Mass Effect is the most likely contender for GOTY

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts

Ok, to be perfectly honest... I was not excited about this game at all. Sure, it was being made by Bioware, but with the hype surround the game, I felt like I was bound to be met by a lackluster title.

Well, I was so dead wrong.

Mass Effect's graphics are brilliant. The graphics are remarkable, and unexpected from what I had thought developers were able to pull off with the 360. Each character is highly detailed, with bump mapping covering each and every character in the game. From the scar on your character's face, to the groves in your suit. Then the world itself is very detailed, such that every which way you turn, you will be met by a very believable landscape that fit's the extraterrestrial world the game takes place in.

The game is cinematic. It is like watching a CGI movie... but being very streamlined. The conversation sequences let you choose options before the person you are talking to finishs their sentence... allowing the dialogue to move smoothly. This coupled with the great camera shots and the very few redundant senteces found in most RPGs -- and it just makes it feel like you are playing a movie.

The controls; spot on. This was my biggest concern when reading about Mass Effect. I had thought to myself, "how can an RPG pull off being a third person shooter at the same time". Well, frankly, they did it and they did it well. It is essentially the same kind of shooting gameplay you will find with GoeW - but with futuristic weapons. Oh... and then there are the bionic powers... which give you some amazing powerups and attacks.

So much more to say... but I think you get the idea. From what I have played so far, this is the most likely candidate for GOTY.

Other games that I have played, and think are GOTY material: Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, Crysis, COD4

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts

Ok, to be perfectly honest... I was not excited about this game at all. Sure, it was being made by Bioware, but with the hype surround the game, I felt like I was bound to be met by a lackluster title.

Mass Effect's graphics are brilliant. The graphics are remarkable, and unexpected from what I had thought developers were able to pull off with the 360. Each character is highly detailed, with bump mapping covering each and every character in the game. From the scar on your character's face, to the groves in your suit. Then the world itself is very detailed, such that every which way you turn, you will be met by a very believable landscape that fit's the extraterrestrial world the game takes place in.

The game is cinematic. It is like watching a CGI movie... but being very streamlined. The conversation sequences let you choose options before the person you are talking to finishs their sentence... allowing the dialogue to move smoothly. This coupled with the great camera shots and the very few redundant senteces found in most RPGs -- and it just makes it feel like you are playing a movie.

The controls; spot on. This was my biggest concern when reading about Mass Effect. I had thought to myself, "how can an RPG pull off being a third person shooter at the same time". Well, frankly, they did it and they did it well. It is essentially the same kind of shooting gameplay you will find with GoeW - but with futuristic weapons. Oh... and then there are the bionic powers... which give you some amazing powerups and attacks.

So much more to say... but I think you get the idea. From what I have played so far, this is the most likely candidate for GOTY.

Other games that I have played, and think are GOTY material: Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, Crysis, COD4

rimnet00

thanx, that's what i want to hear. any downsides?

whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts

Mass Effect looks awesome and its my pick for GITy, but its facing some very stiff compeition from Crysis,SMG and Bioshock.

But from early review scores , a 9.75 and a 10, it looks like it'll live up to the hype.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
Bioshock is an utter waste of a game, the real GOTY contender right now is, and should be, Portal.
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rimnet00

thanx, that's what i want to hear. any downsides?

Always-Honest

It's got some frame rate issues. Which is probably due to the high quality graphics.

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rimnet00

Bioshock is an utter waste of a game, the real GOTY contender right now is, and should be, Portal.subrosian

Portal is great and all. I loved every minute of it. However, I think it was too short to even be considered.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 subrosian

[QUOTE="subrosian"]Bioshock is an utter waste of a game, the real GOTY contender right now is, and should be, Portal.rimnet00

Portal is great and all. I loved every minute of it. However, I think it was too short to even be considered.

It's not the length of the experience but the quality of the experience that should matter. Portal is the best three hours of gaming you can buy this generation, and while it faces stiff competition from SMG, Crysis, and perhaps Mass Effect, it shouldn't be discounted just because it's short.

Portal is the right length for what it was - I'd rather have the delicious perfect morsel of gaming that see it padded out with hours of tedious, repetitive tasks (see any MMO ever).

omgimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 omgimba
Member since 2007 • 2645 Posts

Well im not excited about Mass Effect at all...

Mostly because I didn't like KoTor. The voice acting and story was good. But the combat was really boring, can't belive they turned D&D into that.. Also the level design was possibly the most boring I ever saw in a game..

Well I know ME doesn't really resemble Kotor but it still makes me doubt the game..

Oh well.. Halo 3 or SMG will be goty. Most likely smg. (Possibly Crysis has a chance but doubt it)

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rimnet00

Well im not excited about Mass Effect at all...

Mostly because I didn't like KoTor. The voice acting and story was good. But the combat was really boring, can't belive they turned D&D into that.. Also the level design was possibly the most boring I ever saw in a game..

Well I know ME doesn't really resemble Kotor but it still makes me doubt the game..

Oh well.. Halo 3 or SMG will be goty. Most likely smg. (Possibly Crysis has a chance but doubt it)

omgimba

If it helps. I didn't like KOTOR and couldn't get into it at all. The combat in this game is not static in the least. It is a third person shooter in terms of gameplay.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44071 Posts

Sounds as great as I and many were hoping for.

Now, I'm teased beyond :lol: why won't my local Kmart sell me a copy :cry:

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

Portal is the best three hours of gaming you can buy this generation,subrosian
Lies.

The first hour was just getting to level 18. Then the next hour or hour and a half was pretty great, but not in any way close to the "best".

The only best was the boss fight (and not the actual fight, just what thebeing said)and subsequent song.

That might be the best ending song... or any song ever.

King_of_Sorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 King_of_Sorrow
Member since 2007 • 1193 Posts
Mass Effect to me is one of those niche games very few talk about, but since they love it so much they going to hype itto no end. This is very similar to KOTOR.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 subrosian

[QUOTE="subrosian"]Portal is the best three hours of gaming you can buy this generation,Jandurin

Lies.

The first hour was just getting to level 18. Then the next hour or hour and a half was pretty great, but not in any way close to the "best".

The only best was the boss fight (and not the actual fight, just what thebeing said)and subsequent song.

That might be the best ending song... or any song ever.

I'm sorry you do not enjoy gaming. I'm afraid we're going to have to revoke your license, please turn in all of your gaming consoles to the nearest requisition center and prepare for decommissioning. It looks like you'll be missing SMG and Brawl. I'm sorry it had to happen this way sir, things could have been so much different.

You will be baked, and then there will be cake.

mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mingo123
Member since 2007 • 9005 Posts

rimnet00

no Assassins Credd in ur GOTY material list :cry:

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

Mass Effect to me is one of those niche games very few talk about, but since they love it so much they going to hype itto no end. This is very similar to KOTOR.King_of_Sorrow

The first KOTOR sold 1.3 million on the Xbox in the US alone.

In gaming, that's not niche.

ff7isnumbaone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 ff7isnumbaone
Member since 2005 • 5352 Posts

bu bu bu,GoW 2,cod 4,bioshock, halo3 > mass effect. especially when it comes to the type of people who like them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

You will be baked, and then there will be cake.subrosian

Double meanings ftw? :P

GXR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 GXR
Member since 2003 • 1476 Posts

rimnet00

I agree, Mass Effect is by far a greatGOTY contender

ByFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ByFly
Member since 2006 • 1917 Posts
Well if ME gets 9.5, I think IT will be goty here in gamespot..
Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Always-Honest

[QUOTE="subrosian"]Bioshock is an utter waste of a game, the real GOTY contender right now is, and should be, Portal.rimnet00

portal is brilliant. even a short game can be a game of the year for me, but i think Mass Effect, Crysis and Galaxy top it.

@ subrosian: Bioshhock wasn't a waste at all. very well made great game imo.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 subrosian
[QUOTE="rimnet00"]

[QUOTE="subrosian"]Bioshock is an utter waste of a game, the real GOTY contender right now is, and should be, Portal.Always-Honest

portal is brilliant. even a short game can be a game of the year for me, but i think Mass Effect, Crysis and Galaxy top it.

@ subrosian: Bioshhock wasn't a waste at all. very well made great game imo.

Bioshock never should have attempted to call itself a System Shock 2 successor, and stands as a shining beacon to everything wrong with writing and design in games. When a developer talks about "real moral consequences" and yet my choices were "super good" or "ultra evil" (with appropriate endings) and nothing to really cause me any guilt in taking either path, I have to sneer.

That's not "real moral choice" - I've never been faced with a situation that was so purely black & white in my life - real morality is shades of gray, ambiguity, and complex interactions. Real morality is often the lesser of two-evils. Add in Bioshock's lack of real difficulty, and lack of reward for tackling an encounter with intellectual prowess (rather than going in, guns blazing) and it adds up to a game that under-delievered.

For comparission, I highly suggest you play Deus Ex, a game that was better in every conceivable way (with the exception of graphics, obviously, as it is a much older title).

SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 SgtWhiskeyjack
Member since 2004 • 16364 Posts

Where is Mass Effect available from, UK or US?

Great to know it is actually good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

SgtWhiskeyjack
A couple online and brick stores broke release date in the US.
CrimsonTide29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 CrimsonTide29
Member since 2004 • 100 Posts

Portal will not be nominated for GOTY. I believe Gamespot will just nominate The Orange Box as a whole.

The Orange Box, Bioshock, Super Mario Galaxy, Crysis, Halo 3 (yes it will be on there), and probably Mass Effect (I doubt it flops) will be the real runners for GOTY

Could we see a game like World in Conflict be considered though?

SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SgtWhiskeyjack
Member since 2004 • 16364 Posts
[QUOTE="SgtWhiskeyjack"]

Jandurin

I'm so jealous of those that have it, but I can wait. Sweet torture :D

skeebo_max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 skeebo_max
Member since 2003 • 50 Posts

GOTY for sure. I didn't like KOTOR.Mass Effectis a shinning example of how good and refreshing a western RPG can be. The fun factor is through the roof and I can honestly say I've never had fun playing an RPG. That's just a personal preference. I can't believe how much fun I'm having. note: I'm only six hours in.

The only downsideso far for me is that textures load slow and pop in like they did in Riddick and Halo 2. For a game that is so immersive, that takes you out of the experience a bit.

GabeBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GabeBlack
Member since 2005 • 1821 Posts

Mass Effect to me is one of those niche games very few talk about, but since they love it so much they going to hype itto no end. This is very similar to KOTOR.King_of_Sorrow

Kind of like uncharted?

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Always-Honest

When a developer talks about "real moral consequences" and yet my choices were "super good" or "ultra evil" (with appropriate endings) and nothing to really cause me any guilt in taking either path, I have to sneer.

real morality is shades of gray, ambiguity, and complex interactions. Real morality is often the lesser of two-evils.

For comparission, I highly suggest you play Deus Ex, a game that was better in every conceivable way (with the exception of graphics, obviously, as it is a much older title).

subrosian

i agree on hat part, but the game was very good imo. i don't know who called it a System Shock 2 successor, but i never expected or wanted it to be.

Deux ex was a better game in some regards, yes.

Still. i reall enjoyed the gameplay and the atmosphere. i didn't use the respawn points though. that was too easy (but optional).

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

if mass effect gets game of the year final fantasy 13 and versus better get game of friggin millenium thats rediculous a average rpg its not online, not multiplayer an the single player does half of what an final fantasy rpg has this not goty im sorry i have say somethin an stand up

mass effect is not in the leauge of the best rpg's ever made theres online rpg's like WoW that are better theres fun games like diablo 2 and fable

theres final fantasy which just blow biowares basic flatline rpgs outa the water with storytelling an cgi an graphics an gameplay an music this cant win goty it just cant i would they have to leave room for improvement cuz ff13 is comin out soon if they dont leave room for improvement what are they gonna do when the uber rpg's come out like ff13 there gonna be like o crap we gave mass effect a 10 an goty but now ff13 is so much better an omg wha tdo we do

they wont be able to do anythin an they saw it comin which is why its so sad that ppl are actually sayin this is goty or rpg of the next gen thats just disgustin to me imo

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Always-Honest

ff13ProtossRushX

did you play it?

Tatimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Tatimus
Member since 2005 • 167 Posts

if mass effect gets game of the year final fantasy 13 and versus better get game of friggin millenium thats rediculous a average rpg its not online, not multiplayer an the single player does half of what an final fantasy rpg has this not goty im sorry i have say somethin an stand up

mass effect is not in the leauge of the best rpg's ever made theres online rpg's like WoW that are better theres fun games like diablo 2 and fable

theres final fantasy which just blow biowares basic flatline rpgs outa the water with storytelling an cgi an graphics an gameplay an music this cant win goty it just cant i would they have to leave room for improvement cuz ff13 is comin out soon if they dont leave room for improvement what are they gonna do when the uber rpg's come out like ff13 there gonna be like o crap we gave mass effect a 10 an goty but now ff13 is so much better an omg wha tdo we do

they wont be able to do anythin an they saw it comin which is why its so sad that ppl are actually sayin this is goty or rpg of the next gen thats just disgustin to me imo

ProtossRushX

I didn't understand any of that. Get out with final fantasy fanboy garbage.

Avatar image for VividScientific
VividScientific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 VividScientific
Member since 2003 • 1871 Posts

[QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"]Mass Effect to me is one of those niche games very few talk about, but since they love it so much they going to hype itto no end. This is very similar to KOTOR.GabeBlack

So similar to KOTOR in fact that it will win GOTY just like its predecessor.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 subrosian
[QUOTE="subrosian"]

When a developer talks about "real moral consequences" and yet my choices were "super good" or "ultra evil" (with appropriate endings) and nothing to really cause me any guilt in taking either path, I have to sneer.

real morality is shades of gray, ambiguity, and complex interactions. Real morality is often the lesser of two-evils.

Always-Honest

i agree on hat part, but the game was very good imo. i don't know who called it a System Shock 2 successor, but i never expected or wanted it to be.

Deux ex was a better game in some regards, yes.

Still. i reall enjoyed the gameplay and the atmosphere. i didn't use the respawn points though. that was too easy (but optional).

It has a great atmosphere, but there are too many great games this year for me to place much weight on a title with just atmosphere to win GOTY, especially one with the flaws of Bioshock. In terms of atmospheric games as well, Portal did a solid job of making you feel like a rat trapped in a maze, and I can't call SMG anything short of atmospheric.

I don't know, I can't see Bioshock taking home the crown, given everything else that has come out this year.

Memnock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 Memnock
Member since 2002 • 15470 Posts
KOTOR was my favorite game of all time, I know I'm going to love this one. Bioware does not dissapoint.. well usually they don't. Jade Empire was rather "meh".
reza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 reza
Member since 2003 • 459 Posts

ProtossRushX

so you played FF13 and mass effect?

fable isnt even close to the Bioware games, and WoW is just crap.

BioWare is one of the best RPG developers in the world BTW.

deviates1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deviates1080
Member since 2006 • 1926 Posts

Similar to GOTY KOTOR?

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

SgtWhiskeyjack

[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="SgtWhiskeyjack"]

SgtWhiskeyjack

I'm so jealous of those that have it, but I can wait. Sweet torture :D

Yes, let me FEED off of your jealousy! :twisted:

If you go K-mart, there MIGHT still be a copy or two left...

reza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 reza

ProtossRushX

on gamerankings list best 2 RPG games ever are KOTOR and Baldur's gate 2. and guess what, they are both made by bioware.

and your best FF is 7th, so stop talking out of your **** if you know nothing, FF is best game bla bla.

im not saying that mass effect will be better than FF13 for sure but their past records shows BioWare is doing better than SE.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
chrono trigger is higher, it just only has 13 reviews. PWNED.
Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

i dont care about game rankin like i said earlier what a game gets does not matter to me its HOW much i like the game an get out of the game that matters

they could give a kotor 10/10 an i played it an still think it is horrible compared to ff7/ffx and commercially it didn't sell 1/4 of what ff7 sold and 1/2 of what ffx sold so it was commercially a flop compared to final fantasy series plz leave ur overbloated reviews somehwere else when i rate a game i do it on fun an kotor was not fun an i have the box an played it for 5 hours before giving up its nowhere close to my ff games sorry bro

mtradr43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mtradr43
Member since 2005 • 5272 Posts
i thought portal sucked. for one, it was a couple of hours. second, it was so easy a fifth grader can do all the puzzles. the only thing hard is the time trial and stuff, which i havent tried yet, and feel no desire to.
mtradr43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mtradr43
Member since 2005 • 5272 Posts

[QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"]Mass Effect to me is one of those niche games very few talk about, but since they love it so much they going to hype itto no end. This is very similar to KOTOR.deviates1080

Similar to GOTY KOTOR?

from what ive heard, it lays the proverbial raping to every single aspect of kotor.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 subrosian

i dont care about game rankin like i said earlier what a game gets does not matter to me its HOW much i like the game an get out of the game that matters

they could give a kotor 10/10 an i played it an still think it is horrible compared to ff7/ffx and commercially it didn't sell 1/4 of what ff7 sold and 1/2 of what ffx sold so it was commercially a flop compared to final fantasy series plz leave ur overbloated reviews somehwere else when i rate a game i do it on fun an kotor was not fun an i have the box an played it for 5 hours before giving up its nowhere close to my ff games sorry bro

ProtossRushX

Your opinion on RPGs seems remarakably indepedant from whether or not the game was actually *good*. MMORPGs like WoW are in an entirely different genre, as are hack-n-slash titles such as Diablo 2. Fable and Final Fantasy X were dissapointments of the highest degree.

Dragonball Z is a mediocre anime, btw, I'd suggest you catch up on the classics (Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, et cetera) and then move towards something with a bit more depth than "Freezer, my muscles are twitching, because you are a *****".

reza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 reza

ProtossRushX

nor reviwers nor players care what protossRushX think of mass effect. they gave kotor a better score than any FF and they can give Mass Effect a 10(not very likely tho) and make it GOTY. no matter what you think of it.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

ProtossRushX
If that's truly how you think, then I honestly pity you. You seem to be attracted to mediocrity, whatwith you having a DBZ avatar and thinking FFX is one of the best games of all time...
reza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 reza

chrono trigger is higher, it just only has 13 reviews. PWNED.Jandurin

are you talking to me? pwned for what?

game rankings top 10 RPGs list says:

1.SW:KOTOR XBOX

2.BG2:SoA PC

OremLK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 OremLK
Member since 2007 • 745 Posts

I'm not sure it's the most likely contender for GameSpot, but for many other rags, yes. I'd put it about even in chances with SMG and Crysis here. The only other 9.5 game with a chance of getting it this year is Halo 3, and I don't think it'll win (but it could). All of the other ones seem ruled out for one reason or another.

deviates1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deviates1080
Member since 2006 • 1926 Posts

ProtossRushX

:lol: So you don't trustreviews (fair enough on that point), yet you expect people to take your opinion as gospel it seems. You should stop licking those windows, it's clearly bad for you.

ghostofzabis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ghostofzabis
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts

I dunno... From the mass effect board, ME doesn't seem that perfect as it is hyped to be; but then the players who (claim) get the game and beat it, may be just disappointed 'cuz ME got too much hype...

GabeBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GabeBlack
Member since 2005 • 1821 Posts

ProtossRushX

What I have just read... I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. From just reading this single post I feel like my soul has just gotten a bit darker.

You rant about FF13 being the savior of the millenium, when we know next to nothing about the game! We dont even know if it will have Online multiplayer because both FF10 and FF12 were said to have some type of Online. SO when or if we find out that FF13 does not have online does that mean FF13 is going to be nothing compared to other games that have online play?

You talk about WoW and Diablo 2 being more fun then Mass effect when you have not even played the game, Its not even been released yet and yet you bash a game which has been reviewed to have some of the best story telling in a long time.

You are also comparing a game that is about to be releashed with a game we dont know when it will be released. And saying said soon to be released game sucks compared to said game we know hardly anything about.

You seem to be angry that Mass Effect could get game of the Year for 2007. Well Final Fantasy 13 is not even going to be released in 07! Hell maybe not even 08.

Everything you have typed is bloody irrational and you should be ashamed for even posting it.