Is Walking Dead really GOTY material?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by NirdBerd (2116 posts) -

What the hell is 'GOTY material'? Any game that a massive amount of people enjoyed will be a potential game of the year

#52 Posted by Lulekani (2151 posts) -

First of all, there's like hundreds of games like TWD. The genre is called ADVENTURE GAME. Games like Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Broken Sword, Discworld, Syberia etc. (though these are all primarely PC)

Does this game have any survival strategies? Like collecting food, water, ect? - There is collecting food and making tough choices regarding it, but it's not the kind you want. It's part of the story, not the gameplay.

Is there any type of gamesplay besides QTE? - It's an adventure game, you do logic puzzles and talk to people. You pick items from inventory and use them with other items. And there aren't really any QTEs in this game besides some minor button mashing.

Is this game all about choice and story? - Again, it's an adventure game, it's about story and small puzzles.

And can an arcade game like this really be worthy of the title GOTY? - Do you even know what arcade game means? TWD is not one. And yes, it's my personal GOTY. I've been playing adventure games for a long time, and this one is among the best.

Replay Value? - Unlike say Mass Effect, your choices actually matter here. Apart from that, have you ever watched a movie that was so great you had to watch it several times? I personally replay games solely for the story (in games like say Dragon Age I always choose the same choices)

As for the TV show, this game's story and writing is like a hundred times better.

Darth_Kane
I think by arcade he meant XBL Arcade, you know, as in Digital Download, he does own an Xbox and MS Points afterall, and other than that you are totaly on point. Just please consider being more polite about it next time.
#53 Posted by CDUB316 (6589 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] The show is vastly overrated, the game's writing completely obliterates the show.texasgoldrush

That is the stupidest thing you've ever said.

no...the games writing is actually far better....even some reviewers agree.

yes I too think the games writing is vastly better than the tv show....but the show is still freaking amazing

#54 Posted by Lucianu (9538 posts) -

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

CDUB316

no...the games writing is actually far better....even some reviewers agree.

yes I too think the games writing is vastly better than the tv show....but the show is still freaking amazing

On the subject of the show, i like it hella more than the comic books, they pulled off the character of Shane much better here.

#55 Posted by jg4xchamp (49484 posts) -

[QUOTE="CDUB316"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] no...the games writing is actually far better....even some reviewers agree.Lucianu

On the subject of the show, i like it hella more than the comic books, they pulled off the character of Shane much better here.

Other than the concept that he was right a lot, it's the same exact take of how he's douchy and does sh1t for douchy reasons like sweating another dudes woman. He would have been far more compelling if they justified his behavior better, and he was a more endearing parralel to what Rick was doing. As a character from what I hear the comic handles it better, because it gets rid of him quickly before he can expose how much Rick's indecisive nature holds them back before the prison arch.

Never played the game, didn't read the comics, but I would say Texas is wrong on the show being overrated. Not because it's great, no because how is something that is popular, but widely regarded as nowhere near a great drama overrated? Because for it's first 2 seasons it was consistently exposded for having iffy writing, poorly done characters, and contrived plot threads. Especially season 2 and the stuff with Shane. It's popular sure, but it's not a heavily praised TV show, and if it wasn't for The Killing it would be the worst show on AMC.

The third season has been better, because it's focused less on the drama/character stuff and more so on just being a show about people having to live in a world with zombies.

#56 Posted by Senor_Kami (8439 posts) -
I don't think it is GotY material. It's a great experience but it's more of a visual novel to me. Every actual gameplay mechanic/element in them is something that makes the experience noticeably worse. If there was a segment for like "story of the year" or "interactive experience of the year" I'd give it a vote in that, but GotY is a bit much for a title with such bad and so little actual gameplay elements.
#57 Posted by blackace (21269 posts) -
[QUOTE="MaskedPlayer"]

Is the walking dead shown on English TV?I have never seen the show and I really want to buy the games.

texasgoldrush
The show is vastly overrated, the game's writing completely obliterates the show.

I don't think so. Must of the shows writing comes from the guys who created the comic books. So you're saying the guys who created the comics for Walking Dead aren't good writers? The show is far from overrated.
#58 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]the gameplay is nowhere near as good as other point and click adventures...and its no Kings Quest VI, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, The Longest Journey, or Grim Fandango....which all have better puzzles and far better adventure elements than the Walking Dead.

that's because this is more of a visual novel than a point and click adventure, and it's not really fair to compare it to puzzle based point and click adventures. It's more similar to games like to the moon and tswce.

what's funny is that it's probably telltale's best game this gen and a lot of their focus is on point and click adventures more akin to the old lucasarts games. I'm sure you're not looking forward to telltale making the next kings quest game now.. lol
#59 Posted by Lucianu (9538 posts) -

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]the gameplay is nowhere near as good as other point and click adventures...and its no Kings Quest VI, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, The Longest Journey, or Grim Fandango....which all have better puzzles and far better adventure elements than the Walking Dead. Some-Mist
that's because this is more of a visual novel than a point and click adventure, and it's not really fair to compare it to puzzle based point and click adventures. It's more similar to games like to the moon and tswce.

what's funny is that it's probably telltale's best game this gen and a lot of their focus is on point and click adventures more akin to the old lucasarts games. I'm sure you're not looking forward to telltale making the next kings quest game now.. lol

Nah, it's nothing like a visual novel, it's a adventure game which incorporates cinematic gameplay. I think this is were the adventure genre is supposed to go, i mean, the old way that's ben standard for Lord knows how many years is ageless, but this seems to be a proper evolution. And this is the only genre were i feel it fits like a glove.

#60 Posted by RoccoHout (1006 posts) -

Ofcourse it is Game of the Year material, except if you are a ''IT MUST HAVE AWESOME REALISTIC GRAPHICS BETTER THAN BF3!!!!'' or ''THE GAMEPLAY MUST BE AWESOME AND UNIQUE AND VERY HARD TOO MASTER!!!'' guy.

You should play the game from start to the end to see how good it actually is. As said before, its an adventure game, and you need to build up a relationship with all the characters there are.

#61 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

[QUOTE="Some-Mist"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]the gameplay is nowhere near as good as other point and click adventures...and its no Kings Quest VI, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, The Longest Journey, or Grim Fandango....which all have better puzzles and far better adventure elements than the Walking Dead. Lucianu

Nah, it's nothing like a visual novel, it's a adventure game which incorporates cinematic gameplay. I think this is were the adventure genre is supposed to go, i mean, the old way that's ben standard for Lord knows how many years is ageless, but this seems to be a proper evolution. And this is the only genre were i feel it fits like a glove.

the main point of my post was that it's not fair to compare the game to puzzle point and click adventures.. do you disagree? do you really feel like this is just the evolution of the genre? and yeah, it's more action-y than most other point and clicks, but I still consider it a visual novel. Although you do control movement and aim guns and the like, you also spend a lot of the game watching cinematics and making dialogue choices. maybe the point and click adventure genre will go this route... but it seems like that will be the casualization of the genre much like how the FPS has "fallen" to core gamers. I still hope that there will be point and click adventure games heavily based on intricate puzzle solving.
#62 Posted by Lucianu (9538 posts) -

Other than the concept that he was right a lot, it's the same exact take of how he's douchy and does sh1t for douchy reasons like sweating another dudes woman. He would have been far more compelling if they justified his behavior better, and he was a more endearing parralel to what Rick was doing. As a character from what I hear the comic handles it better, because it gets rid of him quickly before he can expose how much Rick's indecisive nature holds them back before the prison arch.

jg4xchamp

They fleshed the character out more, man, showed how deep their friendship was at the beginning. That's what i liked, and it's understandable why he banged the female. He wanted to protect the thing his best friend loved most, tho his best friend was dead, so they got closer and closer, and since that world is Hell on Earth, who can blame him, or her.

I didn't like how douchy he was later on, it felt unnatural to me, but, i told my self that i have no idea how anyone would change if a f*cking 'end of the world' scenario would happen were you have to kill your beloved turned zombie, and do all kinds of sh*t.Thus you've got a proper justification. He was in Hell. Who knows in what way anyone would react. People are different, they gonna react in different ways. Do we really need every ounce of detail explained to us?

#63 Posted by Lucianu (9538 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="Some-Mist"]that's because this is more of a visual novel than a point and click adventure, and it's not really fair to compare it to puzzle based point and click adventures. It's more similar to games like to the moon and tswce.

what's funny is that it's probably telltale's best game this gen and a lot of their focus is on point and click adventures more akin to the old lucasarts games. I'm sure you're not looking forward to telltale making the next kings quest game now.. lolSome-Mist

the main point of my post was that it's not fair to compare the game to puzzle point and click adventures.. do you disagree? do you really feel like this is just the evolution of the genre? and yeah, it's more action-y than most other point and clicks, but I still consider it a visual novel. Although you do control movement and aim guns and the like, you also spend a lot of the game watching cinematics and making dialogue choices. maybe the point and click adventure genre will go this route... but it seems like that will be the casualization of the genre much like how the FPS has "fallen" to core gamers. I still hope that there will be point and click adventure games heavily based on intricate puzzle solving.

This is one genre were i feel that cinematic gameplay blends the best, that's why i percieve it as a evolution. Since the middle 90s (that's the farthest i've explored of the genre, i don't know about prior to that) the best adventure games i've ever played are the ones that i think have brilliant stories (doesn't have to be deep or emotional, hell, i love the comedic stories from the Sam & Max series), now which has the best puzzle solving.

And i don't think puzzle solving is something that'll dissapear in the long run. I mean, sure, The Walking Dead doesn't have traditional puzzles, but Episode 5 was short as sh*t due to the lack of puzzles, which i don't think every single developer out there will think that it's a good idea. It's a no brainer that if you want a long adventure game, you gotta have some good, solid problem solving in different situations troughout the story. It's what makes the genre immersive as hell.

#64 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26800 posts) -

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="MaskedPlayer"]

Is the walking dead shown on English TV?I have never seen the show and I really want to buy the games.

Ballroompirate

The show is vastly overrated, the game's writing completely obliterates the show.

I found the show to be very very boring. The demo for the game alone was more enjoyable.

#65 Posted by gamespot4life (1227 posts) -

it was my choice for goty

#66 Posted by JameMcCabe (326 posts) -

No, it's not.

#67 Posted by toast_burner (22413 posts) -

It will probably be nominated for best story, best game based on an existing franchise, and best adventure game (if that category even exists).

#68 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26233 posts) -

Must of the shows writing comes from the guys who created the comic books.blackace

Kirkman writes the comic himself and has little to nothing to do with the TV show.

#69 Posted by McStrongfast (4277 posts) -

Well, i've been reading the threads on GOTY votes here on system wars. And to my surprise, Walking Dead is getting quite of few votes. I tried the demo and wasn't really sold. However, i'm sure that's just a fraction of the game since it does have a cult following obviously.

Well my question are as followed:

Does this game have any survival strategies? Like collecting food, water, ect?

Is there any type of gamesplay besides QTE?

Is this game all about choice and story?

Anything else you want to add?

And can an arcade game like this really be worthy of the title GOTY?

Replay Value?

Half the reason is i'm raising this topic is cause i got 2500msp that i was going to buy DLC for Halo4, Borderlands 2, Dark Souls and xcom. Is this series so good to pass up on those DLCs? If so, sell me the idea why cause i just might bite.

Trinitarian

It's an adventure game with great characters and a compelling story. Certainly a contender for me just because of how involving it gets. I usually tend to find it difficult to get drawn into the goings-on of games, I couldn't even care to get upset about ME3's ending (although Garrus is my bro for life), but with The Walking Dead I felt like I had proper motivation and it was on me to make all these calls. Even with seemingly simple ones you've got a ton of time with...it's not easy. You constantly fret about trying to make the right decisions. It's a personal, sympathetic game. Then there's that overwhelmingly melancholic atmosphere and things constantly getting worse and never working out as you'd hope. Somehow that's really compelling, I'm not sure why. It's definitely in my top 3 this year.

"And can an arcade game like this really be worthy of the title GOTY?"

What are you? Shane Satterfield?

#70 Posted by lundy86_4 (44013 posts) -

Mostly point-and-click adventure. It's very good.

#71 Posted by RoccoHout (1006 posts) -

Personally one of my Game of the Year nominees, alongside Guild Wars 2. Its really worth playing the game till the end

#72 Posted by bobcheeseball (9307 posts) -
I love me TWD, I really should get to downloading these games...
#73 Posted by Vatusus (5055 posts) -

I just find funny how the vast majority bashed Heavy Rain for "not being a game" and now they're salivating over TWD...

#74 Posted by RoccoHout (1006 posts) -

I just find funny how the vast majority bashed Heavy Rain for "not being a game" and now they're salivating over TWD...

Vatusus

I actually find Heavy Rain slightly better than the Walking Dead, it does a much better job progressing a story based on the player's decisions. A pity that its a PS3 exclusive :(

#75 Posted by PSP107 (12131 posts) -
I thought Xbox fans hate movies but tv shows are acceptable?
#76 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Sure, I don't see why not. It's got everything that makes it a great game and it's also an actual game *cough* *cough* Dear Esther *cough* Journey *cough*.

#77 Posted by Icarian (1544 posts) -

[QUOTE="blackace"]Must of the shows writing comes from the guys who created the comic books.ChubbyGuy40

Kirkman writes the comic himself and has little to nothing to do with the TV show.

Kirkman is one of the producers of the show and he has final say on what happens in the show.

#78 Posted by texasgoldrush (9389 posts) -

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]Your choices don't really matter...it all ends the same.ChubbyGuy40

Just like Mass Effect 3.

Wrong again....are you this ignorant. Saying your choices don't matter in ME3 in th eend is a factually incorrect statement.
#79 Posted by texasgoldrush (9389 posts) -
[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="funsohng"] And it's usually because you go over your way to protect it so rigorously, no?

And why should I let people voice ignorant and untrue criticisms about the game? Which th einternet seems to be doing.

As much as I love Mass Effect 3, the game has glaring flaws, and a lot of things that you protect in the game are those flaws. Bioware messed up. They did sh*tty job with a lot of parts in the game. They did some great things with it, especially the combat, but they f*cked up story and choices. The new characters were mostly ridiculous, and the one that was interesting was DLC only. They promised the choices in the first two games were going to be impacting the ending, but in the end, they rarely mattered. And ending was hideous, a bad ripoff of Deus Ex, and just plain bad. Destroyed lore. You say you shouldn't let people voice ignorance, but you are not realizing that it's you that is voicing ignorance and refusing to accept and try to understand what others are even saying. And as for it getting high scores, well, I was never a believer of scores, or video gaming "journalism" for that matter.

And yet, its ignorance. Even if the new characters are lacking (some of them are great, Eve, Cortes, Traynor), the old characters dominate this game. The FREE Extended Cut FIXED the main flaw of the game and you are still acting like it has them....thats the ignorance here. The choices in the first two games DO MATTER in the end. Did Wrex or Wreav rule the Krogan? Was the Genophage cured? Was the original Rachni queen spared? Who is alive or dead? Was Jack's students sent to the front lines or support roles? What was the outcome of the Rannoch section? Hell, did Kasumi keep her greybox? All these choices impact the finale and now you have to factor in th efinal decision to the ones you made throughout the series. Nevermind, yes the first ending was hideous, but the new fixed ending makes sense and actually defines the lore around a theme. But people want to ignore this because they don't like that there is no big happy ending or they just simply do not understand the ending. And really, this style of ending has been done way before Deus Ex. Nevermind the "it destroyed lore" is the dumbest thing ever. Those that say this take everything Vigil and Soverign says as fact...its not. Vigil is proven wrong by ME2, and his ME3 counterpart was proven wrong in the game. Face it...."starbrat" has more lore authority, you are simply not recognizing this fact. I do understand what critics are saying and thats how I understand how stupid they are. They ignore key parts of the plot to make criticisms that are simply not valid to bash Bioware. And all the legitimate criticisms, that the ending didn't leave closure and didn't account for your choices, that it was underdeveloped, and that it has plot holes...has been addressed in a free DLC download.
#80 Posted by texasgoldrush (9389 posts) -
[QUOTE="Some-Mist"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]the gameplay is nowhere near as good as other point and click adventures...and its no Kings Quest VI, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, The Longest Journey, or Grim Fandango....which all have better puzzles and far better adventure elements than the Walking Dead.

and these games should not win because they are not well rounded complete games...they only specialize in one aspect. The gameplay in TWD is simply lacking compared to its genre. Its more like watching a story and making decisions than playing an actual game. And really, games should not even win on story alone, but should win as games. The only awards TWD should win is what they specialize in, the more complete games should get GOTY.
#81 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

Well, i've been reading the threads on GOTY votes here on system wars. And to my surprise, Walking Dead is getting quite of few votes. I tried the demo and wasn't really sold. However, i'm sure that's just a fraction of the game since it does have a cult following obviously.

Well my question are as followed:

Does this game have any survival strategies? Like collecting food, water, ect?

Is there any type of gamesplay besides QTE?

Is this game all about choice and story?

Anything else you want to add?

And can an arcade game like this really be worthy of the title GOTY?

Replay Value?

Half the reason is i'm raising this topic is cause i got 2500msp that i was going to buy DLC for Halo4, Borderlands 2, Dark Souls and xcom. Is this series so good to pass up on those DLCs? If so, sell me the idea why cause i just might bite.

Trinitarian

yes it's well deserved to be one of the top games of the year

1: no it's not that type of game. game is action/adventure movie playing game that has choices

2 quick time events. umm there is little other things like walking/running ect, The the quck time events isn't your normal garbage ones. they are very well done

3pretty much yes. From what i know the ending is basically the same but you get to decide everything else through out your journey. you are playing as someone not (you)

4: YES game is worth GOTY and worth the money, arcade styl;e games are bigger then you you think and even some people prefect them over retail games so don't count games out just because they are not your average AAA retail 100 million dollar budget game out.

5: replay i am going say yes. nearly every even in game has 2-3 choices and you have to think FAST. game doesn't let you just chill and think of your actions.

I have only played EP 1 and highly enjoyed it. i really need go play EP2....

#82 Posted by kozzy1234 (35312 posts) -

Its my GOTY so far, amazizng story, characters, dialogue and atmosphere.

After episode 1 it gets so amazing, episode 1 was ok but all the episode after that blew me away.

#83 Posted by kozzy1234 (35312 posts) -

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="MaskedPlayer"]

Ballroompirate

I agree with him.

As a fan of hte walking dead comic books, tv show and the videogames, the least impressive writing of hte 3 is the tv show. The videogame and comic book have more consistentcy (Season 2 in walking dead was garbage, ive enjoyed season 1 and 3 though a good deal).

Even the writer of the origianl comic books has said that he is blown away at the quality of writing in the videogame.

#84 Posted by kozzy1234 (35312 posts) -

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

Outside of Lee and Clem the writing was horrible in TWD game

Ballroompirate

and Lee and Clem are the heart of the story....the TV series isn't that good.

Yet it's on season 3, getting better each season which everyone that has actually watched the series agrees on. Your opinion is null and void like usual.

hahah, everyone thinks the show has gotten better each season? LMAO!

The general opinion online is that the second season was not up to the quality of season 1 and season3. Season 3 is awesome so far and MUCh better then season2, but season1 was WAY better then season2 (all that time spent on the farm and looking for the girl? Give me a break, the game and the comic book didnt have anythign that dragged on as much as that did in season2).

Go check walking dead forums or IMBD website to see mroe opinions then just yours. Season 2 was a huge letdown.

Still enjoy the show alot, but it has not been very consistent, two good seasons and one bad season (season2).

And before you say that I havn't watched the show, I own the first two seasons on dvd and I own every single one of the comic books.

#85 Posted by PAL360 (27158 posts) -

Not sure about being GOTY material, but i'm liking the game (episode 2, so far).

#86 Posted by lundy86_4 (44013 posts) -

The general opinion online is that the second season was not up to the quality of season 1 and season3. Season 3 is awesome so far and MUCh better then season2, but season1 was WAY better then season2 (all that time spent on the farm and looking for the girl? Give me a break, the game and the comic book didnt have anythign that dragged on as much as that did in season2).

Go check walking dead forums or IMBD website to see mroe opinions then just yours. Season 2 was a huge letdown.

Still enjoy the show alot, but it has not been very consistent, two good seasons and one bad season (season2).

And before you say that I havn't watched the show, I own the first two seasons on dvd and I own every single one of the comic books.

kozzy1234

Yeah, Season 2 was a major letdown. Especially to the fans of the comic books. I actually think S3 is superior to S1 so far... Much grittier.

#87 Posted by Sali217 (1290 posts) -

Vatusus
I loved Heavy Rain, the camps on that seem to be you either love it or you hate it.
#88 Posted by kozzy1234 (35312 posts) -

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

lundy86_4

Yeah, Season 2 was a major letdown. Especially to the fans of the comic books. I actually think S3 is superior to S1 so far... Much grittier.

Season 3 is fantastic so far you are right, has made up for the bad season2.

I liked season 1 alot personally, but id have to agree season3 has been best so far with season1 not far behind.

#89 Posted by kozzy1234 (35312 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

Sali217

I loved Heavy Rain, the camps on that seem to be you either love it or you hate it.

Heavy Rain is the ONE game for ps3 that I LOVED TO DEATH. Amazing game, I think only people with low attention spans hated the game.

#90 Posted by texasgoldrush (9389 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sali217"][QUOTE="Vatusus"]

kozzy1234

Heavy Rain is the ONE game for ps3 that I LOVED TO DEATH. Amazing game, I think only people with low attention spans hated the game.

No, I thought it was very poorly written.
#91 Posted by Sali217 (1290 posts) -
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Some-Mist"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]the gameplay is nowhere near as good as other point and click adventures...and its no Kings Quest VI, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, The Longest Journey, or Grim Fandango....which all have better puzzles and far better adventure elements than the Walking Dead.

and these games should not win because they are not well rounded complete games...they only specialize in one aspect. The gameplay in TWD is simply lacking compared to its genre. Its more like watching a story and making decisions than playing an actual game. And really, games should not even win on story alone, but should win as games. The only awards TWD should win is what they specialize in, the more complete games should get GOTY.

Idk, that seems ridiculous to me, it's like criticizing Myst for not having good gameplay. It completely misses the point.
#92 Posted by texasgoldrush (9389 posts) -
[QUOTE="Sali217"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Some-Mist"]that's because this is more of a visual novel than a point and click adventure, and it's not really fair to compare it to puzzle based point and click adventures. It's more similar to games like to the moon and tswce.

Idk, that seems ridiculous to me, it's like criticizing Myst for not having good gameplay. It completely misses the point.

No, as an adventure game, Myst has great gameplay....TWD doesn't. And a game like Grim Fandango shows that you can have a great story and have great adventure gameplay.
#93 Posted by lundy86_4 (44013 posts) -

Season 3 is fantastic so far you are right, has made up for the bad season2.

I liked season 1 alot personally, but id have to agree season3 has been best so far with season1 not far behind.

kozzy1234

Season 1 was pretty damn close, for sure. Hell, i'd easily understand someone finding it their favourite season :P

After the mid-season finale, i'm seriously hoping the rest of S3 steps up... It was frickin' epic.

#94 Posted by Darth_Kane (2966 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

First of all, there's like hundreds of games like TWD. The genre is called ADVENTURE GAME. Games like Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Broken Sword, Discworld, Syberia etc. (though these are all primarely PC)

Does this game have any survival strategies? Like collecting food, water, ect? - There is collecting food and making tough choices regarding it, but it's not the kind you want. It's part of the story, not the gameplay.

Is there any type of gamesplay besides QTE? - It's an adventure game, you do logic puzzles and talk to people. You pick items from inventory and use them with other items. And there aren't really any QTEs in this game besides some minor button mashing.

Is this game all about choice and story? - Again, it's an adventure game, it's about story and small puzzles.

And can an arcade game like this really be worthy of the title GOTY? - Do you even know what arcade game means? TWD is not one. And yes, it's my personal GOTY. I've been playing adventure games for a long time, and this one is among the best.

Replay Value? - Unlike say Mass Effect, your choices actually matter here. Apart from that, have you ever watched a movie that was so great you had to watch it several times? I personally replay games solely for the story (in games like say Dragon Age I always choose the same choices)

As for the TV show, this game's story and writing is like a hundred times better.

Lulekani

I think by arcade he meant XBL Arcade, you know, as in Digital Download, he does own an Xbox and MS Points afterall, and other than that you are totaly on point. Just please consider being more polite about it next time.

The game will be available on retail December 11

#95 Posted by Davekeeh (4019 posts) -

Definitely, almost just as good as Heavy Rain was

#96 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26233 posts) -

Wrong again....are you this ignorant.texasgoldrush

As if you of all people can call someone ignorant.

Saying your choices don't matter in ME3 in th eend is a factually incorrect statement.texasgoldrush

There's as much choice as Human Revolution. It only affects slight things but the endings are the same, as in choices don't matter. Know what other game did that? The Walking Dead.

#97 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

Yes.

Looking back, no other game has stuck in my mind except for The Walking Dead. Even though each episode is only a few hours long, it still had an emotional impact on me, I laid awake at night in my bed thinking about the actions and the consequences of what I did and how desperate I am to keep Clhem safe, she was my main goal at all costs. I would put her safety above anyone else in that group.

No other game this year has had that kind of impact on me. And best of all the game has a lot of replay value. I'm not going to spoil anything, but it's a very emotional expereince. It took a while for each episode to come out, but the entire time The Walking Dead always stayed fresh in my mind. I looked forward to the release of each episode, but at the same time I also had worries about it knowing that new dangers would come with it.

There needs to be more games like this, only other game this gen that does this is Heavy Rain. I hope next gen has more adventure games.

#98 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7329 posts) -

Yes it is and you should just buy all the episodes.

#99 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Some-Mist"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]the gameplay is nowhere near as good as other point and click adventures...and its no Kings Quest VI, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, The Longest Journey, or Grim Fandango....which all have better puzzles and far better adventure elements than the Walking Dead.

It's a different genre...and it's like comparing to the moon or dear esther to the games you listed above. That's also like me saying ME3 shouldn't win because vanquish, uncharted, and gears of war all have far better cover shooting mechanics. I know that's not fair.. because your favorite game of the year takes a bunch of different elements from different genres (it's much more well rounded!!), but unfortunately it doesn't excel at any (maybe one - the "decision" making process). FYI, I don't believe TWD should be GOTY either, but you're comparing it to the wrong games in the wrong genre.
#100 Posted by RyanShazam (6498 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sali217"][QUOTE="Vatusus"]

kozzy1234

You should update your SOA sig lol