news, by the way the New 3DS XL is WAY bigger than I expected, thing is ginormous, still good tho.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@silversix_ said:

i wanna play MH4U so bad

I thought you had bought a 3DS lol

@Bread_or_Decide said:

1. Addressed in 4 Ultimate (there are in game tutorials that teach you all the necessary mechanics you need to know; the only things that aren't taught are the advanced mechanics, but that is like fighting games never teaching advanced techniques in games, or Pokemon never teaching EVs and IVs in game)
  2. No, that would take away from a very important element of Monster Hunter- the zoned areas are necessary in that each zone is a habitat and creates an arena of sorts while fighting
  3. Because you can't cancel an attack in real life- everything you do in Monster Hunter has consequence. Think Dark Souls.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#85  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@silversix_ said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@silversix_ said:

i wanna play MH4U so bad

It is an amazing game.

would pay $200 for a ps4 port. just sayin

lol...thats some hardcore nintendhate :P

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#86 Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

I pretty much expected this. New 3DS XL's are completely GONE over here, along with Majora's Mask.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#87 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46296 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@R4gn4r0k: It's only in NA that it doesn't come with the game.

But it's such a weird thing to cut from the bundle: the game, the game the entire bundle is about :/

Also, Europe was the only place (and Australia?) where the 3DS XL launched without a charger.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 silversix_

@charizard1605: never said i bought one. I wanted one but its like the Vita, can't justify spending $150+ for 1 or two games. Now if multiple games im interested in such as MH4 come out on 3rds, i'll grab the new one