John Carmack:You need a 3.68 Teraflop GPU to match PS4's GPU

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 LordOfPoms
Member since 2013 • 1138 Posts
[QUOTE="LordOfPoms"][QUOTE="Mrmedia01"]

John is a smart man. I trust him. Afterall come on he knows more about this stuff than any of us in this forum.

clyde46
He's a legend among PC developers and a coding genius. The dude knows his stuff.

Shame he hasn't made a good game for a good number of years.

No, he hasn't. :(
SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

[QUOTE="infinite884"]

kind of think Carmack knows more about GPU's then everyone who claims he's wrong. PC gamers just been owned, just go in the corner and be quiet

clyde46

Who are you?

He's just someone who pointed that John Carmack owned hermits and you should go in the corner and be quiet.

Ok, j/k, but now, seriously, how can people here deny that PC's can't match consoles when given equal hardware, or even a somewhat superior hardware?

It's common knowledge: you need something far stronger to actually surpass them.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E1rvJAMC78

:cool: if anyone hasn't seen it :lol:

infinite884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 infinite884
Member since 2008 • 701 Posts
[QUOTE="infinite884"]

kind of think Carmack knows more about GPU's then everyone who claims he's wrong. PC gamers just been owned, just go in the corner and be quiet

clyde46
Who are you?

You know who I am, he's going to be back today don't worry
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="LordOfPoms"][QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="LordOfPoms"] He's a legend among PC developers and a coding genius. The dude knows his stuff.

Shame he hasn't made a good game for a good number of years.

What does he do with his time now? I know he wanted to do something with the Occlus Rift.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 clyde46
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="infinite884"]

infinite884
Who are you?

So you are suspension dodging? Reported.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]Lets wait and see huh? :) Remember before the last launch when the cell would end the PC, cure cancer and bring world peace?SambaLele

Wait and see? You're a level 67, you didn't start playing yesterday.

You probably already saw many generations of consoles, and how the hardware ends up being utilized in a much more optmized way than PC hardware.

Like I mentioned in another thread, try to run Bioshock Infinite, with all the features the 360/PS3 have on, on 720p, with a 2005 PC and see what you get.

One guy tried to bring a video of a system with a Intel i5 2430M + Radeon HD 6470M (which is 6 generations ahead of 360's GPU) and still couldn't match it.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29421263/tech-analysis-watch-dogs-on-playstation-4?msg_id=341051738#341051738

EDIT: I'm not saying that new consoles are superior to everything that's gonna be on the market for years, only that Carmack is saying the truth. You need a 2x stronger hardware (maybe even more than that) to match consoles.

Yes I've seen lots of consoles launch with all kinds of claims vs PC's. Remember the cell? Remember what was claimed? I agreed that consoles are more optimised but at the same time the specs that are claimed are often neither really true or are hamstrung in some way by chokepoints in parts of that hardware.
Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#58 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts
[QUOTE="mastershake575"]

What a complete joke. My 8600GTS of last generation was basically a 7800 with unified shaders and I ran most games better than the consoles (and this was with the consoles NOT using pc architecture like they are this generation......).

Shewgenja
I was fairly certain that NVidia's first unified pipeline was in the 200 series.

No , NVIDIA's first unified architecture was in the 8000 series GPU the 8800gt/gts/gtx was the greatest gpu for a long time. It was the first DirectX 10 card and used a unified super-scaler shader pipeline utilizing shader model 4, and delivering a crazy performance boost from the last series of cards. For mastershake575 - Your 8600gts would of smoked a 7800 series card, no question about it . It was using a new unified architecture, where processes weren't wasted like the older cards. The ps3 used a 6800 ultra or 7800 equivalent card for the gpu.. It was the cell combo that made it great, but only some games took advantage of that, because of difficulties in learning it. The 8800gt (or rebranded 9800gt) was a cheap way($200) to play games near max for years. It was the best bang for your buck. I owned a 8800gts 640mb and didn't upgrade to a new gpu until this year! Since 2007 I was running an nvidia 8800 series GPU and could run every game. Games like Far Cry 3, and battlefield 3 made me upgrade because of lack of video ram and no direct x 11 support (I could still run those games though fine, just at lower resolution).
zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

But no 360 or PS3 game anywahere close to Crysis this gen.:( Damn, I'm sure this time they will definitely squeezed teh 2x powah.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="infinite884"]

SambaLele

Who are you?

He's just someone who pointed that John Carmack owned hermits and you should go in the corner and be quiet.

Ok, j/k, but now, seriously, how can people here deny that PC's can't match consoles when given equal hardware, or even a somewhat superior hardware?

It's common knowledge: you need something far stronger to actually surpass them.

On the cpu front yes you do, not on the gpu front there are many examples of gpu's as weak as the current gen consoles getting comparable or better results. http://www.gamespot.com/features/6183499/p-4.html http://www.gamespot.com/features/6183967/p-4.html
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
my PC is and always will be better #dealwithit and #staybutthurt :cool:
infinite884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 infinite884
Member since 2008 • 701 Posts

[QUOTE="infinite884"][QUOTE="clyde46"] Who are you? clyde46

So you are suspension dodging? Reported.

you know who I am, clyde. You know

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] lol even so if we were stuck with a 8600GTS and if those games came to pc it would look better on the 8600GTS then it would have on the current consoles. 04dcarraher

Not without single spec optimization, try again

O yes that's why pc's with gpu's that just as weak as the 360 is able to get comparable results as it.....

The only console system that actually has optimization you can actually see is the PS4.

With multiplats? Lol congrats but that completely ignores the "single spec optimization" part of Carmacks post
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#64 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59022 Posts

Carmack is just spouting propaganda per usual.  ID stopped being relvant the moment they made rage. It's over guys, deal with it.

ManatuBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 ManatuBeard
Member since 2012 • 1121 Posts

[QUOTE="SambaLele"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]Lets wait and see huh? :) Remember before the last launch when the cell would end the PC, cure cancer and bring world peace?blue_hazy_basic

You probably already saw many generations of consoles, and how the hardware ends up being utilized in a much more optmized way than PC hardware.

Like I mentioned in another thread, try to run Bioshock Infinite, with all the features the 360/PS3 have on, on 720p, with a 2005 PC and see what you get.

One guy tried to bring a video of a system with a Intel i5 2430M + Radeon HD 6470M (which is 6 generations ahead of 360's GPU) and still couldn't match it.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29421263/tech-analysis-watch-dogs-on-playstation-4?msg_id=341051738#341051738

EDIT: I'm not saying that new consoles are superior to everything that's gonna be on the market for years, only that Carmack is saying the truth. You need a 2x stronger hardware (maybe even more than that) to match consoles.

Yes I've seen lots of consoles launch with all kinds of claims vs PC's. Remember the cell? Remember what was claimed? I agreed that consoles are more optimised but at the same time the specs that are claimed are often neither really true or are hamstrung in some way by chokepoints in parts of that hardware.

The CELL just took a tiny little bit to be properly used... like 6-7 years... and only some 1st/2nd party studios can real use its full power.

Good thing Sony hired someone with brains to create the PS4!

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

Cows are trying to hang on for dear life. First, they are informed that their console has no in-game advantage over the X1, then they are cursed with a terrible launch line up, and then the news of Sony supporting Iran.

Epic fail

Source:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/sony-admits-selling-iran-131248141.html

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 clyde46

Carmack is just spouting propaganda per usual.  ID stopped being relvant the moment they made rage. It's over guys, deal with it.

uninspiredcup
Carmack is a very intelligent man. Just because you do not agree with what he is saying doesn't make him any less intelligent.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
I'm buying the PS4 for its world class exclusives, I have a gaming PC when performance matters to me.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 clyde46
I'm buying the PS4 for its world class exclusives, I have a gaming PC when performance matters to me. Heil68
And we have a WINRAR!
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
Member since 2013 • 2504 Posts

HMMM who do we believe? non logical, delusional, system war fanboys that dont present absolutely any facts or a very renowned developer who has been in the business for so long? 

stay mad hermts/lemmings, 

John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts
time to give up Father of PC gaming title :P
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

john is running at 3.68 terahype.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

I wish carmack could give a explanation behind this :lol:

&
SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 SambaLele

[QUOTE="SambaLele"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]Lets wait and see huh? :) Remember before the last launch when the cell would end the PC, cure cancer and bring world peace?blue_hazy_basic

Of course I remember what was claimed about the Cell in this forum.

But do you remember John Carmack saying the same things about it in the industry?

In fact, he was doubtful of it being used for games:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2299

But again, you agreed that console's have a more optimized hardware, so what is wrong with this recent Carmack affirmation?

John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts

[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

clyde46

Carmack is a very intelligent man. Just because you do not agree with what he is saying doesn't make him any less intelligent.

But wat he said makes him less intelligent

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

HMMM who do we believe? non logical, delusional, system war fanboys that dont present absolutely any facts or a very renowned developer who has been in the business for so long? 

stay mad hermts/lemmings, 

xboxiphoneps3
^^^The hype machine claims another victim.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"] Not without single spec optimization, try againGioVela2010

O yes that's why pc's with gpu's that just as weak as the 360 is able to get comparable results as it.....

The only console system that actually has optimization you can actually see is the PS4.

With multiplats? Lol congrats but that completely ignores the "single spec optimization" part of Carmacks post

aw mad that most multiplat's are designed around consoles first ? single spec optimization is an excuse since most competent dev's design their games to work with each console based on its hardware then convert over to x86 Pc environment . Now with the "single spec optimization" with these upcoming consoles means squat when their using x86 cpu's and same API's that pc's are using.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 clyde46
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

John_Read

But was he said makes him less intelligent

If you are refering to the TC's title, we are still waiting on the OP to provide proof of it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
Member since 2013 • 2504 Posts

I wish carmack could give a explanation behind this :lol:

&TheFadeForever
what a terrible video, give that laptop 512 mbs of total ram and have a game not ported from the PC to current gen consoles and we will see how that PC wont even be able to run Runescape
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Tessellation

I guess you cearly don't get what he meant

Crysis being played on a PC with similar GPU to current gen console yet the console version doesn't look as good where the optimization :lol:

TheFadeForever
PWNED.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
But again, you agreed that console's have a more optimized hardware, so what is wrong with this recent Carmack affirmation?SambaLele
Its not him I'm disagreeing with. Consoles are more optimised. Whether or not its two times? That seems a bit on the high side, but he knows better then me. But if you think the PC will need a titan to look as good as a launch console game? You're probably high.
gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#84 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

Lol. This is so old and he never says anything about PS4 or Titan. Never specifies the GPU. 

Let's see what he really has to say about next-gen consoles:

"If you take a current game like Halo which is a 30 hertz game at 720p; if you run that at 1080p, 60 frames with high dynamic frame buffers, all of a sudden you've sucked up all the power you have in the next-generation."

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 uninspiredcup

Good point person. if the Playstation 4 is so amazing how come not a single game looks as good as Crysis 3?

And please... dont attempt to use the old man head demo, nvidia used one real time, it was much more impressive.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"]

This topic may be old but I want to reiterate on wasdie's beautiful post that PC's have a lot of bullshit overhead to deal with so they gimp their games to the lowest specs. From the legend Carmack himself. Hermits lining up for a Titan as we speak.

Now this "My PC is better" bullshit can rest, unless you own a Titan.

ronvalencia
Radeon HD 6470M (with about 240 GFLOPS) runs like Xbox 360's Xenos GPU (with 240 GFLOPS).

/thread. Ron is never wrong.
SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 SambaLele

[QUOTE="SambaLele"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] Who are you? 04dcarraher

On the cpu front yes you do, not on the gpu front there are many examples of gpu's as weak as the current gen consoles getting comparable or better results. http://www.gamespot.com/features/6183499/p-4.html http://www.gamespot.com/features/6183967/p-4.html

In fact the card that is closer to the 360/PS3's in those charts would be the GeForce 7900, which is still stronger than them. And the card is doing worse than these consoles, given that, althought the resolution is higher, there is no specification of CPU, memory, etc. being used, and I'd doubt they were running those tests with a 2005 CPU and RAM.

LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 LordOfPoms
Member since 2013 • 1138 Posts
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="LordOfPoms"][QUOTE="clyde46"] Shame he hasn't made a good game for a good number of years.

What does he do with his time now? I know he wanted to do something with the Occlus Rift.

Last I heard he was working with Oculus Rift and that's about it. For awhile he was working on rockets.
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Tessellation

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"]

This topic may be old but I want to reiterate on wasdie's beautiful post that PC's have a lot of bullshit overhead to deal with so they gimp their games to the lowest specs. From the legend Carmack himself. Hermits lining up for a Titan as we speak.

faizan_faizan

Radeon HD 6470M (with about 240 GFLOPS) runs like Xbox 360's Xenos GPU (with 240 GFLOPS).

someone that hates ron with a passion will come and say how wrong Ron is just because ron owned him several times :lol: can't wait for the tears :cool:

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 04dcarraher

faizan_faizan

Or how about the old x1950 pro at 248 GFLOPS that isnt even unified shader based ....
SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 SambaLele

[QUOTE="SambaLele"]But again, you agreed that console's have a more optimized hardware, so what is wrong with this recent Carmack affirmation?blue_hazy_basic
Its not him I'm disagreeing with. Consoles are more optimised. Whether or not its two times? That seems a bit on the high side, but he knows better then me. But if you think the PC will need a titan to look as good as a launch console game? You're probably high.

The teraflop affirmation was something added by the TC. Carmack didn't say anything that specific.

I agree that a Titan would be overkill, but still, launch games on consoles can not represent the potential of their hardware.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

Good point person. if the Playstation 4 is so amazing how come not a single game looks as good as Crysis 3?

And please... dont attempt to use the old man head demo, nvidia used one real time, it was much more impressive.

uninspiredcup

PC games look better than PS4 games.

PC tech demonstrations look better than PS4 tech demonstrations.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 SambaLele

faizan_faizan

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 uninspiredcup

[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

faizan_faizan

PC games look better than PS4 games.

PC tech demonstrations look better than PS4 tech demonstrations.

Exactly. All Johns tech talk and shooting rockets into space and he can't remember to put a flashlight on a gun. 

How are we suppose to take him serously?

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 GioVela2010
[QUOTE="GioVela2010"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

04dcarraher

aw mad that most multiplat's are designed around consoles first ? single spec optimization is an excuse since most competent dev's design their games to work with each console based on its hardware then convert over to x86 Pc environment . Now with the "single spec optimization" with these upcoming consoles means squat when their using x86 cpu's and same API's that pc's are using.

Carmack > You Uncharted 3 > any PC game with a 640 GT
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 clyde46
[QUOTE="GioVela2010"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="GioVela2010"] With multiplats? Lol congrats but that completely ignores the "single spec optimization" part of Carmacks post

Carmack > You Uncharted 3 > any PC game with a 640 GT

So nothing to add to the thread then.
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

Lol my pc is still way better than the ps4, u mad cows?

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 GioVela2010
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="ronvalencia"] Radeon HD 6470M (with about 240 GFLOPS) runs like Xbox 360's Xenos GPU (with 240 GFLOPS).

i Or how about the old x1950 pro at 248 GFLOPS that isnt even unified shader based ....

That GPU can't make any game look anywhere near as graphically impressive as Uncharted 3
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 clyde46

Lol my pc is still way better than the ps4, u mad cows?

deeliman
Haswell sucks balls.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="SambaLele"]But again, you agreed that console's have a more optimized hardware, so what is wrong with this recent Carmack affirmation?SambaLele

The teraflop affirmation was something added by the TC. Carmack didn't say anything that specific.

I agree that a Titan would be overkill, but still, launch games on consoles can not represent the potential of their hardware.

I completely agree. Games for the PC aren't optimised like they are for the consoles, but in terms of raw power graphically a PC with a titan is going to well ahead of a console which hasn't launched yet. Some people on this forum are again getting suckered into thinking the PS4 is going to be this monster powerhouse which will dominate (or at least be on a par with) high end gaming PC's.