Iwata to become Nintendo of America CEO

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Lol!Iwata is now the ceo of NOA.

super600

And still global president, meaning boss of NCL and now NoA too

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

>performing poorly

>gets promoted

Guess this is a lesson for us all

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SuperFlakeman

I came across this news story.  The gist of it being that Nintendo expects to make operating profits of $1Bn.  Anyone can see that is insanely unrealistic which must mean one of two things:

i. Iwata is totally insane.

ii. Nintendo has a lot of cards it hasn't shown us yet.

Articuno76

Three factors: Insane 3DS lineup for all regions (MH4 in Japan aswell), assumed godly Wii U E3 conference based on confirmed games (we are talking about several 90%+ metascore games and GOTY nomination tier) and the fact that the transition phase is over; no more R&D, investing in expanding teams or whatever.

The negative factor is that Wii U will see a small pricecut which will hurt their chances of reaching that goal. It is a necessary step to ensure Wii U software sales and the core brands remain healthy.

Also don't underestimate Nintendo's digital distribution, this FY is starting off with the two GBC Zeldas. I'm sure those will sell way over a million combined... and it's a rom dump around 5 bucks.

We could actually see "3DSi" i.e. new 3DS model this year as opposed to next year, which I'm predicting. 

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

NINTENDO CO., LTD. ANNOUNCES PROMOTION OF NOA CHAIRMAN TATSUMI KIMISHIMA TO NCL MANAGING DIRECTOR

Led Nintendo of America Since 2002

REDMOND, Wash., April 24, 2013 Nintendo Co., Ltd. (NCL) today announced a planned promotion for Tatsumi Kimishima, current chairman and CEO of Nintendo of America (NOA) and a director of its parent Nintendo Co., Ltd. Subject to shareholder approval, he will become NCL managing director, and transfer from NOA in Redmond, Wash., to NCL headquarters in Kyoto, Japan. In his new position, he will assume the roles of general manager of Corporate Analysis and Administration, and general manager of the General Affairs Division. These titles are currently held by Yoshihiro Mori and Masaharu Matsumoto respectively, both of whom are retiring. Kimishima will assume his new duties in Kyoto later this summer.

Kimishima was named to his current position at NOA in 2006. He first joined Nintendo in Japan in 2000, and was subsequently named president of Pokémon USA in 2001, before moving on to become president of the Nintendo of America subsidiary in 2002. Previously, he spent 27 years at Sanwa Bank of Japan, with multiple postings in North America and Central America.

Many of his current responsibilities, including the CEO title, will be assumed by Global President Satoru Iwata. The move will support the companys unified global strategy, allow streamlined decision making and enhance Nintendo's organizational agility in the current competitive environment. Reggie Fils-Aime will continue in his role as president and COO of NOA, reporting to Iwata.

Other changes announced to Nintendos global board of directors can be found at http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/.

All Hail our Nintendo Overlords !

Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts

Oh :?

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

President of Pokémon is such a great job title.  Would be hard to keep a straight face when someone asked you what you did for a living. 

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

Is this a joke ?

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Is this a joke ?

Sagem28

What's the joke? The current CEO gets promoted and moved to Kyoto where he's taking the role of two other people who are retiring, and Iwata will fill the CEO position for NoA.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

Is this a joke ?

Sagem28

iwata.jpg

Does this look like a mother **** joke to you ? 

:P

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#14 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
So the previous guy gets the boot upstairs while Iwata assumes responsibility. Makes sense.
xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts
Nintendo is doomed!!!!
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Wait what?

I thought he was the head honcho:?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Don't even try to understand wtf is going on with Nintendo lately...
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SuperFlakeman

I take it Iwata is still the global president, the two heads will swap locations and responsibilities though.

Reggie will stay probably for the generation then Trinen will take his spot.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44638 Posts
Didn't Iwata make a promise to resign if Nintendo didn't make its targets? Is moving to NoA part of that promise?
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 super600  Moderator

Didn't Iwata make a promise to resign if Nintendo didn't make its targets? Is moving to NoA part of that promise?lamprey263

He's the head boss of both Ninty globally and NOA.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

SuperFlakeman

And still global president, meaning boss of NCL and now NoA too

I find that wierd.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SuperFlakeman

Didn't Iwata make a promise to resign if Nintendo didn't make its targets? Is moving to NoA part of that promise?lamprey263

That's the targets set today for the fiscal year that just begun. Not the results that just got in.

And it wasn't a promise, but an implication based on his wording, some say.

Avatar image for SASASackguzzler
SASASackguzzler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SASASackguzzler
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
This isnt gonna help nintendo iwata has turned himself into a casual.
SASASackguzzler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SASASackguzzler
iwata being ceo will be better than reggie that's for damn sure that's why they're replacing him to begin with. but iwata now isnt the iwata i grew up with.
thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

This is surprising news, as well as the retirements of two board directors, which the outgoing CEO of Nintendo of America will fill their roles. I never thought that a CEO of the global branch can assume the CEO role of a subsidary.

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

iwata being ceo will be better than reggie that's for [darn] sure that's why they're replacing him to begin with. but iwata now isnt the iwata i grew up with.SASASackguzzler
Do you know what is Reggie's title is? It is not CEO, but COO. Two different positions and nothing in the press release states that Reggie will be replaced.

SASASackguzzler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SASASackguzzler
When i type president of nintendo north america in google reggie comes up. That's because he is and he sucks nintendo hasnt been cool since the early nintendo64 days they were a much different company.
SASASackguzzler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SASASackguzzler
if reggie isnt ceo then who is? ceo of nintendo of america?
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#30 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Iwata: (Laughs)
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I came across this news story.  The gist of it being that Nintendo expects to make operating profits of $1Bn.  Anyone can see that is insanely unrealistic which must mean one of two things:

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Articuno76

I think both

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#33 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41567 Posts

[QUOTE="SASASackguzzler"]iwata being ceo will be better than reggie that's for [darn] sure that's why they're replacing him to begin with. but iwata now isnt the iwata i grew up with.thom_maytees

Do you know what is Reggie's title is? It is not CEO, but COO. Two different positions and nothing in the press release states that Reggie will be replaced.

I'm guilty as much as the next guy on feeding trolls (who isn't?) but why bother with him? He's one of those trolls that kill braincells.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17680 Posts

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

Is this a joke ?

Blake135

iwata.jpg

Does this look like a mother **** joke to you ? 

:P

Given the current state of the Wii U, yes.
SASASackguzzler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SASASackguzzler
All im saying iwata could do a better job than reggie lol get company back on track better.
SASASackguzzler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SASASackguzzler
Notice since kaz became ceo sonys saying ps4 is for core gamers lol. He since ps1 days before ps was pure casual turd.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Good news. Now Nintendo will be gone from the industry even sooner.

NathanDrakeSwag

You live for that day, don't you? ;)

Too bad for you it won't happen anytime soon. (if at all)

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nameless12345

I wonder if that means more quality exclusive JRPGs for the Western market.

Btw - the man is a great strategic thinker and businessman.

I wouldn't underestimate him and his intelligence and visions.

It's the gamers that are slow to adapt to his creations, not vice-versa.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I hope this means that North America gets more titles that used to be "Japan only" but were announced in North America and not released in North America.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts
Yamauchi's philosophy was to give people a high end platform, Wii and Wii U would not have happened with him as CEO. Iwata can bury his head in the sand all day long. He is a nice guy and probably an great person to work for but my God does he need to whip his company into shape and start meeting those goals they set out. The Gamecube was the last Nintendo console in my eyes everything after represented nothing that the old Nintendo was known for.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hiphops_savior
[QUOTE="Grey_Eyed_Elf"]Yamauchi's philosophy was to give people a high end platform, Wii and Wii U would not have happened with him as CEO. Iwata can bury his head in the sand all day long. He is a nice guy and probably an great person to work for but my God does he need to whip his company into shape and start meeting those goals they set out. The Gamecube was the last Nintendo console in my eyes everything after represented nothing that the old Nintendo was known for.

Yamauchi's philosophy also drove 3rd party developers away and caused the damage we have seen today. Making N64 deliberately hard to develop for just to avoid shovelware? Censoring Mortal Kombat on SNES (granted it was before ratings systems show up, but the damage was done)?
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nameless12345

Yamauchi's philosophy was to give people a high end platform, Wii and Wii U would not have happened with him as CEO. Iwata can bury his head in the sand all day long. He is a nice guy and probably an great person to work for but my God does he need to whip his company into shape and start meeting those goals they set out. The Gamecube was the last Nintendo console in my eyes everything after represented nothing that the old Nintendo was known for.Grey_Eyed_Elf

That's not completely true.

Their handhelds back then were pretty weak comparatively to the competition.

But for handhelds, things like hardware power plays a smaller role comapred to battery life and portability.

Also, they did some cost-cutting on the NES, SNES, N64 and NGC. (for example the SNES used the cheaper Ricoh CPU instead of the Motorola 68000)

Yamauchi's philosophy was to make *game* systems, whereas Iwata brought in the non-gamer appeal and used their handheld philosophy with their home systems.

But from a business perspective, he was responsible for turning around Nintendo's not-so-good position at the time Yamauchi left.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="Grey_Eyed_Elf"]Yamauchi's philosophy was to give people a high end platform, Wii and Wii U would not have happened with him as CEO. Iwata can bury his head in the sand all day long. He is a nice guy and probably an great person to work for but my God does he need to whip his company into shape and start meeting those goals they set out. The Gamecube was the last Nintendo console in my eyes everything after represented nothing that the old Nintendo was known for.hiphops_savior
Yamauchi's philosophy also drove 3rd party developers away and caused the damage we have seen today. Making N64 deliberately hard to develop for just to avoid shovelware? Censoring Mortal Kombat on SNES (granted it was before ratings systems show up, but the damage was done)?

As well as gamers for that matter. I may have not noticed it back then (I was a kid), but didn't people NOT jump ship from Nintendo to PlayStation?

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#44 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26111 Posts
Yeah, people forget Yamouchi ruled with an iron fist and treated other game companies as enemies. Iwata, by contrast a game developer, always tried to symphatize and relate with 3rd party developers in places like GDC and in private business meetings. Neither attempts worked very well.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hiphops_savior

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"][QUOTE="Grey_Eyed_Elf"]Yamauchi's philosophy was to give people a high end platform, Wii and Wii U would not have happened with him as CEO. Iwata can bury his head in the sand all day long. He is a nice guy and probably an great person to work for but my God does he need to whip his company into shape and start meeting those goals they set out. The Gamecube was the last Nintendo console in my eyes everything after represented nothing that the old Nintendo was known for.nintendoboy16

As well as gamers for that matter. I may have not noticed it back then (I was a kid), but didn't people NOT jump ship from Nintendo to PlayStation?

Gamers didn't jump ship until FF7 was released and N64 had a massive drought.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"][QUOTE="Grey_Eyed_Elf"]Yamauchi's philosophy was to give people a high end platform, Wii and Wii U would not have happened with him as CEO. Iwata can bury his head in the sand all day long. He is a nice guy and probably an great person to work for but my God does he need to whip his company into shape and start meeting those goals they set out. The Gamecube was the last Nintendo console in my eyes everything after represented nothing that the old Nintendo was known for.nintendoboy16

They had to have jumped ship from Nintendo and SEGA to Playstation; PS1 sold 102.49 Million, N64 sold 32.9 Million, and Saturn sold 9.4 Million.

SNES sold 49.10 Million and Genesis/Mega Drive sold between 37.4 and 41.9 Million.

So Sony had to take some marketshare from both Nintendo and SEGA.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"] Yamauchi's philosophy also drove 3rd party developers away and caused the damage we have seen today. Making N64 deliberately hard to develop for just to avoid shovelware? Censoring Mortal Kombat on SNES (granted it was before ratings systems show up, but the damage was done)?hiphops_savior

Gamers didn't jump ship until FF7 was released and N64 had a massive drought.

Pretty sure they were jumping ship before then, Final Fantasy VII ended up being the last straw.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#48 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I'm very interested to see what differences there will be with Iwata being CEO of NoA. 

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#49 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

Iwata is the reason Nintendo has became an industry joke. Nintendo is trying to go downhill. They are doing a bang up job with it.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

NoA is kind of poopy as is so I don't know if Iwata could really make it any worse.