Major Nelson Mocks 360 Owners and Epic!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gmastersexay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gmastersexay
Member since 2003 • 3831 Posts

http://kotaku.com/gaming/dig-up-stupid/major-nelson-mocks-gamers-undermines-position-258464.php

Major DouchebagĀ mocks. Get to the seven-minute mark of his podcast and hear what it sounds like when a man and his show's guest not only completely undermine more than a year's worth of community-building PR, but take a nasty little swing at the team behind the 360's sole AAA title. Highlights:

MajorĀ Douchbag on the new Gears maps (in his best comic-book-nerd voice): "Oh, wait a minute, 800 points, we want it for free!"

When discussing Epic's influence in convincing Microsoft to increase the 360's memory from 256MB to 512MB, we get:

e: "I do find this amusing that on the one hand Epic are saying, "Ha ha we cost you a billion dollars", and on the other hand saying, "But these [map packs] should be free!"

Ā 

Major Douchebag: "They love spending other peoples money

hotdaisy18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 hotdaisy18
Member since 2004 • 1909 Posts
Wow. :lol:
OXIIIIXO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 OXIIIIXO
Member since 2006 • 2337 Posts
They are starting to blame others for their losses, nice. They could have just said no, it's not like Epic owns them, idiots.
Avatar image for GermanShepard06
GermanShepard06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GermanShepard06
Member since 2006 • 3285 Posts
wow $ rofl
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 alfy13
Member since 2004 • 3600 Posts

wow

Fruity_Fantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fruity_Fantasy
Member since 2007 • 778 Posts

Why would anybody care what major nelson has to say?

-Maddog-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Maddog-
Member since 2007 • 882 Posts

That guy is just, well...........An IDIOT. Yes, that summed him up nicely.

Ā 

Ā 

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
The Xbox house of cards is falling apart lemmings.
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts
I don't get it. Is this good or bad or just a joke?
Fruity_Fantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fruity_Fantasy
Member since 2007 • 778 Posts

Lazy_Boy88

lol, what's that suppose to mean? Is our video game lifes going to end or something?

Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shazenab
Member since 2004 • 3413 Posts
Major Nelson has been taking PR tips from Sony.
killaj2786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 killaj2786
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts
It called jokes...even tho he failed miserably at it.
NickyJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NickyJD
Member since 2007 • 231 Posts
You're making a mountain out of noithing. You just don't like the guy, I see nothing wrong with what he said.
jessesalinas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jessesalinas
Member since 2007 • 2935 Posts

i already bought the maps so i really dont care what anybody has to say.

Ā 

Ā 

jessesalinas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jessesalinas
Member since 2007 • 2935 Posts
Lazy_Boy88
huh?
xg_knightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 xg_knightmare
Member since 2003 • 180 Posts

Major Nelson has been taking PR tips from Sony.Shazenab

My thoughts exactly. God help MS if they follow in Sony's PR footsteps.

BrooklynBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BrooklynBomber
Member since 2007 • 1507 Posts

Ā 

Ā 

jessesalinas

Not me I bet they will be free in a couple of months like the halo maps I brought last time. Also I have a problem with ms forcing devs to make us pay for things the devs want us to have for free.Ā 

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I do think Major Nelson is a jackhole, what I don't get, isĀ  I HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT. I never thought otherwise, the fact that some of you are wise to his Pro-M$ shenanigan's JUST NOW...well, frankly scares me.

He is just doing his job at Damage Control, which is what I expected, nothing new From him here.

Hopefully, some of you will wake up to this.

Ā 

Let's not even talk about how HORRIBLY priced GH2's Songs are...$6.25 for 3 songs...how much does that add up doo? Hmmm....Ā 

Ā 

_koolgirl_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 _koolgirl_
Member since 2006 • 713 Posts

It's obvious the people who posted didn't even bother listening to the podcast.

Taken out of context fits the bill.

This article was taken from Kotaku, the difference is Kotaku readers actually will listen to the podcast and their replies show it.

It was Epics decision for the 360 to have more RAM, therfore the "costing us a billion dollars" comment.Ā 

People are freaking over the cost of the maps but only because they know Epic wanted them to be free.Ā  If they had made them free, it would undermine publishers like Ubisoft that actually want to make money.Ā  There were no posts about Ubisoft ripping people with R6 map pack.Ā 

Ā 

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidTy

Ā 

Ā 

jessesalinas

Ā 

Good job.

You just proved his point. Way to show M$ and the man...$10 what a deal!!!

Me?

I'm not getting ripped off, so I'll wait for a :

Price Drop

OR

Free by Sept.

Either way, I don't want to get ripped off anymore, like the "Horse Armor" and "GH2 Song Pricing" debacles.Ā 

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidTy

This article was taken from Kotaku, the difference is Kotaku readers actually will listen to the podcast and their replies show it.

It was Epics decision for the 360 to have more RAM, therfore the "costing us a billion dollars" comment.

People are freaking over the cost of the maps but only because they know Epic wanted them to be free. If they had made them free, it would undermine publishers like Ubisoft that actually want to make money. There were no posts about Ubisoft ripping people with R6 map pack.

Ā 

_koolgirl_

But there should have been posts like that, because Ubisoft was ripping off customers.

That's just another example of a pack I'm waiting for.

The Worst companies for this crud :

EA

Activision

Ubisoft.

Want another ripoff example?

Call of Duty 2...Map Pack 2 or whatever. I am still waiting for that, hell, Call of Duty 32 came out and they are still charging.

Xbox Live is really getting on a lot of people's nerves.Ā 

_koolgirl_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 _koolgirl_
[QUOTE="_koolgirl_"]

It was Epics decision for the 360 to have more RAM, therfore the "costing us a billion dollars" comment.

People are freaking over the cost of the maps but only because they know Epic wanted them to be free. If they had made them free, it would undermine publishers like Ubisoft that actually want to make money. There were no posts about Ubisoft ripping people with R6 map pack.

Ā 

SolidTy

But there should have been posts like that, because Ubisoft was ripping off customers.

That's just another example of a pack I'm waiting for.

The Worst companies for this crud :

EA

Activision

Ubisoft.

Want another ripoff example?

Call of Duty 2...Map Pack 2 or whatever. I am still waiting for that, hell, Call of Duty 32 came out and they are still charging.

Xbox Live is really getting on a lot of people's nerves.Ā 

The worst IMO in EA, only because they try to charge for things that can be unlocked ingame if your just willing to play it.Ā 

Anyways, my thinking for alot of companies though, is where is the motivation with even bothering with new maps, they alreadyĀ sold the product.Ā  So if I'm faced with pay money for new content or not have new content, I'll pay.

On that thinking I see MS's side of things.Ā  If you have your biggest game giving away stuff for free it will only hurt companies trying to charge

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidTy

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against paying for new Content, it's the PRICING that irks me.

It's simply way, way overpriced.

However, I don't mind paying for something more fair, but $10 for 4 new maps....not a good deal.

Gears already was $60 (M$ said 1st party games were to be $50) and I bought the COLLECTOR'S version for $70, so I don't want to pay more than $5 for these maps.

Don't get me started on how much Bethesda, M$, and co weasled out of me with Elder Scrolls 4.

Either way, the pricing is rediculous when you consider than it's just some maps...but, It will be cheaper/free one day.

I won't pay anymore based on principle.

With that $10, I'll just go reserve Bioshock and Mass Effect instead. Money much better spent.Ā 

_koolgirl_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 _koolgirl_

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against paying for new Content, it's the PRICING that irks me.

However, I don't mind paying for something more fair, but $10 for 4 new maps....not a good deal.

Gears already was $60 (M$ said 1st party games were to be $50) and I bought the COLLECTOR'S version for $70, so I don't want to pay more than $5 for these maps.

Don't get me started on how much Bethesda, M$, and co weasled out of me with Elder Scrolls 4.

Either way, the pricing is rediculous when you consider than it's just some maps...but, It will be cheaper/free one day.

With that $10, I'll just go reserve Bioshock and Mass Effect instead. Money much better spent.Ā 

SolidTy

I agree, things are overpriced for what you get.Ā  If it was up to me, gamerpics/themes would be free with the game.Ā  That is the only ripoff I see.Ā 

Yet, they would not continue to do it if they were not people out there paying.Ā  That is one of the things that had irked me and BF from the start, yet we constantly run into people with purchased Halo pics so I guess we gave up.Ā  We kept saying "noone will buy this ish" and then they will make it free, yet apparantly people have money to burn.

Now I personally owning the system since launch have purchased 1, count em, 1 theme and no pics.Ā  Apparantly people do buy them though, GRRRR.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

SolidTy
comming from a person whos probly never made a map, its vastly harder to create maps for console then pc, and i personally applaud major for finally telling it, that most gamers really are whiney and want every thing for free, and for stating his opinion that a company that pushes for 512mbs of ram, gets millions upon millions spent on their game, and then says any after profit should instead be no profit, then they needa shut up.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SolidTy
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

With that $10, I'll just go reserve Bioshock and Mass Effect instead. Money much better spent.

_koolgirl_

I agree, things are overpriced for what you get. If it was up to me, gamerpics/themes would be free with the game. That is the only ripoff I see.

Yet, they would not continue to do it if they were not people out there paying. That is one of the things that had irked me and BF from the start, yet we constantly run into people with purchased Halo pics so I guess we gave up. We kept saying "noone will buy this ish" and then they will make it free, yet apparantly people have money to burn.

Now I personally owning the system since launch have purchased 1, count em, 1 theme and no pics. Apparantly people do buy them though, GRRRR.

Yeah, the nimrod's keep paying, which is just lame.

Makes it tough to fight any type of cause, since this is just gaming in the end....ah well. :)Ā 

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SolidTy
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

With that $10, I'll just go reserve Bioshock and Mass Effect instead. Money much better spent.

WilliamRLBaker

comming from a person whos probly never made a map, its vastly harder to create maps for console then pc, and i personally applaud major for finally telling it, that most gamers really are whiney and want every thing for free, and for stating his opinion that a company that pushes for 512mbs of ram, gets millions upon millions spent on their game, and then says any after profit should instead be no profit, then they needa shut up.

Look, M$ as a company decided to put 512megs of RAM in the 360 in the end, NOT EPIC.

Blaming EPIC is just lame.

My friend made me buy this overpriced car, WHAAAAA!

No, they as a company decided to do it, and it is good they did so.

The MAP pricing and the 512 issue, are unrelated.

This is M$ we are talking about here, not SEGA. They want to charge for maps, fine, compromise, but don't point and blame that EPIC made us spend more on RAM, whaaaaaaaaa-mbulance!

Ā You're friggin' M$, take ownership here, and as far as the pricing?

Be more fair, $5 is just fine, and decent compromise between FREE and $10.

Either way, there is much bigger trend here than just his issue, Look at My other posts to see them, From GH2's 3 GH songs for the whopping overprice of $6.25 bundle packs, to Themes. Check it out.

Anyways, If I were M$, I wouldn't piss EPIC off....just sayin'.Ā 

SergeantSnitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SergeantSnitch
Member since 2007 • 3692 Posts
Wait...I don't understand what's going on.Ā  Who is this Major Nelson guy and why is he and Microsoft programmar talking smack?
TheJuggla17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -5

#29 TheJuggla17
Member since 2003 • 16307 Posts

I own the new maps and they are all terrible in comparison to the old maps, Mansion especially. Way overpriced and not good at all.

Ā 

TheJuggla17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheJuggla17

Wait...I don't understand what's going on.Ā  Who is this Major Nelson guy and why is he and Microsoft programmar talking smack?SergeantSnitch

Just a puppet. :)

BrooklynBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BrooklynBomber
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

WilliamRLBaker

First of all ms is the publisher of gears so of course they will spend money on the game as it's in their best interest to do so but they are not the owers of the ip so they should have no say in the price of dlc for gears. The dev epic that created the maps wanted to give away the maps for free so obviously they did all the work and decided that they would reward the gamers that supported their game with free maps.

However ms decided that other devs were charging for maps and would look bad if epic gave the maps to us for free. Gamers would start to question why they were paying for maps for other games when epic gives us free quality maps. Ms wants to condition gamers on live to pay for dlc and bullied epic into charging us for them (maps). Saps like you are why ms feels they can do stuff like this because you just open you wallet like a sucker when new content arrives. You are why ms is nickle and dimeing us for every little thing because people like you have proven you will pay no questions asked.

If people started to question the prices and practices on dlc then just like the horse armour for oblivion ms would lower prices and give people more value for their money. Then companies like EA would not try to rape us for things that used to be free but discovered hey they will pay us so why not do it. The market determines the value of dlc and right now it's a sellers market on live with no end in sight and it will most likely get worse. Devs will cut content from games to sell it to us later and say stuff like "gamers don't want to play long games".

It's time for gamers to take a stand and stop bending over and taking in the bum !!!

Ā 

DEMAND MORE NOT LESS FOR OUR MONEY WE PAY FOR LIVE, WE MAKE DEVS RICH, WE MADE GAMES MORE PROFITABLE THAN MOVIES AND MUSIC!!

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts

sounds like he put his foot in it....

who cares what he says anyway apart from fanatics....

edit:

TheJuggla17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheJuggla17

who cares what he says anyway apart from nerds..

daveg1

Nerds? You play games and post on a gaming forum. :|

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 daveg1
[QUOTE="daveg1"]

TheJuggla17

there are people who are interested in games and there are people who take things like this far too seriouse..ok maybe nerd was a bit strong......fanatic's Ā then..
TheJuggla17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheJuggla17
[QUOTE="TheJuggla17"][QUOTE="daveg1"]

daveg1

there are people who are interested in games and there are people who take things like this far too seriouse..ok maybe nerd was a bit strong......fanatic's Ā then..

Gaming is very serious business. :P

BrooklynBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BrooklynBomber
[QUOTE="TheJuggla17"][QUOTE="daveg1"]

daveg1

there are people who are interested in games and there are people who take things like this far too seriouse..ok maybe nerd was a bit strong......fanatic's then..

Most of the people here are hardcore gamers so they have a vested interest in what goes on. Casuals could care less as games are not their primary hobby. If you like something then of course it will matter to you, while others will think you are overreacting to a trivial matter. Prices on dlc are no big deal to a casual as most don't game onlie in the 1st place so this would have zero impact on them but to a hardcore gamer it's a serious matter because it directly affects the quality and price of our main hobby.

Just like the price of soda in a bar would not affect a person that does not go to bars.Ā 

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SolidTy
[QUOTE="daveg1"][QUOTE="TheJuggla17"][QUOTE="daveg1"]

BrooklynBomber

there are people who are interested in games and there are people who take things like this far too seriouse..ok maybe nerd was a bit strong......fanatic's then..

Most of the people here are hardcore gamers so they have a vested interest in what goes on. Casuals could care less as games are not their primary hobby. If you like something then of course it will matter to you, while others will think you are overreacting to a trivial matter. Prices on dlc are no big deal to a casual as most don't game onlie in the 1st place so this would have zero impact on them but to a hardcore gamer it's a serious matter because it directly affects the quality and price of our main hobby.

Just like the price of soda in a bar would not affect a person that does not go to bars.

You are making a lot of sense, you should be preaching in more forums.

I'm serious.

You are right, you got the speak down, and it needs to be said and heard.

Either way, good posts.Ā 

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 daveg1
[QUOTE="daveg1"][QUOTE="TheJuggla17"][QUOTE="daveg1"]

BrooklynBomber

Just like the price of soda in a bar would not affect a person that does not go to bars.Ā 

well i play games and have loved them for many year's and things like this doesnt Ā bother me as much as other things do..

i found the lies form sony to be a shocker and its much bigger stuff than what this guy says in his blog...some people find see things differently i guess..

Khansoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Khansoul
Member since 2004 • 4639 Posts
The Sony fanboys have had things 1000x worse said about their system and Sony in general I would not latch onto this for pwnage. Major Nelson said his opinion no biggie life will go on.
Supafly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Supafly1
Member since 2003 • 4441 Posts
Map packs should be free.
BrooklynBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BrooklynBomber
[QUOTE="BrooklynBomber"][QUOTE="daveg1"][QUOTE="TheJuggla17"][QUOTE="daveg1"]

SolidTy

Just like the price of soda in a bar would not affect a person that does not go to bars.

You are making a lot of sense, you should be preaching in more forums.

I'm serious.

You are right, you got the speak down, and it needs to be said and heard.

Either way, good posts.

Thanks but I fear console gamers are conditioned to just pay first without thinking. It's the vocal minority of hardcore gamers that got the horse armour prices dropped for everybody. If we can just open the eyes of a few gamers and let them educate others we would get more value for our money. You make some great points don't give up talking just because a few people are to brainwashed to think for themselves.

We determine the value of content not the devs. If we don't buy it at 10 bucks they will sell it for $5 and if it still does not sell they will give it away to keep gamers playing their games to ensure our loyalty to their product.

BrooklynBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BrooklynBomber
[QUOTE="BrooklynBomber"][QUOTE="daveg1"][QUOTE="TheJuggla17"][QUOTE="daveg1"]

daveg1

well i play games and have loved them for many year's and things like this doesnt bother me as much as other things do..

i found the lies form sony to be a shocker and its much bigger stuff than what this guy says in his blog...some people find see things differently i guess..

Major nelson is a employee on ms and is laughing at gamers being forced to pay for maps that epic wanted to give us for free. He's basically calling people that paid suckers and gamers who won't crybabies. Then making excuses about the technical hurdles and why ms feels we should pay. Well epic did all the testing and still wanted to give us the maps for free but ms stopped them. Why to mentally condition us to pay for dlc and to make other devs not appear greedy by asking for money for the same thing.

He then brings up the extra 256mb of ram ms put into the 360 to increase the quality of all 360 software like it's epics fault, even though the 2 topics are unrelated and epic is just a developer not the owner of the platform. They are laughing all the way to the bank at our expense. Obviously the maps could not be that expensive to produce if epic was giving them away but ms stepped in and said no we own the platform and you can't release the maps without our consent.

The only way ms would allow the maps to be on live is with a price tag, so epic had a choice. Either no maps for us or slap a price tag on it and get them out to us.Ā  Ā 

jdknight21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#43 jdknight21
Member since 2006 • 3282 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

comming from a person whos probly never made a map, its vastly harder to create maps for console then pc, and i personally applaud major for finally telling it, that most gamers really are whiney and want every thing for free, and for stating his opinion that a company that pushes for 512mbs of ram, gets millions upon millions spent on their game, and then says any after profit should instead be no profit, then they needa shut up.SolidTy

Look, M$ as a company decided to put 512megs of RAM in the 360 in the end, NOT EPIC.

Blaming EPIC is just lame.

My friend made me buy this overpriced car, WHAAAAA!

No, they as a company decided to do it, and it is good they did so.

The MAP pricing and the 512 issue, are unrelated.

This is M$ we are talking about here, not SEGA. They want to charge for maps, fine, compromise, but don't point and blame that EPIC made us spend more on RAM, whaaaaaaaaa-mbulance!

Ā You're friggin' M$, take ownership here, and as far as the pricing?

Be more fair, $5 is just fine, and decent compromise between FREE and $10.

Either way, there is much bigger trend here than just his issue, Look at My other posts to see them, From GH2's 3 GH songs for the whopping overprice of $6.25 bundle packs, to Themes. Check it out.

Anyways, If I were M$, I wouldn't piss EPIC off....just sayin'.Ā 

They are not blaming Epic for the RAM issue.Ā  I feel that some people are missing the point of what he said.Ā  He is saying that it isn't right for a company to take alot of credit for getting extra RAM put into a console and then turn around and say they shouldn't make any profit on the map packs for a game that they published.Ā  I actually don't have a problem with the price of the Gears maps or any MP maps that come out to $2.50 a map or less.Ā  I thought 5 maps for $10 in CoD2 was a great deal at the time.Ā  I'll be passing on the Gears map because of the community and no one on my friends list has played it since January.Ā  I think some people look at it as "I paid $60 for a game that isn't complete, so this stuff should be free (or way cheaper)" with too many games.Ā  In some cases they are right.Ā  Full games like Gears or CoD2 for example don't really deserve to be looked at in this light.Ā  I understand it is all a matter of opinion, but my opinion is that they are dev created maps people put work into, not user created maps made for fun.Ā  Your price point is different than mine, though, so that's understandable.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

Why would anybody care what major nelson has to say?

Fruity_Fantasy