Is Walking Dead really GOTY material?

• 154 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trinitarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Trinitarian
Member since 2007 • 1407 Posts

Well, i've been reading the threads on GOTY votes here on system wars. And to my surprise, Walking Dead is getting quite of few votes. I tried the demo and wasn't really sold. However, i'm sure that's just a fraction of the game since it does have a cult following obviously.

Well my question are as followed:

Does this game have any survival strategies? Like collecting food, water, ect?

Is there any type of gamesplay besides QTE?

Is this game all about choice and story?

Anything else you want to add?

And can an arcade game like this really be worthy of the title GOTY?

Replay Value?

Half the reason is i'm raising this topic is cause i got 2500msp that i was going to buy DLC for Halo4, Borderlands 2, Dark Souls and xcom. Is this series so good to pass up on those DLCs? If so, sell me the idea why cause i just might bite.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
It's an adventure game. Playing a demo won't give you much ideas. And from what I see, only the arcade games have won GOTY for at least a decade now.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Trinitarian

Actually, there aren't all that many QTEs in the thing. Mostly they amount to "thing has grabbed you, push it off." Most of the gameplay is standard point-and-click adventure fare, though with more emphasis on dialogue than puzzles.

I'm actually pretty darn glad that a smaller game with a story that doesn't suck is getting attention, rather than all the glory going to the mass-produced triple-A titles like Halo or Mass Effect.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Well, i've been reading the threads on GOTY votes here on system wars. And to my surprise, Walking Dead is getting quite of few votes. I tried the demo and wasn't really sold. However, i'm sure that's just a fraction of the game since it does have a cult following obviously.

Replay Value?

Half the reason is i'm raising this topic is cause i got 2500msp that i was going to buy DLC for Halo4, Borderlands 2, Dark Souls and xcom. Is this series so good to pass up on those DLCs? If so, sell me the idea why cause i just might bite.

Trinitarian

Kinda, you can collect food to give to people you like

You walk around and collect things, with some light puzzle solving and QTEs

Yes, it's all about choices you make and how the members of the group react to them

Yes it is GOTY quality. It's one of the freshest games I've play this entire generation, the story is really good, the characters are really good.

You can replay the episodes to see how other choices work

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Well, texasgoldrush doesn't think it is.

So I'm all for it.

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

I've only played the first two episodes but from them I can saythey are great games and deserve recognition.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

That's like asking if a game that won Game of the Year, is Game of the Year material.

Which you are doing, so stop it. It's a great game, not perfect (and I think Heavy Rain actually pulled off the interactive story thing better), but it's got great characters, it's well paced, the choices you make are harrowing, and it's just a good game.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Short answer yes it's goty material (3rd fav game this year). Lee and Clem are just amazing as a character duo.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 funsohng

So I'm all for it.

DarkLink77
If texasgoldrush says it ain't, it is.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17443 Posts
The Walking Dead is an adventure game. Kind of like the point and click PC games like Myst where you control your character, but not in the traditional, open levels type game. Its about story and choices. Also, i wouldnt consider it just an arcade game. Its 5 parts, each being 2-3hrs long, so its longer than most games this gen. If you love great stories, and games with choices that effect your game from chapter to chapter, then you will love this. I cant wait to get the disc version so i can play the whole game. (not a fan of DD games)
MaskedPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 MaskedPlayer
Member since 2012 • 892 Posts

Is the walking dead shown on English TV?I have never seen the show and I really want to buy the games.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14918 Posts
Just finished it.....as a story, its great....as a game, its one of the most overrated games this year. The story is great, however, the gameplay is nowhere near as good as other point and click adventures...and its no Kings Quest VI, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, The Longest Journey, or Grim Fandango....which all have better puzzles and far better adventure elements than the Walking Dead. The only real awards should be best new character for Clementine and maybe best script. Its not a complete game like Mass Effect 3, Far Cry 3, and what Assassin's Creed III should have been.. And really for all the choices in the game, they really do not matter. It all ends the same.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 texasgoldrush

Is the walking dead shown on English TV?I have never seen the show and I really want to buy the games.

MaskedPlayer
The show is vastly overrated, the game's writing completely obliterates the show.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 texasgoldrush

That's like asking if a game that won Game of the Year, is Game of the Year material.

Which you are doing, so stop it. It's a great game, not perfect (and I think Heavy Rain actually pulled off the interactive story thing better), but it's got great characters, it's well paced, the choices you make are harrowing, and it's just a good game.

SPYDER0416
As much as I am calling Walking Dead overrated (along the lines of being GOTY matrial)....it is so much better than Heavy Rain.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 texasgoldrush

So I'm all for it.

DarkLink77
and it isn't.... its not a complete game......compare the gameplay to past adventure games and its hollow.
NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

MaskedPlayer

You don't need to watch the shows at all, I haven't seen a single episode or read a single comic but I still enjoyed the games.

Trinitarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Trinitarian
Member since 2007 • 1407 Posts

SPYDER0416
Get off your high horse and learn how to read before you post something this ignorant. If you even read the OP you know that i'm not criticizing the game, rather i'm gathering info from the community on how good it really is cause i might want to get it. The topic raised the question cause i was surprised the game was getting this kind of attention.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ballroompirate

[QUOTE="MaskedPlayer"]

texasgoldrush

The show is vastly overrated, the game's writing completely obliterates the show.

That is the stupidest thing you've ever said.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

Trinitarian

No.

Not much. Just some really easy puzzles and slowly walking around in a small area and talking to people. If you like gameplay, this isn't for you.

Yes and no. You get to make ton of decisions during the game, but in the end your choices don't matter. Same people will die and same ones will live. Only thing that might change is when and how some people die. Basically it's Mass Effect 3 all over again, only worse.

In my opinion it's not GOTY, but I'm happy for those who really like it.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="MaskedPlayer"]

Ballroompirate

no...the games writing is actually far better....even some reviewers agree.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ballroompirate

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] The show is vastly overrated, the game's writing completely obliterates the show.texasgoldrush

Outside of Lee and Clem the writing was horrible in TWD game

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="Trinitarian"]

No.

Icarian

Not much. Just some really easy puzzles and slowly walking around in a small area and talking to people. If you like gameplay, this isn't for you.

Yes and no. You get to make ton of decisions during the game, but in the end your choices don't matter. Same people will die and same ones will live. Only thing that might change is when and how some people die. Basically it's Mass Effect 3 all over again, only worse.

In my opinion it's not GOTY, but I'm happy for those who really like it.

This..... But in Mass Effect 3, almost any character can live or die based on your decisions, from the past games and in ME3. This beats the Walking Dead. But basically, the choices in Walking Dead are better than Mass Effect 3, but the consquences in Mass Effect 3 are better than the Walking Dead.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

Ballroompirate

and Lee and Clem are the heart of the story....the TV series isn't that good.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ballroompirate

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] no...the games writing is actually far better....even some reviewers agree.texasgoldrush

Yet it's on season 3, getting better each season which everyone that has actually watched the series agrees on. Your opinion is null and void like usual.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 texasgoldrush

Ballroompirate

Yet it's on season 3, getting better each season which everyone that has actually watched the series agrees on. Your opinion is null and void like usual.

and still, its not as good as the game.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Ballroompirate

TV series is trash, especially compared to the comic books.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ChubbyGuy40

and still, its not as good as the game.texasgoldrush

Still better than having to suffer through Mass Effect 3.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]and still, its not as good as the game.ChubbyGuy40

Still better than having to suffer through Mass Effect 3.

please....ME3 has won its share of awards and is the best reviewed game this year. Get over the hate.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] and Lee and Clem are the heart of the story....the TV series isn't that good.texasgoldrush

and still, its not as good as the game.

True that. Although at least series 3 is entertaining which is good. Series 1 was good and interesting (probably because it was only 6 episodes, wish they'd stuck with that) but oh man, 2 was probably one of the most boring seasons of TV ever, I sat through the episodes for the 5 minutes of development they actually put in that wasn't just someone complaining or whining about something.
starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts
I'm pretty curious about this as well. This was what I least expected to see become GoTY out of the nominees. Want to get the first episode and see, but I haven't seen the TV show. How far connected are they? Do you need to have watched the show to properly enjoy the games?
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ChubbyGuy40

I'm pretty curious about this as well. This was what I least expected to see become GoTY out of the nominees. Want to get the first episode and see, but I haven't seen the TV show. How far connected are they? Do you need to have watched the show to properly enjoy the games?starjet905

The Telltale game and comic is set in the same universe. The only connection is a few appearances by some of the characters.

The TV show is set in another, and the Activision abomination game will tie into it.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ChubbyGuy40

please....ME3 has won its share of awards and is the best reviewed game this year. texasgoldrush

The Walking Dead and Persona 4 Golden are both rated higher.

Get over the hate.texasgoldrush

says the one who flips his sh*t when ME3 didn't win any award.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

Considering how bad its competition is this year, yeah it is GOTY. I can't think of a worse year for video games (well I probably can, but I'm hyperbole-ing), it even topped last year for awfulness.

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="MaskedPlayer"]

Ballroompirate

He's right, the show blows compared to the game.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts
it has one of the best stories in any game this year, not really much in terms of gameplay but there's enough there to call it a game, and it's a lot of fun, I haven't got to play the last episode yet but 1 - 4 were great, just hope it has an ending I can live with anyhow, a debt of gratitude to those that were vocal about their love of the game, initially I passed it up but people kept talking about it episode after episode, so by the time the last episode came I figured hell I should give it a shot, and I'm so glad I did, man I was hooked, I knocked out 4 episodes in a row, I can see why people were so hooked, don't regret playing it late though because now I didn't have to wait like people have done since the first episode
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

First of all, there's like hundreds of games like TWD. The genre is called ADVENTURE GAME. Games like Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Broken Sword, Discworld, Syberia etc. (though these are all primarely PC)

Does this game have any survival strategies? Like collecting food, water, ect? - There is collecting food and making tough choices regarding it, but it's not the kind you want. It's part of the story, not the gameplay.

Is there any type of gamesplay besides QTE? - It's an adventure game, you do logic puzzles and talk to people. You pick items from inventory and use them with other items. And there aren't really any QTEs in this game besides some minor button mashing.

Is this game all about choice and story? - Again, it's an adventure game, it's about story and small puzzles.

And can an arcade game like this really be worthy of the title GOTY? - Do you even know what arcade game means? TWD is not one. And yes, it's my personal GOTY. I've been playing adventure games for a long time, and this one is among the best.

Replay Value? - Unlike say Mass Effect, your choices actually matter here. Apart from that, have you ever watched a movie that was so great you had to watch it several times? I personally replay games solely for the story (in games like say Dragon Age I always choose the same choices)

As for the TV show, this game's story and writing is like a hundred times better.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Replay Value?

Trinitarian

The game is very well made with a strong choice based system where it actually matters what choices you make. Replay value? I played the PC version and someway or another my save was deleted so I had to play through the first three episodes again and it is amazing that different things do happen depending on whether you wait to travel or how you make choices or who in the group becomes your friend.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]please....ME3 has won its share of awards and is the best reviewed game this year. ChubbyGuy40

The Walking Dead and Persona 4 Golden are both rated higher.

Get over the hate.texasgoldrush

says the one who flips his sh*t when ME3 didn't win any award.

Not enough reviews....and each episode is rated lower than ME3. Persona 4 Golden is a remake, it don't count.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 texasgoldrush

First of all, there's like hundreds of games like TWD. The genre is called ADVENTURE GAME. Games like Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Broken Sword, Discworld, Syberia etc. (though these are all primarely PC)

Does this game have any survival strategies? Like collecting food, water, ect? - There is collecting food and making tough choices regarding it, but it's not the kind you want. It's part of the story, not the gameplay.

Is there any type of gamesplay besides QTE? - It's an adventure game, you do logic puzzles and talk to people. You pick items from inventory and use them with other items. And there aren't really any QTEs in this game besides some minor button mashing.

Is this game all about choice and story? - Again, it's an adventure game, it's about story and small puzzles.

And can an arcade game like this really be worthy of the title GOTY? - Do you even know what arcade game means? TWD is not one. And yes, it's my personal GOTY. I've been playing adventure games for a long time, and this one is among the best.

Replay Value? - Unlike say Mass Effect, your choices actually matter here. Apart from that, have you ever watched a movie that was so great you had to watch it several times? I personally replay games solely for the story (in games like say Dragon Age I always choose the same choices)

As for the TV show, this game's story and writing is like a hundred times better.

Darth_Kane
Your choices don't really matter...it all ends the same. You want an adventure game that has your choices matter, play this...is a far better game than the Walking Dead. And the gameplay and puzzles are FAR better. http://store.steampowered.com/app/6010/
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

[QUOTE="Trinitarian"]

PannicAtack

Actually, there aren't all that many QTEs in the thing. Mostly they amount to "thing has grabbed you, push it off." Most of the gameplay is standard point-and-click adventure fare, though with more emphasis on dialogue than puzzles.

I'm actually pretty darn glad that a smaller game with a story that doesn't suck is getting attention, rather than all the glory going to the mass-produced triple-A titles like Halo or Mass Effect.

Agreed. Though Walking Dead may not be my fave genre, it's nice to see "the little guy" win for a change.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 funsohng
Is this going to end up like the other countless threads that texasgoldrush hijacks? I think it very well may be.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 texasgoldrush
Is this going to end up like the other countless threads that texasgoldrush hijacks? I think it very well may be.funsohng
and how did I hijack this thread? I answered the posts question.....seems you did not like my answer.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 funsohng
[QUOTE="funsohng"]Is this going to end up like the other countless threads that texasgoldrush hijacks? I think it very well may be.texasgoldrush
and how did I hijack this thread? I answered the posts question.....seems you did not like my answer.

I give no sh*t about what you say. I'm just saying how in the hell is it that whenever you make a post in a thread, everything somehow becomes an epic Mass Effect defense thread.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="funsohng"]Is this going to end up like the other countless threads that texasgoldrush hijacks? I think it very well may be.funsohng

I give no sh*t about what you say. I'm just saying how in the hell is it that whenever you make a post in a thread, everything somehow becomes an epic Mass Effect defense thread.

and yet they become them because someone has to bash Mass Effect...get over it. And the choice and consquence mechanics of ME3 and TWD can be compared.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 funsohng
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] and how did I hijack this thread? I answered the posts question.....seems you did not like my answer.

and yet they become them because someone has to bash Mass Effect...get over it. And the choice and consquence mechanics of ME3 and TWD can be compared.

And it's usually because you go over your way to protect it so rigorously, no?
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="funsohng"] I give no sh*t about what you say. I'm just saying how in the hell is it that whenever you make a post in a thread, everything somehow becomes an epic Mass Effect defense thread.

And why should I let people voice ignorant and untrue criticisms about the game? Which th einternet seems to be doing.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 funsohng
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] and yet they become them because someone has to bash Mass Effect...get over it. And the choice and consquence mechanics of ME3 and TWD can be compared.

And why should I let people voice ignorant and untrue criticisms about the game? Which th einternet seems to be doing.

As much as I love Mass Effect 3, the game has glaring flaws, and a lot of things that you protect in the game are those flaws. Bioware messed up. They did sh*tty job with a lot of parts in the game. They did some great things with it, especially the combat, but they f*cked up story and choices. The new characters were mostly ridiculous, and the one that was interesting was DLC only. They promised the choices in the first two games were going to be impacting the ending, but in the end, they rarely mattered. And ending was hideous, a bad ripoff of Deus Ex, and just plain bad. Destroyed lore. You say you shouldn't let people voice ignorance, but you are not realizing that it's you that is voicing ignorance and refusing to accept and try to understand what others are even saying. And as for it getting high scores, well, I was never a believer of scores, or video gaming "journalism" for that matter.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ChubbyGuy40

Not enough reviews....and each episode is rated lower than ME3. Persona 4 Golden is a remake, it don't count.texasgoldrush

You don't get to make special rules just because you can't accept the facts.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ChubbyGuy40

Your choices don't really matter...it all ends the same.texasgoldrush

Just like Mass Effect 3.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Yes, it is

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
The game is really really good at what it does, I enjoy the hell out of it and I typically despise zombie games. Goty material? idk, maybe. Wouldn't be my first choice, but it has potential.