MOTORSTORM proves Blue Ray for games is a FLOP!!

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NeoStar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 NeoStar9
Member since 2003 • 1761 Posts
[QUOTE="R-Dot-Yung"]yes its dissapointing, but it doesnt have to do with Blu Ray, it has to do with that the devs just dont have the time, Motorstorm 2 will be a better game, this Evo's test run also 1. Big deal, they are all different in terrain and structure 2. Downloadable Content

This is going to be a huge problem I see. To many developers are going to start using downloadable content as a crutch and an excuse for putting out sub-par games I fear. People are taking for granted that everyone has a high speed connection in their homes. A LOT of people don't either due to price (just isn't worth it for the normal online surfing they do (perhaps just check email, news, and a few sites once in a while), location (not everywhere, slow depending on location and if you have DSL instead), or another reasons.

A game should be worth it's price right out of the case. It shouldn't gain it's worth through downloadable content. If that is the case then there is no way in hell the game should cost $60 initially. Price the game for what it's worth then price the downloadable content separately. If downloadable content is going to be a norm for games then you are forcing everyone to pay for material chances are they might not have access to for one reason or another. I guess that's par for Sony though as buyers are paying for a blu-ray player if they want one or not.

8 tracks, no matter if you do them different depending on the vehicle you use, is just sad. I've played the demo for Motorstorm and it looked great. However I don't really care for racing games anyway outside something like Mario Kart. I have enjoyed PGR1 and F-Zero though over the past few years. So this game doing well or not doesn't really concern me. What does though is the possible reliance on "downloadable" content and it being accepted that it will make up for a games short comings right out of the case.

Is the lack of content due to time or perhaps due to the slow readability of the PS3's blu-ray drive? My guess is due to the lack of drive speed when it comes to reading what is on the disc. The more that is there, the more that needs to be read and the longer it will take due to the slow reading of the blu-ray player when it comes to blu-ray discs. Having all that uncompressed audio and video doesn't help one bit either I bet. Especially when it doesn't need to be. Majority of people aren't going to tell the difference if it was compressed nor would they really complain I feel.  The only way around that problem I think would be to allow games put on DVD9s compressed and cut back o the FMVs and use the in-game engine more for scripted scenes but Sony won't allow that I bet. Last I heard all games have to be on the blu-ray disc. Or Sony puts in a faster reading blu-ray drive in later models so games can be read fasters and have more content. Doing that though screws over everyone with older models and they couldn't play the games that have more content on them. So things are going to be stuck this way I guess unless Sony allows people to trade in their systems for the new models at no cost or at a very low cost.
PullTheTricker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 PullTheTricker
Member since 2006 • 4749 Posts
I havent played this game...though I'm just wondering. Are the level size big? I mean compared to other racers. The Motorstorm levels look very big with all those mountains in the screens I've seen so far.
Magical_Zebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 Magical_Zebra
Member since 2003 • 7960 Posts

yes its dissapointing, but it doesnt have to do with Blu Ray, it has to do with that the devs just dont have the time, Motorstorm 2 will be a better game, this Evo's test run also 1. Big deal, they are all different in terrain and structure 2. Downloadable ContentR-Dot-Yung

WHAT?!!! Cows were just hyping Motorstorm and how it would be "teh next gen". Now your hyping Motorstorm 2?!!  :shock:

Suyomizzle_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#54 Suyomizzle_
Member since 2005 • 1317 Posts
Blu-Ray may have it's uses, but it certainly isn't for more detailed graphics and it won't likely be used by developers to make longer games than they have in the past. It does have uses for improved sound quality and regionless discs, however. mattbbpl
I agree on the last count. I think the sound improvement is... well, nonexistant to the common man. But region-free disks is definitely a selling point to me for any format. That's why I liked carts.
MGS9150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 MGS9150
Member since 2004 • 2491 Posts
Kojima said MGS4 is already over 25GB and they are gonna use 50GB Blu-Ray discs for the game.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts
Kojima said MGS4 is already over 25GB and they are gonna use 50GB Blu-Ray discs for the game.MGS9150
Yeah, but for what? MGS games are always cinematic heavy, and since PS3 games use uncompressed sound, I think that's where all your space is going. MGS 4 will likely have hours of multi-channel, uncompressed sound (music, soundtracks for the cutscenese, and sound effects). Uncompressed, multi-channel sounds takes up a LOT of space. Not to mention that I believe all regions will be on the single disc.
klabut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 klabut
Member since 2006 • 3264 Posts
[QUOTE="MGS9150"]Kojima said MGS4 is already over 25GB and they are gonna use 50GB Blu-Ray discs for the game.mattbbpl
Yeah, but for what? MGS games are always cinematic heavy, and since PS3 games use uncompressed sound, I think that's where all your space is going. MGS 4 will likely have hours of multi-channel, uncompressed sound (music, soundtracks for the cutscenese, and sound effects). Uncompressed, multi-channel sounds takes up a LOT of space. Not to mention that I believe all regions will be on the single disc.

True MGS4 will have tons of cutscenes like the others.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
indeed, not only do I no longer believe this game to be AAA, but I now believe it will only score A here. 7.8 is now my prediction for a one-trick pony game like this. Just like Chromehounds. Not to say that it won't be great (I love Chromehounds), but a shallow game that only succeeds in online is an A game here. Nothing more.
billing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 billing
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts

8 tracks on a next gen. racing game? Pathetic doesn't even do justice! Sony claimed blue ray would give developers a chance to put so much more content in games and improve the graphics so much more...oh really where are the improvements?

So far NONE of the PS3 games look better than Gears of War and all of the multiplats play worse than their 360 counterparts.

Where is all of this extra content to utilize the all the extra space blue ray has that supposedly makes DVD 9 games inferior? Motorstorm looks great and plays great, but the huge lack of content makes this game a flop. And there is no excuse for lack of content with any PS3 game considering the media format that they are force feeding their consumers. Shame on the developers of motorstorm for their laziness.

lawsonboy

I agree,

Sucks for Cows having horrendous load time becuase of Blu-Ray, and thinking to themselves..,

"Is this really needed?"
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
indeed, not only do I no longer believe this game to be AAA, but I now believe it will only score A here. 7.8 is now my prediction for a one-trick pony game like this. Just like Chromehounds. Not to say that it won't be great (I love Chromehounds), but a shallow game that only succeeds in online is an A game here. Nothing more.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#61 deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts
well, 8 tracks isn't allot, true, but why would blu-ray suddenly be a flop. I know that deep inside all these lemmings, it's stress free to even worry about having not enough space when having blu-ray. Trust me, games are getting bigger and bigger. oblivion should've been on 4 discs on the xbox 360 with soft shadow and without compressing it. Though, i do believe most games aren't going to need it, since the compressing techniques they have right now are brilliant!

djxaquaxblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62 djxaquaxblue
Member since 2004 • 2539 Posts
[QUOTE="asdasd"]
They actually took up 18gb out of 25gb of a bluray disk. Thats also compressed in a 2:1 ratio so motorstorm actually is about 36gb. Imagine it on a DVD9, OH GOD THE 4 TRACKS A FLOP.
mattbbpl
That's actually the problem as I see it. If a compressed game with all regions and uncompressed sound took up 18GB, what do we really gain by using Blu-Ray with the "Blu-Ray extras" that Sony is using? Better sound quality of which most people other than audiophiles can't hear a difference, all regions on one disc, and more space for FMV as opposed to scripted cut scenes. This may be a big boost for some people, but I couldn't care less.

Actually you can hear a difference in sound. In the past....sound in games are muffled and ar enot clear. Seriously, go play some old games that came out a few years ago. Thier dialoge may sound muffled making it sound like the audio came from an old 50's movie. Plus with the more uncompressed sound.....just think of a shooting game with gun fire in different environments and settings. The sound of gun would sound much different being fired in a tunnel and being fired in an open field.

When it comes to graphics..its all about the textures. With that much space you can store a lot of high def textures into the disc but with the technology the devs have now..it may take awhile to get used to programming the CELL.

You people judge way to quickly on something that hasnt even been out on the market for long. Other than that there really is nothing else to say because some idiot fan boy is going to come in here and talk about and compare something that has nothing to do with the topic.

PSBox3SixWi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 PSBox3SixWi
Member since 2007 • 1341 Posts
[QUOTE="lawsonboy"]

8 tracks on a next gen. racing game? Pathetic doesn't even do justice! Sony claimed blue ray would give developers a chance to put so much more content in games and improve the graphics so much more...oh really where are the improvements?

So far NONE of the PS3 games look better than Gears of War and all of the multiplats play worse than their 360 counterparts.

Where is all of this extra content to utilize the all the extra space blue ray has that supposedly makes DVD 9 games inferior? Motorstorm looks great and plays great, but the huge lack of content makes this game a flop. And there is no excuse for lack of content with any PS3 game considering the media format that they are force feeding their consumers. Shame on the developers of motorstorm for their laziness.

billing

I agree,

Sucks for Cows having horrendous load time becuase of Blu-Ray, and thinking to themselves..,

"Is this really needed?"

meh. load times are good honestly. actually there on the fast side. oh, and i do need bluray. after i lacerated my spleen the doc said its the only thing keeping me alive. ( i disagree, i think its teh cell.) but yea blu ray is needed.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

Actually you can hear a difference in sound. In the past....sound in games are muffled and ar enot clear. Seriously, go play some old games that came out a few years ago. Thier dialoge may sound muffled making it sound like the audio came from an old 50's movie. Plus with the more uncompressed sound.....just think of a shooting game with gun fire in different environments and settings. The sound of gun would sound much different being fired in a tunnel and being fired in an open field.

When it comes to graphics..its all about the textures. With that much space you can store a lot of high def textures into the disc but with the technology the devs have now..it may take awhile to get used to programming the CELL.

You people judge way to quickly on something that hasnt even been out on the market for long. Other than that there really is nothing else to say because some idiot fan boy is going to come in here and talk about and compare something that has nothing to do with the topic.

djxaquaxblue
Some people can hear a slight difference between compressed sound and uncompressed sound. I can't hear a difference between 160kpbs MP3s and a CD. For some people the threshold is higher or lower. As for positional audio (sounds sounding different based on surroundings) that's been around since the original Half-Life and has nothing to do with disk space. The same is true of textures. RAM will be the limiting factor in using textures in graphics, not disc space. One could argue that it could lead to more varied environments, but not in graphical quality.
ninersfan343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 ninersfan343
Member since 2006 • 514 Posts
8 tracks on motorstorm is fine, im still having tons of fun on the one in the demo
djxaquaxblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 djxaquaxblue
Member since 2004 • 2539 Posts
[QUOTE="djxaquaxblue"]

mattbbpl
As for positional audio (sounds sounding different based on surroundings) that's been around since the original Half-Life and has nothing to do with disk space.

Yeah i know but i was talking about there would be more variety. Like usually you would hear like a few distinct sounds but in real life its unlimited. Like instead of hearing the same few sound of effects of bullets hitting metal there would be over thousands of different bullet sounds.
-KinGz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 -KinGz-
Member since 2006 • 5232 Posts
[QUOTE="lawsonboy"]

SportsFanatic10

Gears came out what a year after launch? Give or take? N e ways, once that year is up for the Ps3 you will have valid argument about the graphics of Gears against the games for the PS3.

Edit:I agree with you on everything execpt the Gears comparison just FYI

Show me a game that looks better than Kameo both artistically and technical on ps3.
THEKING1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 THEKING1337
Member since 2006 • 2086 Posts
"Gun 360 proves that X360 has a crappy GPU!!!!" you see...anyone can do it :roll:Viviath
motorstorm is a ps3 exclusive foo.
Areola54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Areola54
Member since 2006 • 1827 Posts
and best part is they expect people to pay $60 for it :lol: