Jagged Alliance 3 > Fallout 3 (For staying true to it's roots)

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tony-Harrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Tony-Harrison
Member since 2008 • 1884 Posts

Instead of giving Fallout 3 negative attentian for straying from it's roots, why don't you hype the sequel to the other cult classic that came out in that era, Jagged Alliance 3?

Fans of the original will know this stuff already.

• Developed by Strategy First
  • RPG/Turn Based Strategy.
  • Modify weapons and construct objects.
  • Take control of an island and it's facilities with creativity and complete non-linearity.
  • Blow open any wall, cut any wire fence, climb on any roof, use stealth, darkness, or force.
  • Hire mercenaries online from multiple websites, also visit shops that sell insurance, military equipment, and download intelligence.
  • Level up each mercenaries stats and skills and equiptment.
  • Highly tactical combat. Take cover in grass, behind rocks, or go prone and snipe.
  • Assassinate the dictatorship with a squad of hired mercenaries.
  • Acquire funding for your operation by winning over the islands shops, facilities, mines.
  • Use RPG dialogue to communicate with citizens.
  • Mercenaries have relationships with one another that can raise or lower moral. Plus it's funny as hell to listen to.
  • Skills include Explosives (to blow up anything that's concrete) Electronics (for electronic traps, etc) and Lockpicking.

Gameplay Video

Jagged Alliance 2
Jagged Alliance 3

Tony-Harrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Tony-Harrison
This game is hardcore.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
Yep, among my top3 most wanted games easily :)
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

And now lets look at this from a business side. Fallout 3 = multiplatform and very action oriented and well sell extremely well, Jagged Alliance 3 = staying true to its roots and wont sell for crap.

Why do you all think that Fallout 3 went the way it did? All because of sales. When games cost 10+ million to make, you need to make sure they are going to sell. I don't care how awesome the first 2 fallout games were, the fact is a game just like those wouldn't sell for crap in todays market. Welcome to next gen gameing.

This is one of the only cases in SW where sales can be used to explain anything.

Bulova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bulova
Member since 2003 • 1237 Posts
You can't exactly say fallout 3 didnt stay true to its roots until you play it.
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts

And now lets look at this from a business side. Fallout 3 = multiplatform and very action oriented and well sell extremely well, Jagged Alliance 3 = staying true to its roots and wont sell for crap.

Why do you all think that Fallout 3 went the way it did? All because of sales. When games cost 10+ million to make, you need to make sure they are going to sell. I don't care how awesome the first 2 fallout games were, the fact is a game just like those wouldn't sell for crap in todays market. Welcome to next gen gameing.

This is one of the only cases in SW where sales can be used to explain anything.

Wasdie

So you are stating games with Isometric view won't sell?

hip-hop-cola2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hip-hop-cola2
Member since 2007 • 2454 Posts
? For hardcore fans it may be a turn off to see something move away from its roots, but i don't see how that makes the game worse (which is what i think your saying, if not sorry). I have never played a fallout game, im hyped for the game because i loved oblivion and like what the game is doing.
TheOwnerOner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheOwnerOner
Member since 2007 • 2921 Posts
Fallout 3 looks more fun.
spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Krigon

I don't think he said that at all... because he didn't say that at all. He is trying to say that Fallout 3 has more of a mass market appeal then Jagged Alliance 3 because of all the updates it went through.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Yep, among my top3 most wanted games easily :)AdrianWerner

Agreed. :P

Pariah_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pariah_001
Member since 2003 • 4850 Posts
And now lets look at this from a business side. Fallout 3 = multiplatform and very action oriented and well sell extremely well, Jagged Alliance 3 = staying true to its roots and wont sell for crap.Wasdie

On the contrary, as a niche franchise, it will sell just fine.

Why do you all think that Fallout 3 went the way it did?Wasdie

Because the Fallout license was bought by Bethesda.

Black Isle was not planning to go down Oblivion with Guns' route when they were still developing Van Buren.

All because of sales. When games cost 10+ million to make, you need to make sure they are going to sell. I don't care how awesome the first 2 fallout games were, the fact is a game just like those wouldn't sell for crap in todays market. Welcome to next gen gameing.

This is one of the only cases in SW where sales can be used to explain anything.Wasdie

Good luck actually proving that.

If you haven't noticed, when Fallout first came out, first and third-person games were already prevalent and yet both Fallout games sold just fine and racked up an enormous amount of acclaim. What does that tell you about your standard?

Tony-Harrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tony-Harrison

You can't exactly say fallout 3 didnt stay true to its roots until you play it.Bulova

It doesn't stay true to it's roots.

Tony-Harrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tony-Harrison

Fallout 3 looks more fun.TheOwnerOner

Interesting selection. Have you played either franchise before?

TheOwnerOner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheOwnerOner
Member since 2007 • 2921 Posts

[QUOTE="TheOwnerOner"]Fallout 3 looks more fun.Tony-Harrison

Nope,

but turnbase strategy RPGs bore me.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Krigon

Not the Isometirc view, just the game in general. The appearance (2d Isometric) and the gameplay combined with the appearance is the real turn off. People want a more action packed game experiance that Jagged Alliance 3 is going to provide.

Xuix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Xuix
Member since 2003 • 233 Posts

^

I didn't know that fallout was a strategy game.

I guess controlling one person and INDIRECTLY commanding your followers constitutes a strategy game.

Ignorance is hilarious.

Btw The matrix revolutions was a horrible horrible movie.

Cocacolacowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cocacolacowboy
Member since 2008 • 209 Posts

the matrix is lame. mediocre cyberpunk,a poor man's neuromancer.

i think its funny how for the longest time Todd Howard and his merry bunch of bethsoft asswipe devs went on and on about "isometric being dead",...and "first person/real time is soo much more immersive" ,then blizzard comes around and owns them by announcing diablo 3 as well as keeping the series in it's isometric roots.

Tony-Harrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Tony-Harrison
[QUOTE="Tony-Harrison"]

[QUOTE="TheOwnerOner"]Fallout 3 looks more fun.TheOwnerOner

Nope,

Hah. Fallout 1 & 2 where turn based. If you've never played either then what do you assume the turn based combat is like?

Your just a fanboy.

Tony-Harrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Tony-Harrison

i think its funny how for the longest time Todd Howard and his merry bunch of bethsoft asswipe devs went on and on about "isometric being dead",...and "first person/real time is soo much more immersive" ,then blizzard comes around and owns them by announcing diablo 3 as well as keeping the series in it's isometric roots.

Cocacolacowboy

So very true. Also, Divine Divinity came out AFTER Morrowind and was a much better RPG.

Even Gamespot Agree's. Not that it matters.

tfpcgmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tfpcgmr
Member since 2008 • 164 Posts
Big Rigs > Fallout 3.
Tony-Harrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Tony-Harrison
[QUOTE="Tony-Harrison"][QUOTE="TheOwnerOner"][QUOTE="Tony-Harrison"]

[QUOTE="TheOwnerOner"]Fallout 3 looks more fun.TheOwnerOner

Nope,

Hah. Fallout 1 & 2 where turn based. If you've never played either then what do you assume the turn based combat is like?

Your just a fanboy.

we're talking about Jagget Alliance Vs Fallout 3 you dumb sh@# face.

When did Fallout 1 & 2 ever enter the conversation.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

Precisely my point, Fallout 3 has been dumbed down.

It's casuals like YOU who are ruining the industry mate.

Vyyral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Vyyral
Member since 2007 • 386 Posts

Tony-Harrison

If he hasn't played the first two then why should he care about the bastardization of the series? This game under any other name would be viewed as nothing but a promising game. If he hasn't played the first two, why should he care that it is different than them?

And people who visit gamespot forums are not the casuals ruining the industry.

mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
JA2 was pretty cool, but it was more like Fallout tactics rather than FO2 to begin with so I'm not really sure what to think of this thread. JA3 might be true to it's roots, and it might even be a good game, but Fallout is in a different league.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

If you haven't noticed, when Fallout first came out, first and third-person games were already prevalent and yet both Fallout games sold just fine and racked up an enormous amount of acclaim. What does that tell you about your standard?

Pariah_001

Here's his luck.

The video game industry is going the way of Hollywood. I could write an entire essay for you as to why and how Hollywood needed to go mass market (because pre 1940s, niches were okay), but really, all you have to do is trust me.

Black Isle was not planning to go down Oblivion with Guns' route when they were still developing Van Buren.

Pariah_001

Such a waste of intelligence on pure, unadulterated fanboysim.

It's especially sad considering that you are a person who unnecessarily uses the upper-most tiers of grammar and vocabulary, only to come crashing down when some illiterate producer uses the lame "Oblivion with Guns" analogy. Seriously, the flow just sucks.

Tony-Harrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Tony-Harrison
[QUOTE="Tony-Harrison"]

Vyyral

If he hasn't played the first two then why should he care about the bastardization of the series? This game under any other name would be viewed as nothing but a promising game. If he hasn't played the first two, why should he care that it is different than them?

Of course there are casuals on Gamespot! They are the ones who don't mind getting a shallowed down version of a game that acquired it's reputation for being deep and intelligent.

ZhugeMarc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 ZhugeMarc
Member since 2005 • 1055 Posts

Your just a fanboy.

Tony-Harrison

All he said was that Fallout 3 looks to be more fun than Jagged Alliance 3, and for him, that'll probably be true, since - as he's said - he doesn't like turn-based RPGs. I wouldn't be so quick to point the fanboy finger, especially if it's not justified :P

As for the whole casuals bit, I don't think casual gamer means what you think it means - while casual games generally are dumbed down (okay, 99% are), liking the look of a game that seems to be more straight action than it's predecessors is not the sign of a casual gamer. I'm pretty sure most casual gamers don't even know what Fallout is. It seems to me like you're just throwing the casual label at people from atop some "I played the original Fallout games, this makes me a better gamer!" high horse if they don't agree with you that Fallout 3 is the black spawn of a demon lord. Personally? I'm just happy to see another Fallout game.

I hesitate to ape you and scream "fanboy", but... :P
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#28 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
[QUOTE="Cocacolacowboy"]

Tony-Harrison

So very true. Also, Divine Divinity came out AFTER Morrowind and was a much better RPG.

Glad im not the only one who loved that game:)

elektrixxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 elektrixxx
Member since 2004 • 11804 Posts
How long will the PS3 install be on this one?
Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Stonin
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts

You can't exactly say fallout 3 didnt stay true to its roots until you play it.Bulova

No, you can.

12345yon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 12345yon
Member since 2007 • 1073 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]And now lets look at this from a business side. Fallout 3 = multiplatform and very action oriented and well sell extremely well, Jagged Alliance 3 = staying true to its roots and wont sell for crap.Pariah_001

All because of sales. When games cost 10+ million to make, you need to make sure they are going to sell. I don't care how awesome the first 2 fallout games were, the fact is a game just like those wouldn't sell for crap in todays market. Welcome to next gen gameing.

This is one of the only cases in SW where sales can be used to explain anything.Wasdie

well, if you have an expensive franchise like fallout, you need to make it sell, tahts because they change the type of game, lets be honest ppl now just like how many gore and blood a game has, and i dont think that many ppl have played the 1st and 2nd ones, if i own bethseda, i shoud have done the same IMO

hip-hop-cola2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hip-hop-cola2
Member since 2007 • 2454 Posts
[QUOTE="Pariah_001"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]And now lets look at this from a business side. Fallout 3 = multiplatform and very action oriented and well sell extremely well, Jagged Alliance 3 = staying true to its roots and wont sell for crap.12345yon

well, if you have an expensive franchise like fallout, you need to make it sell, tahts because they change the type of game, lets be honest ppl now just like how many gore and blood a game has, and i dont think that many ppl have played the 1st and 2nd ones, if i own bethseda, i shoud have done the same IMO

I have not played the other fallout games, and its not the gore that interests me...and none of my friends are hyped for the gore either. All i see is smug pc know it alls shunning the game becouse its not "true to its roots". That has nothing to do with how good the game will be at all, its just going in a different direction.
Tony-Harrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Tony-Harrison

I have not played the other fallout games, and its not the gore that interests me...and none of my friends are hyped for the gore either. All i see is smug pc know it alls shunning the game becouse its not "true to its roots". That has nothing to do with how good the game will be at all, its just going in a different direction.hip-hop-cola2

Were not being smug. Fallout 3 is being sold on the reputation of the Fallout licence. Fallout gained it's reputation for not being precisely what it is now, a casual RPG.

dc337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dc337
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

[QUOTE="hip-hop-cola2"] I have not played the other fallout games, and its not the gore that interests me...and none of my friends are hyped for the gore either. All i see is smug pc know it alls shunning the game becouse its not "true to its roots". That has nothing to do with how good the game will be at all, its just going in a different direction.Tony-Harrison

Were not being smug. Fallout 3 is being sold on the reputation of the Fallout licence. Fallout gained it's reputation for not being precisely what it is now, a casual RPG.

The fallout franchise was sold by interplay to bethesda for cold hard cash which means they can do whatever they want with it.

I for one played Fallout 2 and am glad it is going 3d. 2d isometric games made a lot more sense when hardware was limited. Those games also play much better with a mouse which makes them less ideal for a multiplat release.

I'm surprised so many Fallout fans are complaining since things could be a lot worse. Just be glad that they didn't turn Fallout into a family friendly Wii game.

Tony-Harrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Tony-Harrison
[QUOTE="Tony-Harrison"]

[QUOTE="hip-hop-cola2"] I have not played the other fallout games, and its not the gore that interests me...and none of my friends are hyped for the gore either. All i see is smug pc know it alls shunning the game becouse its not "true to its roots". That has nothing to do with how good the game will be at all, its just going in a different direction.dc337

The fallout franchise was sold by interplay to bethesda for cold hard cash which means they can do whatever they want with it.

I for one played Fallout 2 and am glad it is going 3d. 2d isometric games made a lot more sense when hardware was limited. Those games also play much better with a mouse which makes them less ideal for a multiplat release.

I'm surprised so many Fallout fans are complaining since things could be a lot worse. Just be glad that they didn't turn Fallout into a family friendly Wii game.

It may as well have been.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#36 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Greedy developers & 'tards who buy dumbed down s*** like Oblivion with Guns are destroying gaming.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

This game is hardcore.Tony-Harrison

lol, so eloquently and concisely put! Just what i was gonna say :D

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts

Wasdie
I can't wait til Dragon Age comes out and destroys that argument :D
Avatar image for ProductNumber49
ProductNumber49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 ProductNumber49
Member since 2006 • 3840 Posts
[QUOTE="Vyyral"][QUOTE="Tony-Harrison"]

Tony-Harrison

Of course there are casuals on Gamespot! They are the ones who don't mind getting a shallowed down version of a game that acquired it's reputation for being deep and intelligent.

You havent played Fallout 3 yet, but yeah i know what you mean.

LastRedMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LastRedMage
Member since 2007 • 886 Posts
Never heard of it
AtrumRegina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AtrumRegina
Member since 2008 • 1584 Posts
Thia game looks like crap , no offense.
MindlessTeef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 MindlessTeef
Member since 2003 • 1392 Posts

Thia game looks like crap , no offense.AtrumRegina

Non Taken... and it doesn't look crap... but it does sound it.

The original JA's (as made by Sir-Tech) was awesome... I still play JA2 Gold now and then. Unfortunetly, F3Games/Akella,seems to be removing all the elements that made JA2 such a great game... In the end we have a simple turn-based tactical game with linear missions running on the Silent Storm engine. I'll rather justplay JA2 or Silent Storm again...

No complex economy system, no militia, etc... no point.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

*goes back to playing his 250th-300th or so hour of fallout 3*

DOF_power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DOF_power
Member since 2008 • 804 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]Why do you all think that Fallout 3 went the way it did?Pariah_001

Fallout 1 and 2 sold like crap. Wasdie is right.

But at least Bethesda did a better job then FT:BoS and F:BoS with regards to role playing and brought F3 to the PC too and made it very mod-able, as opposed to Interplay who gave up on the PC platform.

Fallout 3 could have been better if some of those mods, where mods, but part of the game.

And I despise turn based combat and the isometric view, they are in no way connected to role playing.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

[QUOTE="Cocacolacowboy"]

Tony-Harrison

Ahhh nice one yes Divine Divinity im gonna take a look. Regarding the other games you mentioned TC i dunno personally im not a fan of Modern Era, World War Era, Western Era, of Turn Based games.

Honestly after completing Final Fantasy Tactics a month ago i have been hankering for a new experience turnbased on my PSP, Diesga im thinking.

Bahh Divine Divinty after just doing some reasearch i know this game and i hated the Demo, hmm perhaps i was hasty but i doubt it.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

[QUOTE="AtrumRegina"]Thia game looks like crap , no offense.MindlessTeef

The original JA's (as made by Sir-Tech) was awesome... I still play JA2 Gold now and then. Unfortunetly, F3Games/Akella,seems to be removing all the elements that made JA2 such a great game... In the end we have a simple turn-based tactical game with linear missions running on the Silent Storm engine. I'll rather justplay JA2 or Silent Storm again...

Hold on a minute, Complex economy system, Militia, maybe i was to hasty in my previous post, Here i come Gold edition JA2.
RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

Fallout 3 should have stayed with it's roots, and I'm not complaining about the first person perspective or the FPS combat. The complexity of Fallout 2 RPG elements are missing, that's what ruined the game. Fallout 3 could'be better if it wasn't a RPG, but a shooter like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
! Its in development. Awesome! Cant wait.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Krigon

it's not the isometric nature. (see diablo) it's that JA3 is a slower paced strat rather than action like what the masses want.
MindlessTeef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MindlessTeef
Member since 2003 • 1392 Posts

[QUOTE="MindlessTeef"]

[QUOTE="AtrumRegina"]Thia game looks like crap , no offense.jwsoul

Hold on a minute, Complex economy system, Militia, maybe i was to hasty in my previous post, Here i come Gold edition JA2.

You won't regret it. I got 3 guys that work with me into JA2 a few weeks ago and they love it. It really is a very good game with lots of depth, replay value and twisted humor. And when you finally get bored... download the 1.3 Mod for JA2:)

Fallout 3 isn't bad, but I agree with those saying that the originals was better... I don'treally agree with the "better" part as such, but they were more involved and memorable. I still love my Turn Based games, but Idon't think F3 would have worked as well as a TB game... it's fine the way it is with the VATS (gameplay wise), it just needs a bit more complexity (more weapons, armour and more ways to upgrade or customize them), NO level cap and a better story.

As for JA3... I'll avoid it like the plague!

*EDIT* Oh and, I didn't like Devine Divinity at all...