JOHN CARPENTER wants to make a DEAD SPACE film

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

source

gaf

John Carpenter, one of the most celebrated film directors of the past 50 years is interested in making a Dead Space movie. That last sentence is surely enough to send most Dead Space fans into euphoria, well the best part is its true. In a recent interview with Game Informer, Carpenter expressed interest in taking the popular survival horror franchise and adapting it for the big screen.

[quote=""]You know its great Carpenter said with regards to the Dead Space franchise, hes apparently a big fan.

The first game was more I guess it was like Alien but not quite. It was a little different than that.

I maintain that Dead Space would just make a great movie because you have these people coming onto an abandoned, shut-down space ship and they have to start it up and somethings on board. Its just great stuff.

I would love to make Dead Space [into a film], Ill tell you that right now. That one is ready-made.

Its pretty uncommon to see a director of Carpenters stature express interest in adapting a videogame licence in general. Also considering hes a fan of the franchise, a Carpenter lead Dead Space film could potentially be something truly fantastic. It would be pretty cool to see the mind behind the 1982 Scifi horror masterpiece The Thing, arguably the biggest influence on the Dead Space franchise, tackle the adaptation.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts
Too bad his most recent films have been complete crap.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I don't think Dead Space has a good enough story and concept to be adapted into an actual film.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

I think someone already made a Dead Space film....oh, that is right, it was called Alien. I feel like making a Dead Space film would be redundant because the whole thing would feel too similar to Alien and Aliens.

beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 beganoo
Member since 2009 • 1642 Posts

Yes please !

things-drink-1.gif

jiz.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

James Cameron or gtfo.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
1) I guess he must be broke. It's not like he's been very interested in working lately. 2) I guess I'd probably be more excited if he'd directed anything of any significance within the last 20 years. Now that I think about it, modt of his movies weren't that good, with his later movies being almost total crap. If he ever really "had it", he's probably lost it. 3) And as much as I liked the games, is Dead Space really a franchise that warrants a movie treatment? I mean...from a storytelling point of view, Dead Space is kind of crap as well. Is THIS really the kind of thing that gets Carpenter's gears running? During those decades of barely doing $***, you'd think the man would be at least be able to come up with some more interesting ideas than an adaptation of a B-rate videogame franchise.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

I don't think Dead Space has a good enough story and concept to be adapted into an actual film.

JangoWuzHere

its already been done anyways

event-horizon-302761.jpg

beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 beganoo
Member since 2009 • 1642 Posts

1) I guess he must be broke. It's not like he's been very interested in working lately. 2) I guess I'd probably be more excited if he'd directed anything of any significance within the last 20 years. Now that I think about it, modt of his movies weren't that good, with his later movies being almost total crap. If he ever really "had it", he's probably lost it. MrGeezer

Dude the the thing is one of the best horror movies of all time and the best syfy horror by far (yes better the alien imo).

The suspense in that movie beyond genius.

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

After the 80's Carpenter went to shit.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
John Carpenter has been on steady systematic decline ever since They Live, that was his last good film and that was like 25 years ago!!! I agree that Dead Space doesn't have good enough story and concept / character depth to be transformed into a movie adaptation. Its visuals and atmosphere are extremely tempting to do it so, but how to do it in order to be compelling? There is little room for good horror movies these days, and it has been like that since many years, and to mix horror with action is a sure recipe for epic fail, especially if you focus more on the atrocities of the monsters, more than on the plot and the characters itself. Ironically, The Thing could serve as a role model here, but Carpenter is too senile now to bring this spark back. He has always been a hit-and-miss director with very chimaeric career.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrGeezer

Dude the the thing is one of the best horror movies of all time and the best syfy horror by far (yes better the alien imo).

beganoo
I love The Thing, but even Shyamalan had his Sixth Sense. Go through Carpenter's career and list the genuinely good movies that people are actually excited about, and the list is fairly small. There's Halloween, The Thing, Escape From New York. And while I haven't seen it, I hear people talking fondly about The Fog as well, so let's throw that in there too. What do those movies have in common? They were all early in his career, and he hasn't done much that was good after that. Hell, even cult classics like They Live and Big Trouble in Little China were not particularly good and are loved in large part because of how incredibly f***ing silly they were. I'm sorry, but the man is more irrelevant than R.E.M.
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Salt_The_Fries
[QUOTE="beganoo"]

MrGeezer
but even Shyamalan had his Sixth Sense.

Yes, but the Sixth Sense is a total rip-off of two movies that is shocking aren't still more known despite who played in them: Jacob's Ladder starring Tim Robbins from 1990 and Pure Formality starring Roman Polanski and Gerard Depardieu from 1994. This is EXACTLY the same formula, the problem is those movies weren't box office hits because they didn't find its audience at the time, but Shyamalan shamelessly copied this "WINNING FORMULA" for the 3rd time, employed big movie star Bruce Willis, hyped that little Osmond kid and got lucky.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MrGeezer
Also, all this seems to be saying is that he would be interested in doing a Dead Space movie. Without seeing the entire interview, that doesn't mean he's trying to get a Dead Space movie made and it doesn't even mean he'd take the job if he was offered it.
dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts
could been worse. could of been Sam Raimi.
cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

JangoWuzHere

:lol: As if you need a modern day Heart of Darkness in order to get made into a movie! Have you seen the trash that Hollywood pumps out year after year!? :lol:

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

cfisher2833

:lol: As if you need a modern day Heart of Darkness in order to get made into a movie! Have you seen the trash that Hollywood pumps out year after year!? :lol:

For instance... Resident Evil. Loved the first then it went like the series...... down HILL
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Salt_The_Fries
[QUOTE="cfisher2833"]

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

dobzilian

For instance... Resident Evil. Loved the first then it went like the series...... down HILL

Resident Evil 1 was far superior to the rest but it still was crap. A much better crap than the rest, but still.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#19 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
dead space universe has a great backstory. Would def be interested in a movie.
jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

Dead Space is 30% Story and 70% atmosphere. If the movie can get the part about atmosphere right, it doesn't necessarily need a deep story.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

The game does share a few similarities with The Thing, which is my favorite Carpenter film after Big Trouble in Little China. Personally though, I think James Cameron would make a better film with the Dead Space franchise.

Razor_defiace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Razor_defiace
Member since 2004 • 1618 Posts

Game to movie adaptations pretty much always sucked. I'm not holding any hope for this one either. 

They can make a good film out of Dead Space, but they need to distance themselves from the crap story of the last games while not putting a major focus on action. Basically make another "The shining in space". 

Even if it sucks, another Event Horizon won't be a bad thing compared to a full blown action game adaptation with next to zero atmosphere or plot. But like I said, I kinda doubt Hollywood people care about making a quality film based off a video game.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

The game does share a few similarities with The Thing, which is my favorite Carpenter film after Big Trouble in Little China. Personally though, I think James Cameron would make a better film with the Dead Space franchise.

pelvist

James Cameron is the better director, but John Carpenter is more well known for having a horrific imagination. If John Carpenter makes it, the movie will be disturbing. But the movie itself may not necessarily be good.

Jack-Burton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jack-Burton
Member since 2013 • 2435 Posts
Starring me
Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

The Thing is one of my favorite movies of all time. I know it was over 30 years ago, but maybe Carpenter has another gem left in him.

gamespot4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gamespot4life
Member since 2007 • 1301 Posts

JangoWuzHere

There is 2 cartoon movies out on netflix and they are both rly good. This is a great idea

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
I hope it doesn't have zombies shooting rifles though. Dead Space has an amazing universe and story? well build one cuz it has none.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts
Event Horizon was awesome.
KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#30 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

I'll like a Dead Space movie and Mass Effect... if done right.

Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts
Too bad his most recent films have been complete crap.DragonfireXZ95
Most of his films are complete crap, but then again he did make The Thing which is as good as Alien.
bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]1) I guess he must be broke. It's not like he's been very interested in working lately. 2) I guess I'd probably be more excited if he'd directed anything of any significance within the last 20 years. Now that I think about it, modt of his movies weren't that good, with his later movies being almost total crap. If he ever really "had it", he's probably lost it. beganoo

seriously the thing is good and his halloween films were good, but seriously he ain't done well lately, and alot of his films are boring.

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#33 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

He's past his prime. He reminds of an aging boxer who should have retired years ago

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

jhcho2

James Cameron is the better director, but John Carpenter is more well known for having a horrific imagination. If John Carpenter makes it, the movie will be disturbing. But the movie itself may not necessarily be good.

Judging from James Cameron's last few movies, this one wouldn't be any good either. I think they should give it to Guillermo Del Toro or even Ridley Scott(Even though Prometheus was kind of disappointing).
Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts
Music would be epic
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="jhcho2"]

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

DragonfireXZ95

Judging from James Cameron's last few movies, this one wouldn't be any good either. I think they should give it to Guillermo Del Toro or even Ridley Scott(Even though Prometheus was kind of disappointing).

Kind of? Prometheus was a train wreckage of suckage in which it felt like he didn't even read the script.. To realize how stupid the majority of the characters are.. There shouldn't be a Dead Space movie.. Period.

Bruce_Benzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bruce_Benzing
Member since 2012 • 1731 Posts

Are we talking the Halloween and The Fog John Carpenter or the Ghosts of Mars and Prince of Darkness John Carpenter?

jessejay420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jessejay420
Member since 2011 • 4091 Posts

After the 80's Carpenter went to shit.

spookykid143
ghosts of mars was an ok movie.i liked it.
ClassicRockFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ClassicRockFTW
Member since 2012 • 1106 Posts

The Thing and Escape from Escape from New York are among my favourites

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#41 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
if he wants to make another box office failure, it's his choice
Jack-Burton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jack-Burton
Member since 2013 • 2435 Posts
if he wants to make another box office failure, it's his choiceyellosnolvr
MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

tumblr_lhsyz7nkhb1qg39ewo1_500.gif

tumblr_lhsz9wcNtw1qg39ewo1_500.gif

the-thing-2.gif

I want to see more of these very good practical effects in a Dead Space movie.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

tumblr_lhsyz7nkhb1qg39ewo1_500.gif

tumblr_lhsz9wcNtw1qg39ewo1_500.gif

the-thing-2.gif

MacBoomStick

Freaking LOVE The Thing! Best special effects EVER!

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#45 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

It could probably be solid but the fact is that Dead Space literally borrows from many sci fi horror movies, so if they adapted the first game, rather than make an original story in that universe, it would be a "been there, done that" kind of movie. It works for games, sure, because there aren't tons of horror games like it but for movies? Redundancy to the max.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

[QUOTE="MacBoomStick"]

LostProphetFLCL

Freaking LOVE The Thing! Best special effects EVER!

Indeed, the very best CGI isn't distracting, but the very best special effects look real. I wish practical effects hadn't been almost totally dumped by Hollywood. The Thing remake had terrible looking CGI, and when you watch films like Spiderman and Harry Potter today it looks laughable and they are only 10 years old. I imagine films like Transformers, The Avengers and the day after tomorrow will look just as bad in 10 years time.
Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Too bad his most recent films have been complete crap.DragonfireXZ95

This.

I love John Carpenter and he has made some true classics (Halloween, Big Trouble in Little China, Thing, They Live, Escape From New York) but he's lost his touch.

That said I can't think of any other director I would want to see make a Dead Space movie. Paul Verhoeven maybe?

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

James Cameron or gtfo.

Ballroompirate

It has to have horror, not just mindless action.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

There is nothing to really drive a dead space movie tbh. Man walks through space station for 2 hours and shoots things while endlessly back tracking. that sounds boring.

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

The 2 cartoons they made were amazing. Looking forward to see ''real'' necromorphs slaughtering actors