Lords of the Fallen devs sign a deal with MS-4 games coming

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Now that doesn't mean they're becoming their internal studio nor even a 2nd party one, but they have struck a partnership deal under the ID@Xbox program, which probably means their games will first appear on the Xbone (and since PC has now become a part of ID@Xbox then maybe that too) and the rest is up to the devs but it may be actually the case they won't appear anywhere else.

Anyway, this article says that Deck 13, one of the two studios (the other one being a Polish CI Games) responsible for Lords of the Fallen, a decent game I actually enjoyed but it wasn't spectacular, is working on 4 new titles for Xbox One (and only mentions this platform). One of them is "a hardcore RPG". Their whole lineup is believed to be revealed during E3 with one of these games coming quite soon and being showcased there.

Deck 13 are creators of Lords of the Fallen engine to which they have full rights. They don't hold the rights for Lords of the Fallen name as an IP, though, but that won't stop them from making a similar game.

Me, personally, I'm moderately excited but I do hope Microsoft will take a better use of this deal and have their own exclusive RPG since I even wanted to create a thread about Microsoft lacking an exclusive RPG.

Sauce:

http://www.worldsfactory.net/2015/04/29/deck13-becomes-official-xbox-publisher-four-titles-coming-to-xb1

P.S. Yes, I created a thread about it yesterday (or some hours ago depending on your timezone) but I took it down since I initially got it from a source which was under a misapprehension & mistranslated things and I have since obtained more detailed information not to misinform you. That's how much I care about you!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

This is very good news. By all accounts, Lords of the Fallen was good, if rough, and Microsoft nabbing them is something I can appreciate.

Question about this statement:

Me, personally, I'm moderately excited but I do hope Microsoft will take a better use of this deal and have their own exclusive RPG since I even wanted to create a thread about Microsoft lacking an exclusive RPG.

What about Fable? Actually, since you are an Xbox fan, might as well ask you- what do you think of Fable? Which is your favorite one? Do you want to see the series continue?

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

looks like microsoft is about to get their own bloodborne

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

Lords of the Fallen was a'ight. It's tough going to that from a Souls game.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Salt_The_Fries

@charizard1605: Funny you ask. While I highly anticipate Fable Legends, I don't consider it a proper RPG. As regards Fable series as a whole, I've only seen a bit of Fable 1 on PC over 10 years ago and dabbled with Fable 2 on 360 in 2008 for a few hours (ofc never finished the game), however I remembered this period of time and Fable 2 very fondly so last year I bought the GOTY edition and boy was it one of the best games of last generation. Better than any 2014 X1/PS4 games. I'd like the main series to continue in a meaningful way but I'm ready to embrace the change with Legends since it looks gorgeous and I love the concept.

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

Smart move by MS.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Response to bloodborne? Don't think it will help

How many of their games do you think will come to PC?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

cool, I actually really liked Lords of the Fallen

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Deck13 Interactive doesn't make any games I like and they certainly haven't set the critics on fire.

Metascores:

42/100 http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/venetica

69/100 http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/transocean-the-shipping-company

71/100 Lords Fallen http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/lords-of-the-fallen

43/100 Blood Knights http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/blood-knights

69/100 Jack Keane http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/jack-keane

...and quite a few other games that were so under the radar they weren't even reviewed, but users gave them 5/10 averages.

Truth is, Deck13 are a middling, barely average developer. I wouldn't put any HYPE or stock in their next project, but I wish them the best.

If I'm lucky, they break the mold, pull off the impossible, design a fantastic game seemingly out of nowhere, and I'll even buy it. That's a loooong shot.

Nothing about this news excites me and I'm not shocked that once again M$ is digging around for cheaper, lower tier developers to pump things out. That said, I'm happy they put forth a dime towards developing something at least. I hope whatever comes of this deal is worth a damn because that means I'll buy it and I would LOVE to buy and play great games. I'm just skeptical because these guys have been around since 2001 and not once of their games I have enjoyed, and a few of these I tried to give them a shot. They are low rent for a reason.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Salt_The_Fries

@SolidTy: There's so much more to gaming than just numbers. And on that note I rate your attitude a 0.1/10.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SolidTy

@Salt_The_Fries: True (although one might argue "binary = gaming, therefore gaming is just exactly numbers" with you. :P). I also spoke of my experience with their games. I'm just not a fan, but as I said, I wish them the best, because that means more great games for gamers which is what I want. I just wouldn't recommend anyone be too quick with excitement considering their track record since 2001, or my experience with their games.

As far as my attitude, that may be an almost fair assessment. I would actually say I'm in the 2-4 range/10, because I can see some butthurt uber fanboys coming in a thread like this and just cursing up a storm for no good reason, trolling like crazy with no facts, and I think those types deserve the 1/10 and lower if you ask me.

It's not like I said,

"4 timed exclusive indie turds from a wack studio INCOMING!!! Hit the DECK!!! (13)"

Plus, I am legitimately hopeful the game is good. I would love an excellent title to buy and play. :P

I'm reluctant based on my history with the developer and the critics history with the dev and the users history with the dev, but let's hope Deck 13 put out a nigh improbable amazing indie game on their next go round.

pizzaforman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pizzaforman
Member since 2015 • 28 Posts

Deck13? They were not a producer of "Lords of the Fallen". LOTF i sa game produced by polish CI Games and if you will read interviews you can find that the main work (creative ideas) was on the CI Games side. It's just making me sinck when i see this titles "LOTF devs" or "LOTF producer".

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#13 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Now this is news. Not just another stupid sales war thread

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Lords of the Fallen was about 2/10th of what a Souls game is. So good luck.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Lords of the Fallen was a beautiful, if rough draft. Could have been better than it was but it was a really nice effort. I suspect a sequel may improve. Not in the same league as From Software but you don't beat the master on your first go. You mostly don't ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

@remiks00 said:

Now this is news. Not just another stupid sales war thread

Yes it is, he knew we can actually have real game discussion in here beyond the sale resolution, game sales, blah blah blah topics over and over again. But anyway, it's good for MS to add to their first party companies. We might hear more about it at E3 which I'm looking forward too.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

I wish they would go back to making adventure games. This is what they're best at. But I guess with Xbox One focus that won't happen :(

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy: There's so much more to gaming than just numbers. And on that note I rate your attitude a 0.1/10.

Well it does make sense to look at their history of games.

Metacritic is probably the best way to judge a studio's output over time - and of course financials are important too (i.e. if the games made any money).

These guys probably agreed to a contract for a relatively low budget, so it's not surprising. The only thing odd is why MS would want to commit to 4 games from a developer with such mediocre history, but maybe not all of those are AAA budget committments.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: Good news for XB1. LotF was a solid game.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StormyJoe

@SolidTy: FromSoftware has it's fair share of flops...

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Good to see them pursuing exclusives, although I'm guessing games will be on PC too.

ImBatman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ImBatman-
Member since 2013 • 1279 Posts

This thread is very misleading. Deck13 was given the right to self-publish indie games on the Xbox One. They are publishing 4 indie titles on the Xbox One, not developing exclusive games. It should be noted that Deck13 doesn't own the LotF IP either.

Here are the 4 games:

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I can't bring myself to care, if they churn out some quality independent projects that's dope. Otherwise Lord of the Fallen gives you the impression that they don't actually have a creative idea of their own, so I don't know how well they would hold their own in a downloadable 20 dollar game. That entire space is built on nostalgia and all that jazz, but it's also responsible for the most creative games of the last 5 years. Personally think Microsoft should be looking to work with better talent.

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 slim70
Member since 2005 • 768 Posts

@StormyJoe said:

Sony has no weaknesses and does no wrong.

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

This is the response to From getting in bed with Sony? Cool I guess. Lords wasn't a terrible game, not great either. Maybe they could do something with a bigger budget and outsourcing.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

There are better guys out there than them. I can only assume this will be an exclusive action RPG for Xbox and they aren't touching Bloodborne with Deck 13. Just pay for the big guns. You have the money MS.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

I haven't cared about their games either, but maybe with some MS money and help they can put out some good games. Bungie was a million times better of a studio with MS then without them. 343i has already passed bungie as a better studio. epic was falling when they left gears. judgement was extremely average. Insomniac made their best game under an agreement with MS. The only studio that didn't massively improve under MS was rare, they just went to shit after leaving nintendo.

Shibua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shibua
Member since 2014 • 467 Posts

Lords of the fallen is a poor mans Dark Souls, I'll wait for Dark Souls 3 on X1 and continue with Bloodborne on PS4

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SolidTy

@StormyJoe: Yep. So has Capcom, Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Activision, Ubisoft, Rare, etc.

Who's talking about From Software? That's a strange Strawman assertion.

Anyways, back on topic about Deck13, these guys are far below average and I said all I need to say about that. Hope for the best, but prepared for the worst.

@SolidTy said:

Deck13 Interactive doesn't make any games I like and they certainly haven't set the critics on fire.

Metascores:

...and quite a few other games that were so under the radar they weren't even reviewed, but users gave them 5/10 averages.

Truth is, Deck13 are a middling, barely average developer. I wouldn't put any HYPE or stock in their next project, but I wish them the best.

If I'm lucky, they break the mold, pull off the impossible, design a fantastic game seemingly out of nowhere, and I'll even buy it. That's a loooong shot.

Nothing about this news excites me and I'm not shocked that once again M$ is digging around for cheaper, lower tier developers to pump things out. That said, I'm happy they put forth a dime towards developing something at least. I hope whatever comes of this deal is worth a damn because that means I'll buy it and I would LOVE to buy and play great games. I'm just skeptical because these guys have been around since 2001 and not once of their games I have enjoyed, and a few of these I tried to give them a shot. They are low rent for a reason.

slim70 said:
@StormyJoe said:

Sony has no weaknesses and does no wrong.

You lems are really strange breed. This tangent comment has nothing to do with anything I said. Sony has tons of problems and makes mistakes all the time, as does Nintendo, Sega, SquareEnix, Capcom, EA, etc. I could list Sony's mistakes in this Deck13 thread but that's not the point of this thread nor does anything you two are talking about (From / Sony) have ANYTHING to do with my post in this thread. I spoke about DECK13. That's it. It's not that hard to try to read and comment on Deck13.

You two came in this thread and started talking about strange things that I was never discussing.

Why is it fanboys come in a thread about DECK13, see comments about DECK13, see facts about DECK13's history provided by moi, read I do hope DECK13 does well, and think, "I'm gonna reply to that user and bring up completely different companies, From and Sony!!!" What are you two smoking?

It's very juvenile and odd behavior. What about Deck13 did I write that you want to discuss?

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

Lords of the Fallen was disgustingly slow and clunky. Glad I don't have to care about this.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SolidTy

@2Chalupas said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Well it does make sense to look at their history of games.

Metacritic is probably the best way to judge a studio's output over time - and of course financials are important too (i.e. if the games made any money).

These guys probably agreed to a contract for a relatively low budget, so it's not surprising. The only thing odd is why MS would want to commit to 4 games from a developer with such mediocre history, but maybe not all of those are AAA budget committments.

Great points. :)

@ImBatman- said:

This thread is very misleading.

Deck13 was given the right to self-publish indie games on the Xbox One. They are publishing 4 indie titles on the Xbox One, not developing exclusive games.

It should be noted that Deck13 doesn't own the LotF IP either.

Here are the 4 games:

Interesting, thank you.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 StormyJoe

@SolidTy: Bloodborne, and the Demon's Souls games, are from From Software.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

Looking at their history, I hope MS didn't pay them cause damn that'd be a waste.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SolidTy

@StormyJoe: Yes, I know. I never brought up From. Read my post again for the third time, it's about Deck13. You randomly brought up From Software and I'm not discussing From or whatever. Quote someone who is talking about From, because it's certainly not me.

The added observation that companies make bad games, which include From, doesn't make a difference. I'm not discussing lows but highs as well. Deck13s highs are pathetically low.

@SolidTy said:

Metascores:

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

From what i've heard it's not a very good game. A poor mans dark souls.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@SexyJazzCat said:

From what i've heard it's not a very good game. A poor mans dark souls.

Damage control already. That didn't take long. lol!!

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Salt_The_Fries

@ImBatman- said:

This thread is very misleading. Deck13 was given the right to self-publish indie games on the Xbox One. They are publishing 4 indie titles on the Xbox One, not developing exclusive games. It should be noted that Deck13 doesn't own the LotF IP either.

Here are the 4 games:

It's not misleading in the slightest. Have you even read this thread? I've already said about it in the OP - that they're not becoming their 1st nor 2nd party. I've also covered the point of Deck13 not owning the rights to Lords of the Fallen IP, they however created its engine, and I said so in the OP as well...

And @SolidTy applauded you for real?

This PLACE IS RIDICULOUS

PEOPLE

DON'T

READ

THEN

RANDOM

UNINFORMED

BULLSHIT

ImBatman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ImBatman-
Member since 2013 • 1279 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: Your thread says that Deck13 is working on 4 new titles for the Xbox One, which is flat out wrong. They are publishing 4 indie games, the pictures from my previous post shows those 4 games.

At the same time, they're working on a "core" title that's being published by Focus Home Interactive, unrelated to Microsoft.

For clarification, they are publishing indie games in partnership with ID@Xbox, not developing Xbox One exclusives. The "core" game they're actually developing is a multiplat published by Focus Home Interactive.

Whoever wrote that article you posted assumed 4 games we're being developed by Deck13, and that the core game was one of the 4 titles for Xbox One, but they updated the article with the 4 indie titles. The article itself was misleading.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

The game has a worse meta-score than Driveclub and lemmings are hyped?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Taking note of every Lem in this thread saying "Please be excited" who has ever called the PS4 "Indiestation"..

Planning on reaming you with it at a later time of choosing. Tick tock, bitches.

BlueEyedCasva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BlueEyedCasva
Member since 2015 • 599 Posts

Don't get too excited

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

@blackace: What do you mean? I'm just saying from peoples experience with the game it's pretty lackluster.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 StormyJoe

@SolidTy: Your point is "Don't get excited, Deck13 hasn't done anything". My counter is "From Software had a lot of mediocre titles, too - but then they made Demon's Souls."

So, you can't just dismiss Deck13.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 StormyJoe

@Shewgenja said:

Taking note of every Lem in this thread saying "Please be excited" who has ever called the PS4 "Indiestation"..

Planning on reaming you with it at a later time of choosing. Tick tock, bitches.

It's not "please be excited", it's more "screw you and your skepticism." Lots of cows in this thread trying to downplay and discredit.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Sony Fan prove this over, and over , and over again.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Mang, seems MS is dishing out heaps of salt to go with all the jelly, just wow. :P

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@darkangel115 said:

I haven't cared about their games either, but maybe with some MS money and help they can put out some good games. Bungie was a million times better of a studio with MS then without them. 343i has already passed bungie as a better studio. epic was falling when they left gears. judgement was extremely average. Insomniac made their best game under an agreement with MS. The only studio that didn't massively improve under MS was rare, they just went to shit after leaving nintendo.

Those two bolded statements are messed up. Disturbing stuff, it really is.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Great, maybe lems will now have a bad copy of bloodborne.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@bobrossperm said:
@darkangel115 said:

Those two bolded statements are messed up. Disturbing stuff, it really is.

whats disturbing? bungie now is what rare is. a former shell of itself. they went from creating one of the best series in gaming with a huge story and lore and characters people love, to destiny a crappy run of the mill FPS. Bungie is only bungie in name, a lot of people didn't leave, they stayed and created 343i. Same way respawn surpassed infinity ward. Halo 4 kicks the crap out of destiny. Halo is much better in the hands of 343 then bungie at this point. anyone who played destiny should know this.

As far as insomniac, fuse was a huge swing and a miss, ratchet and clank is ok but nothing compared to sunset overdrive. You could argue they are just getting better with experience but that wouldn't explain fuse.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Fairmonkey  Online
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

Lems excited for Indies now? Who would have thought? :P