Left 4 Dead 2's AI Fail

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jim_bojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jim_bojones
Member since 2009 • 147 Posts
Koku Gamer writes: "With reports of players failing to get through the 'Easy' difficulty due to the stupidity of AI companions in Left 4 Dead 2, a video has backed this up by showing just how hilariously bad the AI can be in the sequel." http://kokugamer.com/2009/11/21/left-4-dead-2s-ai-fail/
me_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 me_rock
Member since 2004 • 2462 Posts

Yeah it's really bad. Me and my friend tried beating the demo on expert but the A.I. slows us down, and eventually dies.

Lethargika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lethargika
Member since 2009 • 1666 Posts

Koku Gamer writes: "With reports of players failing to get through the 'Easy' difficulty due to the stupidity of AI companions in Left 4 Dead 2, a video has backed this up by showing just how hilariously bad the AI can be in the sequel." http://kokugamer.com/2009/11/21/left-4-dead-2s-ai-fail/jim_bojones

LOL, Brave souls. At least there intentions were good. :P

rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts

Yeah, even a pub player is better than the AI.

But everyone know that if you're playing with the AI, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

jim_bojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jim_bojones

[QUOTE="jim_bojones"]Koku Gamer writes: "With reports of players failing to get through the 'Easy' difficulty due to the stupidity of AI companions in Left 4 Dead 2, a video has backed this up by showing just how hilariously bad the AI can be in the sequel." http://kokugamer.com/2009/11/21/left-4-dead-2s-ai-fail/Lethargika

LOL, Brave souls. At least there intentions were good. :P

that is the dumbest AI ive ever seen lmao. Good Going Valve, i guess the time you put into making graphics hurt the AI *rolls eyes*
Doctor-McNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Doctor-McNinja
Member since 2009 • 1515 Posts
I cant believe this game got AAA scores, to be honest. There seems to be a different set of standards for Valve.
jim_bojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jim_bojones
i guess thats what happens when you rush sequals out so fast. valve is sad.
jim_bojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jim_bojones
I cant believe this game got AAA scores, to be honest. There seems to be a different set of standards for Valve. Doctor-McNinja
thats what im wondering, the graphics suck, the ai sucks, the gameplay added nothing new, so whats the fuss all about? is it cuz 360 "needs AAA"? wasnt perfect dark hurting the 360 AAA list enough as it is?
rockzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rockzo
Member since 2009 • 520 Posts

Koku Gamer writes: "With reports of players failing to get through the 'Easy' difficulty due to the stupidity of AI companions in Left 4 Dead 2, a video has backed this up by showing just how hilariously bad the AI can be in the sequel." http://kokugamer.com/2009/11/21/left-4-dead-2s-ai-fail/jim_bojones

This is why its for Multiplayer only. L4D2 is a fantastic game and is defenatly a GOTY contender.

P.S. My appologies for my poor punctuation but my apostrophe key is broken :P

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

loo, they all jumped.

and then coach..LMAO!

jim_bojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jim_bojones
[QUOTE="samuraiguns"]

loo, they all jumped.

and then coach..LMAO!

theyve been programmed to fail :lol:
Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#12 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

how did this game get a 9.0 here and other places? I really don't understand the apeal of this game. I would never ever buy a game that is basically co-op only. The game looks extremely bland, and boring, I don't see why so many people hype it, especially when this should of just been an expansion pak.

xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xYamatox
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

[QUOTE="jim_bojones"]Koku Gamer writes: "With reports of players failing to get through the 'Easy' difficulty due to the stupidity of AI companions in Left 4 Dead 2, a video has backed this up by showing just how hilariously bad the AI can be in the sequel." http://kokugamer.com/2009/11/21/left-4-dead-2s-ai-fail/rockzo

This is why its for Multiplayer only. L4D2 is a fantastic game and is defenatly a GOTY contender.

Don't try to make a good game any more than it is. It just ends up becoming "overrated garbage". L4D2 will not be GotY.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

[QUOTE="jim_bojones"]Koku Gamer writes: "With reports of players failing to get through the 'Easy' difficulty due to the stupidity of AI companions in Left 4 Dead 2, a video has backed this up by showing just how hilariously bad the AI can be in the sequel." http://kokugamer.com/2009/11/21/left-4-dead-2s-ai-fail/Midnightshade29

how did this game get a 9.0 here and other places? I really don't understand the apeal of this game. I would never ever buy a game that is basically co-op only. The game looks extremely bland, and boring, I don't see why so many people hype it, especially when this should of just been an expansion pak.

People tended to stop saying this when they actually played the game >_>

fuchuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 fuchuzz
Member since 2007 • 320 Posts

i wish valve just got rid of the AI, like single player was played by your self with adjusted difficulty of course.

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

I lol'd at the people who say this is a bad game because of the AI.

Obviously once they touch the thing called online co-op with people they find this game brilliant.

Even if the AI is bad, ever heard of the saying "Just deal with it"?

Tim_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Tim_Q
Member since 2005 • 1963 Posts

I can't say in all the times I've played this game with AI that this ever happened...works perfectly for me. The worst the AI gets for me is being slow to catch up with us because they become OCD in killing every zombie in sight and point-whoring.

Absolutely fantastic game, whether playing with AI or not, although I do promise you, play it with friends, it is totally worth it in every way. The level design in this game trumps the first game in every way possible and the new modes just make it better.

TheAxeMurderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheAxeMurderer
Member since 2007 • 201 Posts

Can't help but lol@this complaint being applied to this particular game.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

:D That vid is funny.
It was bad but yeah...
I just had a campaign with a buddy. We were on expert and 2 AI. It went ok till we got to the supermarket with the coke part.
The AI would not enter the store, but stand outside scattered. So they were sure to fall down within seconds every time.
After a dozen times we just gave up :P

Here another vid on AI (L4D1).

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

Does anyone find it funny that the guy tried to host a game by himself instead of just joining someone else's lobby? Then complaining that no one joined his game since the lobby? Why didn't he just join someone else's lobby?

And then jumped and fell like an idiot in the game and then wonders why he is having so much trouble with the Dark Carnival campiagn?

nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

[QUOTE="rockzo"]

[QUOTE="jim_bojones"]Koku Gamer writes: "With reports of players failing to get through the 'Easy' difficulty due to the stupidity of AI companions in Left 4 Dead 2, a video has backed this up by showing just how hilariously bad the AI can be in the sequel." http://kokugamer.com/2009/11/21/left-4-dead-2s-ai-fail/xYamatox

Don't try to make a good game any more than it is. It just ends up becoming "overrated garbage". L4D2 will not be GotY.

He's right, L4D2 is an unbelievably good game that vastly improves the original. Excellent graphics, maps are more open and varied, amazing level design, the infected now have a damage system that allows you to cut off limbs, etc., HUGE selection of weapons, 3 new special infected that counter the techniques people used in L4D1 (ex: no longer possible to sit in a room or a corner defending, the spitter counters that), amazing weather effects, realism mode, maps now have different objectives, the list just goes on and on.

Really, I find it insane that a game like this, with so much content, huge replayability, that is really a step forward compared to the original, is being trashed in this forum, while MW2 sales are through the roof...

I guess it's the same with movies, music, books, TV shows, etc., the best ones aren't *usually* the ones that sell the most.

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
That's why you get 4 friends and play it.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

But everyone know that if you're playing with the AI, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

rcignoni

Except for those of us who were expecting a competent single player from the game as well... and not just another VALVe MP-focused title.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

So glad I didn't get this.

Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

[QUOTE="rcignoni"]But everyone know that if you're playing with the AI, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

foxhound_fox

Except for those of us who were expecting a competent single player from the game as well... and not just another VALVe MP-focused title.

Then you got the wrong game. :p

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Are you guys actually playing this game offline? This game was meant to be played online.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="rcignoni"]But everyone know that if you're playing with the AI, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

foxhound_fox

Why did you even bother buying this game? Its like buying BF2 and expecting a great single player campaign. Surely you would have known by all the advertising that this game was multiplayer focused....

taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts

Yeah, if you play L4D w/o friends, it's a nightmare :P

BlackHawk2599

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 BlackHawk2599
Member since 2004 • 690 Posts

Uh... play with friends like a normal person? If you don't have friends make some on a pub game. Just play good and be nice, that's how I met a bunch of people on the original L4D.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

The only difficulty the AI can't seem to handle is expert, and advanced they need some support. I wouldn't really call that "poor" AI since most human players are terrible at those difficulties as well, but they can always get better. Adaptive AI would be a pain. Otherwise the AI handles itself fine, but obviously has trouble following orders and when trying to help they player they get stuck and have trouble knowing what to do. It's like the AI of the first game all over again. It definitely has room for improvement, but they definitely added a lot more variety to this game over it's predecessor. The amount of content is over double what the first game had in terms of game modes, weapons, and enemy/level variety.

The appeal is all in the coop though, and it's easily Valve's best MP attempt yet. It's certainly playable in singleplayer, but not on the higher difficulties.

ThePRAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ThePRAssassin
Member since 2009 • 1344 Posts

From what I played the human AI on the PC isn't much better.

I played yesterday at my friends house and it was terrible, maybe I just kept joining games with terrible people due to bad luck but wow.

I would have rather played by myself, with no AI partners.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

Ya im not sure how they managed to make everything better yet the AI actually came out much worse.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

Yeah, I have bought it on PC and have tried to play it a few times in singleplayer mode. My conclusion is that this game is just as bad as the previous game. Even if this game is alot better in multiplayer, it should'nt have got over a 9.0 in score. When a game gets over a 9.0 it should mean it has a good singleplayer and a multiplayer. Now since this game got such a high score, Valve is happy and we probably won't see any huge leaps to L4D 3 either. MILKING is the keyword in most multiplayer games these days!!!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 foxhound_fox

Why did you even bother buying this game? Its like buying BF2 and expecting a great single player campaign. Surely you would have known by all the advertising that this game was multiplayer focused....

JangoWuzHere

I was referring to the first... and Battlefield 2 was also a game I was expecting at least a decent SP from. There really isn't any excuse for charging $50-60 for a game and not having a singleplayer in it.

longtonguecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 longtonguecat
Member since 2008 • 2558 Posts

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]Why did you even bother buying this game? Its like buying BF2 and expecting a great single player campaign. Surely you would have known by all the advertising that this game was multiplayer focused....

foxhound_fox

I was referring to the first... and Battlefield 2 was also a game I was expecting at least a decent SP from. There really isn't any excuse for charging $50-60 for a game and not having a singleplayer in it.

That makes no sense. Single Player only is fine, but multiplayer only isn't? Say good buy yo CS and TF2 then...

jim_bojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jim_bojones
That's why you get 4 friends and play it.aaronmullan
friends are overrated.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Yeah the AI is pretty terrible. Sometimes I'll look over at an AI controlled team mate and they will be covered in infected with a fire axe out...but they won't be using the fire axe, instead they will be trying to shove the infected away but running out of melee stamina and then waiting for their stamina to recharge. For the most part the AI is pretty much exactly the same as in L4D.

The issue arises when they run into new features that they don't seem to be programed properly for. Melee Fatigue in campaign is a good example, the AI ALWAYS sucked with it in Versus and now it's not any different. They seem to be all too happy to use melee weapons as well and by use I mean stand there and get killed. I've also seen the AI take pills with 98 health, but that happened in L4D sometimes as well.

On the other hand the AI has improved in someways too however. They are much better at fighting tanks and witches now, they actually run away rather than sitting there and taking it. Oddly enough because of how much the Infected AI has improved (and that's alot) you notice the lackings of the survivor AI even more.
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
The AI in a game meant to be played with other people is bad? This is preposterous, nay, outrageous I say! Riots in the streets shall be had!
warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 warmaster670

The AI in a game meant to be played with other people is bad? This is preposterous, nay, outrageous I say! Riots in the streets shall be had!Skittles_McGee

Ya cause you can control people leaving your game and leaving you with bots.

B1RDH0UZ3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 B1RDH0UZ3
Member since 2009 • 160 Posts

Yhea the AI is prety stupid but the game is AWSOME when played with freinds

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"]The AI in a game meant to be played with other people is bad? This is preposterous, nay, outrageous I say! Riots in the streets shall be had!warmaster670

For all of 1 or 2 minutes, I think you'd survive.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts
first l4d i hated ! it got boring so fast . its kinda cool your first time around . but tis so short it just gots old .
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 foxhound_fox

That makes no sense. Single Player only is fine, but multiplayer only isn't? Say good buy yo CS and TF2 then...

longtonguecat

Multiplayer has been and always will be the sprinkles on the cookie, or the icing on the cake when it comes to gaming. Sprinkles and icing by themselves are still sweet, but feel incomplete without something to put them on.

Both CS and TF2 were never $50-60 releases. And rightly so.

longtonguecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 longtonguecat
Member since 2008 • 2558 Posts

[QUOTE="longtonguecat"]That makes no sense. Single Player only is fine, but multiplayer only isn't? Say good buy yo CS and TF2 then...

foxhound_fox

Multiplayer has been and always will be the sprinkles on the cookie, or the icing on the cake when it comes to gaming. Sprinkles and icing by themselves are still sweet, but feel incomplete without something to put them on.

A lot of people get a lot more longevity out of online games than singe player. IMO if they have the content, full price is deserved. For example, on release, neither TF2 nor Counter-Strike had much content, L4D2 on the other hand does.

nitromuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 nitromuffin
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

the first one got really boring to me real quick i dont see why this one would be diffrent

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 karasill
Member since 2007 • 3155 Posts
Is this an attempt to bash a great game? Yeah the AI leaves somethng to be desired and sometimes gets in the way. But this is a multiplayer game and plays best with 3 other people. However, the AI with its faults is still somewhat competent most of the time. My friend and I beat the demo in expert with 2 AI controled players, and we would not have been able to beat it on expert without them.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 karasill
Member since 2007 • 3155 Posts

[QUOTE="longtonguecat"]That makes no sense. Single Player only is fine, but multiplayer only isn't? Say good buy yo CS and TF2 then...

foxhound_fox

When a MP FPS game gives me 3-5 times more play time then any single player campaign then I'd say the price is justified. Single player gets you hooked, but its MP (or lack of) that determines the game'slife span. To me single player (as far as FPS go) is icing on the cake.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Yeah they can end up slowing you down, through they still can be helpful at times. This game is ment for multiplayer anyway, and is still loads of fun. Deserves the 9.0 IMO.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
seriously? whenever i played the demo with other people on expert we'd always die, but when i played by myself I'd win easily...
warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 warmaster670

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"]The AI in a game meant to be played with other people is bad? This is preposterous, nay, outrageous I say! Riots in the streets shall be had!Skittles_McGee

For all of 1 or 2 minutes, I think you'd survive.

2 rounds as survivours only takes 1 or 2 minutes? games dont immediatley fill up all the time, alot of the times it can go for several stages.