Is weak third party support the biggest flaw with the Wii U?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i think nintendo burned too many bridges.... they will never have full 3rd party support. even if they beg it will take them at least 2 generations to win back 3rd party gamers. its not going to happen.

they need to either combine their handheld and consoles (fusion) or just just make handhelds. or find a better gimmick for the next console. maybe go back to the wiimote.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#53 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@farrell2k said:

The WiiU's biggest problem is the lack of first party. Nintendo owners don't care about 3rd party games, because they generally have the best 1st party to play. The thought of playing Battlefield, or whatever the **** generic shooter didn't even enter my mind when I bought my WiiU. Zelda is what did it for me.

yes they need to pump out first party games twice as much and twice as fast.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@SakusEnvoy said:

Everyone says that the Wii U is a great companion machine, but I already had a Nintendo companion machine before I got the Wii U - the 3DS. A system that receives both third party support and first party support. While I did get a Wii U eventually, I'm still not sure I'm such a hardcore Nintendo fan that I really need two separate devices for the sole purpose of playing Nintendo games. In this respect, the biggest flaw of the Wii U to me is the existence of the cheaper 3DS. Nintendo definitely needs to move forward in the future with a unified architecture so we don't have to buy multiple systems for the sole purpose of playing their games.

But the lack of third party support and the relative weakness of the console without a doubt play a big part in the console's struggles.

That is a great point. Smash Bros coming to the 3DS shows the lack of confidence Nintendo has for the Wii U. I mean if someone wanted to buy a Nintendo gaming device right now then the 3DS is the much better option. Better library of games and cheaper price tag.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@MBirdy88 said:

@Heirren said:

@MBirdy88 said:

The Wii U .... is diffidently the best "companion system" to go with one other main multiplatform machine. and its games actually focus on gameplay, unlike Sony's first party.... which wanna shove me down pretty corridors with crap gameplay.

Games have reached that movie-goer crowd of an in-and-out payment method, for the most part. Been using the N64 alot recently. All gameplay. Goldeneye not only holds up but is more enjoyable that most games of today. That risk/reward needs to come back to games.

Indeed.... thing is I find Sony the worst offender of ALL systems.

Microsoft ... at least does online gaming well in its first party games... and funnily enough they are gameplay focused (Halo, Forza, killer instinct ect).

Nintendo ... I don't need to explain.

PC .... most of its most popular games are so gameplay/competitive focused.... cinematic gaming has NEVER been the systems MAIN objective, just a massive plus... console gamers can't see to realise that though.

Sony.... Infamous? BLEH, Killzone LOL , Resistance LOL, LBP ... turned out nowhere near mario quality. All Stars LOL. Uncharted/TLOU pretty games with outdated TPS gameplay..... OH BUT THOSE AWARDS... The Order... SIGH ZZzzzzz

Only Bloodborne stands out because of its gameplay/risk reward/comeptitive .... everything else is a cinematic snoozefest.

Honestly dunno why I bought a PS4.... shoulda just went Xbox One because my only console playing mates have them.... and sony's first party is looking rather bleak ironically.

Is that a fact? Or your opinion?

well i suppose my lists are factual enough. the only opinion bit is how much of a snoozefest linear corridor graphic whoring non-gameplay focused games are... but I'm sure game populations and cult fandom would be in my opinion's favour im sure... but oh those awards right... from critics... which are currently under fire for being usless in our industry.

I think Uncharted is great. The gameplay is some of the best out of those types of games. It isn't pure gameplay, I'll agree there, but it is its own thing. What I don't understand is why Naughty Dog doesn't improve the climbing sections, etc. I know that those part are more of a playable cinematic and used to set the scene, tone, but the game would benefit if it felt more seamless. Then there is Killzone. The FPS genre has just gotten sooooooo lousy with a few exceptions. Halo is great. It is really going back to a more pure shooter--I was mighty surprised by Halo 4 after being disappointed with Reach. The odd thing about this genre is that people complain and complain but then will say how awful a game like Rage is, yet it really gets the shooting mechanics spot on.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By emgesp

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@emgesp said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@emgesp said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@emgesp said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@locopatho said:

Replace Wii Sports with Mario Kart then.

Where's your source on market share? Your initial argument was that sales are what determines whether or not something is "amazing". Don't start moving the goal post now that you put your foot in your mouth.

So in the same way that the Wii sales don't count because they were a different customer base, maybe PS4 sales shouldn't count because the majority are blind fanboys who are loyal because of name recognition, because it sure as hell isn't because of the plethora of games.

The long and short of it is this: Sales don't equal quality. The Wii U is EASILY the best next generation system for now and will continue to be until at least the middle of 2015.

Hardcore Nintendo fans are the ones saying how much better Nintendo exclusives are than multiplats, yet look at the Wii U sales. Obviously, the demand isn't there. People want to play competitive multiplayer shooters, or open world games with non-linear elements. Can Nintendo give gamers those experiences with their first party titles? Where is Nintendo's answer to COD/Skyrim/GTA? They don't have one yet and from what I can tell they aren't even interested in making those kinds of games, so guess what the core gamer will just continue to ignore Nintendo.

Hey, if Nintendo is happy just catering to the 15 million or so die hard Nintendo fans that are left then they can just continue on the same path going forward, but if they ever want to truly compete with the likes of Sony/Microsoft then they will have to change their approach. No more of this ridiculously underpowered garbage with unnecessary controller gimmicks that just drive the price up. They need to start bringing edge to their company and stop worrying about being some family friendly business.

Again your failure to understand that sales do not equal a good product is at the crux of this issue. You cite Call of Duty as an example that Nintendo needs and answer to. Why? Call of Duty is garbage. Just because it sells to the millions of gamers that blindly buy a product because of name means nothing.

Beyond Good and Evil and Bayonetta are just two examples of exemplary games that did not sell well at all. Those games are bad because the masses didn't purchase them? Of course not.

Nintendo produces QUALITY games.

Source #1 - 5 of the top 10 games

Source #2 - 5 of the top 10 games

And neither of these lists take into account the NES/SNES era, when Nintendo was arguable even better at producing genre defining videogame masterpieces.

Then Nintendo better be happy only selling around 15 million units per console generation going forward. They need games that will get the attention of people who enjoy more mature titles. Mario/Zelda games are great for the core Nintendo crowd, but what about all those other gamers who don't necessarily like those titles? Shouldn't Nintendo also try and make games that appeal to the majority of gamers out there as well, especially when third party developers packed up and ran? Nintendo can no longer only cater to Nintendo fans, because there isn't enough Nintendo fans out there to support a home console with. 15 million gamers aren't worth the investment a new console generation brings.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

Not really.

People buy Nintendo systems to play their first party games. If you purchase one to play 3rd parties...you are wrong.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By emgesp

@Bruin1986 said:

Not really.

People buy Nintendo systems to play their first party games. If you purchase one to play 3rd parties...you are wrong.

So then Nintendo should only expect a install base of around 15-20 million per console generation going forward. Nintendo will not be able to sell 30+ million units on the existing 1st party franchises they have now. The only way they will be able to sell well again is if they either start making games that cater more towards western audiences, or if they somehow come up with another gimmick that draws the casuals in again. Mario/Zelda games alone aren't enough.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@Heirren said:

@MBirdy88 said:

The Wii U .... is diffidently the best "companion system" to go with one other main multiplatform machine. and its games actually focus on gameplay, unlike Sony's first party.... which wanna shove me down pretty corridors with crap gameplay.

Games have reached that movie-goer crowd of an in-and-out payment method, for the most part. Been using the N64 alot recently. All gameplay. Goldeneye not only holds up but is more enjoyable that most games of today. That risk/reward needs to come back to games.

Microsoft ... at least does online gaming well in its first party games... and funnily enough they are gameplay focused (Halo, Forza, killer instinct ect).

PC .... most of its most popular games are so gameplay/competitive focused.... cinematic gaming has NEVER been the systems MAIN objective, just a massive plus... console gamers can't see to realise that though.

Sony.... Infamous? BLEH, Killzone LOL , Resistance LOL, LBP ... turned out nowhere near mario quality. All Stars LOL. Uncharted/TLOU pretty games with outdated TPS gameplay..... OH BUT THOSE AWARDS... The Order... SIGH ZZzzzzz

Only Bloodborne stands out because of its gameplay/risk reward/comeptitive .... everything else is a cinematic snoozefest.

Honestly dunno why I bought a PS4.... shoulda just went Xbox One because my only console playing mates have them.... and sony's first party is looking rather bleak ironically.

MS does have a flaw they'd rather buy franchises than make more than what they've already have and do things that are short term investments like timed exclusives

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#60 PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

Maybe, but I dunno. It's not like Call of Duty will make Wii U's fly off of shelves.

It IS a problem, but not a viable deal breaker unless the Wi U is your ONLY console. (Unless you have a gaming PC)

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Heirren said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@MBirdy88 said:

@Heirren said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Is that a fact? Or your opinion?

well i suppose my lists are factual enough. the only opinion bit is how much of a snoozefest linear corridor graphic whoring non-gameplay focused games are... but I'm sure game populations and cult fandom would be in my opinion's favour im sure... but oh those awards right... from critics... which are currently under fire for being usless in our industry.

I think Uncharted is great. The gameplay is some of the best out of those types of games. It isn't pure gameplay, I'll agree there, but it is its own thing. What I don't understand is why Naughty Dog doesn't improve the climbing sections, etc. I know that those part are more of a playable cinematic and used to set the scene, tone, but the game would benefit if it felt more seamless. Then there is Killzone. The FPS genre has just gotten sooooooo lousy with a few exceptions. Halo is great. It is really going back to a more pure shooter--I was mighty surprised by Halo 4 after being disappointed with Reach. The odd thing about this genre is that people complain and complain but then will say how awful a game like Rage is, yet it really gets the shooting mechanics spot on.

the FPS genre suffers from the same problem the MMORPG genre does at the moment.

Most people arn't FPS game fans... they are fuggin CoD or Halo fans. Just like most MMORPG players are not MMORPG fans... just World of Warcraft fans.

Drawn to a singular game in that genre... with a rare other exception.

I tend to ignore these people now.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62 MirkoS77  Online
Member since 2011 • 17689 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

You're not obligated to many of those things. You're right. But it's BS to try and paint a picture that isn't there. Nintendo doesn't sell because people perceive them to not be the IT console. Or the coolest company.

I game on EVERY console. But I'd be foolish to ignore one company because of the perception that people have about a particular company.

I don't need to paint a picture, it's as plain as day for all to see. I agree that Nintendo has a perception problem, but I question how much that has had on its overall performance.

Do you think Nintendo is at all responsible for that problem? Or any number of problems plaguing them?

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

It's one of the many problems, I'm afraid.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I would say that it is one of the reasons. I DO know a good deal of people (both online and real life) that won't buy one because it has Little to no 3rd party support. But I think it might be a question of chicken/egg and the hill those slide Down on (yeah chicken and egg, I get you but hill? wtf?)

3rd party will not really be a thing for the Wii U due to a few different reasons.

1) The percived image of the Wii U, a toy at worst, and a real low spec console at best (meaning that games would have to be altered and cut Down in alot of cases). So alot of games would not run well. However the almost complete lack of 3rd party content can hardly be blamed at the hardware (since PS360 still gets cross gen games).

2) The 3rd party devs and pubs claim that anything not Nintendo doess'nt sell on the system, which is true for the most part. But what gamer would like to pick the version of the game that they are told is the worst? Or worse reported not to run well at all? The games are rarely advertised on the system, so ofcourse alot of consumers will hardly know the game exists on the system.

3) The Wii U marketing was a nightmare, it was presented exactly as a Family friendly relaxed uncomplicated toy. So most people WHO would buy it has the image form the ad campaigns that it is a fairly simple console, that exists in its own vacuum. This in turn ofcourse makes it a selffulfilling prophety. It gets picked up by people not interrested in 3rd party (that gets Little face time on the console).

So 3rd Party aint helping the system, and Nintendos stupid ad campaign enforces the belief that 3rd party would not Work on the system.

This would be the chicken and egg, Nintendo creates users that are unaware of the 3rd party games, and as a result 3rd party stops advertising for the Wii U (On consoles ads DO sell games).

Now what about the Hill? Well that would be the machine itself, right now with the cross gen games there might be working 3rd party on the system, If Nintendo reached out thier hands like they did in the 80's (well they didd'nt but devs did not have alot of choice back then). But shortly cross gen will not exist and the Wii U will simply not run 3rd party games all that well, mening a bumpy ride (hence the hill anology).

I Believe that it wa the adverts that started this, since the Wii U is a really nice console, currently it is my preferred, My Wii U has more storage Space then my PS4, better games, and ironically it has the better control options. But few people know, or care, because nomatter how a fanboy would like to see the World, it is the Multiplats that tends to sell, and they sell hardware too. So all those ads with Battlefield, Call of Duty, Destiny. And the Wii U is not amongst those, so most consumers that are not really fond of Nintendo games ofcourse logically avoid the machine. However all of the above Works on 360 if I remember correctly.

I hope that Nintendo goes for a powerhouse NeXT time, pays the license fee for the media they use, instead of using own sub versions of it. And mend bonds with 3rd party as a Whole (most people say Nintendo has a bad relationship with the West, which might be true, but they also have a fairly cold relationship with Japans own developers and Publishers).

In Short: Yeah the lack of 3rd party Hurts Nintendo, but I think the start of the problem lies with the way they presented the system.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

The target audience with the Wii is just all over the place. I think the main problem is the price, its way to high for what it offers. The lack of 3rd party games is not helping it either. Nintendo needs to focus on who they want to sell the system to, and do a better job at selling the system. I like their tablet controller, but before I used I wanted nothing to do with that controller. Also they need to keep up hardware wise with sony and MS if they expect 3rd party support. Nintendo pretty much need to change their whole imagine on how people see their consoles, and at the same time keep the charm that makes Nintendo systems so great. At this point nothing will save the Wii U.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50646 Posts

That and Nintendo releasing the same game over and over again.

I'd love to buy games for it, but it just feels like the same shit they've been releasing for years.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#67 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It's one of the bigger flaws no doubt. Considering that the System is well capable of handling anything a 360 and PS3 can take and yet those systems are getting better support than the WiiU, a System that is Guaranteed to live well beyond the next 3 to 5 years.

Yet 3rd Party Publishers didn't see demand for these games on Nintendo systems nor did they even try (sans Ubisoft, I'm willing to say they gave it a good shot).

I would have loved to see FarCry 3 on WiiU, I would have bought Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider on WiiU, Metal Gear Solid 5 would have been amazing to play on the Gamepad. Destiny would have be a bliss.

But Nintendo dropped a hard one on WiiU and it shows. At least we have Bayonetta and Smash Bros.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart: I can see 3 years, but I'm pretty sure the system will be dead by 2017. If past precedent (the Gamecube and N64) is any indication, Nintendo usually puts unsuccessful systems on a 5 year lifecycle.

And even though the Wii had a 6 year lifecycle, it was all but dead after 5 years too.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@Heirren said:

**** no. Biggest flaw is the industry itself along with the general gamer. Just look around the forum. It defies logic the things people say to one another. Wiiu is really the only console worth owning yet people somehow hold some grudge against the thing. When I was a kid and I saw a game, regardless of system, I'd think "wow I'd really like to play that." It was more about the game than any kind of branding. Most 3rd party games are crap anyways.

/Thread

Like seriously. Most "core" gamers have this bs notion of what a hardcore game is. True "core" gamers don't play favorites with consoles and they play as many great games as possible despite what system they are on. If financially they are not at a level where they can afford all the systems then of course people will have favorites, and inevitably pick a system.

Sales does not equal quality btw. Wii was one of the best selling Nintendo systems and coincidentally also their worst. Gamecube was one of their worst selling systems and one of their best in quality.

• I'm not obligated to subpar and half-assed online
  • I'm not obligated to gimmicks
  • I'm not obligated to suffer continual droughts
  • I'm not obligated to region locking and digital account policies that reside in the year 2001
  • I'm not obligated to poor Western software support

1.) The online on Mario Kart 8 and BLOPS 2 works perfectly fine. Not half-assed in the least. Are there BETTER services. Yes. Does that negate the fact that Nintendo offers online services? No. Not only that but Miiverse is actually and interested and creative way to experience online. And its absolutely free.

2.) The tablet controller isn't a gimmick. It is underutilized by Nintendo and other developers but it isn't a gimmick. If it's a gimmick than so is connect and Vita's PS4 functionality.

3.) So you must not game on Xbox One or PS4

4.) Digital accounts I agree with.

5.) The Western support is gone yes I agree. But many of the games you are referencing are underdelivering or delayed.

You're not obligated to many of those things. You're right. But it's BS to try and paint a picture that isn't there. Nintendo doesn't sell because people perceive them to not be the IT console. Or the coolest company.

I game on EVERY console. But I'd be foolish to ignore one company because of the perception that people have about a particular company.

• Online services is kind of subjective. But what you can't refute is the lack of online titles. If games like Mario Allstars (and the upcoming Mario creator) does not have online, how can one think that Nintendo actually takes online seriously. btw, F2P online games are still free on the PS4.
  • "Gimmick" is subjective. But as you stated even Nintendo doesn't utilize the Tablet to it's fullest and the system is turning 2 yrs old in a few months. And you only can use one per system. That's not a selling point.
  • Again subjective.
  • Already addressed
  • The quality of 3rd party games is subjective (although reviews state otherwise). Either way those games are not on the WiiU. Missing out on games like GTAV, TR, Diablo III, Minecraft, ect.. ect..ect.. is not a "PLUS" or a selling point for the WiiU.

Neither of us know the EXACT reason why the Wii U is not selling but one can guess that lack of marketing, lack of a fleshed out online infrastructure, lack of BR disc playback, lack of storage, lack of 3rd party support, and lack of FULL utilization of the Table are contributing factors.

Personally, I wanted a WiiU, but I also wanted to play games like Mario Allstars online.. but I can't. It's not because the wiiu isn't the "IT" console.. it's because the WiiU doesn't do what I would like it to do (especially for $300).

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 LegatoSkyheart

@SakusEnvoy said:

@LegatoSkyheart: I can see 3 years, but I'm pretty sure the system will be dead by 2017. If past precedent (the Gamecube and N64) is any indication, Nintendo usually puts unsuccessful systems on a 5 year lifecycle.

And even though the Wii had a 6 year lifecycle, it was all but dead after 5 years too.

The Wii wasn't officially dead till March (or was it May?) of this year when Nintendo killed it's Online ability.

But I might agree with you. With Ubisoft pulling the plug on 7th gen and soon many publishers will follow suit, I think We might see a new Console from Nintendo in 2017. If not then then 2018.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@SakusEnvoy said:

They'll be another Nintendo Platform by Christmas 2017.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By LegatoSkyheart

@OhSnapitz: Yeah the "NEW" 3DS.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

It's more like what's not wrong with nintendo at this point 3rd party support is just one of the issues. The price is a major issue at 300 bucks it's only 100 less than a ps4 and x1. The online is the worst and the support is also. The wii u has only 32gb of memory shit my cell phone has more. The hardware is so weak that there is already a wii u emulator for the pc and it's almost stable ie wii u useless. The 1st party games that get great reviews in the press get little interest in the real world. The games are frankly stale from my perspective how many mario/smash/zelda/platformer/kart games can I play for 20 years with similar music and art??

The tablet is a gimmick with crappy battery life and the os is a joke. The damn thing does not even play blu-rays or dvd's for the love of GOD!!

The game prices are very high even on old games to rub salt in the wound. Then you have the 3ds that has many of the same games and 3rd party support and it portable for less. Nintendo is a soup sandwich that is why their sales are are horrible and the leadership is stuck in the past. The wii u has a very limited appeal to hardcore sheep Nintendo seems to be living off their past glories. Next gen game streaming and 4k will be standard features most likely Nintendo will just do 1080 next gen.