Joined the "master race". Went back

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DillonShwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DillonShwing
Member since 2010 • 565 Posts

I'd been a console gamer my entire life but after browsing various gaming sites and forums over the years I became pretty interested in PC gaming. I remember a little bit after Oblivion came out there were all these "incredible" mods being released that made me quite jealous of everyone experiencing the game on PC. Years later and tons of comparison videos later I decided to make the jump and build a gaming PC. I built myself quite a powerful machine. i5 3570k OC'd to 4.3 ghz, GTX 670ftw GPU, 12 gigs of ram....I mean this shit was pretty nice, well to me at least. Anyways, after hours and hours of putting the PC together and discovering I had a faulty PSU I was finally ready to experience the master race.

I was blown away. With a few mods I had Skyrim looking infinitely superior to the Xbox 360 version I was used to. Same scenario with tons of games I had already experienced on consoles. Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout, Far Cry, Crysis, etc. The "new toy" effect lasted about 3 months before I started to see some glaring flaws with my new hobby. No matter how hard I tried I just could not get used to using KB/M for video games. It just felt foreign to me. Yes obviously I could plug in an Xbox 360 controller and play many games like that but in an online FPS like battlefield I would get absolutely murdered by people using KB/M. It also bothered me the way that almost every FPS I played used server browsers as opposed to a matchmaking system similar to Halo...not to mention multiplayer felt a little unbalanced seeing as how there were infinite hardware combinations people could be using to play the same game as me. I also came to the realization that I had spent an assload of money to basically play better looking versions of games I had already played the shit out of (TES, Fallout) with an occasional exclusive indie game in the mix.,

But by far the biggest annoyance I experienced as a PC gamer was the constant need to always have everything looking and running as perfect as possible. I think this was definitely more of personal gripe than anything but I'm a perfectionist and have a bit of an obsessive personality so I'd find myself observing games rather than playing them. I'd find myself sitting there and monitoring FPS/visuals rather than actually playing and immersing myself in the game. Anytime I'd see an inconsistency I'd feel this urge to back out to the launcher and mess around with settings until I'd get it to run smoothly but then I'd be bummed out that the game wasn't running at it's full potential and THEN I'd feel like a hardware upgrade was needed to run newer games at their absolute peak. Kinda a vicious cycle. The hassle of it all was infuriating. I missed the "plug in and play" vibe of consoles and I missed having money.

I've been back exclusively on consoles for about a year now and have no plans of ever going back to PC. I definitely miss those Steam sales and whatnot but I don't miss the hassle and stress of PC gaming. It definitely had it's perks but I guess it just wasn't for me. Anybody else ever go back to consoles after PC gaming?

TL;DR: PC Gaming was too much of a hassle. Went back to consoles. Anyone else in the same boat

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

I did. Solely for simplicity's sake. PC gaming was great, but I found myself using my PC for home theatre purposes, more and more.

Don't get me wrong, when I can build a new PC, I expect to use all systems again. Just don't have the cashola ATM.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I mostly just stick with my PC now. I just like having this option:

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

cool story bro

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Move this tripe to blog please. Delete/lock.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Yeah I get that obsessive personality thing while playing PC sometimes also, not as bad as you, mostly on first person shooter games. I guess that is why I pick and choose what games to get on console and what to get on Pc, it also helps when you stick it out and your hardware gets a little older, then frame drops are understandable and easier to take in.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

I built my first PC in 2008 after being a console gamer all my life,haven´t came back since and I doubt I will,it´s such a far better experience.

Not to mention that almost everything you mention there is opinion based,I had no such troubles.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
@Desmonic said:

There is only one TRUE Master Raceâ„¢ TC.

Also, tl;dr.

Yes, the HUMAN RACE!! LOL!!!

HUMAN RACE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>> PC > PS4> XB1> XBox 360> PS3> Wii> Wii u> Steam Box>>>> Everything.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

it can get tiring signing petitions every month

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46282 Posts

I disagree. It's great that I can have the best graphics on PC, but I have no problem going back to older games and older graphics. Recently I played a lot of games from the launch days of the previous gen: AC1, Gears of War 1, COD 2. But sometimes I go back to even older graphics (gamecube, SNES, DS, ...) and I don't care that they look that way.

Then I go and play games like Crysis 3 or Metro Last Light and I can put my settings close to maxing it out on my 3 year old PC. Sure, I'd like to completely max it out, but is that worth the upgrade ? hell no

So even if I do enjoy the best graphics, it doesn't mean that I need to have the best graphics constantly.

And if you DO feel that way, I don't see how going back to console gaming is a solution to that problem.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

That sucks that you cannot get use to the most important user to pc interface. do you not use a computer in everyday life or at work? I grew up with both consoles and pc so I can't say I see it the same way.... the KB/M offer so much more.

The hardware configurations comparison is just lame.. mayaswell not play against the host on your superior "matchmaking games" then ... because thats a much bigger disadvantage.... or well, anyone with better latency than you... similar minor comparison.

as far as matchmaking goes... it suits small skirmish games, but larger FPS games ... lobbys are so much better... yes, you don't auto-balance at the start of a round, most servers try to do that (good ones anyway) ... but server lobbys give you a MUCH better sense of community. favourite the good servers you find, and oh... now you are regular, meet regulars, ahve a laugh... not just shoved into a lobby where all manor of trolls and kids with no real reason or to see them again.

still preferences is one thing. if you can't handle the controls I can see why you have gone back... given that most pc-only games... focus on those controls....

did you even try gaming genres out of your comfort zone? I don't see any signs of you playing an non-console games...

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Cool, I went to PC and never looked abck and have never gamed as much in my life or had as enjoyable experience

Thoughts and opinions are cool like that

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jankarcop

@ghostwarrior786 said:

it can get even more tiring not getting any games

http://systemwarsmagazine.com/gamespot-reviews-spreadsheet/

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

Move this tripe to blog please. Delete/lock.

Seconded. Mods get on it!

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Your standards and opinions. Good for you.

I was a console gamer, not anymore and never will be. Well, I do have a PS3 to enjoy but it's not my main platform. For the exclusives.

DillonShwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DillonShwing

@MBirdy88: Played a few exclusive PC titles. Amnesia was one that I loved but it was nothing that couldn't have been done on consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Yea... I want an answer and some logic.

You bought a gaming pc... to play the games you could already play? and nothing unique to the platform?

Where are the MMOs, Mobas, Strategy (all kinds), simulations, the bigger amount of indie and free2play games (that are actually decent and not milkage) ....

All of us go through that "oh i must run it perfect" stage... that wares off after awhile... not that you should of had any problems iwth modern games with an upgrade last year... what did you even buy?

I just see elder scrolls games, fallout .... far cry ect.... while they are miles better with mods.... you are limiting yourself ot the same old you could play on consoles.. and you wonder why you are underwhelmed?

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

i have a ps4/x1? lol ps3/x360 have plenty of games, please remind me of the great pc exclusives again haha

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I built a PC to play games on PC.

Sorry you went into it for different reasons.

DillonShwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DillonShwing

@MBirdy88: Tried various MMO's. Found out it's just not the genre for me. Tried League of Legends. Hated it.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Welcome back to the superior race.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@gameofthering said:

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jankarcop

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Jankarcop said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

please remind me of the great pc exclusives again haha

Search GS. It had more great+ than all 3 consoles combined last gen.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Far too much begging goes on within the beggar race also. Always waiting on, and signing petitionsfor console game ports...hoping they come. Just not fun. And all the time spent creating the perfect rig...when the biggest part of the pc library are indies like nidhogg, which can run on a calculator.

Definitely made the right choice. Glad to have you back.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jankarcop

@DillonShwing said:

@MBirdy88: Played a few exclusive PC titles. Amnesia was one that I loved but it was nothing that couldn't have been done on consoles.

Most mobas, rts, sim, and mmo can't and aren't done on consoles....

Most multiplat FPS are an entirely different animal on PC.

Seems like you merely didn't like the complex genres it had to offer or the highly competitive nature (which consoles lack), and had to go back to the safe movie-games.

There isn't a problem with this, it happens.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Well, I have had every major console (and Microcomputer!) since the Atari 2600 and after last gen I cant stand console gaming or the over hyped exclusives. I gave the consoles to my nephew because I never had time for them over my PC and I doubt ill ever buy another console again. You wont see me making threads about it though...

To each their own.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

Far too much begging goes on within the beggar race also. Always waiting on, and signing petitionsfor console game ports...hoping they come. Just not fun. And all the time spent creating the perfect rig...when the biggest part of the pc library are indies like nidhogg, which can run on a calculator.

Nothing to wait on,always more good games over consoles

More AE,AAE,AAAE

inb4 he ignores that fact

And lol @ calling indies on PC while that pretty much sums up the PS4. Bestest game currently on PS4? 8.0 Resogun

DillonShwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DillonShwing
@Jankarcop said:

@DillonShwing said:

Most mobas, rts, sim, and mmo can't and aren't done on consoles....

Most multiplat FPS are an entirely different animal on PC.

Seems like you merely didn't like the complex genres it had to offer or the highly competitive nature (which consoles lack), and had to go back to the safe movie-games.

There isn't a problem with this, it happens.

I dunno man. Halo 2 and 3 were incredibly competitive in their prime.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@MonsieurX: gonna answer my question or keep puppet dancing for another month?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@Shielder7 said:

@gameofthering said:

DRM is only bad when it's done badly like Uplay.

Steam is a fantastic DRM service

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jankarcop

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Nothing to wait on,always more good games over consoles

More AE,AAE,AAAE

inb4 he ignores that fact

And lol @ calling indies on PC while that pretty much sums up the PS4. Bestest game currently on PS4? 8.0 Resogun

He won't respond. He never does.

He just gets bitchslapped around like the little fail troll he is.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 R4gn4r0k

@seanmcloughlin said:

Cool, I went to PC and never looked abck and have never gamed as much in my life or had as enjoyable experience

That's great to hear :)

How are you enjoying your 3DS and Vita ?

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

Did I read the OP correctly?

1.) You didn't get comfortable with KB&M?

2.) You couldn't deal with your own obsessive worrying about FPS and settings?

3.) Because of mostly #2, PC gaming was a "hassle"?

(1) These things come with time, do they not? It's hard to imagine spending meaningful time with a KB&M and *not* being able to adjust to it. (2) Why would a console solve this for you? If you want to not think about settings, pick a default setting (High/Very High/Ultra are options in just about every PC game) or let the game set your settings for you? Why would you willfully want to accept the equivalent of Low/Medium settings by playing on a console, and why would that offer more peace of mind?

I understand if it's really about not wanting to use a KB&M and if you couldn't seem to hang with people while using a controller. But the second reason just sounds silly. And suggesting PC gaming is a hassle -- not because of driver problems or difficulty setting up your system or hardware performance issues -- but because you couldn't cope with the stress of wanting to maximize your own settings constantly (which is really just a personal problem) is the height of "first world problems" ridiculousness. All you had to do was turn off fraps or whatever you're using and enjoy the game. Geez.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@DillonShwing said:

But by far the biggest annoyance I experienced as a PC gamer was the constant need to always have everything looking and running as perfect as possible. I think this was definitely more of personal gripe than anything but I'm a perfectionist and have a bit of an obsessive personality so I'd find myself observing games rather than playing them. I'd find myself sitting there and monitoring FPS/visuals rather than actually playing and immersing myself in the game. Anytime I'd see an inconsistency I'd feel this urge to back out to the launcher and mess around with settings until I'd get it to run smoothly but then I'd be bummed out that the game wasn't running at it's full potential and THEN I'd feel like a hardware upgrade was needed to run newer games at their absolute peak. Kinda a vicious cycle. The hassle of it all was infuriating. I missed the "plug in and play" vibe of consoles and I missed having money.

The problem's with you, not the platform if you feel you have to obsess over a PC game's looks and performance. I usually set my settings when I first install the game. I may adjust a few settings during the the first few times I play a game. But, once I've settled on the settings I like, I pretty much keep those settings.

It's far better to have the option to change settings than be stuck with whatever the developer sees fit.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MonsieurX

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX: gonna answer my question or keep puppet dancing for another month?

Which one?

Going to avoid the facts that I post?

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

I can see that. Sometimes I feel like I spend more time tweaking the graphics than actually playing my game.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

@DillonShwing said:

TL;DR: PC Gaming was too much of a hassle. Went back to consoles. Anyone else in the same boat

Nope I was the exact opposite. I went PC gaming and my consoles began to collect dust. I only dust them off the play an exclusive I really like. Beside TLOU the last console game I played was probably 1 year and half ago.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@R4gn4r0k said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

That's great to hear :)

How are you enjoying your 3DS and Vita ?

Honestly? I haven't played either in weeks. I haven't had the time to play anything properly in my spare time between college and youtube. I do wanna get bravely default though and maybe Toukiden (is that right?). Really great little systems though

I bought a PS4 today too which should be delivered tomorrow because I'm an idiot and love back logs apparently haha

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@DillonShwing said:

The problem's with you, not the platform if you feel you have to obsess over a PC game's looks and performance. I usually set my settings when I first install the game. I may adjust a few settings during the the first few times I play a game. But, once I've settled on the settings I like, I pretty much keep those settings.

It's far better to have the option to change settings than be stuck with whatever the developer sees fit.

Yep.

I may fiddle with settings while using FRAPS for 10-15 minutes just to make sure I'm getting as many settings turned on while running at native resolution as I can. Once I see performance staying in the 50-60fps range in heavy action areas, I'm done. FRAPS is never turned on again. And with a GPU as good as the OP's, Ultra settings with everything on should have given him 60fps+ @ native resolutions in 95% of PC games. Nothing left to wrestle with other than just how much AA/AF you want and of what type.

Spending more time that that is just strange to me.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jankarcop

Change settings from max-ultra, mess around with 50-60fps+

VS.

Stuck at 720p and 20-30 fps.

man, the OP had such a crazy dilemma.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@Dreams-Visions said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@DillonShwing said:

Yep.

I may fiddle with settings while using FRAPS for 10-15 minutes just to make sure I'm getting as many settings turned on while running at native resolution as I can. Once I see performance staying in the 50-60fps range in heavy action areas, I'm done. FRAPS is never turned on again. And with a GPU as good as the OP's, Ultra settings with everything on should have given him 60fps+ @ native resolutions in 95% of PC games. Nothing left to wrestle with other than just how much AA/AF you want and of what type.

Spending more time that that is just strange to me.

The only reason I keep FRAPS running is if I run into a game scene I like. I'd like to capture it for posterity (or sometimes turn it into a wallpaper). Far Cry 3 gets a lot of screen capture love from me.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@seanmcloughlin said:

Honestly? I haven't played either in weeks. I haven't had the time to play anything properly in my spare time between college and youtube. I do wanna get bravely default though and maybe Toukiden (is that right?). Really great little systems though

I bought a PS4 today too which should be delivered tomorrow because I'm an idiot and love back logs apparently haha

Lol, I'm the same. Buying new systems before even finishing the games on the old ones. But I think I really CAN hold out on an Xbone/PS4 until I finish all my 360/PS3 games first. I hope.

Did you buy one for MGS V ?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MonsieurX

@juarbles said:

The problem is that you used to play on the 360. That fact alone makes you unable to appreciate what real gaming is all about. You are what can be known as a non-gamer, a person who thinks he knows what gaming is but because he was spoiled by the low standards of those in the xbone lineage his taste is now useless and what you experience is not gaming but a sorry excuse for lame visual stimulation more intended for lesser life forms.

-4/10,you should try something new

@juarbles said:

By the way, there's also a master race in the console family but I'm afraid that it is exclusive to the Sony offerings.

Family,Sony?

Besides LBP and The Book Of Spells...

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

I can see how that would happen. Especially the part about being bothered by the variety of settings you can control. Consoles offer virtually no freedom to the end user aside from the intended in game inputs that constitute gameplay. No fiddling with visual details or anything like that.

However for me, having been gaming on both consoles and PC for as many of my 26 years as I can remember, I've always thought of PCs and consoles as being good for different things. For instance, playing a JRPG or a sports game still feels incredibly weird to me when I'm doing it via my gaming rig, where as trying to play Civilization on the Xbox 360 a few years back was just innately dumb in and of itself.

I don't get this idea that one is "either or" when it comes to console or PC gaming.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MonsieurX

@juarbles said:

@MonsieurX said:

@juarbles said:

The problem is that you used to play on the 360. That fact alone makes you unable to appreciate what real gaming is all about. You are what can be known as a non-gamer, a person who thinks he knows what gaming is but because he was spoiled by the low standards of those in the xbone lineage his taste is now useless and what you experience is not gaming but a sorry excuse for lame visual stimulation more intended for lesser life forms.

-4/10,you should try something new

@juarbles said:

By the way, there's also a master race in the console family but I'm afraid that it is exclusive to the Sony offerings.

Family,Sony?

Besides LBP and The Book Of Spells...

How many times do I have to repeat myself. You xboners are incapable of understanding what real gaming is about. Your confusion arises from your own intrinsic limitations. Don't blame me.

Missed the point completely,surprising.