MCS "Holy Shit WiiU isn't dead" edition (Dec 16 - Dec 22)

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Media Create Sales "Holy Shit WiiU isn't dead" edition (Dec 16 - Dec 22)

Rise from thy grave, WiiU.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year | YTD | Last YTD | LTD | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- | 3DS # | 232.600 | 181.556 | 411.272 | 4.680.337 | 5.247.532 | 14.460.217 | | WIU | 109.113 | 74.903 | 122.843 | 824.965 | 557.901 | 1.452.252 | | PSV # | 55.591 | 35.946 | 21.266 | 1.137.390 | 670.347 | 2.268.215 | | PS3 | 24.573 | 23.959 | 47.626 | 819.269 | 1.170.477 | 9.679.353 | | PSP # | 9.905 | 6.475 | 65.859 | 429.088 | 857.713 | 20.058.099 | | WII | 1.711 | 1.197 | 13.049 | 70.367 | 468.874 | 12.709.203 | | 360 | 763 | 536 | 1.689 | 24.866 | 75.803 | 1.638.700 | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- | ALL | 434.256 | 324.572 | 685.277 | 7.986.282 | 9.173.951 | 62.266.039 | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- | PSVTV | 5.504 | 5.506 | | 70.213 | | 70.213 | | PSV | 50.087 | 30.440 | 21.266 | 1.067.177 | 670.347 | 2.198.002 | | 3DSLL | 164.078 | 130.710 | 251.949 | 3.195.648 | 1.939.790 | 5.286.019 | | 3DS | 68.522 | 50.846 | 159.323 | 1.484.689 | 3.307.742 | 9.174.198 | | PSP | 9.905 | 6.475 | 65.859 | 429.088 | 857.713 | 19.882.112 | -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just letting SW know of the surprising bump the WiiU got.

Gamespot post structure is fucked up for this type of thread, so i can't post everything otherwise it'll be messed up and incomprehensible, for every detail check here.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Nintendomination Continuation.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

"But Wii U is dead".

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lucianu

@princessgomez92 said:

"But Wii U is dead".

Granted, it's the holidays. But still..

There's some life left into this corpse. Might cause a resurrection?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

Interested in seeing how it will hold up.

Nice to see it pull numbers that aren't totally pathetic.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@princessgomez92 said:

"But Wii U is dead".

it has no competition atm over there..... and it's the holidays........

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

C'mon Wii U. You're getting there.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

wii u is dead......stop kidding urself

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Man 3DS is unstoppable!

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It's Xmas time, this is going to happen every year. People make claims that XYZ machine is DEAD!, then we see the holidays were good to all.

This is the cycle of SW.

This is a thread on Japan sales for Wii U, but the PS4 isn't out in Japan until February 2014. The Xbone is also out in Japan in 2014, although that product line doesn't usually do well in Japan.

It should be of note the Wii U has No next generation competition in Japan.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Keep in mind that the Wii U doesnt need to put up GREAT numbers, it just needs to survive. If it can maintain 20k a week in Japan that would be pretty good.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@farrell2k said:

And it looks like Reggie was correct. PS3 and Xb1 sales will taper off as the hysteria of them being new fades, especially with publishers still releasing over 100 games for the PS3 and 360. The WiiU is not going anywhere.

Taper off? Nope.

Wiiu isnt going anywhere but it's going to be dead last.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

So it begins.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

It's dead to me, but I'm glad it's surviving.

Competition is good. People shouldn't expect or wish things to die just because they don't like them.The industry needs Nintendo even if some dumb ass with a Sony or MS fixation wishes to believe it doesn't.

the-lone-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the-lone-gamer
Member since 2013 • 96 Posts

give it a rest TC, Its dead just like Tupac..and good riddance to both.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

This is expected during the holiday season,things should go back to normal come January/Feb.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lucianu
@the-lone-gamer said:

give it a rest TC, Its dead just like Tupac..and good riddance to both.

Was the Gamecube dead as well? Is that a shit stained, worthless console because it sold horribly, and comparatively to what the WiiU is selling right now?

It surprised me quite a bit despite that i knew it would be selling more in the holidays, because it sold way more than i expected. Over 100k bump for the WiiU is pretty amazing, and it might do even better in the following week or two. Post holiday is wen we'll see the results of this boost. Who knows if this momentum manages to influence sales after the holidays.

Maybe the system will stabilize at a respectable number of sales per week that'll manage it to pull off through the generation.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lucianu

@SolidTy said:

It's Xmas time, this is going to happen every year. People make claims that XYZ machine is DEAD!, then we see the holidays were good to all.

This is the cycle of SW.

This is a thread on Japan sales for Wii U, but the PS4 isn't out in Japan until February 2014. The Xbone is also out in Japan in 2014, although that product line doesn't usually do well in Japan.

Be that as it may, bro, you're telling me that you're not surprised to see the WiiU going from less than 3k to over 100k in a matter of months?

Carbon_Le

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Carbon_Le
Member since 2006 • 185 Posts

No its still dead.

babycakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 babycakin
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

i came here for the rise from your grave gifs and i found none :[

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SolidTy

@Lucianu said:

@SolidTy said:

This is the cycle of SW.

Be that as it may, bro, you're telling me that you're not surprised to see the WiiU going from less than 3k to over 100k in a matter of months?

I'm not telling you that I'm not surprised, I never said that. That's a straw man assertion. I just happened to know the next gen competition in Japan isn't there yet. That happens in 2014, next year. Of course, even when those launches happen, with weak software, they may not fare well against the Wii U, who knows. I may have been surprised had I followed sales, but I don't. I don't care for sales as I've repeated since 2005. I have to be honest though, I don't think I would have been surprised because I never expected any major issues with the Wii U or I would have never bought it. I bought it expecting at worst a GC level of sales (20+ million over 4-5 years), which is fine by me. At best, it's a Wii or N64, which is also fine by me. I would have looked at the data for Japan Holiday sales spikes the last few years as well as taken into consideration the competition's position over there. I would have scrutinized a lot of historical data including Mario sales...it's too much work, which is one reason why I don't follow sales, not to mention it doesn't pay for all that attention to details.

That leaves casual observations of sales, which don't interest me. I don't have an interest in speaking on subjects I'm ignorant of, and the research sales would require would be enormous with little pay off for me.

I don't even follow sales as I said, I bought my two Wii U's last year at launch and I'm set. I knew what I was getting into. I've seen these sales articles before during many generations dating back to NES days. I follow the games and developers and 99% of my conversations in SW is about games and features. I just got to the point where at my age, I just want to talk shop on games. I stay far away from sales threads, but I happened to remember that the Xbone and PS4 haven't seen Japanese launches yet. Upon entering, I noticed that 2014 next gen factoid wasn't mentioned at all.

That 2014 Xbone/PS4 Japan launch point wasn't in the OP, so it seemed relevant to people that like to track Japan sales. Plus, Holiday spikes are always nice, and that would be more data to Japanese data to analyze, looking at GC, N64, Wii, and more machines during their 1st-2nd year. Too much work. Simply stated, big holiday sales bumps happen every year, so those don't surprise me. More surprising would be a huge holiday and no massive bump, especially in Japan where the Wii U is the only place to next gen game.

I came in to drop off information.

ocidax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ocidax
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

Good to see.

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

@babycakin said:

i came here for the rise from your grave gifs and i found none :[

Like this:

Ribnarak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ribnarak
Member since 2008 • 2299 Posts

lets be honest. is there a game as fun as smashbros or mario kart 8 with your friends?
no.

im thinking of getting one to be a side console for my ps4.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lucianu
@SolidTy said:

I'm not telling you that I'm not surprised, I never said that. That's a straw man assertion. I just happened to know the next gen competition in Japan isn't there yet. That happens in 2014, next year. Of course, even when those launches happen, with weak software, they may not fare well against the Wii U, who knows. I may have been surprised had I followed sales, but I don't. I don't care for sales as I've repeated since 2005. I have to be honest though, I don't think I would have been surprised because I never expected any major issues with the Wii U or I would have never bought it. I bought it expecting at worst a GC level of sales (20+ million over 4-5 years), which is fine by me. At best, it's a Wii or N64, which is also fine by me. I would have looked at the data for Japan Holiday sales spikes the last few years as well as taken into consideration the competition's position over there. I would have scrutinized a lot of historical data including Mario sales...it's too much work, which is one reason why I don't follow sales, not to mention it doesn't pay for all that attention to details.

That leaves casual observations of sales, which don't interest me. I don't have an interest in speaking on subjects I'm ignorant of, and the research sales would require would be enormous with little pay off for me.

I don't even follow sales as I said, I bought my two Wii U's last year at launch and I'm set. I knew what I was getting into. I've seen these sales articles before during many generations dating back to NES days. I follow the games and developers and 99% of my conversations in SW is about games and features. I just got to the point where at my age, I just want to talk shop on games. I stay far away from sales threads, but I happened to remember that the Xbone and PS4 haven't seen Japanese launches yet. Upon entering, I noticed that 2014 next gen factoid wasn't mentioned at all.

That 2014 Xbone/PS4 Japan launch point wasn't in the OP, so it seemed relevant to people that like to track Japan sales. Plus, Holiday spikes are always nice, and that would be more data to Japanese data to analyze, looking at GC, N64, Wii, and more machines during their 1st-2nd year. Too much work. Simply stated, big holiday sales bumps happen every year, so those don't surprise me. More surprising would be a huge holiday and no massive bump, especially in Japan where the Wii U is the only place to next gen game.

I just leaped because i couldn't tell what your stance on these results (decent, underwelming, natural, etc.) was, forget about it, i agree that it was a unwarranted assertion in the end.

I never follow sales, but i am keeping an eye out for the WiiU, the exception, because i'm very interested in getting one myself late 2014, my personal prediction on this week was surpassed completely, therefore my surprise. I'm happy that a struggling, commercial failure of a console finally has a decent week, that may or may not help post holiday sales to generate a sustainable weekly 20 - 30k, which will keep the WiiU above the floating point. That's it. I didn't overthink it or anything like that.

Dropping off info is cool and welcomed, it's nice to read genuinely interesting posts which appear ever so rarely. Merry Christmas, man.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SolidTy

@Lucianu said:
@SolidTy said:

I just leaped because i couldn't tell what your stance on these results (decent, underwelming, natural, etc.) was, forget about it, i agree that it was a unwarranted assertion in the end.

I never follow sales, but i am keeping an eye out for the WiiU, the exception, because i'm very interested in getting one myself late 2014, my personal prediction on this week was surpassed completely, therefore my surprise. I'm happy that a struggling, commercial failure of a console finally has a decent week, that may or may not help post holiday sales to generate a sustainable weekly 20 - 30k, which will keep the WiiU above the floating point. That's it. I didn't overthink it or anything like that.

Dropping off info is cool and welcomed, it's nice to read genuinely interesting posts which appear ever so rarely. Merry Christmas, man.

Thank you. I certainly believe it's going to be in a Nintendo bubble of sorts, which is why I bought one for the killer future exclusives.

Have yourself a great rest of 2013! :)

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

Still dead

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Wii U > PS3 + PSV. #NDC

I never thought that day would ever come. Let's see how long it lasts.

babycakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 babycakin
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

@thom_maytees: thanks thom, this always makes me laugh lol

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

It certainly is more than I expected. That said, the games library is coming up nicely now, and its word of mouth is improving. Let us see what 2014 brings when Mario Kart and Smash comes along. Like someone else said, the Wii U doesnt need to do great, it just needs to survive, and this is a sign that it will survive.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

PS3 beats Wii60 once again.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

Look at that xbox 360, holiday boost

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@Nike_Air said:

PS3 beats Wii60 once again.

wii was disconitued in 2013 bro...give it up...ps3 was dead last last gen.

ImDaMan4Realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ImDaMan4Realz
Member since 2013 • 97 Posts

@stereointegrity said:

wii u is dead......stop kidding urself

Exactly lol. It's doing ok in ONE country ONLY because it's only cimpetition is 8 year old consoles and it's the holidays....the wii u is just as dead now as it's always been...... shiddy a** console. .tsk

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

Is this Japan only? Who cares.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#38 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

seriously anyone who said that the wiiu was in danger of being discontinued was showing their fanboy stripes. Just not happening. All it takes is a few great games and a console will put up sales.

If we're talking financials, Nintendo isn't in the same position that Sega was in with the Dreamcast. Sega had several horrid failures in a row and was dead broke even while launching the Dreamcast. Nintendo is flush with money and can prop up the wiiu until it regains it's health just like they did with the 3DS

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Can someone link me to a chart that is not screwed up? I'm not deciphering that mess.

Edit: didn't see the link in the op :P

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@GunSmith1_basic said:

seriously anyone who said that the wiiu was in danger of being discontinued was showing their fanboy stripes. Just not happening. All it takes is a few great games and a console will put up sales.

If we're talking financials, Nintendo isn't in the same position that Sega was in with the Dreamcast. Sega had several horrid failures in a row and was dead broke even while launching the Dreamcast. Nintendo is flush with money and can prop up the wiiu until it regains it's health just like they did with the 3DS

Thing is

1)This is japan only

2)X1 and PS4(mostly) aren't released there yet

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

@Ghost120x said:

Can someone link me to a chart that is not screwed up? I'm not deciphering that mess.

Here it is.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@GunSmith1_basic said:

Thing is

1)This is japan only

But, If the 360 is any indication, the X1 won't be a threat to any console/handheld in Japan.

betamaxx83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By betamaxx83
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

@bbkkristian: You mean PlayStation Domination.

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DarthBilf
Member since 2004 • 1357 Posts

@thom_maytees: That is glorious

Edit: In other news, it appears the Wii U is a couple of weeks away from passing the 360 in lifetime units sold in Japan. Living in North America, that is mind boggling.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Does the Wii U not being dead in Japan even mean that much?

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@betamaxx83: I don't see any playstation domination there, buddy.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#48 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Thing is

1)This is japan only

1) the wiiu sells more in NA than in Japan. We always get Japan's numbers first. The NA numbers will get a similar increase.

2) this isn't relevant. The wiiu's market success is more important than a console ranking. It doesn't have to outsell other consoles. It just has to sell enough to make a profit.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

Just as I predicted. Good for them.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Is that sales for the Japanese market? If so, then lol because the next-gen consoles aren't out in Japan yet, so it's not surprising that they're choosing to buy Wii U in anticipation for next-gen consoles. It's like a zombie who's just jumped off the sexual express bus and experienced a very, very brief orgasm but a zombie is a zombie - it's always going to go back to the grave.