Microsoftgo- Er, *Polygon,* changes DriveClub score to a 5

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Actually fair reasoning though.

While I was impressed with Driveclub's smart social media-inspired challenges and team-up mechanics, all of these elements have one major requirement: functioning online support. While online servers worked flawlessly with the lighter load prior to launch, they have more or less ceased to function in the disastrous week since the game launched.

According to developer Evolution Studios, the server problems are not just from high player load but tied into actual buggy server code in the game. Whatever the issue, we have not been able to connect to Driveclub's online options at all since launch day. This includes the multiplayer modes, challenges and clubs, the latter of which has vehicles locked behind it as well.

Driveclub still features solid racing without its online features, but the tour mode alone is not enough to pull in serious attention. Challenges and clubs are a core, necessary part of the game, and they are currently largely inaccessible. It's a shell of the game it's supposed to be. As such, we're updating our Driveclub score until such a time as we have evidence that the game's servers are consistently up and running.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

Good. Deserved. They need to get their shit together

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

SHITTY GAME ON PS4 IS SHITTY GAME

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Still getting it :D

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

Why the hell didn't they test the online component of the game extensively before release is beyond me quite frankly.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@Heil68 said:

good for you man, it's stupid that people avoid games based on scores, i thoroughly enjoyed 2 Human, AvP and colonial Marines despite the Crappy scores.

i have a policy, i watch gameplay videos for games on gametrailers and if i like what i see gameplaywise i will give the game a shot.

I have played games that got high review scores that i actually thought where a load of Crap in the end.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Polygon continues to be a joke.

slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 slaves
Member since 2004 • 1443 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

SHITTY GAME ON PS4 IS SHITTY GAME

That 14 point difference

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

I haven't played drive club nor do I care for it. But evolution seems to need to get its shit together.

On that note though. This to me makes polygon more of a joke. I believe they retroactively changed the review because they called it better than forza and willing made fools of themselves. Journalism in 2014 everyone. Polygon shoulda came out and just said "hey everyone we're sorry we're a joke"

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

The same game that allows you to customize your character and adjust crowd size. But costomizing cars? Nonsense!

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

Driveclub on top, forza on down

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#14 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

I thought they changed the score because the game was sexist. lol

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

They changed scores all the time. They did it for NBA 2k14 and BF4.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

On another note I am playing FH2 more than I have ever played any racing game...it's brilliant!

I would like to see and play DC for myself but the devs are a joke and Sony is a joke.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

That playstation universe score tho.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

Eh racing games are boring anyway so I don't care if it gets a 1 or a 10. Same with the Forza series.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Eh racing games are boring anyway so I don't care if it gets a 1 or a 10. Same with the Forza series.

I think some can be fun. I enjoy the Burnout series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

I thought they changed the score because the game was sexist. lol

Dem sexualized cars.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@delta3074 said:

@Heil68 said:

good for you man, it's stupid that people avoid games based on scores, i thoroughly enjoyed 2 Human, AvP and colonial Marines despite the Crappy scores.

i have a policy, i watch gameplay videos for games on gametrailers and if i like what i see gameplaywise i will give the game a shot.

I have played games that got high review scores that i actually thought where a load of Crap in the end.

DriveClub is a good game. Probably more like a 7 in my book. I own both FH2 and DC and they are both in their own ways. I prefer FH2, but if DC looked good to you before the reviews, you will probably still enjoy it.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Good. Game doesn't deserve any more. Online is still broken, AI is horrible, car physics are widely unpredictable, and the tracks are not conducive to real racing and are frustrating as hell.

All of the production values and beautiful graphics in the world can't save a mechanically flawed game.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@gameofthering said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

I think some can be fun. I enjoy the Burnout series.

I get that some people like them.....I just can't get into them. I do have some racing games around here though.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Valid decision, half the game's reason for existence is "social racer" and you can't really be social with it if the servers are busto.

That score will return before long and the lemmings will have to find something else to crow over, like Vine apps.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

@sts106mat: More people probably know who Monolith is than whoever it was that developed driveclub.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

lol racing games

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

I'm getting the impression that the dev was way in over it's head.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@Desmonic said:

Fair reasoning on their part (for once). It however opens a somewhat concerning issue.... "retroactive reviews".

By this I mean, I think it's fair to change a review if a game changes/stops or starts working/get's stolen by aliens after the OG review however if they do it for some games they need to do it for every game (IMO).

How many games have changed (for better or worse) severely months/years after launch? Would WoW score the same if were reviewed now with all it's DLC and patches in conjuction? Would LoL/CS/StarCraft/Civilization/Rome II/any game that receives expansive DLC/patches with brand new features and fixes, be reviewed the same? Is it fair to revise the scores of games that had shittastic launches (many, many online based games in recent years)? Is it fair to keep the OG review on those games despite possible positive changes? Is it even fair to open exceptions to just some games (aka, they are doing for DC but as far as I know they didn't do it for any other game) while ignoring many others?

Even DC falls under the same predicament as above, considering it has a fairly detailed and big DLC plan for it's first year. It could be a much better/much worse game in 12 months time. Should it's score be revised then?

These post review score retcon's thread on a very thin line IMO, mostly because hardly anyone does it and when they do it, it's just for a few select games.

--

Either way, like I said at the start the reasoning they used is completely fair, so no issues on that regard.

i agree. But if you're reviewing a non-released game (ie a reviewer copy) where you can't test the actual game once released and when released the games had failings which they didn't when reviewed I think its a fair enough move to re-assess a review based on what the gamer rather than the reviewer would experience.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

I haven't played drive club nor do I care for it. But evolution seems to need to get its shit together.

On that note though. This to me makes polygon more of a joke. I believe they retroactively changed the review because they called it better than forza and willing made fools of themselves. Journalism in 2014 everyone. Polygon shoulda came out and just said "hey everyone we're sorry we're a joke"

WTF are you talking about? You are part of P2M Club. I thought all you guys were getting it.

Anyways **** Polygon and Arthur "Geese".

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@Animal-Mother said:

WTF are you talking about? You are part of P2M Club. I thought all you guys were getting it.

When the free version release :/ Too many good games coming to spend it on a half baked racing sim.

slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 slaves
Member since 2004 • 1443 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Hey we finally agree on something lol

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

9 days and counting......... no clubs. Sony is a joke. Anyone that says, "well it's the developers fault because of the servers..." No it's not, it's a 1st party Studio with the name Sony publishing plastered all over it. Sony online infrastructure is laughable. Thank god they let 3rd parties handle their own servers. 50 bucks for this POS+.... lmfao

5Drive

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

@Heil68 said:

I'm not one to pay attention to review scores. There are plenty of games I've loved that review poorly.. but in this case they straight up telling you the online does not work..I agree, get the game if you want it, but wait until all these issues are fixed. Sony's servers are such a joke.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I think it's safe to say drive club is this generations Lair. It will be remembered for years to come.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

I hardly care, Polygon wasn't the only one to rate the game low, many reviewers rated it low without even bringing up the bad online, they just thought the game was bland. If games get a second review upon fixing glitches then I insist the Dead Island games get a second review.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

I don't mind them changing the score as long as they're obvious about it.

It's just the problem with gaming culture nowadays. Everyone needs that day one review, but how is anyone going to properly review a game day one for something where online is integral to the gaming experience, or for something that might take a month or a year to fully enjoy (such as an MMO)?

But no review site is going to sacrifice the 100k+ website hits they can get by having an early review for a popular game.

On another note though, Sony should do something to reimburse consumers for this. Hyped up as a launch game to drive launch sales, delayed a year, promise of free version release on PS+, broken game when it finally does come out...

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@magicalclick said:

@Heil68:

??? The game was out already, you waiting for price drop or GameflyQ?

I want the PSN+ edition first or yes, Gamefly. I'm not that huge of a racing fan to pay $60 for any racing game. I only paid $35 for Forza 5.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I'm waiting for them to change their review of Bayonetta 2 to a 9.5 because the reviewer was sexist.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Cloud gaming is shit what else is new?

Shawty_Beatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Shawty_Beatz
Member since 2014 • 1269 Posts

5club strikes again and that greatness still keeps waiting!

iwasgood2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By iwasgood2u
Member since 2009 • 831 Posts

One big mistake they made was not releasing a beta to the public (PSN+ subscribers) to test the online gameplay and their DC network. If they had done that in the beginning, they wouldn't have put themselves in this big mess. Oh well hopefully evolution and the rest of the 1st party studios learn from this to prevent it from happening again in the future. Should blame the big wigs at sony or evolution for pushing this game out too soon knowing it's not ready for primetime. It's too bad that this game has a lot of potential to be one of the best online experience. Online team racing is really good in driveclub. I had the chance to experience it several times before it goes down. I wonder why they didn't go with p2p and choose the player with the best pings/connections to serve just like how COD online is being run. Once that player disc or drop off it would migrate to another user. This would have kept the server up and running at all time even if dedicated DC servers become inconsistent.

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By funkmaster1233
Member since 2014 • 706 Posts

I'm gonna be honest here and say that Cows ruined the PS4 for me. They hyped the damn thing so much that they convinced me that all these games were gonna be great (crazy I know). I seriously regret my purchase now and although I didn't buy a PS4 purely because of the hype from Cows, I feel more letdown because of them. I can't even connect to PSN and play online! It constantly happens and I'm gonna break the stupid thing

iwasgood2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By iwasgood2u
Member since 2009 • 831 Posts
@funkmaster1233 said:

I'm gonna be honest here and say that Cows ruined the PS4 for me. They hyped the damn thing so much that they convinced me that all these games were gonna be great (crazy I know). I seriously regret my purchase now and although I didn't buy a PS4 purely because of the hype from Cows, I feel more letdown because of them.

it's never too late to sell or trade it in for xboner. you're an early adopter, so im sure there's many people out there who be happy to buy it from you if the price is right. i've seen ps4 posted for 350-400$ on craigslist and some people are selling their xbox one for only $300. win win situation .

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 funkmaster1233
Member since 2014 • 706 Posts

@iwasgood2u said:
@funkmaster1233 said:

I'm gonna be honest here and say that Cows ruined the PS4 for me. They hyped the damn thing so much that they convinced me that all these games were gonna be great (crazy I know). I seriously regret my purchase now and although I didn't buy a PS4 purely because of the hype from Cows, I feel more letdown because of them.

it's never too late to sell or trade it in for xboner. you're an early adopter, so im sure there's many people out there who be happy to buy it from you if the price is right. i've seen ps4 posted for 350-400$ on craigslist and some people are selling their xbox one for only £188.47. win win situation .

I still don't like MS after that E3 debacle even if the xbone is the better choice.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#50 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

imo this is a good thing. Sites should be able to change their scores and it's just pride that keeps them from doing so. There can be an initial score, followed by a score that's a bit more sober.

GS is one of the better sites out there, but there are many that release very early reviews that are obviously biased by the flood of hype for the game. (ie Skyward Sword)