Mass Effect 1 vs Mass Effect 2 (graphics)

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

Which one do you think was better with graphics.

I think the first one actually has better graphics although I am judging this by the PC version of both.

Mass effect one seems to be more polished while the second game has too many smoke and mirrors.

The second one adds a lot of shiny bright materials which reminds me of the chrome age where lots of devs where covering their game with metallic objects.

Also the inconsistency with textures is pretty bad.

I know mass effect 1 had some parts but no where near as bad in certain areas.

Just take a look at how back this looks.....and it is right next to a good texture which makes it worse.

Mass Effect 1 had the option to use ultra high textures while the second has no option for textures.

lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts
Speaking of the 360 version, Mass Effect 2 definately looks better than Mass Effect 1.
pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

u cannot even compare the graphics me 2 looks so much better. i never like me1 but i love me2. me1 trully is an ugly looking game with bad animation and every one walks weird in that game. me2 looks outstanding compared to it and levels are very nice also the gameplay in me2 is outstanding

Fried_Shrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fried_Shrimp
Member since 2009 • 2902 Posts
MassEffect 2 looked and played much better than the first.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
I thought they both looked super pretty. Didn't see much of an improvement to the 2nd one, tho texture pop was gone completely.
DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#6 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
The intro of Mass Effect 2 is all I need to be convinced those graphics blow the first one away :D.
Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hakkai007

u cannot even compare the graphics me 2 looks so much better. i never like me1 but i love me2. me1 trully is an ugly looking game with bad animation and every one walks weird in that game. me2 looks outstanding compared to it and levels are very nice also the gameplay in me2 is outstanding

pc-ps360

This is mass effect 1 and it didn't look so bad.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
mass effect 2 is better game for mass effect 1
New_Messege

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 New_Messege
Member since 2010 • 304 Posts
OMG you guys the first Mass Effect was awsome stop hating.
pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pc-ps360

[QUOTE="pc-ps360"]

Hakkai007

all i will say if u played mass effect 2 before mass effect 1 it is a very bad idea.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hakkai007

[QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

[QUOTE="pc-ps360"]

pc-ps360

all i will say if u played mass effect 2 before mass effect 1 it is a very bad idea.

Well yah it would be bad to play the second if you did not play the first because of the story.

I played the first one and now I am playing the second one.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
Both games have pretty meh visual design. Like step it up Bioware.
pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pc-ps360

[QUOTE="pc-ps360"]

[QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

Hakkai007

Well yah it would be bad to play the second if you did not play the first because of the story.

for me i played me2 first i loved it so i decided to play me1 and i hated everything about it i could not stand the game. also me2 story get u up to date u dont need to play the first to enjoy the story of the second

New_Messege

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 New_Messege
Member since 2010 • 304 Posts
Both games have pretty meh visual design. Like step it up Bioware. AAllxxjjnn
Define "visual design"
Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hakkai007

[QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

[QUOTE="pc-ps360"]

pc-ps360

for me i played me2 first i loved it so i decided to play me1 and i hated everything about it i could not stand the game. also me2 story get u up to date u dont need to play the first to enjoy the story of the second

Well playing the first adds a lot to the story and it has more meaning that way.

The first game is fun but it seems people like easy fast paced third person shooters.

I don't like the second as much although the presentation is better I just don't like the new controls and settings.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Mass Effect 1 had terrible up close textures on both the 360 version and PC version. Mass Effect 2 does not suffer from that, and it runs much better.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hakkai007

Mass Effect 1 had terrible up close textures on both the 360 version and PC version. Mass Effect 2 does not suffer from that, and it runs much better.

JangoWuzHere

I just posted a screenshot of one of the most horrible textures I have seen in this current gen and it was in mass effect 2.

What made it worse is that texture was added to all of that area.

I did not really see many bad environmental textures in Mass Effect 1. There were some poor clothing textures but Mass Effect 2 still has that.

Mass Effect 1 seemed to have more polish in the environments.

Also Mass Effect 1 had the option for ultra high textures.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

Hakkai007

I just posted a screenshot of one of the most horrible textures I have seen in this current gen and it was in mass effect 2.

Never noticed that texture before. I noticed a lot more high quality textures in ME2.

I did not really see many bad environmental textures in Mass Effect 1. There were some poor clothing textures but Mass Effect 2 still has that.

the poor clothing textures was MUCH more noticable in ME1.

I disagree

So? The difference between high quality and ultra was unnoticable

guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts
Mass Effect 2 looks is much better than Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 gameplay is much better too
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#20 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I have only played the console version. ME2 looks alot better than ME

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Hakkai007

[QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

JangoWuzHere

Never noticed that texture before. I noticed a lot more high quality textures in ME2.

I disagree

Here is another and it looks bad even from far away.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JangoWuzHere

ok..

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hakkai007

Yah I know the clothes textures were bad in some characters but that has not changed with mass effect 2.

And let me find that part in the PC version and see how it was.

Hopefully I got a save for it as it was close to the beginning.

Avatar image for deactivated-57f6810aefea1
deactivated-57f6810aefea1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 deactivated-57f6810aefea1
Member since 2009 • 497 Posts

havent played ME2 yet, but ME1 has ridiculous texture popin issues and some frame rate issues when there are more enemies onscreen. Xbox version of course.

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#25 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

Easily Mass Effect 2. My only problem with Mass Effect is that the textures usually load up after you begin gameplay.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hakkai007

havent played ME2 yet, but ME1 has ridiculous texture popin issues and some frame rate issues when there are more enemies onscreen. Xbox version of course.

Bunj84

The PC version didn't really have this issue at all.

And I can't seem to find a save with that NPC in the pic but I think that is just about as bad as it was for me.

ExESGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ExESGO
Member since 2010 • 1895 Posts

[QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

JangoWuzHere

I disagree

The only noticeable difference between High and Ultra-High was Garrus' face.
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

[QUOTE="Bunj84"]

Hakkai007

And I can't seem to find a save with that NPC in the pic but I think that is just about as bad as it was for me.

Please post a screenshot, then people might believe what you're saying.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#29 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

Can't say here because I don't know why on my pc ME1 looks so awful:cry: but I can say that Mass Effect2 looks great.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hakkai007

[QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

[QUOTE="Bunj84"]

waltefmoney

A screenshot of what?

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 waltefmoney

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"][QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

Hakkai007

A screenshot of what?

A screenshot of the PC version not having the low res texture issue that JangoWuzHere posted.
Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Hakkai007

[QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"] Please post a screenshot, then people might believe what you're saying.waltefmoney

A screenshot of what?

A screenshot of the PC version not having the low res texture issue that JangoWuzHere posted.

He posted some of the characters and I agreed that mass effect 1 had some bad clothes textures on NPCs but so does Mass Effect 2.

If I had the save where that NPC was at I would post screenshots but sadly I do not have that save point.

My arguement was with the horrible textures that Mass Effect 2 had in some maps like the one I posted.

It wasn't just 1 or 2 objects with bad textures it was a bad textures that covered a lot of the walls and it made it worse because it was right next to some good textures on the ground.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

A game first in the series from 2007 that wasn't well optimized versus a 2010 game with much better optimization and money put towards it?

I don't know, it's a tough one champ.

Both games play well and are on my top ten list, so let's just call it the "Mass Effect Series/Franchise" instead.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 waltefmoney

A screenshot of what?

Hakkai007

He posted some of the characters and I agreed that mass effect 1 had some bad clothes textures on NPCs but so does Mass Effect 2.

My arguement was with the horrible textures that Mass Effect 2 had in some maps like the one I posted.

It wasn't just 1 or 2 objects with bad textures it was a bad textures that covered a lot of the walls and it made it worse because it was right next to some good textures on the ground.

I don't remember ever seeing those low res wall textures and I played the game on the 360. Anyway, a few bad textures and all of a sudden the game looks worse? How about all of the character models looking better, better overall animations, better particle effects..
Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hakkai007

Also Mass Effect 2 seemed like a hasty console port to the PC.

They did not fix the video cutscenes and they are horribly pixelated.

I know why they are like that and it's because the videos are displayed in 1280x720 and my resolution is 1680x1050.

Since the aspect ratio of the movies are 16:9 and my resolution is 16:10 the pixels do not align correctly making the videos eye bleeding to watch.

I wish there was a fix for this, I had the same problem with the Witcher.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Hakkai007

[QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"] A screenshot of the PC version not having the low res texture issue that JangoWuzHere posted. waltefmoney

I don't remember ever seeing those low res wall textures and I played the game on the 360. Anyway, a few bad textures and all of a sudden the game looks worse? How about all of the character models looking better, better overall animations, better particle effects..

Character models are the same to me. animations may be a little better in parts. And yes having a whole map covered in ugly wall textures while the floor looks great is bad.

Also the shiny effect and over bloom is kind of bad.

Particles effects don't look much more amazing just more smoke and mirrors.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JangoWuzHere

I know why they are like that and it's because the videos are displayed in 1280x720 and my resolution is 1680x1050.

Since the aspect ration of the movies are 16:9 and my resolution is 16:10 the pixels do not align correctly making the videos eye bleeding to watch.

Hakkai007
I don't like to argue with PC gamers who just throw out the word "console port" to every game they see....
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 waltefmoney

Hakkai007

Character models are the same to me. animations may be a little better in parts. And yes having a whole map covered in ugly wall textures while the floor looks great is bad.

Well the only thing you showed was one wall from one section of a level. If you would kindly point me to the entire level covered in low resolution wall textures I would love to see it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5fae21e61a964

[QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

Since the aspect ration of the movies are 16:9 and my resolution is 16:10 the pixels do not align correctly making the videos eye bleeding to watch.

JangoWuzHere

I don't like to argue with PC gamers who just throw out the word "console port" to every game they see....

Apparently ME2 plays better on the console, and combined with somewhat clunky movement and cover system on the PC, I can see why the came is considered a console port.

But is there really anything to argue? It's not like the graphics got worse. Did you see the opening sequences, the closeups to the characters and the clothing?

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ravenchrome
Member since 2010 • 1776 Posts

I don't care much about graphics in Bioware's games.

Their graphics suck.

I play for character's interaction an lore.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Hakkai007

[QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

JangoWuzHere

Well it is true.

The PC version of Mas Effect 2 has very little video settings compared to Mass Effect 2 and they kept the cutscenes at 720p only which screws anyone over who has a 16:10 monitor.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"][QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

Hakkai007

Well it is true.

The PC version of Mas Effect 2 has very little video settings compared to Mass Effect 2 and they kept the cutscenes at 720p only which screws anyone over who has a 16:10 monitor.

Well good thing I play all my games at 1920x1080:) Cutscenes looked fine to me
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Mass Effect 2 had better graphics and gameplay.
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 waltefmoney
Suddenly this whole topic makes sense.
Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Hakkai007

Sheppard212

Apparently ME2 plays better on the console, and combined with somewhat clunky movement and cover system on the PC, I can see why the came is considered a console port.

But is there really anything to argue? It's not like the graphics got worse. Did you see the opening sequences, the closeups to the characters and the clothing?

Cut scenes were horrible because they were all pixelated. I already mentioned why that is.

The clothes on the main characters are usually great whether it is ME1 or ME2.

But there are some bad textures still.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JangoWuzHere

Sheppard212

Based on what? movement and aiming is fine, so I don't know what you are talking about. Especially considering that the raidal menu in the console version just slows the action down compared to the hotkeys on the PC version.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5fae21e61a964

[QUOTE="Sheppard212"]

JangoWuzHere

Based on what? movement and aiming is fine, so I don't know what you are talking about. Especially considering that the raidal menu in the console version just slows the action down compared to the hotkeys on the PC version.

Based upon what the players have been sayign abotu the game. Now, let me make myself clear: The cover system has a few quirks that annoys me from time to time, but it's a minor gripe and it doesn't subtract from the signle best SP experince yet. But basically, the game apparentky runs "better" on a 360. But I wouldn't know, I'm a PC gamer and I enjoyed it anyway.

The version I played had better scanning speeds and Mako controls. :D

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Hakkai007

[QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"] I don't remember ever seeing those low res wall textures and I played the game on the 360. Anyway, a few bad textures and all of a sudden the game looks worse? How about all of the character models looking better, better overall animations, better particle effects..waltefmoney

Well the only thing you showed was one wall from one section of a level. If you would kindly point me to the entire level covered in low resolution wall textures I would love to see it.

Fine I will post more of that level.

coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

Everyone bashing different stuff.

Some are bashing ME1 textures, some ME2 textures and cutscenes, now even controlls.

Here's what:

ME1 - Graphics were fine, only the clothing wasn't detailed, but the face textures and animations were awesome.

ME2 - Cutscenes were fine,textures were fine aswell and it plays better on PC (my opinion cuz I can't even use a controller)

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 waltefmoney
Hakkai007, which level is that?