Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Seeing Deus Ex Mankind Divded bringing rigs to its knees despite having mannequins trying to pass off as characters is laughable. The animations are stiff, facial expressions and animations are worse than Uncharted 3 and characters just don't convey the sense of realism and polish the ones in Uncharted 4 do. For all its shortcomings, nothing comes close to Uncharted 4 when it comes to producing and animating characters to make them look and feel life-like.

No amounts of processing power can replace talent so cut the bullshit with your SLI 1080 rig. Won't make animations better and won't increase polygon count.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#2 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Juub1990

@kvally said:

I'm sure you're totally unbiased with your XBox sig and bullshot avatar.

Actually one game comes close and it's Rise of The Tomb Raider. Everything else is so far behind Uncharted 4 doesn't even see them in its rear view mirror.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Quantum Breaks character models were very believable.

Mcpanties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mcpanties
Member since 2016 • 60 Posts

crysis 3 disagrees

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Juub1990
@mcpanties said:

crysis 3 disagrees

Crysis 3 beats Uncharted 4 in a lot of things but character models and facial animations isn't one of them. In fact it's not even close.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kvally

@Juub1990 said:
@kvally said:

I'm sure you're totally unbiased with your XBox sig and bullshot avatar.

Actually one game comes close and it's Rise of The Tomb Raider. Everything else is so far behind Uncharted 4 doesn't even see them in its rear view mirror.

I don't have an Xbox sig. I have an Xbox/PS4 sig. If I could find a sig that had an Xbox/PS4/Alienware in it, I would switch to that.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

QB...

Plus as a bonus.. Jacket King as well. lol :P

Mcpanties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mcpanties
Member since 2016 • 60 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@mcpanties said:

crysis 3 disagrees

Crysis 3 beats Uncharted 4 in a lot of things but character models and facial animations isn't one of them. In fact it's not even close.

you would be right if uncharted 4 was on PC and the graphics could do it justice, but facts are that its locked down on a crappy console with horrible graphics

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Juub1990

QB does have great looking models. What about the animations...last I checked it was pretty bad there compared to Uncharted 4.

@mcpanties you would be right if uncharted 4 was on PC and the graphics could do it justice, but facts are that its locked down on a crappy console with horrible graphics

Talking about model qualities and animations. Sure a high-end rig would help but the most important part of that is a team of talented and experienced artists.

FantasyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FantasyGamer
Member since 2015 • 517 Posts

Ryse looks good too,

from real time cutscenes

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Juub1990
@fantasygamer said:

Ryse looks good too,

from real time cutscenes

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6ozrZgS7PpV5vZcI/giphy.gif

Yep looks good as well but in-game there is a noticeable downgrade from cutscenes. Uncharted 4 has the same issues but the transition is much smoother and the difference isn't as pronounced.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

False. It has good looking character models for amin characters during cutscenes only. Secondly, Ryse, RottR, QB, AC:U all had great character models.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@fantasygamer said:

Ryse looks good too,

from real time cutscenes

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6ozrZgS7PpV5vZcI/giphy.gif

Yep looks good as well but in-game there is a noticeable downgrade from cutscenes. Uncharted 4 has the same issues but the transition is much smoother and the difference isn't as pronounced.

The difference IS pronounced, dont lie.

Uncharted is my favorite PS series but lets not exaggerate.

That scene you posted isnt that interactive, its more like Heavy Rain. Sure, you can choose your response but its not running animations, AI, the world, physics, nothing else.

During gameplay there IS a difference that is noticeable, dont lie to make your point.

That said, it is still one of the best looking console games.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Juub1990
@navyguy21 said:

That scene you posted isnt that interactive, its more like Heavy Rain. Sure, you can choose your response but its not running animations, AI, the world, physics, nothing else.

During gameplay there IS a difference that is noticeable, dont lie to make your point.

It really isn't. Sometimes it's difficult to tell a cutscene from an in-game scene. Biggest difference in cutscenes is that everything is high quality from the background to the textures to the filtering. In-game textures take a hit, objects in the far distance don't look as good and shadow resolution is decreased. Character models though don't appear drastically different.

These are in-game. Not cut scenes. Everything looks high quality on the characters.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

I think The Order: 1886 has the best looking character models I seen on a console if you ask me. Quantum Break comes in seconds as well.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kvally

@Juub1990 said:

QB does have great looking models. What about the animations...last I checked it was pretty bad there compared to Uncharted 4.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kvally

Here you can see all the praise for the facial animations for QB:

http://www.di4d.com/news-blog/praise-for-quantum-break-facial-animation/

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Too bad games are more than just character models

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Yea Naughty Gods at work.

They never fail to astonish me. I was playing TLoU tonight, and the details they pay attention to is incredible. When Joel first gets his gun (in the prologue to protect Sarah), he actually removes bullets from the box individually and puts them in the chamber. You don't even NEED this much detail, nobody would care or even notice if they weren't looking, but they do it anyway. It's like pride of craftsmanship.

Naughty Dog really does make everyone else look like amateurs. Well, mostly everybody. I find all aspects of their presentation to be easily some of the best work out there, if not the best.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#21 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@mcpanties:

That guy from Crysis is bald and staring blankly at the player. Parts of his suit is paper thin and you can also see jagged edges around his skull. The only thing going for him is the high res textures. Great clarity, but you can tell he's from last gen.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

All that tech and still, nothing beats using as much of the real thing as possible.

L.A. Noire tech should be brought back from the grave and improved. Shits all over UC4 facial animation.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#24 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

@mcpanties you would be right if uncharted 4 was on PC and the graphics could do it justice, but facts are that its locked down on a crappy console with horrible graphics

Talking about model qualities and animations. Sure a high-end rig would help but the most important part of that is a team of talented and experienced artists.

QB animations suffer from inconsistency. As you mentioned it comes down to talent. QB is neither as talented as ND or has the man power. ND is plain the bigger studio.

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#25 nathanbats
Member since 2016 • 1057 Posts

QB,ryse,the order 1886 and rise of the tomb raider come close to uncharted 4 but imo uncharted 4's character models and facials animations are better than the others.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#26 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@navyguy21 said:

It really isn't. Sometimes it's difficult to tell a cutscene from an in-game scene. Biggest difference in cutscenes is that everything is high quality from the background to the textures to the filtering. In-game textures take a hit, objects in the far distance don't look as good and shadow resolution is decreased. Character models though don't appear drastically different.

These are in-game. Not cut scenes. Everything looks high quality on the characters.

I think it looks great in these, but there is a very clear and pronounced difference from the pic in your OP

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Best. Character model. Ever. :D

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nepu7supastar7

@AdobeArtist:

Too cartoony. Lara has an interesting look but the art direction for the reboot TR series is so dreary and depressive.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kvally

I could not agree more Adobe. ROTTR seemed more lifelike (realistic), where is UC4 color palette was very cartoony.

@AdobeArtist said:

Best. Character model. Ever. :D

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@killered3 said:

@AdobeArtist:

Too cartoony. Lara has an interesting look but the art direction for the reboot TR series is so dreary and depressive.

You have an unusual definition of "cartoony".

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@killered3: u4 is extremely cartoony..

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@navyguy21 said:

Then i suppose we see what we want to see. There is a noticeable difference during gameplay where you actually fully control Drake.

That scene on the chair wasnt gameplay.

Like i said, i love the series and the game, but there is a difference.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:

All that tech and still, nothing beats using as much of the real thing as possible.

L.A. Noire tech should be brought back from the grave and improved. Shits all over UC4 facial animation.

It's very wonky though, since it doesn't allow animating the eyes separately to follow the player. It works in this shot - reverse shot situation in L.A. Noire, because the focal point of their eyes is static. But even then the characters go full uncanny valley sometimes, with their head turning, but eyes being locked in centered position.

I think we're better of with improving full performance capture as a go-to tech for videogames.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nepu7supastar7

@AdobeArtist:

It's just the style. They gave her some great textures, color pallets, and I love the hair but her face itself along with the other characters.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@navyguy21 said:

Yeah sure!

Loading Video...

The difference is drastic and it's just after the very cutscene. And about animations, I have to agree with the person that said L.A. Noire.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Yea Naughty Gods at work.

They never fail to astonish me. I was playing TLoU tonight, and the details they pay attention to is incredible. When Joel first gets his gun (in the prologue to protect Sarah), he actually removes bullets from the box individually and puts them in the chamber. You don't even NEED this much detail, nobody would care or even notice if they weren't looking, but they do it anyway. It's like pride of craftsmanship.

Naughty Dog really does make everyone else look like amateurs. Well, mostly everybody. I find all aspects of their presentation to be easily some of the best work out there, if not the best.

Too bad they fail most of the time in the gameplay department.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
deactivated-5a8875b6c648f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
Member since 2015 • 954 Posts

I'd argue RotTR's character models come close.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kvally

So the TC missed like most other games that are better. UC4 is no pedestal, that is for sure.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

They all look same to me.

L0ngshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 L0ngshot
Member since 2014 • 516 Posts

No mention of Witcher 3 character models? I thought they were good, maybe not so much in the animation department.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Game looks great.

But it's a bore to play on normal and on the hardest difficulty is just an annoyance.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#42  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

TC, I disagree. There are plenty of games that easily compete with it. In fact, most of them were already listed in earlier posts within this thread so theirs no point in me even debating.

I do agree with you about Deus Ex. I haven't played Mankind Divided, but Human Revoluton's overall graphics and animations were bad. But it had good gameplay and story arcs.

Don't get me wrong, I love Naughty Dog, The Last of Us is my favorite game from them (even though a lot of people hate it), and they are incredibly talented devs. But man Sony fanboys go overboard with the praise.

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Too bad they fail most of the time in the gameplay department.

I admit, Their gameplay strategies/methods definitely need to be looked at and adjusted for future titles. They are getting dangerously close to the "cinematic gameplay" curse nowadays. Too much focus on graphics/and cutscene quality has a tendency to cause that.

I mean, just look at the most of the praise. Uncharted gets... It's almost always about graphics, no one ever says anything about the damn gameplay. Dark times ahead.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#43 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

@kvally: UC4 has great graphics. Thats about the best that could be said about it.

Too bad the gameplay is average at best. Ive never understood the hype this series gets personally

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#44  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts

Was quite surprised by how pedestrian Mankind Divided looked, considering how demanding it is.

Compare that to Unity which is a few years old now.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

I'm honest, like always and have to agree. Naughty Gods are on another level and it's no wonder with they have 3 top 10 GOAT's.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@zeeshanhaider:

The only difference is visual effects. The character models themselves are exactly the same throughout. Cutscenes just add polish. Your phony comparison wasn't even sensible. One Drake is wet, one Drake is dry. One Drake is from faraway, the other is in close up. The video itself is low res and the ps4 has weak draw distance.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

The Order looks very very nice as well. I love the way they use the old master painting color on their characters.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

I already defunct all of this with gpuking, Lara Croft's in game model is unquestionably better than Nathan Drake's.

I'm on my phone so I can't post the videos, but if someone remembers them please post them, or I will when I get home.

FantasyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FantasyGamer
Member since 2015 • 517 Posts