Most milked franchise in gaming history.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#101 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

[QUOTE="Mario1331"]

[QUOTE="tonitorsi"]

Where's the Mario option?

DarkGamer007

because mario is not milked...

Your right

Mario Party

Mario Party 2

Mario Party 3

Mario Party 4

Mario Party 5

Mario Party 6

Mario Party 7

Mario Party 8

Mario Kart (Although I do enjoy this one quite a bit I must say)

Mario Basket Ball

Mario Soccer

Mario Tennis

Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix

Mario Golf

Mario Fun with Numbers

Mario Fun with Letters

Mario's Early Years: Preschool Fun

(I'm not making those last three up, that **** really exists).

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games

and all of these games numerous sequels not milking? Mario should be about platforming. Not racing (as fun as it is), basketball, golf, tennis, soccer, or olymic games.

your seriously including the spinoffs and not the main entries you got to be kidding me if thats the case basically every known icon is milked

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

your seriously including the spinoffs and not the main entries you got to be kidding me if thats the case basically every known icon is milked Mario1331
The question is which is milked the most in gaming history ;)

Sky-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 Sky-
Member since 2010 • 4682 Posts

Guitar Hero

Super Mario spin-off titles

Street Fighter

Tony Hawk

Pokemon

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

[QUOTE="Mario1331"] your seriously including the spinoffs and not the main entries you got to be kidding me if thats the case basically every known icon is milked tomarlyn

The question is which is milked the most in gaming history ;)

i seee well if thats what milked mean then mario is milked but i would just say the super mario spinoffs are milked not mario core titles:P

Avatar image for twitchmonkey399
twitchmonkey399

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 twitchmonkey399
Member since 2009 • 521 Posts

@tomarlyn

[QUOTE="twitchmonkey399"]

The number of games in a franchise has less to do with milkage than the variety of the games in a franchise does. While I agree that the Mario series is a bit milked, listing a long line of games that belong to the same franchise is not evidence that a series is milked.tomarlyn

Is that not the definition of milkage? When you also add the long line of non-gaming related products like dolls, underwear and keyrings? Mario is a big cow.

''The act of producing spin-offs, sequels, and prequels to already successful titles and franchises for the sole purpose of profiting off of their previous success.

See. "Milking it for what it's worth."

link

"Milkage" is not a real word, but slang, so you can hardly attach a technical definition to it. But we'll go with your definition.

Your definition states that in order for something to be milkage, the developer of the products have to be be doing it for "the sole purpose of profiting off of their previous success." So the reasoning involved in you putting a part of my post in bold claiming it to be the definition of mikage was flawed, since what I wrote lacked this pivotal part of your definition.

When you make a spin-off/sequel/prequel to a game for the sole purpose of profit, what usually goes hand-in-hand with it is gameplay that is rehashed, and even possibly sub-par. The term "milkage" is almost always used as a negative term to describe this sort of development, and this negativity is derived from this rehashed and/or sub-par gameplay. When there are few bad qualities to a spin-off/sequel/prequel, it rarely results in being labeled as "milkage."

When you make a high quality spin-off/prequel/sequel, it can be excluded from the milk cart because if all you are doing is to make money off of your previous success, why go through the trouble of making a quality game when you can make a decent game that will get close to the same sales?

Please understand that I am not defending the Mario series from being slapped with the milk factory image. It sometimes does fail to deliver a game with few bad qualities. Nor am I saying that the number of games in a franchise has no bearing on when the franchise can be called "milked". What I do claim is that the quality of a spin-off/prequel/sequel has more to do with not qualifying as mikage than having a moderate number of installments in a series.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#106 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Super Mario easily

hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

Guitar Hero is at the top.

COD is heading towards the same direction though...

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#108 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Guitar Hero
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Mario, Zelda, Metroid. C'mon, Nintendo, try something new.

Jfisch93

There is absolutely no way that Metroid is milked.

There was one game on the NES. One game on the Gameboy. One game on the SNES. No games on the N64. Nothing on the Gameboy Color. One game, a remake, and a port on the Gameboy Advance. Two games on the Gamecube. Two games on the DS, one of which is pinball. Two ports and two games on the Wii, one of which is not yet released. And two emulations on the Wii.

Zelda is likewise dubious. Mario I can grant.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#110 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="Jfisch93"]

PannicAtack

There is absolutely no way that Metroid is milked. There was one game on the NES. One game on the Gameboy. One game on the SNES. No games on the N64. Nothing on the Gameboy Color. One game, a remake, and a port on the Gameboy Advance. Two games on the Gamecube. Two ports and two games on the Wii, one of which is not yet released.

and 2 games on the DS (Prime Hunters and Pinball.)

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"][QUOTE="Jfisch93"]

LegatoSkyheart

There is absolutely no way that Metroid is milked. There was one game on the NES. One game on the Gameboy. One game on the SNES. No games on the N64. Nothing on the Gameboy Color. One game, a remake, and a port on the Gameboy Advance. Two games on the Gamecube. Two ports and two games on the Wii, one of which is not yet released.

and 2 games on the DS (Prime Hunters and Pinball.)

Yes. Edited back into the post.
StryderK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 StryderK
Member since 2006 • 3189 Posts

Uhh. Mario. He has appeared in more than 200 video games to date, with both starring and less significant roles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mario_games_by_year

Merex760

Is Mario milking? Yes, to the max!

Is it BAD milking though, milking on the level of Ratchet, Guitar Heroes, Dragonball etc? Uhhh.....Nope!

Most of the Mario games are above and beyond most games sans Mario Party. Mainline Mario Platformers comes out 1 per gen, sans NES and the Wii, and each does something different, and the quality is so polished that it outshine just about every game out there. Case in point, to show you how we Mario fans comes to expect MArio platformers, Mario Sunshine is still a very very good game, but since the quality just dropped a slight notch compared to Mario 64, the put down was simply TREMOUNDOUS! Any other platform would be happy to get a game on the same calibur as Sunshine, but we Mario fans comes to expect so much more, even a "Good" games doesn't do it for us any more.

Same with games like Mario KArt, SSB, Mario sports series etc. These games are good in their own rights and down right fun! And as long as the games are fun, we will keep on buying them. Hey, if it ain't broke......

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 PannicAtack
Wait, Ratchet?
StryderK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 StryderK

[QUOTE="chocolate1325"]

Where's Final Fantasy.

CDUB316

only the name of FF is milked

every FF game is pretty much it's own game and could easily have another name....not really ever the same characters, story, or locations at all

Yeah, I'll have to admit on this part....

But the thing is, break it all down, the general gameplay, the leveling process, the items, the Gils etc, etc, etc, the remained basically the same through out all the games since VII....What I like to call the "JRPG-ness of it all". i.e., take you character, go to the wild, smack into a random battle (FF XII changed this a bit, but not much), battle your heart out, get some EXP, then do the same 10 times, get to a town, talk to NPC, get some side quests, watch CS, rinse, repeat until you get all of the story, get to the end, complete.....This is why some say FF is milked.

StryderK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 StryderK

Wait, Ratchet?PannicAtack

Start calculating Ratchet from the PS2 days, to the two Ratchet these days....How many Ratchet are there? Mario, from NES, has 7 games so far (8 soon), last time I checked, Ratchet has what? 6.Mainline mario is7 games spread out a period of 25 years......Ratchet is like 6 games, spread out....8.......That to me, is milked!

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

Hands down :P

opex07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 opex07
Member since 2007 • 2236 Posts
Anything that can obtain mass market appeal can and most likely will end up getting milked. In fact I can't think of anything with mass market appeal that either isn't currently milked or on the fast track to being milked.jalexbrown
I think the GTA series has done a rather good job of not being milked for how successful the series is.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#118 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

Final Fantasy. There is no contest.

mD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 mD-
Member since 2005 • 4314 Posts

Either Guitar hero or you're oblivious. I retired from that **** after the 3rd one (never played the 1st one).

mD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 mD-
Member since 2005 • 4314 Posts

Final Fantasy. There is no contest.

shakmaster13
Yeah, OK. Because Final Fantasy uses the exact same characters and settings for every game, right?
Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts
almost all the games made by activision and ea are milked pretty good....
StryderK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 StryderK

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]Anything that can obtain mass market appeal can and most likely will end up getting milked. In fact I can't think of anything with mass market appeal that either isn't currently milked or on the fast track to being milked.opex07
I think the GTA series has done a rather good job of not being milked for how successful the series is.

Actually, if you tally up the numbers, GTA is quite milked.

These are the GTA games released since 2001 (GTA III). GTA III, GTA VC, GTA: SA, GTA: GBA, GTA: LCS, GTA: VCS, GTA IV, GTA: China Town Wars (3 versions).

That's 8 games (11 if you count the three versions of CW) in 9 years, or just about over 1 years a game on average! That's A LOT of GTA's in such a short time.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

[QUOTE="opex07"][QUOTE="jalexbrown"]Anything that can obtain mass market appeal can and most likely will end up getting milked. In fact I can't think of anything with mass market appeal that either isn't currently milked or on the fast track to being milked.StryderK

These are the GTA games released since 2001 (GTA III). GTA III, GTA VC, GTA: SA, GTA: GBA, GTA: LCS, GTA: VCS, GTA IV, GTA: China Town Wars (3 versions).

That's 8 games (11 if you count the three versions of CW) in 9 years, or just about over 1 years a game on average! That's A LOT of GTA's in such a short time.

Wait, 3 versions of Chinatown Wars?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#124 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Guitar Hero, Sonic, Megaman... loads, actually.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
Mario, and it's not even remotely close.
KristoffBrujah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 KristoffBrujah
Member since 2005 • 1860 Posts

1) Mario

2) Madden

3) Sims

4) The music games

raskullibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 raskullibur
Member since 2003 • 3390 Posts
TC should add Mario on that poll because Mario is the most milked franchise of all time..
StryderK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 StryderK

[QUOTE="StryderK"]

[QUOTE="opex07"] I think the GTA series has done a rather good job of not being milked for how successful the series is. 789shadow

DS version, PSP version, and Iphone Version. Yes, they are the same game, but ported to three platforms in three different time period. You can calculate it in both ways, like above.

raskullibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 raskullibur
Member since 2003 • 3390 Posts

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

[QUOTE="StryderK"]

StryderK

DS version, PSP version, and Iphone Version. Yes, they are the same game, but ported to three platforms in three different time period. You can calculate it in both ways, like above.

How about mario?
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#130 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
TC should add Mario on that poll because Mario is the most milked franchise of all time..raskullibur
TC is basing milkage on the quality of the games and how many games have been released within the timespan of the franchise. Although it is arguable that Mario got milked early on with all those edutainment games, currently in terms of games, most Mario spinoffs tend to be high quality and actually fun to play with friends and family. I would argue that it's another Nintendo franchise that's getting milked worse than Mario, and it's Pokemon.
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

pokemon no doubt, when you gotta name your games heartgold and soulsikver you know your in trouble lol

StryderK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 StryderK

[QUOTE="StryderK"]

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

raskullibur

How about mario?

Read last page. I already covered mario.

Simply, is Mario milked? Yes. But as someone said, any sort of icon, GTA, Mario, Master Chief, Mickey etc, will all GET milked till your eye burns.....But is that a bad thing? Nope, not at all, sans Mario Party and a few others, all of Mario games have been very good and very fun. Mainline platformers has come to such a point, that if the game ain't perfect, if the game end up being just "excellent", then that game is consider a faliure for a Mario game! That's how nasty and how critical we are of Mario games!

Now, compare this to truly MILKED franchise like CoD or Guitar Heroes......

Gundamforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Gundamforce
Member since 2005 • 1222 Posts

Any yearly released sports game, Guitar Hero, and Call of Duty.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Mario...duh

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#135 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts
Mario... Mario main series, mario golf, mario tennis, mario kart, mario rpg, paper mario , mario and sonic olympics, mario this, mario that..... How many mario games and spin offs have their been? I know it was great back in the nes/snes era but come on Nintendo make a new character already! Puts up fliameshield/
Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

The Sims is among the most milked, MGS is up there too.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#137 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

resident evil, anyone???

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#138 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Mario. His face is plastered across almost everything Nintendo manufactures. He might be an icon, but some of the games he is put in is solely because his face sells software.

Megaman5364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Megaman5364
Member since 2009 • 2912 Posts

Mega Man isn't milked because every loves him !!!!!! MMX 4 life !!!!!!!!

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#140 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

Mario. His face is plastered across almost everything Nintendo manufactures. He might be an icon, but some of the games he is put in is solely because his face sells software.

foxhound_fox
Which is the reason I have no problem with milking. I would be the first to say that I would not have bought many games if Mario was not in it. So there has been many great games I have played because of milking. So I raise this glass of milk to you Nintendo for giving me many great games I have enjoyed.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#141 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

Mega Man isn't milked because every loves him !!!!!! MMX 4 life !!!!!!!!

Megaman5364
No Mega man is milked...But it's just more proof that milking something it not bad.
badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts
fifa,madden.
Sky-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Sky-
Member since 2010 • 4682 Posts

Which is the reason I have no problem with milking. I would be the first to say that I would not have bought many games if Mario was not in it. So there has been many great games I have played because of milking. So I raise this glass of milk to you Nintendo for giving me many great games I have enjoyed. HarlockJC

You should be in the Got Milk commercials. :P

I'm surprised by how few people have mentioned Pokemon though. Regarding Mario, there have been some great spin-offs such as the RPGs, but there have also been some duds as well. I think that milk can be a good thing and a bad thing. There is such a thing as good milk and spoiled milk if you know what I mean. 8)

WeaponX295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 WeaponX295
Member since 2008 • 102 Posts

Milked Franchises:

Guitar Hero

Madden

Mario

Franchises well on their way:

Halo

Ratchet and Clank

Arguments

Final Fantasy has been milked also but seeing as every game in the series since number 6 has been anywhere from slightly to drastically different from its predecessors you can argue that at least there's originality, so mainly the name has been milked more than anything else.

Call Of Duty is a series that I would put in the on its way category but hopefully they can keep mixing it up. Taking the game out of WWII was a start and the tweaks to online play have been good but it's going to be tough to keep the franchise fresh for much longer.

CaptainHarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#145 CaptainHarley
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

some of the answers in here are a bit odd.

sports games arent milked. they just get released every year. thats just the way it is. a lot of people would get upset if they werent. imo its quite justified and sometimes these games make enormous leaps in quality between years.

final fantasy is an inconsistent franchise that really has no unifying factor aside from the name. i wouldnt consider them milked. all the products tend to be reasonably different and justified in their own way, save for some of the ff7 crap like dirge of cerberus.

i dont think theres a reasonable argument against any franchise being more overdone than guitar hero, unless were considering damage to the franchise/decline in quality as well, in which case sonic is easily, by far, hands down the worst.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
It's Mario of course. How many video game characters have jumped about in platformers, fought turn based battles in RPGs, smashed people around in a fighting game, raced cars, played soccer, tennis, baseball, etc, taught kids to read, danced along in DDR, painted, made music, gone back in time for "edutainment" purposes, and played silly boardgames? Mario has been jammed into almost every genre there is!
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
wtf,where is super mario in that list?
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I would go with Sonic followed closely (very closely) by Guitar Hero

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts
Really no Mario option? There are more Mario games than there are stars in the universe which is sad because (IMO) the series is very stale and boring.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

@tomarlyn

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]

[QUOTE="twitchmonkey399"]

The number of games in a franchise has less to do with milkage than the variety of the games in a franchise does. While I agree that the Mario series is a bit milked, listing a long line of games that belong to the same franchise is not evidence that a series is milked.twitchmonkey399

Is that not the definition of milkage? When you also add the long line of non-gaming related products like dolls, underwear and keyrings? Mario is a big cow.

''The act of producing spin-offs, sequels, and prequels to already successful titles and franchises for the sole purpose of profiting off of their previous success.

See. "Milking it for what it's worth."

link

"Milkage" is not a real word, but slang, so you can hardly attach a technical definition to it. But we'll go with your definition.

Your definition states that in order for something to be milkage, the developer of the products have to be be doing it for "the sole purpose of profiting off of their previous success." So the reasoning involved in you putting a part of my post in bold claiming it to be the definition of mikage was flawed, since what I wrote lacked this pivotal part of your definition.

When you make a spin-off/sequel/prequel to a game for the sole purpose of profit, what usually goes hand-in-hand with it is gameplay that is rehashed, and even possibly sub-par. The term "milkage" is almost always used as a negative term to describe this sort of development, and this negativity is derived from this rehashed and/or sub-par gameplay. When there are few bad qualities to a spin-off/sequel/prequel, it rarely results in being labeled as "milkage."

When you make a high quality spin-off/prequel/sequel, it can be excluded from the milk cart because if all you are doing is to make money off of your previous success, why go through the trouble of making a quality game when you can make a decent game that will get close to the same sales?

Please understand that I am not defending the Mario series from being slapped with the milk factory image. It sometimes does fail to deliver a game with few bad qualities. Nor am I saying that the number of games in a franchise has no bearing on when the franchise can be called "milked". What I do claim is that the quality of a spin-off/prequel/sequel has more to do with not qualifying as mikage than having a moderate number of installments in a series.

So I could call the Wii a milk machine? Below average and lazy clones of Wii Sports and party game gimmicks getting shoveled out all over.

The core of a series has nothing to do with anything, its milked ''franchise'' not ''series''. That means anything with the name Mario in it.