Iwata: "I Am Not Satisfied With Wii U’s Performance".

• 154 results
PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1 PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

The Wii U is a wonderful console- it has some great, amazing ideas, it has a community like nothing else, it has so much charm and character, it’s sturdy and reliable, it produces some gorgeous looking games, and it may just have the best library of any dedicated games machine on the market right now.

That said, it is also a resounding failure: in 2 years, it has sold 9.2 million units worldwide. To put that in perspective, it is tracking worse than the PS3, worse than the Gamecube, and it currently has not even surpassed the Dreamcast or Saturn’s lifetime sales. The system has failed to appeal to the market, which first was confused by Nintendo’s muddled messaging around the product, and then didn’t care about the product once it became clear what it was.

This situation is not lost on Satoru Iwata, the current president of Nintendo. Speaking to TIME in an exclusive interview, he said,

“Certainly I’m not satisfied with the current situation.”

However, he did add that while the Wii U may have failed to become the go to primary console this generation- something that every single Nintendo system previously had accomplished to some degree- it still held appeal as a secondary console.

Iwata: “It may not be [people’s] first console of choice, but they recognize it as perhaps the best second console.”

For Nintendo to come out and outright acknowledge the Wii U’s failure is a big deal. The company has a proud, stubborn corporate culture,where it has never in the past even once admitted that it had gone wrong – its one true failure before the Wii U, Virtual Boy, was quickly buried and relegated to footnotes entirely – so this heralds a change of some sort at Nintendo. Certainly, it seems to indicate that Nintendo is not as insular as one might have thought, and that they are aware of the Wii U’s failure, and doing their best to avoid it.

This is interesting. So Nintendo has actually admited that the Wii U is a failure. Shame, because it has some really amazing games.

What's interesting is, Nintendo said themself that they screwed up with the Wii U. So that kinda says that maybe they learned their lesson with the Wii U and will try much harder with the NX? One can only hope.

http://gamingbolt.com/nintendo-president-satoru-iwata-not-satisfied-with-wii-u#uGPLOXzGy9d4F1O6.99

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

What blows my mind, is how it has all these outstanding games, some of which are the best we've seen in years even from Nintendo... and people still don't buy it.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I wouldn't call not being first place a failure.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Surprised to hear that it hasn't surpassed the Dreamcast yet.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@Ghost120x said:

I wouldn't call not being first place a failure.

I feel sorry for all that have WiiU as first and only console

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@gameofthering said:

Surprised to hear that it hasn't surpassed the Dreamcast yet.

At one point the Dreamcast was selling for $99 and at a loss. By then Sega had pretty much given up on consoles. It makes sense that the Wii U hasn't passed the Dreamcast yet.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@foxhound_fox: Well I certainly didn't want to get the weakest console on launch again, it does look more appealing than X0 at the moment though.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

What blows my mind, is how it has all these outstanding games, some of which are the best we've seen in years even from Nintendo... and people still don't buy it.

It's not that surprising. If people had to pick one console, people would easily pick Xbox One or PS4. The Wii U has a lot of exclusive content, but it is severely lacking in third party support. The other consoles have a gauranteed future, the Wii U does not.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

There are some great games yes, like 3D World and Bayo 2, and I'm going to miss out on Xenoblade, but other than that what am I really missing? Are Smash and Kart really that much better? I still have my GC to play Melee and DD for some couch multiplayer, and those games are still as much a blast today as they were back then.

I had a long streak of owning all the Nintendo consoles, but after seeing the lack of software, it was finally time for a switch, and it feels refreshing

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Cool story, but I don't expect them to have learned anything as per usual. Gen 9 will be the same old story of broken promises and game droughts, but at least it's hard to see their next console being even worse than the Wii U, which so far has been the worst Nintendo system that I've ever owned.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

Well he clearly is satisfied enough to charge more than $50 for the piece of shit

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bunchanumbers

The sad part is that I'm constantly begged for my refurb. Family is always wanting to borrow it. Their next gen systems lay there neglected and I've even been offered a straight up trade for my Wii U. Even to this day I'm still denying the requests. I wish people would buy their own Wii U and leave mine alone.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 foxhound_fox

@JangoWuzHere said:

@foxhound_fox said:

It's not that surprising. If people had to pick one console, people would easily pick Xbox One or PS4. The Wii U has a lot of exclusive content, but it is severely lacking in third party support. The other consoles have a gauranteed future, the Wii U does not.

Funny how you say that when PC gaming is gaining in popularity at a staggering rate, and even Japanese developers are giving it support... making even the Xbone and PS4 irrelevant except for exclusive content.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PikachuDude860

@bunchanumbers said:

The sad part is that I'm constantly begged for my refurb. Family is always wanting to borrow it. Their next gen systems lay there neglected and I've even been offered a straight up trade for my Wii U. Even to this day I'm still denying the requests. I wish people would buy their own Wii U and leave mine alone.

Why don't they? It's like people think that it's "uncool" to play Nintendo games and buy Nintendo systems. Yet, they drop $100+ on DLC ridden games like Evolve and Mortal Kombat X.

@Renegade_Fury said:

Cool story, but I don't expect them to have learned anything as per usual. Gen 9 will be the same old story of broken promises and game droughts, but at least it's hard to see their next console being even worse than the Wii U, which so far has been the worst Nintendo system that I've ever owned.

We'll see.

Now, I don't think that Nintendo will do things differently just because Iwata said this. But the fact that he said this tells me that Nintendo knows what they did wrong, and just maybe they'll try much harder next gen.

If they know what they did wrong, and STILL screw things up, then I have nothing left to say.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bunchanumbers

@pikachudude860 said:

@bunchanumbers said:

Why don't they? It's like people think that it's "uncool" to play Nintendo games and buy Nintendo systems. Yet, they drop $100+ on DLC ridden games like Evolve and Mortal Kombat X.

@Renegade_Fury said:

We'll see.

Now, I don't think that Nintendo will do things differently just because Iwata said this. But the fact that he said this tells me that Nintendo knows what they did wrong, and just maybe they'll try much harder next gen.

If they know what they did wrong, and STILL screw things up, then I have nothing left to say.

Right? My brother was bragging that he bought the snoop dog voice over DLC for his CoD game but he's still begging me for my Wii U. Drives me nuts. He already said that if the next CoD game comes to Wii U he'll buy a Wii U. The funny thing is that he'd be all in on the Wii U if it had the CoDs and Maddens that he buys every year.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PikachuDude860

@bunchanumbers: Well, thet's why Nintendo needs the 3rd party support. That whole GRid think you were talking about could help. I just hope that the NX is powerful enough...But who am I kidding? 3rd parties will find something wrong with it to complain about.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Funny how you say that when PC gaming is gaining in popularity at a staggering rate, and even Japanese developers are giving it support... making even the Xbone and PS4 irrelevant except for exclusive content.

PC gaming is more expensive. If families wanted cheap access to modern gaming, they would buy the systems priced at $350-$400. They both come with blu ray and a host of multimedia features as well.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bunchanumbers

@pikachudude860 said:

@bunchanumbers: Well, thet's why Nintendo needs the 3rd party support. That whole GRid think you were talking about could help. I just hope that the NX is powerful enough...But who am I kidding? 3rd parties will find something wrong with it to complain about.

Yup! Its why GRiD needs to happen. Although its streaming, it is a future proof method. the games will always look their best. They will look better than PS4 games. I'm kinda shocked that Nintendo isn't trying to talk with them to get the service ASAP. Probably because of the AMD guts inside it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

I still believe that one reason that the Wii U became quickly unappealing is that 3rd party ditched the system too quickly. EA basically stopped supporting it a few months after it's launch. Gave it a bunch of ports too. Pretty sure one reason they left so quickly wasn't simply due to "low sales," but also due to Nintendo rejecting Origin from the system. After that 3rd party just started to slink down, granted low sales was a big part of it, but developers still barely put effort into their ports or cut features and still sold it at $60, other than Batman: Arkham Origins which did lose $20 for the Wii U version. Plus, they made a wide range of excuses for it too. The Wii U was probably bound to lose its third party support once the PS4 and Xbox One came out, but 3rd parties jumped ship too quickly and left Nintendo to fend for themselves and left the Wii U to die faster than it should have. I would like to think that with the PS3 and Xbox 360 losing support, developers might consider giving the Wii U a chance again now that they have less two consoles to develop for, but it seems like it's too late for that.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#21 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

It's a shame that the system isn't selling more than it currently is, but Nintendo has nobody to blame but themselves. They completely and utterly failed with marketing. They alienated 3rd parties with low spec proprietary hardware. I love the games, but unless you enjoy what Nintendo publishes, there's almost no reason for someone to own a Wii U.

It annoys me because the Wii U is loaded with good ideas. The Gamepad can take the HUD and other UI crap off the main screen and open up new control options(virtual hotkeys, minigames, etc). It's backwards compatible with the Wii peripherals so we can finally use pointer control in HD shooters. It's backwards compatible with Wii, and even Gamecube(unofficially) software. The Wii U should have been the ultimate backwards compatible go-to gaming system and Nintendo fucked it up with dumb choices.

Great that Iwata recognizes that performance is poor. Unless he's willing to understand the causes and actually do something to fix the problem, it won't matter.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 foxhound_fox

@JangoWuzHere said:

PC gaming is more expensive. If families wanted cheap access to modern gaming, they would buy the systems priced at $350-$400. They both come with blu ray and a host of multimedia features as well.

PC gaming isn't more expensive. The more you save on console hardware is thrown away on $70 games.

Over 5 years (the average console generation length) you can save hundreds of dollars by buying games on PC, making up for whatever cost difference there is in the beginning. And that doesn't even count Steam/Humble Bundle/GOG/GMG/etc sales.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

the Wii U may have failed to become the go to primary console this generation- something that every single Nintendo system previously had accomplished to some degree

Yeah one consoles out of the last 4 did. One successful home console in 20 years. Sony had 4 and Microsoft had 2.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

The Wii U is easily my favorite system out of the 3. I barely play my PS4 and my Xbox One is used somewhat. I play way more games on my Wii U than the other 2.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Nintendo, still blaming the product over themselves. Like I said in the other thread, hardware never stopped MS and Sony making something out of them and even improving their features through software over time.

Nintendo will continue to have these problems until they fix themselves. They can release as many home consoles as they like.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bunchanumbers

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Nintendo, still blaming the product over themselves. Like I said in the other thread, hardware never stopped MS and Sony making something out of them and even improving their features through software over time.

Nintendo will continue to have these problems until they fix themselves. They can release as many home consoles as they like.

Its not fair to say that Nintendo has not improved the Wii U since its launch. Its OS is improved, and they included features like the quickstart screen. They have done stuff to improve the system. And I'm sure they will do more too. I wouldn't be surprised if disc installs happen in the future.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

..at this point the lack of third party support is absolutely Killing them! I believe with a true price drop and 3rd parties, the WU could be(have been) reinvigorated.

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

maybe the NX will be better... maybe.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@bunchanumbers said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Its not fair to say that Nintendo has not improved the Wii U since its launch. Its OS is improved, and they included features like the quickstart screen. They have done stuff to improve the system. And I'm sure they will do more too. I wouldn't be surprised if disc installs happen in the future.

Fair enough, but I meant that MS and Sony have made massive changes to the console through updates through out it's life span. The 360 at the end of its life cycle is unrecognisable to the way it was at launch.

I don't think the Wii U needs disc installs. The PS3 had it to compensate for the slow read speeds or RAM or something and the 360 had it because it had to run the DVD drive at full speed just to play a game. The Wii U shouldn't need that, I don't think.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HalcyonScarlet
@OhSnapitz said:

..at this point the lack of third party support is absolutely Killing them! I believe with a true price drop and 3rd parties, the WU could be(have been) reinvigorated.

And that doesn't mean multiplats, they just need 3rd parties making games for them. In any capacity would be beneficial at this point.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

It is probably the best secondary console. Hopefully the NX will have hardware that is a step above the PS4 and X1. Nintendo games have a timeless charm to them and I hope they find success again in the home console market.

You can't be number 1 when the biggest games don't come to your platform.

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

No, 3rd party support to speak of or worth mentioning has a lot to do with that. It was basically a wii 2 without the exciting gimmick factor the original system brought so people didn't see a reason to buy they same console when they already had a wii.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 foxhound_fox

@playharderfool said:

@foxhound_fox said:

No, 3rd party support to speak of or worth mentioning has a lot to do with that. It was basically a wii 2 without the exciting gimmick factor the original system brought so people didn't see a reason to buy they same console when they already had a wii.

The Xbone and PS4 are more like 2.0 versions of their predecessors than the Wii U is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#34 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Well, I have nothing to add to what I've already said.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

People got tired of the same IPs all the time , even if they are of great quality. Even worse the new generation of gamers , aka 12 to 18+ dont give a crap about these franchises like older generations did which doesnt help also imho.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Marketing. If you **** up at building good public perception it doesnt matter how good your shit is.

Marketing-wise the Wii U was astonishingly misshandled

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

I feel a lot better about Nintendo's future after reading the Time article titled, "Exclusive: Inside Nintendo's Bold Plan to Stay Vibrant for the Next 125 Years. For those that don't want to read the long article my summary and paraphrase follows.

Amiibos have been a big needed success for Nintendo after 3 years of losses. The company has returned to modest profitability. Nintendo reversed course with the decision to start making games for mobile devices. Nintendo started a partnership with DeNA to develop games specifically designed for mobile devices with the ultimate goal of driving tablet and phone users to Nintendo's hardware and dedicated systems. Nintendo is listening to fans by 1) retooling to create new products, Amiibos, and 3Ds' more quickly; and 2) opening up to fans to combat a reputation for being slow to respond/adapt (example: Nintendo adapted quickly by upending plans at the final hour of development to include eye-tracking technology in the new 3DS. The new 3DS has the feature dubbed "Super-Stable 3-D). Nintendo has no plans to abandon hardware, and more details about the new Nintendo platform codenamed "NX" are due next year. Nintendo takes pride in their good name, and it will be careful in how it handles payment methods and micro-transactions. Creating dedicated hardware is still a core part of its creative process. The announcement of new mobile titles coincides with a new platform (NX). Nintendo's flights of fancy have reaped more hits than misses (one example: the Wii). Iwata is not satisfied with the weak response to the Wii U, and observes that it might be people's second choice console. Iwata observes that the Wii U may be a placeholder for the next monumental step forward. Nintendo makes the best games of any publisher and their games consistently earn top scores from critics. Iwata said he understands that it is important that smart device users have very accessible games, and that console users have games for dedicated consoles. Closing, Nintendo is straddling the traditional mode of innovation and the fast changing world of mobile devices. Nintendo recognizes that fresh ideas that are well-communicated will be needed to cut through the noise of so many competing platforms.

[My thought: Given the rumor in the System Wars forum that Microsoft has been seeking to sell the Xbox division, could it be that Nintendo bought the Xbox division. Which would explain the codename "NX" (translated Nintendo Xbox)?]

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/rumors-xbox-brand-is-up-for-sale-31923769/#117

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#38 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Marketing. If you **** up at building good public perception it doesnt matter how good your shit is.

Marketing-wise the Wii U was astonishingly misshandled

They also made the mistake Sony made last gen and Microsoft started to this gen by assuming that people who purchased their previous console were guaranteed sells for their one.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Tell him "so are we."

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AzatiS

When Iwata himself calling Wii U a secondary console .... nothing more to say here. I really think if NX fails similar to Wii U , will be the end of Nintendo in console market. I really do. So Nintendo should really be careful about it , let all gimmicks controls and fancy shit aside and better deliver both in hardware and 3rd party support or else ... oh boy !

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Nintendo shit into a bucket, called it a console, acted surprised when no one wanted it...

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Same. Especially so when you factor in the amount of dlc, remasters, and fees people pay for. Can't forget the complaining of no games and lackluster relaases. THEN there's the deals with the wiiu. $300 a few times with two great games. Simply put off buying a bogus game or dlc and get the system. I say this more as a gamer as people are actually missing out on some great games.

....................and also can't forget people buying $100 limited editions.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AzatiS

When Iwata himself calling Wii U a secondary console .... nothing more to say here.

@Heirren said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Same. Especially so when you factor in the amount of dlc, remasters, and fees people pay for. Can't forget the complaining of no games and lackluster relaases. THEN there's the deals with the wiiu. $300 a few times with two great games. Simply put off buying a bogus game or dlc and get the system. I say this more as a gamer as people are actually missing out on some great games.

....................and also can't forget people buying $100 limited editions.

Yeah , its easy to blame the people and not Wii U itself ...

Lets bypass the fact its hardware shouldnt even cost 150$ let alone it goes up to 300$ in many regions aroudn the globe , lets bypass the fact that has literally no new IPs rather than usual mario/kart/smash/zelda and repeat with very few 3rd party titles worth mention ( b2/Xeno ) , lets bypass the fact that for months now there were official statements that no more main mario games will get a release for Wii U ( that obviously means kart/smash/zelda as well ) means thats it folks and above all ..lets bypass the fact that Wii U missing 95% or more of all the AAA/AA caliber 3rd party games ...

And there you are , wondering why people arent buying a Wii U ... Its really obvious why .. combine all the reasons i gave you and there you have it ... why the heck should i buy a dying system when at the same time Iwata himself calling Wii U a secondary console ?! No , no ... no way to spend 500$ ++ to buy a Wii U for 3-4 games that worth then just be a dust collector. I prefer to buy a PC for that price or something else that will keep me busy for years and years.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@OhSnapitz said:

And that doesn't mean multiplats, they just need 3rd parties making games for them. In any capacity would be beneficial at this point.

..sorry but I have to disagree. It's not teh "exclusive" 3rd party games that is bolstering the PS4 (and to a lessor extent the XBO) its the fact that 3rd party games EXSIST on the platforms.

• GTAIV - WiiU
  • NFS Rivals - WiiU
  • DOA 5 - WiiU
  • Final Fantasy XV - WiiU
  • Metal Gear Solid PP - WiiU
  • Dragon Age Inquisition - WiiU
  • COD AW - WiiU
  • RE: Revalations 2 - WiiU
  • Mortal Kombat X - WiiU
  • Madden 25 - WiiU
  • Destiny - WiiU
  • The Witcher 3 - WiiU
  • Batman Arkham Knight - WiiU
  • Project Cars - WiiU

..are you freaking kidding me? Those games alone (ok.. along with the Ninty Staple) I would've bought a WiiU instead of a PS4.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

How about they acknowledge how they're failing those that chose to support them regardless of how it's not selling well and regardless of having strong third party support. How about giving us a reason they haven't ported finished games like Fatal Frave IV/V? How about giving us a reason NoA can't get Metroid: Zero Mission on Wii U eShop VC?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HalcyonScarlet

@OhSnapitz said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@OhSnapitz said:

..sorry but I have to disagree. It's not teh "exclusive" 3rd party games that is bolstering the PS4 (and to a lessor extent the XBO) its the fact that 3rd party games EXSIST on the platforms.

• GTAIV - WiiU
  • NFS Rivals - WiiU
  • DOA 5 - WiiU
  • Final Fantasy XV - WiiU
  • Metal Gear Solid PP - WiiU
  • Dragon Age Inquisition - WiiU
  • COD AW - WiiU
  • RE: Revalations 2 - WiiU
  • Mortal Kombat X - WiiU
  • Madden 25 - WiiU
  • Destiny - WiiU
  • The Witcher 3 - WiiU
  • Batman Arkham Knight - WiiU
  • Project Cars - WiiU

..are you freaking kidding me? Those games alone (ok.. along with the Ninty Staple) I would've bought a WiiU instead of a PS4.

Sure, but unless these Nintendo consoles are going to match the PC, PS and Xbox in specs, the Nintendo version will be very underwhelming and wouldn't be enough to make people choose them over the other gaming devices. Half the current gen games wouldn't even be possible on the Nintendo platform, especially with that CPU.

If the Wii U had 1st party games and 3rd party games suited to it, it would be a lot more appealing. Nintendo need 3rd party support, but I think it's unrealistic to think the games the other 3 gets would be beneficial for Nintendo. Even then, could you imagine the work developers would need to do to have a Wii U version. I don't think Nintendo waiving the royalty fees would be enough to make that happen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

It's really Nintendo's own fault:

1. Unclear bullshit reveal at E3 2011
  2. Unclear bullshit messaging at E3 2012
  3. Unclear messaging to developers pre-2011
  4. Disgustingly Underpowered console
  5. Lack of 3rd party support
  6. Lack of marketing
  7. Gimmicky Gamepad, explained by reasons #1-2-3
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#48 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@pikachudude860: First off good OP. I can see what Iwata means. Depending on some preferences one could easily see the WiiU being their secondary console. It is the only one I currently do not own and I will eventually.

"This is interesting. So Nintendo has actually admited that the Wii U is a failure. Shame, because it has some really amazing games."

True, but this is first and foremost a business. Great games or not, if they don't appeal to the mass consumer then it doesn't matter. What good is Michael Phelps swimming ability when he is stuck on a raft surrounded by Great White sharks?

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

Gee, what a coincidence.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50  Edited By verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

I work at an electronics store, and I don't think the lack of third party support is really killing the console as much as we believe it is.

A lot of potential buyers in my store don't buy the Wii U because there is only one tablet controller, for a family with multiple kids, they avoid this, and would rather buy a PS4 as soon as they hear about the controller situation.

When they hear "PS4", the number 4 in the name sounds to them like they did it right at least a few times if they are on the fourth one.

When people hear "Xbox One", they are also turned off by it, why am I spending $400 for something that came out 10 years ago, and then refuse to listen to anything else you have to say. They want a new console, not an old one.