Lost Odyssey to come on 3 disks??

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

demoralizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 demoralizer
Member since 2002 • 2023 Posts

next gen games shouldn't have more than one disk

Tnasty11

No next gen console should have the 200$ cheaper competition have better graphics in their games.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
HuusAsking i said next gen games  shouldn't have more than a one disk because we are past the ps1 and ps2 era'sTnasty11
So, what does that mean? We change discs more often changing games. What do you want now? Discless distribution so we don't have to ever change discs?
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

To those complaining about having to swap discs: It must equally annoy you that in order to play different games, you must *gasp*...SWAP DISKS! How DARE developers not put ALL their games on a single disk and make you go through the horrid strain of leg movement!? Oh, the humanity!

toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts
it could all fit on one noobray disc :narp:
cheatymcshifty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 cheatymcshifty
Member since 2004 • 718 Posts
[QUOTE="Corvin"]

Oh dear, I might have to change a disc after playing a game for a couple dozen hours. :cry:

You know what else sucks? Having to change the disc when I want to play a different game. Why must technology be so cruel? :cry:

demoralizer

lol good point.

Do you know how many great games have been on more then one disc?

RE4 on the GameCube is still one of the best games I have ever played, and in no way or form did swapping the disc one time hinder my experience. Also in the time it took me to finish the game I had to get up to swap many discs to play different games. Whats the big deal.

Lol, actually, I played both version, and once I got the ps2 version, changing discs on GC was annoying, but.. no "loading" text at the bottom of the screen every time I went to a new area is VERY preferable... just thought i'd mention that... not a big deal.. but.. it's there

(It could have somthing to do with me having gone through that game many times... and... fairly quickly.. not speed run.. but ... fast enough)

skbmassive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 skbmassive
Member since 2007 • 210 Posts
[QUOTE="skbmassive"][QUOTE="lordxymor"][QUOTE="dhjohns"][QUOTE="lordxymor"]

Using multiple disks instead of just one has more downsides than just getting up to change the disk periodicaly.

cheatymcshifty

Pray tell what could these "downsides" be? :roll:

One cost, using 3 discs is obviously more costly than just one. Even considering blu-ray costing more to make. Shipping and handling of those extra ounces, mupliplied by thousand or even millions of units will increase the costs.

Jugling multpitle discs also makes them more prune to scratches, and dvds are less relient than cds and much less resilient than bds. I'm very careful with my games, but still about 10-20% get scratched and about 5% become unplayable after a couple dozen uses.

Sandbox games, using multiple discs will will need a particulary lot of duplicated content and disc swaping or more limited 'explorable world' size.

Considering BD25 read speeds in the ps3 are the same as DVD9 in the 360, 9mb/s vs ~9.5mb/s respectively, there's no upside of dvd agaist blu-ray. Unless developers use DVD5 to have better reading speeds(~12mb/s), but that would escale the space constriction problem.

3 discs does not cost anything to produce. DVDs are cheap to produce and they do not weigh an ounce. Two disc comes up to 1.2 ounces and if you think that cost extra to ship then you are dead wrong. Blu ray discs do not have the same speed as DVDs and oblivion is an eg. They said they had trouble with the load times so they transerred the entire game to the Ps3 hard drive to cur load times. All the other games for ps3 that didn't do this have much longer load times. Fear, Fight night etc

Wait, did you really just say that more discs cost nothing to produce?

Even if blank dvd's cost, lets say 10 cents to the publisher (I duno.. I know there alot more than that too us, but i'm trying to be conservative so you lems dont say I over exaterated), thats 20 cents more a game (since there gonna have to pay for the first disc no matter what).

Say the game sells 1 million copies, thats $200,000 100% pure profit that the publisher misses out on.

Not to mention that pressing 3 discs undoubtably costs more than 1, and that yeah, when your shipping 1 mi.llion of somthing, the 1.2 ouces DOES add up, that is after all, 1.2million ouces, you think that costs nothing more to ship? (it's 75000 pounds btw...) If you think that 75000 pounds dosent add up to more shipping costs, your dead wrong.

Plus the case has to be slightly bigger...

These small things add up when your dealing with big numbers,

You think publishers wont push dev's to make 1 disc games? Which, potentially means cutting/downgrading.

More storage might not be NEEDED .. but it will certainly help make the best games possible, for us, the gamers... 

10 cents is way too high for a single disc. You think they buy these discs in a retail store? lol. I pay less than 5 cents per disc retail so I expect it to be less than 1 cents per disc for developers. These games ship via trucking service also so shipping is not an issue. What you thought they went through USPS? Sorry the additional 1 ounce is a non issue lol

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 HuusAsking

Using multiple disks instead of just one has more downsides than just getting up to change the disk periodicaly.

cheatymcshifty

One cost, using 3 discs is obviously more costly than just one. Even considering blu-ray costing more to make. Shipping and handling of those extra ounces, mupliplied by thousand or even millions of units will increase the costs.

Jugling multpitle discs also makes them more prune to scratches, and dvds are less relient than cds and much less resilient than bds. I'm very careful with my games, but still about 10-20% get scratched and about 5% become unplayable after a couple dozen uses.

Sandbox games, using multiple discs will will need a particulary lot of duplicated content and disc swaping or more limited 'explorable world' size.

Considering BD25 read speeds in the ps3 are the same as DVD9 in the 360, 9mb/s vs ~9.5mb/s respectively, there's no upside of dvd agaist blu-ray. Unless developers use DVD5 to have better reading speeds(~12mb/s), but that would escale the space constriction problem.

3 discs does not cost anything to produce. DVDs are cheap to produce and they do not weigh an ounce. Two disc comes up to 1.2 ounces and if you think that cost extra to ship then you are dead wrong. Blu ray discs do not have the same speed as DVDs and oblivion is an eg. They said they had trouble with the load times so they transerred the entire game to the Ps3 hard drive to cur load times. All the other games for ps3 that didn't do this have much longer load times. Fear, Fight night etc

Even if blank dvd's cost, lets say 10 cents to the publisher (I duno.. I know there alot more than that too us, but i'm trying to be conservative so you lems dont say I over exaterated), thats 20 cents more a game (since there gonna have to pay for the first disc no matter what).

Say the game sells 1 million copies, thats $200,000 100% pure profit that the publisher misses out on.

Not to mention that pressing 3 discs undoubtably costs more than 1, and that yeah, when your shipping 1 mi.llion of somthing, the 1.2 ouces DOES add up, that is after all, 1.2million ouces, you think that costs nothing more to ship? (it's 75000 pounds btw...) If you think that 75000 pounds dosent add up to more shipping costs, your dead wrong.

You think publishers wont push dev's to make 1 disc games? Which, potentially means cutting/downgrading.

More storage might not be NEEDED .. but it will certainly help make the best games possible, for us, the gamers... 

At this point in time, 2-3 DVD9s cost less to make than one single-layer BD25 (let's not even get into dual-layer BD50). And if adding $200K to your shipping costs means taking in an additional $1M in revenue because of a better product, then you would consider that money well spent. Square Enix barely batted an eye when they released FF7-9 on multiple CDs, didn't they? It was worth the price.

PS. You can hardcoat DVDs. It's just not as critical as it is for BDs whose shield layer is near-nonexistant. 

ShmenonPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58 ShmenonPie
Member since 2007 • 1117 Posts

What's the big deal? So a game is on multiple CDs, and you need to spend 7 secondes changing them? Haven't really good games been on multiple CDs? FF7, MGS, RE4...
I just take that as a sign of a big game, which is good.88Ghost89

No, RE4 was definitely on 1 disc... Or at least the best (PS2) version was... 

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#59 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

It's not a matter of changing disks you noobs, it's about cows proving Blu-ray is needed.miss_kitt3n

Okay, there are two games so far on the Xbox 360 that have spanned multiple discs. Let's compare that to the dozens of games already available for the Xbox 360. Boy, Blu Ray sure is needed. :roll:

When the average game begins to span multiple discs, then the "Blu Ray is needed" argument will hold water.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 HuusAsking

10 cents is way too high for a single disc. You think they buy these discs in a retail store? lol. I pay less than 5 cents per disc retail so I expect it to be less than 1 cents per disc for developers. These games ship via trucking service also so shipping is not an issue. What you thought they went through USPS? Sorry the additional 1 ounce is a non issue lol

skbmassive
They're talking about pressing costs, which takes into account creating master dies, pressing fees, and so on. As for shippers, even the big guys charge by weight. After all, their trucks and planes can only carry so much at a time.
demoralizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 demoralizer

cheatymcshifty

Hom many games on PS3 have taken advantage of the space of Blu-Ray? What if Devs don't use all the space?

If the Devs don't use all the space but still have the game on a pricey Blu-Ray. Thats money gone for no reason, atleast on multiple discs you getting something out of it. What a waste.

greg_splicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 greg_splicer
Member since 2007 • 2053 Posts

The game is 70 percent done, load times are being reduced and the game will have a fixed camera. Realism will be provided through "camera vibration and focus effects." What's more, magic attacks will be more powerful than physical attacks, proving that the wand is stronger than the fist. Gooch also adds that the game's theme is "humanity." This will be reflected in the score, which will differ from Mistwalker's first RPG, Blue Dragon. That entire game clocked in at three DVDs. Any takers on how many DVDs Lost Odyssey will be crammed onto? Three?

http://kotaku.com/gaming/does-japan-care%3F/lost-odyssey-70-percent-finito-258129.php 

lol..to bad for lemmings sayin dvds is enough....the ownage is just to strong.. 

elementz28
Hopefully on 5 DVD's, me as a collector LOVE to have 5 DVD's with 5 different prinyed labels on them !!!!
Gnr_Helsing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Gnr_Helsing
Member since 2004 • 1602 Posts
I dislike the 3 disc crap, but man am I excited for this game!
DanBal76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 DanBal76
Member since 2003 • 1950 Posts
I doesn't matter, i just want that game.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 HuusAsking
I dislike the 3 disc crap, but man am I excited for this game!Gnr_Helsing
Um...call me crazy, but this coming from someone whose avatar is itself from a multi-disc game?
cheatymcshifty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 cheatymcshifty
[QUOTE="cheatymcshifty"][QUOTE="skbmassive"][QUOTE="lordxymor"][QUOTE="dhjohns"][QUOTE="lordxymor"]

skbmassive

You pay less than 5 cents for blank DVD's huh? I'd like to know where that is... because the cheapest I could find them (on the internet) was 23 cents a disc for 8x read (that was about 3 minutes of research.. I could maybe find 20 c a disc?)

Hell, even if it's 5 cents, plus creation costs, even if it's 1 cent with creation costs...

thats all pure profit that the publisher is losing out on, if they can get a dev to cut a bit out of a game to make it 1 disc (or one disc less) you think they'll just say "We dont care about that 100,000 (or 50,00, 1 million, or wtf ever) that every cent of would be profit if the game was one disc less... I'm doubting that...

And if you really think that these shipping companies just wont count those extra 75,000 lbs, you should learn more about the shipping industry, even if you think that those extra lbs just.. dont count, then lets do this..

Say, they can fit 100 copies of the game in the boxes they use (arbitary number), with the slightly larger case size (which also adds more weight.. but that dosent matter, I forgot) Maybe they can only fit 98?

Thats 10,000 boxes for a million (exactly) selling game, and 10,204 boxes for a 3 disc game... everything costs money, especially when dealing with millions of (anything)...

It's why wal-mart puts companies out of business when they cant lower there prices 1 cent... 1 cent means alot in big business.. 

-voodoo_child-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 -voodoo_child-
Member since 2006 • 1648 Posts
I think it's less a point of swapping disks, and more a point of if games can't fit on one disk, will they be dumbed down to fit on? is it possible for games like GTA have multiple disks? ok, RPGs like this have a lot of cut scenes etc that take a lot of space, but if 3 disks are needed at this early stage of the console's life cycle, what will that mean for games in the future?
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 HuusAsking

You pay less than 5 cents for blank DVD's huh? I'd like to know where that is... because the cheapest I could find them (on the internet) was 23 cents a disc for 8x read (that was about 3 minutes of research.. I could maybe find 20 c a disc?)

Hell, even if it's 5 cents, plus creation costs, even if it's 1 cent with creation costs...

thats all pure profit that the publisher is losing out on, if they can get a dev to cut a bit out of a game to make it 1 disc (or one disc less) you think they'll just say "We dont care about that 100,000 (or 50,00, 1 million, or wtf ever) that every cent of would be profit if the game was one disc less... I'm doubting that...

And if you really think that these shipping companies just wont count those extra 75,000 lbs, you should learn more about the shipping industry, even if you think that those extra lbs just.. dont count, then lets do this..

Say, they can fit 100 copies of the game in the boxes they use (arbitary number), with the slightly larger case size (which also adds more weight.. but that dosent matter, I forgot) Maybe they can only fit 98?

Thats 10,000 boxes for a million (exactly) selling game, and 10,204 boxes for a 3 disc game... everything costs money, especially when dealing with millions of (anything)...

It's why wal-mart puts companies out of business when they cant lower there prices 1 cent... 1 cent means alot in big business.. 

cheatymcshifty
But like I said before, you have to factor in return on investment. If making the game two or three discs yields a better product that creates more revenue per disc than the cost of making and shipping those extra discs, then what do you think the company will do? After all, didn't Square make the same decisions when making FF7-9 on multiple discs?
RevenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 RevenMan
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts
You know what if the game is good il buy it even if it is on 10 dvds.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 HuusAsking
I think it's less a point of swapping disks, and more a point of if games can't fit on one disk, will they be dumbed down to fit on? is it possible for games like GTA have multiple disks? ok, RPGs like this have a lot of cut scenes etc that take a lot of space, but if 3 disks are needed at this early stage of the console's life cycle, what will that mean for games in the future?-voodoo_child-
FF7 was early in the PS1's cycle, too, but most PS1 games still fit on a single CD-ROM.
Avatar image for Hypnotize_Minds
Hypnotize_Minds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Hypnotize_Minds
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="88Ghost89"]What's the big deal? So a game is on multiple CDs, and you need to spend 7 secondes changing them? Haven't really good games been on multiple CDs? FF7, MGS, RE4...
I just take that as a sign of a big game, which is good.ShmenonPie

Not u're wrong RE 4 came on 2 dics for the gamecube and it was the best version for its graphics and controls. the ps2 version got more content. RE 4 GC ---> 9.6 RE4 PS2---> 9.3
verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#72 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

Cows are acting like the PS3 has a CD changer.....so what do you do when you want to play another game other  than what is already in your PS3? You stand up and swap it. o.o

Is that such a hard thing to do since you already do it when you want to play another game?

Anyways, I welcome Multiple CD games....makes my collection seem more visually pleasing lol

cheatymcshifty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 cheatymcshifty
[QUOTE="cheatymcshifty"]

HuusAsking

But like I said before, you have to factor in return on investment. If making the game two or three discs yields a better product that creates more revenue per disc than the cost of making and shipping those extra discs, then what do you think the company will do? After all, didn't Square make the same decisions when making FF7-9 on multiple discs?

But you think that if say, army of 2 takes up 10 GB of data, EA wont have the devs cut out 1 GB of content to save a bunch of money?

The square argument is a good one, I'll admit, and even though they're my favorite Devs, I'll admit that, say ff13 was 51 GB (I know, it wont be... but just for the sake of argument) they'd would probably cut somethings out to make it fit.

Not including that ONE minigame, that one cutsceen, and that small side-quest, would make it fit on one disc, it's not going to sell any less copies or anything, but it wont quite be what it coulda been... I think just about any publisher would do it.

With ff7-9, It had to be done, theres no way they could make those games one disc (or two, or 3 for 8 and 9) and still have the cohesive, well-rounded, fully featured game that they wanted it to be, at least, from my expirence with the games, thats my opinion.

demoralizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 demoralizer
[QUOTE="ShmenonPie"]

[QUOTE="88Ghost89"]What's the big deal? So a game is on multiple CDs, and you need to spend 7 secondes changing them? Haven't really good games been on multiple CDs? FF7, MGS, RE4...
I just take that as a sign of a big game, which is good.Hypnotize_Minds

Not u're wrong RE 4 came on 2 dics for the gamecube and it was the best version for its graphics and controls. the ps2 version got more content. RE 4 GC ---> 9.6 RE4 PS2---> 9.3

Exactly, I would rather swap discs and have the better game.

Avatar image for justforlotr2004
justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 justforlotr2004
Member since 2004 • 10935 Posts

The game is 70 percent done, load times are being reduced and the game will have a fixed camera. Realism will be provided through "camera vibration and focus effects." What's more, magic attacks will be more powerful than physical attacks, proving that the wand is stronger than the fist. Gooch also adds that the game's theme is "humanity." This will be reflected in the score, which will differ from Mistwalker's first RPG, Blue Dragon. That entire game clocked in at three DVDs. Any takers on how many DVDs Lost Odyssey will be crammed onto? Three?

http://kotaku.com/gaming/does-japan-care%3F/lost-odyssey-70-percent-finito-258129.php

elementz28

There is no ownage in JRPG's being multiple disc, the only time that it would be bad to have multiple disc's would be for a game like GTA where you have unlimited freedom of where you go. 

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 HuusAsking
[QUOTE="elementz28"]

justforlotr2004

There is no ownage in JRPG's being multiple disc, the only time that it would be bad to have multiple disc's would be for a game like GTA where you have unlimited freedom of where you go. 

Even in games like GTA there's a storyline. Even Oblivion had a storyline--a beginning and a desired end.