MMOs/F2P games are staying behind XBL paywall

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Microsoft is dropping the Xbox Live Gold paywall for many of its entertainment apps, but free-to-play games and MMOs like The Elder Scrolls Online will still require a subscription, Microsoft head Phil Spencer recently told Joystiq.

The paywall longer impacts services such as Netflix, HBO Go, Skype, Twitch and Internet Explorer. Free-to-play games include Happy Wars and World of Tanks, while The Elder Scrolls Online already asks for a monthly subscription fee due to regular and "significant" updates, on top of the Xbox Live Gold requirement.

According to Spencer, Microsoft "hasn't changed its policy" on MMOs and free-to-play games. Spencer added that some games include "engineering constraints, policy constraints and partner constraints in each one of these scenarios."

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/14/5717156/mmos-free-to-play-games-xbox-live-gold-paywall

They have to save some 180s for later I suppose.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Lol sucks for Xboners. Really enjoying FF14 on PS4 with the cross game chat running at very high settings in 1080P. And for my friends who are too broke to afford a PS4 can join in on PC. ;)

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

They can worry about it when/if ESO actually releases on consoles.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

and not a single shit was given on this day.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

@Pray_to_me:

I think you mean the other way around.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I couldn't care less about F2P and MMOs. Why do cows do to such an extent? Coz they have nothing else to play?

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

Yeah because I buy a Console only to play FTP and MMO games Online.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

Lol sucks for Xboners. Really enjoying FF14 on PS4 with the cross game chat running at very high settings in 1080P. And for my friends who are too broke to afford a PS4 can join in on PC. ;)

And don't you need the PS+ to play online in that game? ;) Same with ESO. So it's no different between XB1 and PS4 for any online play.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

You mean that same policy that didn't require XBL Gold for Phantasy Star Universe and FFXI on the 360?.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

@AdobeArtist:

No you don't need PS+. Nice try though ;)

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@Pray_to_me: You seem to be behind the times in the 7th gen. Today, PS4 requires PS+ to access multiplayer.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

You are playing FF14 on a PS4?

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: Who cares. If you play games online on the XBox 360 or Xbox One, they you already have a Gold Membership anyways. I'm just happy they removed the paywall on all those apps. Now I can run Netflix, Amazon & IE on my 360 in my bedroom. Woot!!

@AdobeArtist said:

@Pray_to_me said:

And don't you need the PS+ to play online in that game? ;) Same with ESO. So it's no different between XB1 and PS4 for any online play.

And they need $15 a month as well. I don't think his friends are that broke if they are paying that fee. I'll wait for FF XIV to be FREE before I even try it. Only game I'm looking forward to on the PC is Star Citizen and Everquest Next.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@AdobeArtist said:

@Pray_to_me: You seem to be behind the times in the 7th gen. Today, PS4 requires PS+ to access multiplayer.

but not for F2P nor MMO's that have fees of their own. You can play stuff like DC Online (F2P) or FFXIV (with fees) without PS+. ;)

#ThankYouSony but make your shit more secure please.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/12/16/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-on-ps4-wont-require-playstation-plus-remote-play-discussed-and-more/

Sony > M$, Always.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

Well at least they're closer to sony's offering.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

@AdobeArtist: you seem to be the one behind the times.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

Does it have cross game chat with PC.?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@AdobeArtist You seem to be behind the times in the 7th gen. Today, PS4 requires PS+ to access multiplayer.

You don't need PSN+ for free to play games or MMO games,which is the reason why FF14 doesn't need it.

@blackace

Who cares. If you play games online on the XBox 360 or Xbox One, they you already have a Gold Membership anyways. I'm just happy they removed the paywall on all those apps. Now I can run Netflix, Amazon & IE on my 360 in my bedroom. Woot!!

Didn't you have 2 PS3.? The PS3 let you use all apps like that without a pay wall in fact netflix is superior on PS3,or just like PSN game sharing you didn't know that either.?

Hahaha .... So you were missing out again by not knowing well your console..lol

And they need $15 a month as well. I don't think his friends are that broke if they are paying that fee. I'll wait for FF XIV to be FREE before I even try it. Only game I'm looking forward to on the PC is Star Citizen and Everquest Next.

You are such a miss informed moron,you most be the most god awful person who own all consoles,how in fu**ing hell you don't know that you don't need PSN+ to play free to play games or MMO games.? How.? you OWN a PS4 and you don't know that you don't need PSN+ for this..hahaha

@kingtito@StormyJoe@tdkmillsy

Now this is how you make your self look like a moron,see exhibit A Blackace,a true manticore or game who own all so call consoles,the little lemming didn't know he could share PSN games even that he claim to own 2 PS3.

Now MS that will drop live requirements for some apps on xbox one and 360,and what does he say.? Yeah that he now can watch netflix on his 360 on his room Woot.

Apparently the little lemming didn't also know he could have do that on his PS3 for years now.

And lastly he quote adobeartist which was asking about need it PSN+ and tell him that PS4 owners also need to pay $15 dollars a month for FF14 as well,the game starts at $12.99 and doesn't require PSN+ at all..

See owning something is over rated,i knew the PS4 doesn't need a PSN+ for that an i don't own a PS4..lol

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

and not a single shit was given on this day.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

@mems_1224: did they loosen up their modding. I got warning for saying that same thing awhile back.

rell84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rell84
Member since 2013 • 255 Posts

ms and lems have already made this gen one to remember dem excuses LOL line em up LOL got more excuses already then sony had all last gen LOL all that profit lems brag about got them a xbox one LOL