Japan, why do you guys rate it so highly?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

braydee1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 braydee1234
Member since 2004 • 2937 Posts

Now, this is only my oppinion. But why does this forum repeatedly pay homage to Japan? Now I'm aware that Japan could possibly lay claim to being the birthground of modern gaming, and 2 of the companies in this generations war are Japanese, but things like Japanese sales figures seems to be the largest debate in this place. Japan is only the second largest consumer group in the world. America is the largest. Japan are notoriously loyal to Japanese products, whereas Europe and the US go for the product which suits trends rather than it's origin.

So I ask the question: Why do you rate Japan so highly? possibly to a higher degree than the USA market? 

SergeantSnitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SergeantSnitch
Member since 2007 • 3692 Posts
No one rates Japan to a higher degree than the US market.  It's just that for any console to win the war, they have to also win Japan, it's been that way ever since.  You want to win, you got to win in Japan as well.
-SR388-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -SR388-
Member since 2006 • 329 Posts

just wondering about all this 'japan hates american products' thing, do they not love the ipod? obviously the 360s library simply
does not fit their needs its not just national loyalty is it? ps3 is hardly even selling there either.
braydee1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 braydee1234

just wondering about all this 'japan hates american products' thing, do they not love the ipod? obviously the 360s library simply
does not fit their needs its not just national loyalty is it? ps3 is hardly even selling there either.-SR388-

I think if there were a product made by the japanese with similar appeal to the ipod they'd shun the ipod straight away. 

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts

i dont.....

probably becasue all of the games hailed from there first.

Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Utensilman
Member since 2006 • 1571 Posts
it's all about dating simulation and anime games there, wich IMO frankly suck or are preverted and still suck
braydee1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 braydee1234
Is it just me who goes out there and buys a system with games and features they enjoy? or do others base their oppinion on japan and their love for a brand?
-SR388-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -SR388-
Member since 2006 • 329 Posts

[QUOTE="-SR388-"]
does not fit their needs its not just national loyalty is it? ps3 is hardly even selling there either.braydee1234

I think if there were a product made by the japanese with similar appeal to the ipod they'd shun the ipod straight away.

i thought sony make and sell their own mp3 player? ;) 

braydee1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 braydee1234
[QUOTE="braydee1234"]

[QUOTE="-SR388-"]
does not fit their needs its not just national loyalty is it? ps3 is hardly even selling there either.-SR388-

i thought sony make and sell their own mp3 player? ;)

dude have you seen how ugly that thing is? 

daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 daqua_99
Member since 2005 • 11170 Posts

Now, this is only my oppinion. But why does this forum repeatedly pay homage to Japan? Now I'm aware that Japan could possibly lay claim to being the birthground of modern gaming, and 2 of the companies in this generations war are Japanese, but things like Japanese sales figures seems to be the largest debate in this place. Japan is only the second largest consumer group in the world. America is the largest. Japan are notoriously loyal to Japanese products, whereas Europe and the US go for the product which suits trends rather than it's origin.

So I ask the question: Why do you rate Japan so highly? possibly to a higher degree than the USA market?

braydee1234

Just to clarify, Europe is the largest consumer group.

Anyway, Japan was the savour of games. First consoles (before the crash) were based on the American market. The crash occured and games then became more Japan-based 

braydee1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 braydee1234
[QUOTE="braydee1234"]

daqua_99

Just to clarify, Europe is the largest consumer group.

Anyway, Japan was the savour of games. First consoles (before the crash) were based on the American market. The crash occured and games then became more Japan-based

Ehh, I know Europe has a larger possible base, but America are far ahead of Europe in terms of hardware sales. 

especensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 especensor
Member since 2006 • 3180 Posts

Japan basically made gaming. The nes and genesis popularized it back then and it was still japanese companies that are keeping it popular today. alot of the gaming stuff is all made by japan. a few aren't made by japan but they aren't sucessful. the only one that suceeded is Microsoft, but they're just microsoft.

and games sell better outside of japan like the US because the US is alot bigger than Japan. the US is a large blob on the globe thats easil recognizeable but Japan is a tiny island in the sea. 

braydee1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 braydee1234

Japan basically made gaming. The nes and genesis popularized it back then and it was still japanese companies that are keeping it popular today. alot of the gaming stuff is all made by japan. a few aren't made by japan but they aren't sucessful. the only one that suceeded is Microsoft, but they're just microsoft.

and games sell better outside of japan like the US because the US is alot bigger than Japan. the US is a large blob on the globe thats easil recognizeable but Japan is a tiny island in the sea.

especensor

Surely this is why we should accept japan is the country that brought us gaming, but not the reason we need to look at their hardware and software sale? 

especensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 especensor
Member since 2006 • 3180 Posts

it's all about dating simulation and anime games there, wich IMO frankly suck or are preverted and still suckUtensilman
and what are you talking about. its all about rpg. no genre is more popular than rpg.

anime is just popular there. its just what people like. besides, not all anime themed games are bad. and what dating sims. they are only released on the PC, you never see them on consoles.

besides, anime games are no different than movie games. If a *** didn't know anything about the US and walked into a shop, wouldn't they think that Movie games are all the rage in the US? 

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

especensor

Most of the huge PC gaming companies aren't Japanese, and the PC game market worldwide is huge. Not only that but most third parties are not Japanese companies, so despite, for example, the Wii being Japanese, you're playing non-Japanese games on it.

Japan matters for the Wii... for PC / 360, not so much. Japanese sales are completely irrelevant for this market, and the fact that 10.5 million 360s have sold, withouth Japanese support, is pretty impressive.

Japan matters because it's the home of the Wii and the PS3, and how a console does in its home country is telling. For example, if the iPod didn't sell in the US at all, I'd be concerned...
Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shazenab
Member since 2004 • 3413 Posts

[QUOTE="-SR388-"]
does not fit their needs its not just national loyalty is it? ps3 is hardly even selling there either.braydee1234

sony MP3 walkman... But still I agree Japan are a very stubborn market place. We, in the west, have finally embraced JRPGs, but the FPS genre has no legs to stand on in Japan- But that's mainly due to the fact that Japanese life (much like we are turning into) is hard to escape and constantly connected- so the further detatched from reality these games are, the better.

Still the reason i hold admire japan more than the west is because welll... Third party publishers have propertys that aren't just sport and movie cash-ins. A lot of western developers have actually agreed they'd like a more eastern pholasaphy on games to them allow physically experimenting with different types of games, rather than focusing on one and thats your lot. lets put it this way, without that pholosiphy RE4 wouldn't be the way it is.

Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts
[QUOTE="-SR388-"][QUOTE="braydee1234"]

[QUOTE="-SR388-"]

But you said that japanese people would shun the ipod straight away for a national product. Aren't you contradicting yourself by saying the sony mp3 player didn't sell because it was ugly. 

tcc024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 tcc024
Member since 2003 • 197 Posts
because there are 127 million customers there.
braydee1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 braydee1234
[QUOTE="braydee1234"][QUOTE="-SR388-"][QUOTE="braydee1234"]

[QUOTE="-SR388-"]
does not fit their needs its not just national loyalty is it? ps3 is hardly even selling there either.Krigon

I said were there a national product with appeal. eg the wii is attractive, the ps3 isnt. Wii wins japan. 

But you said that japanese people would shun the ipod straight away for a national product. Aren't you contradicting yourself by saying the sony mp3 player didn't sell because it was ugly.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

Because Japan's a purdy place to live in:

Tokyo  

Tokyo > The world 

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
Historically Japan was important because of 3rd party development. The most popular system in Japan got the most dev interest.
Drathyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Drathyl
Member since 2006 • 363 Posts
I bet people are offering like a gazillion dollars to the owner of that soccer field to build a couple of skycrapers there
Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Eltroz
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts
I personly do not see Japan as any more important then NA or Europe. They are all important though. Also japanese did not start gaming. The first home games started on those old PCs like the commador 64. There was games like Archon and Bards Tale. Atari and Colecovision was before Nintendo. Japanese just brought back gaming after Atari faded away but it was systems like Atari that planted the home game system seed. Some of the greatest developers right now are not from Japan. EA, Ubisoft,Bioware, Blizzard, Rare, Lionhead, Bungie, and many others. For all the people that say a console can not win without Japan is just false. Every area is important but that does not mean everyone is needed to win a console race. NA is largest hardware buyer and Europe has a larger population then Japan.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

Because:  Japanese give us weekly sales, NA give us monthly sales, and Europe gives us nada (well, a tidbit here and there).

So, Japanese sales are the most consistent and correct.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
Alot of gamers just wish they could be japanese so that they could like gaming and anime out in the open and be considered cool for it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Alot of gamers just wish they could be japanese so that they could like gaming and anime out in the open and be considered cool for it.TheSystemLord1
:lol:

Funny, I can do that here, in the US :o.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts

Tokyo

Tokyo > The world

Eponique

It is, it really is, everything is so different from America when you get out into the countrysides.  I don't know...its just a nice place. 

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Eltroz
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts
[QUOTE="Eponique"]

Tokyo > The world

TheSystemLord1

It is, it really is, everything is so different from America when you get out into the countrysides.  I don't know...its just a nice place. 

Ya because no other area has a city. Ever hear of New York, London, Paris or many other cities. Oh wait that city pic has a soccer field. Big deal take a look at cetral park in New York. Also as far as saying it is a nice place. Have you been there? Most countries have great countrysides. 
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"][QUOTE="Eponique"]

Tokyo > The world

Eltroz

Ya because no other area has a city. Ever hear of New York, London, Paris or many other cities. Oh wait that city pic has a soccer field. Big deal take a look at cetral park in New York. Also as far as saying it is a nice place. Have you been there? Most countries have great countrysides. 

Actually by drawing off resources and concentrating them in one small area large citys are mostly like a cancerous polyp on the colon of the countryside.
ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts
if you talk about winning the console war! the Japanese market is a must! Higher Japanese market = to more Dev from their companies. Countries from asia mainly play Japanese made games. Only few Western made games had success in the market over there (Tomb Raider or GTA are only the few.) If MS, Sony and Nintendo wants to win the War, they have to have support from the Japanese Game companies.
Michael85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Michael85
Member since 2005 • 3971 Posts
Japan's console sales aren't a debate, they're Nintendo land.
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"][QUOTE="Eponique"]

Tokyo > The world

Eltroz

Yes... but do they have... ELECTRONIC TOILETS?! I DUN THINK SO! 

Best type of toilets, ever.

Free butt wipe, w00t?

Features such as:

1.  Small flush and large flush. If your doodie is big, you do the large flush. But if your doodie is small, you do the small flush, environment friendly :)
  2. Bidet: To clean your vulva (ew).
  3. You can adjust the water pressure to your liking!
  4. Blow dryer, if your bottom's hair is a bit wet.

And many many more!

---

On topic, because Japan's got 35 million gamers, Now that's a big % of the population compared to the other regions. 

Rip870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Rip870
Member since 2006 • 1232 Posts

braydee1234

actually japan is only the 3 when it comes to buying games and consols America is 1 Europe 2 and japan3

ross131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 ross131313
Member since 2004 • 3357 Posts
That toilet looks like a torture device.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
That toilet looks like a torture device.ross131313
How do you think they potty train kids over there?
OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
Because of, "Niiiintendoo!! Woohoo!"
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
Because Japan is awesome.:|
ross131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 ross131313
Member since 2004 • 3357 Posts

[QUOTE="ross131313"]That toilet looks like a torture device.Jandurin
How do you think they potty train kids over there?

Ha, yeah, and WTF is up with the roll bar near the back of that contraption. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
I have nothing against Japan, but at the same time I also don't put them on a pedestal and worship them like some other people . .  . .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

I have nothing against Japan, but at the same time I also don't put them on a pedestal and worship them like some other people . .  . .sonicare
It would be cool to visit.

Then I could be a giant!

Kreean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Kreean
Member since 2006 • 683 Posts
Because it's the home of Mario, Samus Aran, Snake, Cloud, Ryu and Ken, Bomberman, Sonic, Donkey Kong, Wonderboy, Kirby, Link, Ico, Amaterasu, Heichachi, Jill Valentine... 
Avatar image for TimeToPartyHard
TimeToPartyHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 TimeToPartyHard
Member since 2004 • 1963 Posts

They're held a little higher because they're 1.) more tech savvy, and 2.) they made gaming what it is now, so they have some of the most valuable input in the gaming industry.  Not only the people who create, but the people who play.  The gamers there are open to much more than just "teh mature" games or madden.  Unlike many many many people in the US.

In short, they're more tech savvy, they've got seniority, and are more gaming (on a whole) oriented.

-The-G-Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 -The-G-Man-
Member since 2007 • 6414 Posts
We don't rate Japan highly; a console, in order to win the console war, has to have Japan is all.  I don't really hold them to a high standard since they seem to buy any game which has an anime-look to it.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#46 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts

We don't rate Japan highly; a console, in order to win the console war, has to have Japan is all. I don't really hold them to a high standard since they seem to buy any game which has an anime-look to it.-The-G-Man-

What about Americans who like Sports and Shooters or Europeans that like sandbox games? Otakus love anime video games no matter how crappy they are. Same thing with frat boys loving shooters and sports games no matter how rehashed and mediocre they may be. 

I can't stand some of the Japanophiles myself, but I can't deny that Japanese have made gaming as popular as it is today. You can thank Nintendo for that. ;)  

Neal_Gore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Neal_Gore
Member since 2007 • 416 Posts

Tokyo  

Tokyo > The world 

Eponique

Looks like the projects in Chicago

hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts

Because they make better stuff than the USA does.  Cars, electronics, robots (fwt?!?!), games.  But when it comes to other media like movies and music America is more widely acknowledged as the HotDogs there.  Even though 99% of Hollywood movies suck, but still its the best we've got.

Neal_Gore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Neal_Gore
Member since 2007 • 416 Posts
Gaming was made in America by Atari,PC (first 3D games) and Apple computers. Japan hasn't done anything for gaming except like it so much they went overboard on it and you got these anime lovers that act like Japan is the best place on this planet. I've been to Japan and it's like being in the poor part of the major cities in the US.
hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts
[QUOTE="Eponique"]

Tokyo  

Tokyo > The world