Killzone's Graphics Assesment: Screen Captures

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

I took advantage of the PS4's "Share" feature and uploaded some screencaptures to Facebook. Based on the screen captures, which are included in this OP, what do you guys think of Shadow Fall's graphics?

Currently adding screen captures. Give me a few minutes.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

You realize those capture pics fro PS4 SHARE button are compressed as fvck. We're talking about worse than Youtube compression here. No graphics comparisons can be done with them. Why not look for direct feed captures?

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

Can't see the screens BUT I do play KZ:SF and simply its the most impressive looking title on both consoles.

People who haven't played it won't fully understan this till they appreciate the extreme texture detail, draw distances, particle effects, explosions etc all at 1080P 30 or 60FPS

Its through and through a next gen title. The first one thus far

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

I've seen screen captures, and they are pretty damn good. Not sure why a thread was needed.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

I won't lie. I thought those were bullshots lol

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BluRayHiDef

@I_can_haz said:

You realize those capture pics fro PS4 SHARE button are compressed as fvck. We're talking about worse than Youtube compression here. No graphics comparisons can be done with them. Why not look for direct feed captures?

Are you speaking from personal experience? Because based on my experience - that is, based on the fact that I own a PS4 and KZ:SF, I can tell you that the screen captures are very close to the actual quality of the game.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

I couldnt believe how good it looked, especially considering how high the framerate is and the non-linear levels.

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Douevenlift_bro

@BluRayHiDef said:

@I_can_haz said:

Are you speaking from personal experience? Because based on my experience - that is, based on the fact that I own a PS4 and KZ:SF, I can tell you that the screen captures are very close to the actual quality of the game.

LOL he has a PS4 and loves it. Now I can see your screens and they look great but remember you have seen the game running, so you're sort of compensating mentally for what you know it looks like. These screens are somewhat representative, but honestly dont do it justice.

However they still show how amazing the game looks to anybody who hasnt played it.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Douevenlift_bro said:

Can't see the screens BUT I do play KZ:SF and simply its the most impressive looking title on both consoles.

People who haven't played it won't fully understan this till they appreciate the extreme texture detail, draw distances, particle effects, explosions etc all at 1080P 30 or 60FPS

Its through and through a next gen title. The first one thus far

Agreed. You absolutely have no idea how gorgeous the game is unless you actually have it in front of you, on a nice enough TV that you can truly appreciate 1080P graphics. The graphics, even in multiplayer, are extremely crisp and detailed. The game is an absolute joy to play simply due to the impressive sights and fluidity. I've played through Crysis 3 @ 1200P, Ultra Settings (+Medium TXAA), and Killzone still manages to really impress me.

Battlefield 4 is extremely impressive too on the PS4. For how large the maps is, the game is absolutely gorgeous. And plays even smoother than Killzone.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lundy86_4

@BluRayHiDef said:

@I_can_haz said:

There are definitely compression artifacts present... Though, the impression is still good.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

@I_can_haz said:

Bless your heart. You are clueless aren't you?

jman1553

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jman1553
Member since 2009 • 1332 Posts

Those look very compressed.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 I_can_haz

@BluRayHiDef said:

@I_can_haz said:

Yea I'm talking from experience I own the game and BF4 on PS4. The textures in the pics from PS Share button always look muddy plus they are usually too dark and missing details. Here are some of my pics....

They pale in comparison to the actual game. Notice how muddy the textures are due to high compression.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BluRayHiDef

Has anyone here played Ryse? How do its graphics compare to Killzone Shadow's, in your opinion?

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

Looks good but they are just scratching the surface. This is what happens when you have a game actually rendered in 1080p and you don't have to hide the low resolution textures and jags behind blur and smear effects like AA.. Guerilla are wizards with post processing and smoke and mirror effects but they don't have the best artists...

Out of the first party Santa Monica and Naughty Dog have the best artists.. wait until they reveal their stuff it's going to be so hnnng

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

I've seen screen captures, and they are pretty damn good. Not sure why a thread was needed.

word

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

they have a bit of compression and is easily visible around the HUD but it's nowhere near as bad as Youtube.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

But Crysis.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KHAndAnime

@uninspiredcup said:

But Crysis.

You mean Crysis is butt?

jk

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By I_can_haz

@Gue1 said:

@I_can_haz said:

they have a bit of compression and is easily visible around the HUD but it's nowhere near as bad as Youtube.

I dunno man, it looks worse than Youtube on my BF4 video captures for some reason. The pics are a little better but not by much....

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

with this gen of consoles hermits greatest weapon has been neutralized... which is they get to run around taking screenshots of the prettiest part of games to make them look better than they actually are.

winning screenshot wars is gonna be alot more difficult now that consolers can take their own screengrabs.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lundy86_4

@BeardMaster said:

with this gen of consoles hermits greatest weapon has been neutralized... which they get to run around taking screenshots of the prettiest part of games to make them look better than they actually.

winning screenshot wars is gonna be alot more difficult now that consolers can take their own screengrabs.

So, Hermits lose because consolites can take screenshots? They've been able to do that... Forever.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BluRayHiDef

@Bosskiller500 said:

@Douevenlift_bro: to be fair.... the single player is 30fps

the multiplayer is 60fps and you can see a graphical downgrade in mp

a super rig could play kz shadowfall at single player fidelity at 60fps

3 780ti sli or 4 r9 290x crossfire would do the trick

A single HD 7970 could run KZ:SF @ 60 FPS. Why? Because my HD 7970 can run BF3 @ 1080P with all settings maxed @ 60 FPS, and since BF3 on PC looks just as good as KZ:SF (if not better), KZ:SF should be a cake-walk.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@BeardMaster said:

with this gen of consoles hermits greatest weapon has been neutralized... which is they get to run around taking screenshots of the prettiest part of games to make them look better than they actually are.

by taking compressed screenshots?

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BeardMaster

i sure havent been able to take screenshots, usually its some random assy pics from ign or gamespot vs these perfect vistas from a travel brochure as hermits try to catch the light just right through the trees in crysis.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@BeardMaster said:

i sure havent been able to take screenshots, usually its some random assy pics from ign or gamespot vs these perfect vistas from a travel brochure as hermits try to catch the light just right through the trees in crysis.

what's your point?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

Its a pretty nice looking game, it does some things better and some things worse than other graphical powerhouses. Not factoring in image quality and resolution, I'd say it is still overall worse than Crysis 3, maybe Metro, and comparable to BF4.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BeardMaster

@lostrib oh im in my tablet couldnt really tell the quality, if they are heavily compressed then drats, hermits win again.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KHAndAnime

@BeardMaster said:

Yea but the screenshots are uber compressed and don't capture how good the games actually look, so it's less helpful than you think.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BeardMaster

yea i cant really tell the quality of the images on my tablet, thats disappointing.

Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Promised_Trini
Member since 2008 • 3651 Posts

The game does look pretty,I haven't used the Share button at all on PS4.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

If the game really looks like that with the absence of jaggies, dayummmm.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

But Crysis.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -Unreal-
@Bosskiller500 said:

@Douevenlift_bro:

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I don't know, it really depends on the area you are playing in. Some levels look really nice, but some single player levels and multiplayer maps look kinda flat and lifeless.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -Unreal-

@Bosskiller500 said:
please explain?

I'm Ron Burgundy?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KHAndAnime

@JangoWuzHere said:

I don't know, it really depends on the area you are playing in. Some levels look really nice, but some single player levels and multiplayer maps look kinda flat and lifeless.

Definitely some spotty texture work. Some of it looks amazing, some of it looks "meh".

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

I took advantage of the PS4's "Share" feature and uploaded some screencaptures to Facebook. Based on the screen captures, which are included in this OP, what do you guys think of Shadow Fall's graphics?

Currently adding screen captures. Give me a few minutes.

Not that far from Crysis 3 which is kinda impressive

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

I don't know, it looks good but every single time I play it, I don't really wow in amazement.

@JangoWuzHere said:

and this ^

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

It's not bad. Has a decent bit of aliasing from the low level implementation of FXAA, but you probably wouldn't notice that much from the couch. Some of the textures are flat, but otherwise it's nice. Not Crysis 3 on PC nice, but nice.

Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Frozzik
Member since 2006 • 3914 Posts

hmm, the fact that its still up for debate whether or not these next gen graphical power houses can topple Crysis 3 and Metro LL just goes to show how underpowered these consoles are.

I mean these games look amazing, so do the older PC games I mentioned. however, last gen the 1st batch of games were, even by pc standards, stunning. I just don't feel that this gen.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It is a beautiful game. It stands against BF4 on the PC and that's saying something. The multiplayer is a beautiful and buttery smooth 60fps at 1080p. Overall damn good looking game.

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Douevenlift_bro

@Bosskiller500 said:

@Douevenlift_bro: to be fair.... the single player is 30fps

the multiplayer is 60fps and you can see a graphical downgrade in mp

Im not doubting that but we're talking consoles here lol.

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Douevenlift_bro
@Frozzik said:

hmm, the fact that its still up for debate whether or not these next gen graphical power houses can topple Crysis 3 and Metro LL just goes to show how underpowered these consoles are.

I mean these games look amazing, so do the older PC games I mentioned. however, last gen the 1st batch of games were, even by pc standards, stunning. I just don't feel that this gen.

WHich last gen are you talking about?

The one with terrible looking launch games like R:FOM and CoD2?

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@Frozzik said:

So you have a short term memory? The last gen console titles were far worse. Do you not remember COD2 with 8 player mp? Or the horrible port of Prey which was equivalent to a pc on medium settings ? Or what about Quake 4? Last gen launch tittles on consoles were horrible it wasn't unill they had each been out a year when they actually showed what they could do.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

Ryse just spoiled me with face models :(

Nice grabs tho.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@Douevenlift_bro said:
@Frozzik said:

WHich last gen are you talking about?

The one with terrible looking launch games like R:FOM and CoD2?

CoD 2 was a great looking launch game. Easily one of the best looking games at the time.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

@Frozzik said:

So you have a short term memory? The last gen console titles were far worse. Do you not remember COD2 with 8 player mp? Or the horrible port of Prey which was equivalent to a pc on medium settings ? Or what about Quake 4? Last gen launch tittles on consoles were horrible it wasn't unill they had each been out a year when they actually showed what they could do.

You have selective memory....

Problem back then is that games were still single threaded and were not heavily shader based. And the fact then that the 360 was a multicore based system. Let alone the fact that the 360 was the first product on the market to sport the first unified shader based gpu. Then it took more time and money to bypass PS3's RSX (Geforce 7's) limitations by tapping into the unused SPE processors of the Cell that were designed for graphics to begin with.

These consoles will not see the type of advancement as the 360 and PS3 seen from beginning to end of their life once the software caught up with the hardware. These new consoles are not sporting full fledged custom hardware, they are in fact just semi custom pc hardware that is lower tier hardware and has been a standard for years. This time around they know what they have and what limits they have to face. Of course they will find to ways of doing certain tasks saving resources and allocating them elsewhere.