Mobile vs. handheld gaming = PC vs. consoles on a different front or not?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

renome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 renome
Member since 2012 • 50 Posts

Up until recently, I didn't give this subject much thought. I always thought mobile gaming was almost exclusively aimed at casual audiences and that these 2 parts of the industry didn't have much interaction with each other. After stumbling upon an article titled "the future of mobile and handheld gaming", I decided to reconsider my stance regarding this. The article is quite lengthy and full of digressions, but it raises some good points. If you don't have the time (n)or the patience to read it, let me just summarize the (imo) main points:

- smarthpones/tablets grew immensely in terms of hardware power and can compete with handheld consoles without any trouble

- developing for Android/iOS is cheaper and faster

- you don't have to rely on people buying xy console to consider them potential buyers, (almost) everybody owns at least a smartphone

- gaming tablets with physical controls removed the last advantage handheld gaming had over mobile gaming

I started a similar discussion in another forum and someone compared this mobile vs. handheld "battle" to the "pc vs. consoles" (hence the title). However, imho this is not the same because back then, the question was "will the dedicated systems push out hardcore gaming from everywhere else?" and now it's the complete opposite of that scenario.

I rambled enough, thoughts?

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

I do not really trust mobile phones becoming a hardcore gaming platform! While they might get super visuals and hardware power the lack of proper controller button is very negative for me!

What I really appreciated is PS vita's new approach. It combined hardware power + touch screen + gyroscope + 2 cameras + 3g/wi fi internet connection and the most important it still kept it's buttons! So you can use it the way you like!

For me true mobile gaming lies in handhelds and not phones or tabletops!

While I still love my Android phone (galaxy s3) I do not use it for gaming and never will! Angry birds is not a option!

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

Mobile gaming is a joke with touch screen. Games like angry birds are great but when you start talking about its the future:lol: PC vs Console? You get what you pay for...

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I think you have the same situation indeed. Sony and Microsoft will be obsolete in terms of hardware, and only Nintendo remains because they actually have a valuable first party.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Even consoles have good exclusives. Mobiles have no good exclusives at all and handhelds dominate them in quality.

Bad comparison for multiple reasons.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

Phones and tablets with games still aren't considered "gaming". They lack buttons.

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
gaming tablets with physical controls removed the last advantage handheld gaming had over mobile gamingrenome
Wonder what tablet has physical controls? There's the archos gamepad, but that isn't out yet. I still wouldn't be interested in one being too big.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

So far i'll take PSV/3DS anyday over tablets / mobile phones....

renome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 renome

I do not really trust mobile phones becoming a hardcore gaming platform! While they might get super visuals and hardware power the lack of proper controller button is very negative for me!

What I really appreciated is PS vita's new approach. It combined hardware power + touch screen + gyroscope + 2 cameras + 3g/wi fi internet connection and the most important it still kept it's buttons! So you can use it the way you like!

While I still love my Android phone (galaxy s3) I do not use it for gaming and never will! Angry birds is not a option!

V3rciS

Just out of curiosity, what do you use your $700-wortth smartphone for?

As for the guy who asked about tablets with controls: there's gamepad, wikipad andjxd s7100 with more to come next year.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I like PC gaming more than console gaming, but I do like both. But I like mobile gaming more than handheld gaming, but again I like both.
PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

Phones and tablets with games still aren't considered "gaming". They lack buttons.

GamerwillzPS
You can't go around claiming this when its not true. Android supports alot of Bluetooth controllers and like GTA, Vice city among others support controllers without any messing around. And games that don't you can map the touch screen controls to buttons rather easy.
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts
No one games on mobile. They just happen to have a phone that plays games that they may use occasionally. There is a big difference.
V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

[QUOTE="V3rciS"]

renome

Just out of curiosity, what do you use your $700-wortth smartphone for?

As for the guy who asked about tablets with controls: there's gamepad, wikipad andjxd s7100 with more to come next year.

Dude as I mentioned... if I want to play outdoors or on a train/bus I'll take my Ps vita with me!
About the phone now. To be honest I actually believe I over reacted and bought it only because I am tech freak nothing more... I mean I couldn't yet find a good reason to justify the money I paid for it. However with my phone I do... browse on the internet, chat, watch series, read sometimes, take pics, listen to music, tweak android, and use all the other applications that I need! Like train schedules, stock market, newspapers etc etc

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
No one games on mobile. They just happen to have a phone that plays games that they may use occasionally. There is a big difference. Ghost120x
Sure. :roll:
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 p4s2p0
[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

PCgameruk
You can't go around claiming this when its not true. Android supports alot of Bluetooth controllers and like GTA, Vice city among others support controllers without any messing around. And games that don't you can map the touch screen controls to buttons rather easy.

Then we will word it better. They have no built in controls. I don't' want to carry around a separate controller or map buttons.
renome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 renome
No one games on mobile. They just happen to have a phone that plays games that they may use occasionally. There is a big difference. Ghost120x
Wow, so much ignorance.
Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Handheld and bulky desktop PC sucks vs:

0.jpg

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

GamerwillzPS

They are still games. The idea that they aren't is false. I'll be the first to say that without buttons you have limited ability for experiences but that's different than outright denying playing a game isn't gaming.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

Up until recently, I didn't give this subject much thought. I always thought mobile gaming was almost exclusively aimed at casual audiences and that these 2 parts of the industry didn't have much interaction with each other. After stumbling upon an article titled "the future of mobile and handheld gaming", I decided to reconsider my stance regarding this. The article is quite lengthy and full of digressions, but it raises some good points. If you don't have the time (n)or the patience to read it, let me just summarize the (imo) main points:

- smarthpones/tablets grew immensely in terms of hardware power and can compete with handheld consoles without any trouble

- developing for Android/iOS is cheaper and faster

- you don't have to rely on people buying xy console to consider them potential buyers, (almost) everybody owns at least a smartphone

- gaming tablets with physical controls removed the last advantage handheld gaming had over mobile gaming

I started a similar discussion in another forum and someone compared this mobile vs. handheld "battle" to the "pc vs. consoles" (hence the title). However, imho this is not the same because back then, the question was "will the dedicated systems push out hardcore gaming from everywhere else?" and now it's the complete opposite of that scenario.

I rambled enough, thoughts?

renome
Mobile vs handheld is less "Console vs PC" than it is "flash game vs PC game."
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

We need something like the Asus Transformer Prime, except as a phone, and with a gamepad instead of a keyboard. People who really want to game on the go will have no qualms flipping their phone open to answer a call, and people who only want to game occasionally can detach the gamepad and carry it in their backpack or whatever.

P_500.jpg

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Maybe in the future, but right now hell no.

guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#22 guard12
Member since 2004 • 2018 Posts

I feel the mobile platforms are growing in terms of gaming. As of right now i think the mobile platform is more of a casual way to play games. But in the future i wouldnt be surprised to see more core games on it. i am already seeing big devs like Square Enix making mobile games regularly. May not be as big as handheld gaming but sure is growing in a way ninty and sony cant ignore.

renome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 renome
@Timstuff, google Wikipad.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 p4s2p0
@Timstuff, google Wikipad.renome
That thing scares me at just over a pound in weight. But it is a step in the right direction if they want console abilities.
renome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 renome

Well, yeah. Also, if you don't mind non-removable physical control, there's always SUPER cheap Archos Gamepad. Oh, and, has anyone seen WynCASE? That thing sounds genius.

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts
They have other purposes altogether, so they are not comparable.