JUDAS previews and interview with Ken Levine The Messiah.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

I don't like the art direction and aesthetic as much as Bioshock, but it does look pretty unique. Has potential.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

Honestly, it just looks like a new Bioshock with a new skin. Similar powers, and similar art styles. I’m guessing there will probably also be similar characters in the style of Little Sisters and Big Daddy kind of concept.

Games like Atomic Heart didn't click with me as I was hoping for a Bioshock clone and hopefully, Judas doesn't end up like Atomic Heart. At least Ken Levine is behind this game, so this gives me confidence it'll be good.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58968 Posts

@davillain said:

Honestly, it just looks like a new Bioshock with a new skin. Similar powers, and similar art styles. I’m guessing there will probably also be similar characters in the style of Little Sisters and Big Daddy kind of concept.

"been there done that"

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

Bioshock wasn't terrible (I'm one of the rare folks that preferred Infinite out of the three) but it was not all it should have been, and definitely did not live up to the hype imo.

I hope this game is good and takes some creative risks to make it unique, but I'm expecting an underwhelming Bioshock clone. Not a fan of the art direction and animations, I don't like the overall style. Looks too much like Bioshock with the kind of jerky animations that make people sort of act like marionette puppets.

@uninspiredcup said:
@davillain said:

"been there done that"

Yyyyyup.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Bioshock wasn't terrible (I'm one of the rare folks that preferred Infinite out of the three) but it was not all it should have been, and definitely did not live up to the hype imo.

I hope this game is good and takes some creative risks to make it unique, but I'm expecting an underwhelming Bioshock clone. Not a fan of the art direction and animations, I don't like the overall style. Looks too much like Bioshock with the kind of jerky animations that make people sort of act like marionette puppets.

@uninspiredcup said:
@davillain said:

"been there done that"

Yyyyyup.

Atomic Heart was the same for me for a Bioshock clone and that game just wasn't as fun as I hoped for. Truth be told, I'd rather play Bioshock Infinite than Atomic Heart to tell you the truth.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
@davillain said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@uninspiredcup said:
@davillain said:

"been there done that"

Yyyyyup.

Atomic Heart was the same for me for a Bioshock clone and that game just wasn't as fun as I hoped for. Truth be told, I'd rather play Bioshock Infinite than Atomic Heart to tell you the truth.

Atomic Heart was cringe. And I don't like to use the word "cringe".

I really wanted to like it, but that 20-minute introduction, the highly unlikeable main character, the banter, the sexualized vending machine...there was just too much to dislike about it.

There's some things I just can't look past and having your character sit in a boat ride only to go to a building and ride an elevator to the top and be greeted by two sexy robots, then told to go back down the elevator and get in a flying car for another few minutes...I just can't get over that. It's such a fundamentally bad series of decisions in how you built the game.

I kept playing despite that terrible first 30-40 mins, and nothing really got better after that. I really wanted to forgive the game and get past what I was so disappointed in but it had no redeeming qualities (or none significant enough for me to say "I forgive you" lol)

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24923 Posts
Loading Video...

It actually looks pretty good. and LOL been there done that. how many games of this type done every year? compare to average open world RPG shit?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

I really wanted to like it, but that 20-minute introduction, the highly unlikeable main character, the banter, the sexualized vending machine...there was just too much to dislike about it.

There's some things I just can't look past and having your character sit in a boat ride only to go to a building and ride an elevator to the top and be greeted by two sexy robots, then told to go back down the elevator and get in a flying car for another few minutes...I just can't get over that. It's such a fundamentally bad series of decisions in how you built the game.

I kept playing despite that terrible first 30-40 mins, and nothing really got better after that. I really wanted to forgive the game and get past what I was so disappointed in but it had no redeeming qualities (or none significant enough for me to say "I forgive you" lol)

The game looked great but it was trying too hard to pander to the lowest and loudest common denominator in gaming. If only they had a consultant company to help them.😏

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hardwenzen

Imagine being called Ghosts4ever and post doritos pope previews. No wonder he is into FF7 now, RE4, Spiderman and Life is Strange.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2136 Posts

I'm sure it's going to be a good game, but it's still more of the same from the same guy doing the same formula over and over again.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hardwenzen

@rmpumper said:

I'm sure it's going to be a good game, but it's still more of the same from the same guy doing the same formula over and over again.

Its not an over used formula because its difficult to execute properly, so i personally have no issues with him reusing it for all this time.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46296 Posts

Sounds good, I'm in.

Also the one time Ghosts can make a thread about a game the opportunity gets ripped away from by hardwenzen, I will never forgive you for this hardwen.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

I don't think this Kevin Levine dude has many ideas left. If I ever get the urge to play a new BioShock where the enemies are toys, I know where to look.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hardwenzen

@R4gn4r0k said:

Sounds good, I'm in.

Also the one time Ghosts can make a thread about a game the opportunity gets ripped away from by hardwenzen, I will never forgive you for this hardwen.

He became very soft since 2022. He doesn't deserve Judas anymore. Soon, he won't even deserve his Stalker 2.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k

@hardwenzen said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Sounds good, I'm in.

He became very soft since 2022. He doesn't deserve Judas anymore. Soon, he won't even deserve his Stalker 2.

It's very sad, but yes the way things are going he will have left gaming before the release of STK 2

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k

Gameplay and setup wise this reminds me of Deahtloop.

Deathloop to me always felt like it had the powers of Dishonored reworked, or remixed.

And this looks like a remix of Bioshock in a lot of ways, with characters that are also way more present and in your face to deliver on exposition.

I like some of the stuff I'm hearing: Ken using ideas he couldn't implement in Bioshock, a narrative that wraps around the player and his actions (Dishonored crew represent)

And I dislike some of the other stuff I'm hearing: roguelite way of you losing all your stuff upon death.

But hey it's a singleplayer non-open world non-live service game, best grab any we can get? Right?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k

@Litchie said:

I don't think this Kevin Levine dude has many ideas left. If I ever get the urge to play a new BioShock where the enemies are toys, I know where to look.

The way Ken Levine is talking is that they are taking concepts like the AI Director in Left 4 Dead, or even Helldivers, where the world actively reacts to what the player is doing.

Moreso in a singleplayer game with NPCs and characters actively reacting to how you are playing

It could be the cure to all this linearity in movie games, where you are just playing through a story, or as I'd like to put it: you're playing through somebody else's story.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22682 Posts

I'm ready for more Ken Levine games... Bioshock was a very entertaining run of games... This looks inspired by that, but with a well written narrative and a little risk taking in the gameplay I think it could be aces.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k: most people here are whiners. I mean this concept here done like when? 11 years ago?

wonder why developers making same old live service MTX games.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21  Edited By texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14899 Posts

This game should be NOTHING like Infinite.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Litchie

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Litchie said:

The way Ken Levine is talking is that they are taking concepts like the AI Director in Left 4 Dead, or even Helldivers, where the world actively reacts to what the player is doing.

I don't even notice any AI director in Helldivers or L4D. It's defintely not something that hypes me. To me it's just a tool that makes the game move.

@R4gn4r0k said:

Moreso in a singleplayer game with NPCs and characters actively reacting to how you are playing

I expect all NPCs in all games to have some form of reaction to the player. Again, not something that hypes me, or even sounds cool. Yeah, if they react more to how the player plays, I guess that's.. cool? Maybe?

@R4gn4r0k said:

It could be the cure to all this linearity in movie games, where you are just playing through a story, or as I'd like to put it: you're playing through somebody else's story.

I don't understand. This will be a game with a story being presented to the player. You will not create your own story. There might be options to the story that the developer have prepared, perhaps? That's been done many times before in many other games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44175 Posts

I really enjoyed the Bioshock games so I’m definitely keeping my eye on this.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ghosts4ever
Loading Video...

More gameplay and it looks great.

yes it doesnot looks like masterpiece or best thing ever but for once we get SP story driven FPS.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hardwenzen

@ghosts4ever said:
Loading Video...

yes it doesnot looks like masterpiece or best thing ever but for once we get SP story driven FPS.

Weren't you bitchin about Bioshock being too casual?

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11289 Posts

@davillain: My friend,

expecting Bioshock level quality from Atomic Heart is like buying Lords of the Fallen expecting Elden Ring quality.

From Software and Miyzaki-San are the kings of Soulslikes (obviously)

Ken Levine is the king of shooter/RPG/political/atmospheric dystopias.

I too tried Atomic Heart (free on GamePass, thank you Phil) and also Dishonoured and Deathloop becasue they too, remind of Bioshock (For some reason people get pissed off when I say Arkane games look like wannabe Bioshock games). But I think they were all mediocre.

Bioshock and especially Bioshock Infinite are two of top 3 favourite FPS games of all time.

Judas will be a masterpiece.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mrbojangles25

@Pedro said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

The game looked great but it was trying too hard to pander to the lowest and loudest common denominator in gaming. If only they had a consultant company to help them.😏

If only.

*inconspicuous whistling*

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mozelleple112

@rmpumper:

Man you guys need to give a rest with the desire of something being so unique.

Miyazaki makes the same games over and over (his 7 games from 2009 to 2022). And guess what... I want Miyazaki to make more of the same. Sekiro 2, Bloodborne 2. Elden Ring 2, give me all of them. (I don't want him to try something new, like that shitty VR game he made for Sony)

Soulslikes is Miyazaki's thing. Its what he does best and he should keep doing it.

Stealth action is Kojima's thing (pls make Death Stranding 2 more like MGS6, Kojima...)

And RPG/narrative driven single player first person shooters in a moody atmosphere, politically themed post-apocolyptic dystopia that's steampunk / dieselpunk with magic elements and sentient dolls/robots is Ken Levine's thing.

We haven't seen him make a game like this since 2013. THat's 11 years ago. We really, really want another game like Bioshock.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2136 Posts

@Mozelleple112: That's fine, I'm interested in this game as well, but let's not pretend that it's some kind of visionary project.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ghosts4ever

@hardwenzen: Said again its not looking like masterpieice or anything. just 8/10 good game.

its no STALKER 2 of course.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 R4gn4r0k

@Litchie: I think you mean binary reaction:

They react to you one way in stealth

They react to you another way in combat

So many games have this style of gameplay where it's a binary stealth/action choice:

TLOU, Days gone, Horizon, Wolfenstein, and the list goes on.

This game reads more like a immersive sim, which offers an infinite way a level can play out.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k
@ghosts4ever said:

@R4gn4r0k: most people here are whiners. I mean this concept here done like when? 11 years ago?

I was reading a list yesterday titled 'the best fps you can play right now'

It had stuff like Overwatch, COD and Valorant...

I was flabbergasted, at loss for words.

I'm looking forward to games like STK 2, Judas, industria 2 and Phantom Liberty; screw all these live service trash games full of clown skins.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Litchie

@R4gn4r0k: Oh yeah, that could be nice. Curious about the roguelite elements as well. Never played Deathloop, which I saw you mention.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 R4gn4r0k

@Litchie said:

@R4gn4r0k: Oh yeah, that could be nice. Curious about the roguelite elements as well. Never played Deathloop, which I saw you mention.

Oh I love immersive sims, and System Shock from last year might be one of my favourite games of all time.

I listened to that whole 2 and a half hour interview with Ken yesterday, if everything he plans and wants comes true, this might be something special for real. But yeah it remains to be seen as the stretch between a devs ambitions and the final game is a long one :)

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I was reading a list yesterday titled 'the best fps you can play right now'

It had stuff like Overwatch, COD and Valorant...

I was flabbergasted, at loss for words.

I'm looking forward to games like STK 2, Judas, industria 2 and Phantom Liberty; screw all these live service trash games full of clown skins.

STALKER 2, Judas, clockwork and Metro 4 are what im mostly looking forward to but for unnanounced game its next Id game whatever they are doing Quake reboot or Doom 3.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
Loading Video...

So boring. Lighting bad as well, can barely see what is going on.

More pointless iron-sights.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
Loading Video...

ok? lets get back to some 2d indie crap that run on mobile phones.

stiill its not looking masterpiece.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By uninspiredcup
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
Loading Video...

This is true my friend, rather play Doom 64 or some such over this as not hobbling around 2 miles an hour with iron-sights at people 3 feet away.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
Loading Video...

This is true my friend, rather play Doom 64 or some such over this as not hobbling around 2 miles an hour with iron-sights at people 3 feet away.

better try Robocop. excellent game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
Loading Video...

better try Robocop. excellent game.

Robocop wins out of nostalgia. Could be mid, wouldn't care.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup:

Loading Video...

Im more interested in clockwork. it looks more immersive, more deeper, unique and better setting/universe.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Mozelleple112

@rmpumper: Oh yeah, on that we can agree. This is nothing new, and I am glad it is not. I would rather we get another Ken Levine masterpiece (he's basically been making the same exact game since 1999 lol) than for him to do something completely new and out of his element.

its 11 years since his last proper game so this should be really good imo.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hardwenzen

@ghosts4ever said:

@uninspiredcup:

Loading Video...

Im more interested in clockwork. it looks more immersive, more deeper, unique and better setting/universe.

It will be another 7/10 game.