Melee step aside, Smash 4 best competitive Smash game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

I know that most of us don't play nor watch competitive Smash, and that's fine since the game is a great party game and that is more than enough, but Melee still has a pretty active scene even to this day, mainly because Brawl was kind of boring thanks to some stuffs like Metaknight being plain cheap, etc. But after watching some matches from one of the earliest Smash tournaments in Japan for Smash 4 on the 3DS with some high level players, i have to say the game seems to be pretty fun to watch.

Keep in mind that the game feels different, is not Melee and is not Brawl, pay attention to some of the matches where you can see some nice combos, the peace is faster than Brawl but nowhere near as chaotic as Melee also the matches are more ground oriented than just jump+wavedash, jump+wavedash, jump+wavedash.

Sure is damn too early to tell, but maybe...just maybe, Smash 4 could be the next big thing on Evo just like Melee was in previous years.

Almost forgot, massive spoilers in this videos.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

#InSakuraiWeTrust

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

I don't see any competitive future for the 3DS version with the WiiU version coming out a month afterward.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of tech people discover

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

This is nonsense lol, this game won't replace Melee as the most technical or competitive-oriented Smash Bros. There are (some) combos, but the movement options are largely the same as Brawl. You can't dashdance or wavedash (same airdodge mechanic as Brawl), you can't l-cancel, blast zones are much larger than they were in any other Smash game, and it requires really high percents to KO. It's obviously way too early to develop a meta for the game (3DS version isn't even out internationally and the "real" version won't be out for another few months), but it's already apparent this game is nowhere near the mechanical/technical level of Melee.

Don't get me wrong: I am unbelievably hyped for Smash 4. All of you know this. I'm sure the game will have a decently large competitive following and end up replacing Brawl; I know I'll have fun dabbling in competitive play. Smash 4 is certainly not Brawl 2.0 but instead something else. However, Melee and PM will still continue to thrive, and I expect to see Melee back next year at EVO 2015.

Bottom line: Melee players will keep playing Melee. Smash 4 won't replace it.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Yeah no, new Smash won't be as competitive as Melee cause Sakurai is an idiot and said he doesn't want Smash to be "complicated" like Melee. He wants to cater to the casual players cause he thinks the competitive mechanics Melee has like wave dashing and L canceling scares them away, though I don't know of any casual players that didn't play the game cause of those mechanics, they either didn't know they existed or didn't care. It's funny that he thinks that too since Melee is still being played to this day and had such a strong showing at Evo, so with the way he thinks Melee is gonna have a long life ahead of it.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Melee fanboys are as elitists as it gets.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@93BlackHawk93 said:

everything with abit of substance is elitest around here.... right?

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

everything with abit of substance is elitest around here.... right?

Not sure what you mean.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

Nah, no way it can top melee. But it's second best. A fantastic game

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 madsnakehhh

@Lord_Omikron666 said:

Yeah no, new Smash won't be as competitive as Melee cause Sakurai is an idiot and said he doesn't want Smash to be "complicated" like Melee. He wants to cater to the casual players cause he thinks the competitive mechanics Melee has like wave dashing and L canceling scares them away, though I don't know of any casual players that didn't play the game cause of those mechanics, they either didn't know they existed or didn't care. It's funny that he thinks that too since Melee is still being played to this day and had such a strong showing at Evo, so with the way he thinks Melee is gonna have a long life ahead of it.

I'm not agree, i'm going to play devil's advocate and say that Melee is not a technical game, most of competitive mechanics are, well...glitches, is not like Sakurai intented to put Wavedash or Chain Grabs and in fact, some characters were only viable thanks to those glitches, again, nothing against Melee but is far from the technical marvel some people think it is.

Anyway, i still think that Smash 4 can steal some of Melee thunder, at least it will recieve much more attention than Brawl IMO.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Thank God if true. Melee was a hyperspeed mess

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#12  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Judging only by the demo, it seems to be its own thing. In my opinion, said own thing also appears to be the most technically oriented but accessible Smash game yet, although I want to point out I was never much in tune with Smash's technical or competitive side, so someone like @princeofshapeir or @PhazonBlazer would be better suited to answer this question.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 madsnakehhh

@nini200 said:

Melee is really fun to watch, but yeah it gets pretty chaotic, specially when you have a Mirror Fox match, and by God you were going to have at some point a Mirror Fox match (but to be fair, i love when you have characaters like Peach, Pikachu or Jiggly, those matches are always fun), i specially like here in Smash 4 how you don't need speed nor jumps to approach the opponent.

Again, is too early to tell, but so far, so good.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Melee. Brawl. I've always kicked ass. I do kind of like Melee more, probably because it was my first and most played game on the GC.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@madsnakehhh said:

@nini200 said:

Melee is really fun to watch, but yeah it gets pretty chaotic, specially when you have a Mirror Fox match, and by God you were going to have at some point a Mirror Fox match (but to be fair, i love when you have characaters like Peach, Pikachu or Jiggly, those matches are always fun), i specially like here in Smash 4 how you don't need speed nor jumps to approach the opponent.

Again, is too early to tell, but so far, so good.

True and I wouldn't mind the speed so much if the hits actually felt like you were hitting somebody rather than your attacks slipping off them. Smash 4 is seeming like the perfect blend of Smash. Agreed on how you can approach the opponents now, that is great. Yep too early but we shall see once released.

I love seeing odd unique characters. One reason I had so much fun with Smash 64. This one seems to please in that area (Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt Dog, etc will be great additions).

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Judging only by the demo, it seems to be its own thing. In my opinion, said own thing also appears to be the most technically oriented but accessible Smash game yet, although I want to point out I was never much in tune with Smash's technical or competitive side, so someone like @princeofshapeir or @PhazonBlazer would be better suited to answer this question.

Do what now?