Max Payne 3's sales flop hard! Strategy Informer

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

"Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter revealed some startling news from the NPD on his Twitter feed: Max Payne 3 did less than half of LA Noire's launch business in the same period of time.

Pachtertweeted,"Without divulging too much NPD goodness, I can tell you that Max Payne 3 sales were less than 50% of L.A. Noire's. 8 years in development!"

This is devastating for Take 2 Interactive, which sunk in a ton of cash into reviving the IP. It could be 8 years was too long between games even for the Max Payne property."

Source:http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/18613/pachter-max-payne-3-did-less-than-50-sales-than-la-noire

Why did people not buy this game on consoles? :(

The death of a once great IP :(

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Well it's Michael Pachter so no one will take this seriously. He's the VGChartz of people.

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

Its becoming quite obvious how many people out there are actually willing to buy something that doens't have CoD or army men plastered all over the cover. That number isn't very high.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

That's sad to hear. I'll be buying the PC version soon

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

biggest_loser

I didn't buy it because I haven't played the first two. I also didn't see any advertisements for it except in the video game store.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Well I bought both a 360 and PS3 copy. Don't blame me. Too bad, I thought it sold 3 million in the first week?

wiistation360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wiistation360
Member since 2006 • 4209 Posts
i really want max payne 3 to do very we;;
Pikachu69er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pikachu69er
Member since 2012 • 1381 Posts

good, now make gta

JohnnyCageMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JohnnyCageMK
Member since 2012 • 4365 Posts
The lack of hype and advertising killed it. The game is amazing but you would think after 8 years of development R* would have advertised the hell outta this game.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Very sad to hear it,from everything I've seen,it's a great game,it deserves better...

Will be picking up the PC version in a few days...

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

good, now make gta

Pikachu69er
lol, sorta this ^
Pikachu69er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pikachu69er
Member since 2012 • 1381 Posts

The lack of hype and advertising killed it. The game is amazing but you would think after 8 years of development R* would have advertised the hell outta this game. JohnnyCageMK

there to busy making the surperior 1 disk version of gta 5 on ps3

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
Blame it on Marky Mark
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 biggest_loser
The lack of hype and advertising killed it. The game is amazing but you would think after 8 years of development R* would have advertised the hell outta this game. JohnnyCageMK
http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/07/max-payne-3-to-be-rockstars-biggest-and-boldest-marketing-effort-thus-far/
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Honestly I can't see Take-Two being overly worried, they still have a lot of great franchises and GTA V is the next game in Rockstar's lineup that should do very well.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

Bigboi500

I didn't buy it because I haven't played the first two. I also didn't see any advertisements for it except in the video game store.

Are you kidding me? Its been all over gamespot, imdb.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

I thought it did well?

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
I'll probably buy it once it's cheap as hell on steam :D! No demo!
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

biggest_loser

I have ad block so I don't see adds. I guess a lot of people, including myself, know next to nothing about the game.

As another poster pointed out, Mark Walburg might have had a negative effect on the series because even I saw advertisements for the campy movie spin-off.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]I didn't buy it because I haven't played the first two. I also didn't see any advertisements for it except in the video game store.

Bigboi500

I have ad block so I don't see adds. I guess a lot of people, including myself, know next to nothing about the game.

As another poster pointed out, Mark Walburg might have had a negative effect on the series because even I saw advertisements for the campy movie spin-off.

Camp is not the right word to describe that movie.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
It is a shame since it is a really great game. I got my copy on Steam.
Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

I wanted to get the game because of its overal polish and i mean, its a Rockstar game. However the game itself isnt endearing, what you do basicly 90% is hold a gun and shoot, that id asume gets monotonous and boring after a while

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22378 Posts

Its becoming quite obvious how many people out there are actually willing to buy something that doens't have CoD or army men plastered all over the cover. That number isn't very high.

Crazyguy105
Yeah, seems that way. Very sad.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

biggest_loser

Its not COD or Halo, console casuals have no idea what max payne is.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46350 Posts

So are those NPD sales numbers ?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts
Who said it took 8 years of development time? Ever stop to think the game was on Rockstars backburner for awhile? A game like GTA 4 takes A LOT more development time than a linear shooter.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Dang, it seems like such a great game and deserves better numbers. :(

WarTornRuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WarTornRuston
Member since 2011 • 2712 Posts

I rented it from Redbox and almost got it beat. So I was not gonna spend $60 on it. I don't really care about the multiplayer in it but I hear it is full of bugs and cheaters anyway. Game was great but I liked the first one better. Not something I would have in my collection to be honest....

WarTornRuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WarTornRuston

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

sts106mat

Its not COD or Halo, console casuals have no idea what max payne is.

i bought the game, found it a dull shooting gallery, took it back and got Batman Arkham City again and a shed load of MS points for the robin / nightwing / harley DLC and still have some left for the dawnguard DLC and new maps for Birds of Steel. all three of those games are far more enjoyable than max borefest 3.

He is not worth one letter. He has never added anything to a topic. He just trolls and pretends he is special in some way because he does not like what the majority does. Max Payne on the XBOX was a much better game then Max Payne 3. This one was a beautiful mess......worth the rental but not much more.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

If I had a job and wasn't a poor ass student then I totally would have bought it.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#33 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
I'm sure it's selling a respectable amount, but how the f*ck is it half as much as that dumbass L.A Noire?
NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Am I the only person who feels that if Rockstar never announced Grand Theft Auto V before Max Payne 3 was released, a lot more people would've bought MP3?

I remember everytime a new Max Payne 3 trailer was out people were just whining for GTA V.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#35 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Amazingly low considering the apparently huge advertising campaign for the game. Max Payne just seems to be a series that doesn't sell, the first two games deserved many more sales than they achieved.

They should have done an Epic and put GTA 5 beta code in the box or something.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 biggest_loser
It is a shame since it is a really great game. I got my copy on Steam.CanYouDiglt
So expensive on Steam. Like $89 (au) for a single player game padded with cutscenes and so-so MP! :(
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]It is a shame since it is a really great game. I got my copy on Steam.biggest_loser
So expensive on Steam. Like $89 (au) for a single player game padded with cutscenes and so-so MP! :(

Steam sucks for us down under. You might've known of this site, but here it's selling MP3 for AUD44. Australia still sucks and all, but yeah :P
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]I'm sure it's selling a respectable amount, but how the f*ck is it half as much as that dumbass L.A Noire?sts106mat
F*** knows, Rockstar need to stick to open world formula. RDR was awesome, GTA4 was at the time, good, though i got bored eventually i didn't appreciate the gritty story / atmosphere. If GTA5 is to be the same style, i might not get it day one. I hope they make it more like San Andreas in style.

I think they may have taken the GTA4 super serious criticisms to heart. The DLC was praised for being more fun than the main campaign. And they better take the Max Payne control scheme and plug it into GTA, because going back to old Rockstar games just shows how clunky they are, especially compared to the competition.
WarTornRuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 WarTornRuston

Am I the only person who feels that if Rockstar never announced Grand Theft Auto V before Max Payne 3 was released, a lot more people would've bought MP3?

I remember everytime a new Max Payne 3 trailer was out people were just whining for GTA V.

NirdBerd
I think the main problem with Max Payne 3 is the writing. Not that the story sucks but anyone who has played a Grand Theft Auto game knows exactly how Max Payne 3 was gonna be after the first 30 minutes. You could basically watch the game and see a character and no exactly how the topic or conversation was gonna play out. Also- Even though the shooting mechanics was good in Max Payne 3 it was still to glitchy. Sometimes he would not go into cover, sometimes one bullet to the chest would kill someone and other times it would take 10 shots. Max would dive with one gun then get up with another gun, sometimes the game refused to let me switch weapons...... I just think Rockstar's games are starting to blend in a little to much with the characters personalities and stereotypes. It's just old.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="NirdBerd"]

WarTornRuston
I think the main problem with Max Payne 3 is the writing. Not that the story sucks but anyone who has played a Grand Theft Auto game knows exactly how Max Payne 3 was gonna be after the first 30 minutes. You could basically watch the game and see a character and no exactly how the topic or conversation was gonna play out. Also- Even though the shooting mechanics was good in Max Payne 3 it was still to glitchy. Sometimes he would not go into cover, sometimes one bullet to the chest would kill someone and other times it would take 10 shots. Max would dive with one gun then get up with another gun, sometimes the game refused to let me switch weapons...... I just think Rockstar's games are starting to blend in a little to much with the characters personalities and stereotypes. It's just old.

I had those issues too, until I played the game again. I admittedly was playing it wrong, at least for conquering the Euphoria and Bullet middleware engines. Now I feel like a freakin' legend conquering the game on hard and with free aim. Only issue that remains is the cover system, but then again the only cover system that was ever perfected was in Gears of War.
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]It is a shame since it is a really great game. I got my copy on Steam.FrozenLiquid

Steam sucks for us down under. You might've known of this site, but here it's selling MP3 for AUD44. Australia still sucks and all, but yeah :P

Generally buy all my games off there (well the NZ one) these days, unless it's off steam or some other place can miraculously beat its pricing.
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
If this is true, what a shame. Game of the year so far, by far, and possibly the best third-person shooter this gen.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Possibly just a bad time for it to hit the shelves in terms of retail.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="soulitane"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"] So expensive on Steam. Like $89 (au) for a single player game padded with cutscenes and so-so MP! :(

Generally buy all my games off there (well the NZ one) these days, unless it's off steam or some other place can miraculously beat its pricing.

Hard. I wonder how MightyApe does since they get smashed by NZGameshop.com lol
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#46 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Not entirely confirmed, but I hope this isn't true. LA Noire sold well but still fell under "super mega hit" standards.

Max Payne 3 is the best title I've played yet this year, and if this is true I'd blame Rockstar's lack of marketing. They really should have had some more TV spots and ads for it.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="soulitane"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"] Steam sucks for us down under. You might've known of this site, but here it's selling MP3 for AUD44. Australia still sucks and all, but yeah :P

Hard. I wonder how MightyApe does since they get smashed by NZGameshop.com lol

Try and compensate by saying they are having a sale every day on the exact same items?
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FrozenLiquid

Not entirely confirmed, but I hope this isn't true. LA Noire sold well but still fell under "super mega hit" standards.

Max Payne 3 is the best title I've played yet this year, and if this is true I'd blame Rockstar's lack of marketing. They really should have had some more TV spots and ads for it.

SPYDER0416
The Max Payne 3 ad campaign is huge. If I'm not mistaken it's their biggest ad campaign yet.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FrozenLiquid

Try and compensate by saying they are having a sale every day on the exact same items? soulitane

did not know that lol. Never even browse there anymore.

JohnnyCageMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JohnnyCageMK
Member since 2012 • 4365 Posts
[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

FrozenLiquid
The Max Payne 3 ad campaign is huge. If I'm not mistaken it's their biggest ad campaign yet.

I only saw one Max Payne 3 commercial but they showed Diablo 3 and Ghost Recon commercials all the time.