Lost Odyssey to come on 3 disks??

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

elementz28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 elementz28
Member since 2007 • 1829 Posts

The game is 70 percent done, load times are being reduced and the game will have a fixed camera. Realism will be provided through "camera vibration and focus effects." What's more, magic attacks will be more powerful than physical attacks, proving that the wand is stronger than the fist. Gooch also adds that the game's theme is "humanity." This will be reflected in the score, which will differ from Mistwalker's first RPG, Blue Dragon. That entire game clocked in at three DVDs. Any takers on how many DVDs Lost Odyssey will be crammed onto? Three?

http://kotaku.com/gaming/does-japan-care%3F/lost-odyssey-70-percent-finito-258129.php 

lol..to bad for lemmings sayin dvds is enough....the ownage is just to strong.. 

-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts

Probably three again. In any case, it only takes a minute to change a disc. Plus since Lost Odyssey will likely be about 60 hours long, it's no different from completing a normal length game and switching to a new one several times. People often seem to forget just how much is on each DVD.

88Ghost89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 88Ghost89
Member since 2004 • 1618 Posts
What's the big deal? So a game is on multiple CDs, and you need to spend 7 secondes changing them? Haven't really good games been on multiple CDs? FF7, MGS, RE4...
I just take that as a sign of a big game, which is good.
Ultimas_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ultimas_Blade
Member since 2004 • 3671 Posts

That game could be on 8 DVDs, and you know what? I'm gonna buy it.

Read my lips: SAKAGUCHI and UEMATSU!

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

The game is 70 percent done, load times are being reduced and the game will have a fixed camera. Realism will be provided through "camera vibration and focus effects." What's more, magic attacks will be more powerful than physical attacks, proving that the wand is stronger than the fist. Gooch also adds that the game's theme is "humanity." This will be reflected in the score, which will differ from Mistwalker's first RPG, Blue Dragon. That entire game clocked in at three DVDs. Any takers on how many DVDs Lost Odyssey will be crammed onto? Three?

http://kotaku.com/gaming/does-japan-care%3F/lost-odyssey-70-percent-finito-258129.php 

elementz28
Only if you admit FF7 was a failure. JRPGs are span-friendly, so this is no big deal. Besides, knowing Mistwalker, the main reason for the spanning is video clips. I'm myself gaguing the final count at three or four. Meanwhile, Oblivion and Mass Effect, both large WRPGS, are or will be on a single DVD9. "To each his own," they say.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
*sigh*

Oh noes... getting up off the thing I am sitting on to swap discs! My life is over! Teh degree of teh hardness!
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
I'd rather change a disc once every 20 hours than have to deal with blu-ray seek times.
Ultimas_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ultimas_Blade
Only if you admit FF7 was a failure. JRPGs are span-friendly, so this is no big deal. Besides, knowing Mistwalker, the main reason for the spanning is video clips. I'm myself gaguing the final count at three or four. Meanwhile, Oblivion and Mass Effect, both large WRPGS, are or will be on a single DVD9. "To each his own," they say.HuusAsking
Yeah TC, FFVII-IX was just sooooo horrible because we had to swap disks.
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts

That game could be on 8 DVDs, and you know what? I'm gonna buy it.

Read my lips: SAKAGUCHI and UEMATSU!

Ultimas_Blade
Agreed,and unless they just worded that article bad on IGN,I would think that Mistwalker only compressed the game enough to fit on 3 DVD's...instead of trying to make it fit on 1 or 2 discs.Note,they said "Blue Dragon uncompressed is just over 30Gigs!" A plenty of games uncompressed go over 30gb,and 3DVD9's=27gb,you can easily compress 30gb of game data down to 9gb.Maybe they compressed it to be on 3 full discs to save money,rater than 3 full discs and 1/4 of another,
lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

Using multiple disks instead of just one has more downsides than just getting up to change the disk periodicaly.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Using multiple disks instead of just one has more downsides than just getting up to change the disk periodicaly. lordxymor

Please, elaborate.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
and this is a problem why?
Ultimas_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ultimas_Blade

Bu bU bluray isnt needed! We have mikkey mouse softs unique compression methods.-Reggaeton-

What the heck do I need Blu-Rays for when i got 3 DVDs? Frisbees, that's what. 

arabi_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 arabi_89
Member since 2006 • 1299 Posts
bu bu but blu-ray is not needed... let them compression help here :D compress everything to fit it on 1 disk :lol: seriously the "blu-ray not needed"  threads are pawned! badly
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Who cares if I have to change a disc every 8 hours. Some of you guys are desperate for ownage these days. :|
djestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 djestar
Member since 2005 • 480 Posts

elementz28

You are clearly missing the point. The point is DVD is enough to make AAA games and is not obsolete. This is proven fact by AAA games such as GeOW etc.... not to mention DVD sales are way ahead of both BluRay and HD-DVD. So what if there are games that use up several DVDs it's clearly the developers choice. Besides I don't hear Sony fans complaining when they bought games which had multiple discs.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
Who cares if I have to change a disc every 8 hours. Some of you guys are desperate for ownage these day. :|BioShockOwnz
I agree it's not like your going to be playing for 8 hours straight sometimes I do but not all the time and I always change the Disc all the time just because I'm changing games after a while.
skbmassive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 skbmassive
Member since 2007 • 210 Posts

elementz28

Since when was changing disc a problem? I personally would rather pay less for a console and switch a disc than forced into adopting a movie format.

Corvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Corvin
Member since 2002 • 7266 Posts

Oh dear, I might have to change a disc after playing a game for a couple dozen hours. :cry:

You know what else sucks? Having to change the disc when I want to play a different game. Why must technology be so cruel? :cry:

-Reggaeton-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -Reggaeton-
Member since 2007 • 2392 Posts

Oh dear, I might have to change a disc after playing a game for a couple dozen hours. :cry:

You know what else sucks? Having to change the disc when I want to play a different game. Why must technology be so cruel? :cry:

Corvin

Damage controll. 

Lemmings have been ranting for a long time that games will stay on one DVD9. 

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
[QUOTE="Corvin"]

-Reggaeton-

Damage controll. 

Um no they haven't. We all knew since December that Blue Dragon is on 3 discs.

skbmassive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 skbmassive
[QUOTE="Corvin"]

-Reggaeton-

Damage controll. 

No one ever said that. Naturally huge games liek these with tons of FMV will require more space hence multiple disks. guess how many of them we get in a consoles life? not that many because they take years to make. So if you are saying Ms should have included an HD DVD or Blu ray player so 3-5 games could be on one disc and the consumer pays $600+ for it then OK.

dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dhjohns
Member since 2003 • 5105 Posts

Using multiple disks instead of just one has more downsides than just getting up to change the disk periodicaly.

lordxymor

Pray tell what could these "downsides" be? :roll: 

skbmassive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 skbmassive
[QUOTE="lordxymor"]

dhjohns

Define periodically. If you consider changing the disk after about 10 - 20+ hours of play as a problem then you are lazy. After you switch disc i doubt you will ever need to go back to the other disc unless you play it over.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
[QUOTE="dhjohns"][QUOTE="lordxymor"]

skbmassive

Define periodically. If you consider changing the disk after about 10 - 20+ hours of play as a problem then you are lazy. After you switch disc i doubt you will ever need to go back to the other disc unless you play it over.

Precisely.  If perhaps it was Gears of War on three discs, then I would see cause for complaint.  But considering the length of JRPG's, I will probably switch game discs to different games much more often than switching to another disc of the same game.

alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 alfy13
Member since 2004 • 3600 Posts
[QUOTE="Corvin"]

-Reggaeton-

Damage controll. 

even though it is not a big deal if games for my 360 will be multiplees. but i do find your comment about lemmings saying that games will stay on the one dvd 9 , to be funny .
FearlessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FearlessSpirit
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts

I for one think this is lame. Three DVD's? I mean, it may not be much of a problem switching a disc every 20 hours; or in real life when you get to that point probably a day or 5, but still. I would have to click the Eject button, switch the disc after 5 days and 5 days later I would have to do the same thing again. That's not very next gen. It totally kills every bit of fun the game might hold.

Cows were right all along, I think. It's better to just have games that would fit on one DVD9, then throw them full with CGI cutscenes so we'd have an excuse to claim bigger storage is needed. I actually rather have Blu Ray now. Cause like I said before, if after 5 days I have to switch a disc once, every bit of fun I had with any game is totally over and the game can't be fun anymore.

Then again, the avarage gamer switches between games every day a couple of times, so you're disc swapping then too aren't you? So maybe everything I just said was negated by simple logic...

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#29 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

multiple discs is worse.  In rpgs it can be fine, since those games are usually pretty linear in that you wouldn't want to go back to early areas.  It worked fine for the psone.  Where the 360 loses out is that it will NEVER the edge that the n64 had over the psone.  By that I mean the 360s large games will have to be linear or very short.  You cant have this gen's sm64 or OoT on a platform where you have to change discs.  Those games are just too open, with lots of overlap to early areas and almost everything is in-game.  Rest assured that sony will make games that take advantage of bluray's storage space. 

miss_kitt3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 miss_kitt3n
Member since 2006 • 2717 Posts

What's the big deal? So a game is on multiple CDs, and you need to spend 7 secondes changing them? Haven't really good games been on multiple CDs? FF7, MGS, RE4...
I just take that as a sign of a big game, which is good.88Ghost89

I have never finished MGS1 cause I lost disk2 :cry: 

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Eltroz
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts
I think some of you need to excercise if you think changing a disc that is 4-8 feet from you is to much work. Plus it is a RPG so it would prolly only be changed like one every 20 hours. Heck lair's whole game is less then that. On the 1up show when they were talking about Blue Dragon the guy said he was on his 10th hour and still playing first disc and still had not done barely any of the map he was on.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
I think some of you need to excercise if you think changing a disc that is 4-8 feet from you is to much work. Plus it is a RPG so it would prolly only be changed like one every 20 hours. Heck lair's whole game is less then that. On the 1up show when they were talking about Blue Dragon the guy said he was on his 10th hour and still playing first disc and still had not done barely any of the map he was on. Eltroz
I sit right next to the tv when I play videogames in my Living Room so changing Disc is not a problem but when I'm in my room I have to jump off my bed which is 6 feet off the ground then change the disc then climb back up, but my 360 is not in that room that is the room I have the Wii in.
FearlessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FearlessSpirit
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts

multiple discs is worse. In rpgs it can be fine, since those games are usually pretty linear in that you wouldn't want to go back to early areas. It worked fine for the psone. Where the 360 loses out is that it will NEVER the edge that the n64 had over the psone. By that I mean the 360s large games will have to be linear or very short. You cant have this gen's sm64 or OoT on a platform where you have to change discs. Those games are just too open, with lots of overlap to early areas and almost everything is in-game. Rest assured that sony will make games that take advantage of bluray's storage space.

GunSmith1_basic

I'm pretty sure taking out CGI cutscenes clears up huge storage space in a game. GTA has never had GCI cutscenes and most likely never will, if that's a game you are aiming for. We probably don't have to worry about it being on multiple discs. If so, it will be like this; Disc one contains the world and set rules and half of the missions, Disc two will contain the world and set rules and the other half of the missions. Seriously, it's not that big a deal to change a disc. If you are a normal gamer you do it a couple of times every day almost anyway.

GsSanAndreas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GsSanAndreas
Member since 2004 • 3075 Posts
DVD FTL
purplemidgets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 purplemidgets
Member since 2002 • 3103 Posts

The thing about multiple discs is that, unless the developer repeats data onto the new disc, you aren't able to see or access that previous data.

For example, in a GTA game. If the game is one disc,  the entire world is seamless. You can see a building in the distance, and it's the same building you would see if you got close to it. If the game was split up on multiple discs, the developer might have to fool you by including a lower ploygon replica of that building until you reach the point where you have to put in the new disc. At which point the building is replaced with the real thing.

In open world games, multiple dsics just isn't logical. In a more linear game it doesn't matter much. But the problem of repeating data still remains, but it's not as big of a problem. 

lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts
[QUOTE="lordxymor"]

dhjohns

One cost, using 3 discs is obviously more costly than just one. Even considering blu-ray costing more to make. Shipping and handling of those extra ounces, mupliplied by thousand or even millions of units will increase the costs.

Jugling multpitle discs also makes them more prune to scratches, and dvds are less relient than cds and much less resilient than bds. I'm very careful with my games, but still about 10-20% get scratched and about 5% become unplayable after a couple dozen uses.

Sandbox games, using multiple discs will will need a particulary lot of duplicated content and disc swaping or more limited 'explorable world' size.

Considering BD25 read speeds in the ps3 are the same as DVD9 in the 360, 9mb/s vs ~9.5mb/s respectively, there's no upside of dvd agaist blu-ray. Unless developers use DVD5 to have better reading speeds(~12mb/s), but that would escale the space constriction problem.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts

elementz28

If ownage means I have to get up and change a disc 3 times in a 70hour game, then yes, I've been owned. Damn, you got me.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#38 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]

multiple discs is worse. In rpgs it can be fine, since those games are usually pretty linear in that you wouldn't want to go back to early areas. It worked fine for the psone. Where the 360 loses out is that it will NEVER the edge that the n64 had over the psone. By that I mean the 360s large games will have to be linear or very short. You cant have this gen's sm64 or OoT on a platform where you have to change discs. Those games are just too open, with lots of overlap to early areas and almost everything is in-game. Rest assured that sony will make games that take advantage of bluray's storage space.

FearlessSpirit

I'm pretty sure taking out CGI cutscenes clears up huge storage space in a game. GTA has never had GCI cutscenes and most likely never will, if that's a game you are aiming for. We probably don't have to worry about it being on multiple discs. If so, it will be like this; Disc one contains the world and set rules and half of the missions, Disc two will contain the world and set rules and the other half of the missions. Seriously, it's not that big a deal to change a disc. If you are a normal gamer you do it a couple of times every day almost anyway.

isn't what you just suggested two worlds and two different sets of missions, so in a sense two games that happen to be connected to each other?  I'm talking about one massive, unified game where you can go truly to any place you've unlocked at any time.  If you put a border up where the next disc starts, a lot of people wouldn't cross it if they were just exploring or just messing around.  by the end of the console war, some dev will make the game im sure.

miss_kitt3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 miss_kitt3n
Member since 2006 • 2717 Posts
It's not a matter of changing disks you noobs, it's about cows proving Blu-ray is needed.
skbmassive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 skbmassive
[QUOTE="dhjohns"][QUOTE="lordxymor"]

lordxymor

One cost, using 3 discs is obviously more costly than just one. Even considering blu-ray costing more to make. Shipping and handling of those extra ounces, mupliplied by thousand or even millions of units will increase the costs.

Jugling multpitle discs also makes them more prune to scratches, and dvds are less relient than cds and much less resilient than bds. I'm very careful with my games, but still about 10-20% get scratched and about 5% become unplayable after a couple dozen uses.

Sandbox games, using multiple discs will will need a particulary lot of duplicated content and disc swaping or more limited 'explorable world' size.

Considering BD25 read speeds in the ps3 are the same as DVD9 in the 360, 9mb/s vs ~9.5mb/s respectively, there's no upside of dvd agaist blu-ray. Unless developers use DVD5 to have better reading speeds(~12mb/s), but that would escale the space constriction problem.

3 discs does not cost anything to produce. DVDs are cheap to produce and they do not weigh an ounce. Two disc comes up to 1.2 ounces and if you think that cost extra to ship then you are dead wrong. Blu ray discs do not have the same speed as DVDs and oblivion is an eg. They said they had trouble with the load times so they transerred the entire game to the Ps3 hard drive to cur load times. All the other games for ps3 that didn't do this have much longer load times. Fear, Fight night etc

e20Dylan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 e20Dylan
Member since 2007 • 1055 Posts
just goes to show another way the 360 is limited.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HuusAsking

The thing about multiple discs is that, unless the developer repeats data onto the new disc, you aren't able to see or access that previous data.

For example, in a GTA game. If the game is one disc,  the entire world is seamless. You can see a building in the distance, and it's the same building you would see if you got close to it. If the game was split up on multiple discs, the developer might have to fool you by including a lower ploygon replica of that building until you reach the point where you have to put in the new disc. At which point the building is replaced with the real thing.

In open world games, multiple dsics just isn't logical. In a more linear game it doesn't matter much. But the problem of repeating data still remains, but it's not as big of a problem. 

purplemidgets

I doubt that's going to be an issue. You see, both consoles have another limit: the RAM. At 512MB, there's going to be a limit to your sandbox, especially if the sandbox can go multiplayer (GTA4 is supposed to have multiplayer components), which means you must have the entire sandbox accessible in RAM simultaneously since there's no predicting what's going to happen where (that's why Lair has no multiplayer--an entire level's map isn't in RAM at once).

Besides, FF7-9 each had fully-explorable worlds and multiple discs (modified on each disc as needed for story-related events). It's merely the story parts that are unique to each disc.

Tnasty11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Tnasty11
Member since 2005 • 4497 Posts

next gen games shouldn't have more than one disk

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HuusAsking

next gen games shouldn't have more than one disk

Tnasty11
Why not? What's the big deal? There were multi-disc PS1 games and multi-disc PS2 games?
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
Don't know, and I sure as hell don't care. I had no problem whatsoever swapping discs with my Playstation, thank you very much.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

just goes to show another way the 360 is limited.e20Dylan

Funny how 'limited' consoles like the Wii and 360 are stomping the PS3 into the seventh circle of hell,isn't it?

Tnasty11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Tnasty11
Member since 2005 • 4497 Posts
HuusAsking i said next gen games  shouldn't have more than a one disk because we are past the ps1 and ps2 era's
demoralizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 demoralizer
Member since 2002 • 2023 Posts

Corvin

lol good point.

Do you know how many great games have been on more then one disc?

RE4 on the GameCube is still one of the best games I have ever played, and in no way or form did swapping the disc one time hinder my experience. Also in the time it took me to finish the game I had to get up to swap many discs to play different games. Whats the big deal.

wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 wklzip
Member since 2005 • 13925 Posts

Corvin

LMAO! 

cheatymcshifty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cheatymcshifty
Member since 2004 • 718 Posts
[QUOTE="lordxymor"][QUOTE="dhjohns"][QUOTE="lordxymor"]

skbmassive

3 discs does not cost anything to produce. DVDs are cheap to produce and they do not weigh an ounce. Two disc comes up to 1.2 ounces and if you think that cost extra to ship then you are dead wrong. Blu ray discs do not have the same speed as DVDs and oblivion is an eg. They said they had trouble with the load times so they transerred the entire game to the Ps3 hard drive to cur load times. All the other games for ps3 that didn't do this have much longer load times. Fear, Fight night etc

Wait, did you really just say that more discs cost nothing to produce?

Even if blank dvd's cost, lets say 10 cents to the publisher (I duno.. I know there alot more than that too us, but i'm trying to be conservative so you lems dont say I over exaterated), thats 20 cents more a game (since there gonna have to pay for the first disc no matter what).

Say the game sells 1 million copies, thats $200,000 100% pure profit that the publisher misses out on.

Not to mention that pressing 3 discs undoubtably costs more than 1, and that yeah, when your shipping 1 mi.llion of somthing, the 1.2 ouces DOES add up, that is after all, 1.2million ouces, you think that costs nothing more to ship? (it's 75000 pounds btw...) If you think that 75000 pounds dosent add up to more shipping costs, your dead wrong.

Plus the case has to be slightly bigger...

These small things add up when your dealing with big numbers,

You think publishers wont push dev's to make 1 disc games? Which, potentially means cutting/downgrading.

More storage might not be NEEDED .. but it will certainly help make the best games possible, for us, the gamers...Â