Lighting Return: Final Fantasy release date announced!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#151 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
Why is square so adamant about us liking lightning? please move on, we dont like her.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

IS the combat going to be horrible again? I absolutely hated the autobattle, switching style whatever it was. Just Make a normal FF battle system please..

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#153 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts
Why is square so adamant about us liking lightning? please move on, we dont like her.II_Seraphim_II
I think she's the worst and least memorable protagonist in a FF game.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#154 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]Why is square so adamant about us liking lightning? please move on, we dont like her.fend_oblivion

I think her character design (at least in the first one) was good although personality wise, she was probably as annoying as Squall.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]Why is square so adamant about us liking lightning? please move on, we dont like her.fend_oblivion

Vaan exists.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#157 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

IS the combat going to be horrible again? I absolutely hated the autobattle, switching style whatever it was. Just Make a normal FF battle system please..

VendettaRed07

didint the old games had auto attack?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="fend_oblivion"] I think she's the worst and least memorable protagonist in a FF game. Desmonic

Vaan exists.

Lightning is alright IMO. Her and Sazh are the only 2 decent characters in FF13. Having that said, from the FF's I've played I never felt any of the main characters were that great... maybe Zack from Crisis Core? He seemed to be a bit less over dramatic... TBH Sora from the KH series is the only character I like from SE main franchises (that I've played). And that's not saying much. He just happens to be a fun/amusing character when the story isn't at the peak of it's drama. Other than that, not that different from most FF characters.

I like Cloud, Zack, and Zidane. Tidus doesn't annoy me all that much, either.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#160 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Why is square so adamant about us liking lightning? please move on, we dont like her.II_Seraphim_II

You know what, in this game Iwant Lightning to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. And when she's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Lightning?"

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

I feel like i'm one of the very few who just seem to have a wider enjoyment of games...

I will be picking this up, but I also loved Skyrim, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Tales and so forth. All you guys bicker about some of the dumbest things. Everyone complains about FFXIII, while not being the best FF, but in reality there is no best FF. To me its X, to the guy down the road its VII, to the person in another state its V, and so forth. Thats whats great about FF, they appeal to so many different people, and each person is gonna have a personal favorite. The difference is, is that I seem to enjoy all of them

Not that you guys are completely in the wrong, I do wish myself that they would go back and do a traditional FF title where I can control all three members in turn based combat, be it like X or ATB like IX and prior with a full cast of characters. I just seem to be able to enjoy the new ones too, but I see where you guys are coming from, I yearn for a older style FF game as well.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#162 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
pass.
HiImUPSMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 HiImUPSMan
Member since 2007 • 237 Posts

[QUOTE="fend_oblivion"][QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]Why is square so adamant about us liking lightning? please move on, we dont like her.DarkLink77

Vaan exists.

Tidus exists too.:D

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="fend_oblivion"] I think she's the worst and least memorable protagonist in a FF game. HiImUPSMan

Vaan exists.

He does. Not as bad as Vann, though. :D
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

[QUOTE="HiImUPSMan"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Vaan exists.DarkLink77

Don't forget Squall. He's probably the worst of all.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
Weren't the other XIII games awful, why would anyone be hyped for this?
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="HiImUPSMan"]

DJ-Lafleur

Don't forget Squall. He's probably the worst of all.

He is. :D

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#168 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Weren't the other XIII games awful, why would anyone be hyped for this?layton2012

cause there are people who liked them.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#169 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

I couldn't even play FFXII-2 because of how annoyingly typical Japanese anime styled it was. The voice acting and the dialogue were horrrribbbleee.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#170 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Oh look another girly Childish barbie pink game. SNIPER4321
Try harder.
hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="fend_oblivion"] I think she's the worst and least memorable protagonist in a FF game. HiImUPSMan

Vaan exists.

If so, then add Zidane to that list.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="HiImUPSMan"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Vaan exists.hayato_

How is Zidane a bad protagonist?
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

[QUOTE="hayato_"][QUOTE="HiImUPSMan"]

DarkLink77

Yeah, that one lost me. His visual design is a bit goofy, but it fits the world. Otherwise he was a great main.

Tidus was sh*t, but it fit well in the story. Vaan was sh*t, but he faded away into obscurity quickly and held no real weight in the game. Just kind of there.

I see Squall and Lightning as being on equal ground. Both terrible. Both too much screen time to bare.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#174 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
No-one asked for a sequel to FFXIII and we have two now. Meanwhile, EVERYONE has been asking for Versus XIII for the last 5 years, and it has basically become vaporware. And Square wonders why they are in such dire financial trouble?
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 DarkLink77
No-one asked for a sequel to FFXIII and we have two now. Meanwhile, EVERYONE has been asking for Versus XIII for the last 5 years, and it has basically become vaporware. And Square wonders why they are in such dire financial trouble?Timstuff
Since when is Square in financial trouble?
Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]No-one asked for a sequel to FFXIII and we have two now. Meanwhile, EVERYONE has been asking for Versus XIII for the last 5 years, and it has basically become vaporware. And Square wonders why they are in such dire financial trouble?DarkLink77

I wouldn't say they are in financial trouble but didn't their earnings take a massive dive last fiscal year? He is right though, no one wanted a god damn sequel to FFXIII and everyone wants versus. Problem is, it has been hyped up so much that they probably can't deliver anymore, further dragging the FF brand through the mud (after the clusterf!ck that was FFXIV).

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]No-one asked for a sequel to FFXIII and we have two now. Meanwhile, EVERYONE has been asking for Versus XIII for the last 5 years, and it has basically become vaporware. And Square wonders why they are in such dire financial trouble?October_Tide

I wouldn't say they are in financial trouble but didn't their earnings take a massive dive last fiscal year? He is right though, no one wanted a god damn sequel to FFXIII and everyone wants versus. Problem is, it has been hyped up so much that they probably can't deliver anymore, further dragging the FF brand through the mud (after the clusterf!ck that was FFXIV).

To be totally fair to Square, the FF series has always been very uneven and FFXIII is not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination.

But they do have Eidos and the FFXIII series is making money. I have a hard time believing they're doing badly financially.

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 hayato_

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="hayato_"] If so, then add Zidane to that list. ConanTheStoner

Yeah, that one lost me. His visual design is a bit goofy, but it fits the world. Otherwise he was a great main.

Tidus was sh*t, but it fit well in the story. Vaan was sh*t, but he faded away into obscurity quickly and held no real weight in the game. Just kind of there.

I see Squall and Lightning as being on equal ground. Both terrible. Both too much screen time to bare.

I could say the same thing about what you are saying about Squall. Playing the whole game that is. That being said, I didn't like Zidane's character at all when it came full circle.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] How is Zidane a bad protagonist?hayato_

I could say the same thing about what you are saying about Squall. Playing the whole game that is

Squall is annoying. Zidane isn't. Unless you find optimism annoying.
hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 hayato_

[QUOTE="hayato_"][QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

DarkLink77

I could say the same thing about what you are saying about Squall. Playing the whole game that is

To each his own. I felt Squall actually amounted and took some responsibility at the end, whereas Zidane was always a brat. That is my opinion though. He had his moments.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="hayato_"] I could say the same thing about what you are saying about Squall. Playing the whole game that ishayato_

To each his own. I felt Squall actually amounted and took some responsibility at the end, whereas Zidane was always a brat. That is my opinion though. He had his moments.

Squall has a good arc, but I can't stand him for like 90% of FFVIII.
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#182 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts
[QUOTE="fend_oblivion"][QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]Why is square so adamant about us liking lightning? please move on, we dont like her.DarkLink77

Vaan exists.

Excluding the handheld games, he was only present in one main series title so it's okay :P
hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 hayato_
[QUOTE="hayato_"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Squall is annoying. Zidane isn't. Unless you find optimism annoying.DarkLink77

I probably would have called him the worst if it wasn't towards the ending. Although I could see the criticism. My favorite will always be Tidus and I'm not even gonna defend him since so many hate him.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="hayato_"]

hayato_

I probably would have called him the worst if it wasn't towards the ending. Although I could see the criticism. My favorite will always be Tidus and I'm not even gonna defend him since so many hate him.

I actually don't mind Tidus because I understand why he is the way he is. Same with Cloud (who is apparently super popular to hate nowadays).
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#185 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

finalfantasy94

Nope.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#186 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="hayato_"] I could say the same thing about what you are saying about Squall. Playing the whole game that ishayato_

I didn't think he was a brat at all. He seemed like a friendly, albeit mischevious, guy. Squall, however, was like such a douchebag. He reminded me of the most annoying overly moody and brooding teenager imaginable.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23940 Posts

Game has some potential, not interested in it yet, but wont write it off either. The 13 days remaining could be interesting... like another Majora's Mask.

Skyrim is an open world game that let's you go anywhere and do anything.Sure if your definitino by everything is killing and stealing, There are countless numbers of dungeons, castles, strongholds, cities, settlements, houses, etc to explore too bad this gets repetitive real fast, and the dungeons are a complete bore, you can loot, steal, or buy items like in most RPGs and games pretending to be RPGs, there are tons of weapons, armor, jewelry and enchanted items to choose from too bad the weapon variety is poor (8 weapon types, 3 of which are 2 handed versions of the previous) what enchants are ideal are always obviuos too, you can pickpocket, there is a seemingly endless number of quests to complete outside of the main quest all of which suck, horribly, you can join different factions and guilds which are glorified quest lines, buy houses, there is a complex, interactive leveling system lolwut, the levelling system in Skyrim is very simplistic, the perks are obvious pick mes too and the perks break the game, oh and levelscaling, you can pick door locks and steal any item lying around in the game even useless ones used strictly as decoration and display them in your house while you can steal any itemyou cant steal any object like you can in Sims 3, also there are much better games for this, you can mine for minerals, refine the minerals, and use them to forge armor and weapons allowing you to break the game, you can enchant weapons, armor and jewelry with some of the most boring enchants ever stack +25% one handed damage on everything :D, collect a countless number of ingredients to make hundreds of potions, there are hundreds of unique books in the game that you can read yay! bad writing :D, the list just goes on and on.. The sheer number of possibilities and things to do in the game are staggering like killing and stealing?. Skyrim is by far the most complex RPG game ever made wth did I just read?.. And there are absolutely no repetitive dungeons or structures in Skyrim as there were in Oblivion the dungeons may not be copy pasta, but they are all linear corridors, plenty of which can be completed in less than half a minute.. Also, the combat system is the most realistic melee combat system out there wth did I just read?. You can block, strike, perform special melee attacks, and then there are the countless magic spells and scrolls that you can add into the real time combat. As I said, TES is moving forward with each new game where is that morrowind vs skyrim pic when you need it?, while Final Fantasy is being dumbed down into a linear, interactive chick flick...superclocked

Please, try Mount & Blade. Unlike Skyrim it has regional armor and damage, no hp bloating on anyone, characters that react to being hit, no enemies that are magically 10 times more sturdy and deadly than the previous guy you just killed, some weight to the weapons (not as much as the Souls games though), no magic perks, a weight system that affects you no matter how much you are carrying, multiple damage types, directional attacks and blocking, shield coverage and a scaling system that makes it so that even a low ranking soldier has a chance of killing you.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#188 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

[QUOTE="hayato_"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Squall is annoying. Zidane isn't. Unless you find optimism annoying.DarkLink77

Also, I couldn't stand Rinoah either, and the whole game was basically setting up for the two of them to fall in love. I liked Quistis Trepe, but there is no way to make Squall pick her instead, and by the time the game got to the end I was like "You know what Squall? You and Rinoah deserve each other, so have a nice life and f*** you." Squall is probably the one FF protagonist I hate the most just because he was a pathetic douchebag who I would rather punch in the face than lead to victory in battle.

IMO FFXIII was the first "bad" Final Fantasy game (Mystic Quest not withstanding). That does not mean it was a bad game, but it was of much poorer quality all around than Final Fantasy VIII-- the only thing that it had going for it over FFVII was that the graphics were much better, but when everything else about the game is notably inferior, I could care less about graphics.

Limshowron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Limshowron
Member since 2013 • 48 Posts
Fall 2013 is not a release date. Finally though, the conclusion to the best Final Fantasy series. :cool:
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Lionheart08

[QUOTE="hayato_"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Squall has a good arc, but I can't stand him for like 90% of FFVIII.DarkLink77

I actually don't mind Tidus because I understand why he is the way he is. Same with Cloud (who is apparently super popular to hate nowadays).

Honestly, a lot of the characters have explanations for the reason the act the way they do. Squall, Tidus, Cloud. Vaan just has no charisma what so ever.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Lionheart08

[QUOTE="hayato_"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Squall is annoying. Zidane isn't. Unless you find optimism annoying.GreySeal9

I didn't think he was a brat at all. He seemed like a friendly, albeit mischevious, guy. Squall, however, was like such a douchebag. He reminded me of the most annoying overly moody and brooding teenager imaginable.

Only thing is, for all the "emo" bashing he gets, Squall never once actually pushes his issues on anyone else.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 DJ-Lafleur

[QUOTE="hayato_"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Squall has a good arc, but I can't stand him for like 90% of FFVIII.DarkLink77

Tidus wasn't as bad as Squall and Vaan, I'd certainly give him that much, and I do nunderstand why Tidus acts the way he does, but he still could be a bit annoying in how he handled things (mostly with his hatred of his father). In hindsight I may be a bit tough on Tidus, because atleast he CAN be optimistic outside of his daddy issues.

And I've allways thought Cloud was great myself, atleast his original FFVII self. Never bothered with any of the FFVII spin-offs.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

GreySeal9

Nope.

Yes they did. 4 does at least
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 DJ-Lafleur

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

Capitan_Kid

Nope.

What the hell are you talking about? FFIV did not, nor did any old FF. The only FF with an auto-battle option was FFXIII and I would guess FFFXIII-2.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="hayato_"] I probably would have called him the worst if it wasn't towards the ending. Although I could see the criticism. My favorite will always be Tidus and I'm not even gonna defend him since so many hate him. Lionheart08

Honestly, a lot of the characters have explanations for the reason the act the way they do. Squall, Tidus, Cloud. Vaan just has no charisma what so ever.

Squall has really no reason to be as much of a dick as he is. Vaan's excuse is that he isn't supposed to be in the game in the first damn place.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 ShadowsDemon

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Nope.

DJ-Lafleur

What the hell are you talking about? FFIV did not, nor did any old FF. The only FF with an auto-battle option was FFXIII and I would guess FFFXIII-2.

You know you can switch it around in the menu, right?
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 DJ-Lafleur

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] Yes they did. 4 does at leastShadowsDemon

Switch what around in what menu in what game?

I'm lost right now.

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 hayato_

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

GreySeal9

Nope.

If you really think about it, "attack" is basically auto-battle in a sense. The paradigms should be seen as the real command selection. Also, you technically didn't have to use "auto-battle" if you didn't want to.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#199 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts
I think the game's called Lightning Returns, final :P
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 ShadowsDemon

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

DJ-Lafleur

Switch what around in what menu in what game?

I'm lost right now.

You can make abilities your first option instead of auto-battle.