• 51 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is the Switch Nintendo’s best system? (48 votes)

Yes 48%
No 52%

I’m going with Yes. Even if you’re a nostalgist, and like your classics, you can play many of those classics on the Switch via Switch Online or remasters. And Nintendo keeps releasing big games for the system, almost 7 years in. So that’s my take. How about you, SW? Is the Switch Nintendo’s best system?

• 
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

lolno

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14803 Posts

@Heil68 said:

lolno

This

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46308 Posts

I would say yes, the output we are getting atm is insane and this is because Nintendo no longer needs to focus on both a dedicated handheld and a dedicated home console.

People are way too nostalgic about previous systems and their heavy, heavy droughts.

Now NIntendo even gets the big third party bangers like Mortal Kombat 1, Hogwarts and The Last Hope.

One giant downside of the Switch seems to be its really poor cramp inducing joycons. But any real gamer know to buy this:

All hail the gamecube! The best Nintendo system, which suffered no droughts and I will fight anyone that says otherwise.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45122 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

I would say yes, the output we are getting atm is insane and this is because Nintendo no longer needs to focus on both a dedicated handheld and a dedicated home console.

People are way too nostalgic about previous systems and their heavy, heavy droughts.

Now NIntendo even gets the big third party bangers like Mortal Kombat 1, Hogwarts and The Last Hope.

One giant downside of the Switch seems to be its really poor cramp inducing joycons. But any real gamer know to buy this:

All hail the gamecube! The best Nintendo system, which suffered no droughts and I will fight anyone that says otherwise.

I’m tempted to get the orange one, but I’m not even using the purple one lol.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#5  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19552 Posts

If emulation doesn't count, the best Nintendo system is the SNES.

If emulation does count, then the best Nintendo system is... PC.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k

@SolidGame_basic: purple one has been attached to my Switch ever since I got it, haha

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6051 Posts

No, I'd go as far as saying it's one of the worst. I think the N64 was the best.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@last_lap said:

No, I'd go as far as saying it's one of the worst. I think the N64 was the best.

You can play these N64 games on the Switch.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Last_Lap

@SolidGame_basic said:
@last_lap said:

Thanks for strengthening my argument 👍

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: yes, people need to accept it. Switch so far has reached Nintendo absolute peak.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts

No, but I think it was one of thr most well thought out pivots in a long while. Even before its official unveiling I believed it just had to be a hybridization if Nintendo was going to have a future after Wii U and 3DS, not necessarily because I believed the rumors for their credibility. Between Wii and DS, or the Wii U and 3DS, I felt one of Nintendo's problems was lack of equal support for both, especially if you loved some of Nintendo's less popular signature IPs, you might not necessarily see them on the system you want. Or perhaps, long stretches of support for one device but not the other. Well, having one target system was smart. One game for either the handheld or console audience, and a larger userbase which to make games for as it doesn't split users the way having a dedicated console or handheld would.

I overestimated just how long it would take for Japanese third parties to flock to it. Slowly but surely they got there. It was rather shocking just how much staying power the PS Vita had over there long after its death. Probably didn't help Nintendo was rather slow to drop the 3DS too.

But I am rather surprised just how much western third party multiplatform support it has. I would have figured people get these strictly for Nintendo's signature first party games, play everything else on either PS or XB or PC. I always thought of Nintendo stuff myself as an essential supplemental device. Regardless, well done for them to see that advantage shift their way.

Perhaps a large part of that success was their partnership with Nvidia, but given Nvidia's track record with MS and Sony, curious if Nintendo has hard choices to make ahead. I fully suspect Nvidia will try to leverage their position in Nintendo's success, and threaten to undo it if they don't meet their demands to bilk Nintendo for more and more money. And who knows how that'll go down because Nintendo is fiscally prudent. But, you know, when you make a deal with the devil, you'll get something out of it, a chance to live deliciously, but inevitably, a day of reckoning will arrive, and that price will be paid...

Loading Video...

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts

I'll always have a big soft spot for GameCube, but I'd say yes. The Switch library is just epic.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

It's a video game console for kids.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 508 Posts

No, Not for me. N64 and Gamecube consoles still tried to match power with it's competitors so I'd go with one of those. With switch, the console can't run alot of 3rd party games so unless you're a Nintendo only gamer, you're effectively missing out on alot of games the competition had making it a secondary console. The 3rd party games that do make it to the switch are unanimously the worst version of the game, and I'm personally not the type to pay effectively the same price for something worse than I can get on another platform, especially when I'm missing out on games I want to play but my console can't run it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

The nostalgia in me would say that the SNES is but logically I would say that the Switch is. Just way to many fantastic games for the system to go with anything else.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidGame_basic

@last_lap said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@last_lap said:

What argument lol. You said “I think the N64 was the best”. I also don’t remember you having a Switch 😄

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#17 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

No, the SNES is the best Nintendo system.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 13993 Posts

SNES is my favorite. I love the Switch though.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1001 Posts

Nope the SNES is still well in front

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#20 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41535 Posts

For me:

1. Switch

2. GameCube

3. N64

4. SNES

5. Wii

6. Wii U

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#21 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

It’s easily the best Nintendo system, and it isn’t even close at this point.

Nintendo fans get accused of thinking with their nostalgia caps on, but the talent at Nintendo is better today than it has ever been. Anyone holding on to the notion that any other Nintendo system tops the Switch is silly and blinded by nostalgia themselves.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50562 Posts

Nah, NES then SNES

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9399 Posts

WiiU is a strong contender. Backwards compatible with Gamecube with HD support (not emulation, it is you just have to mod it cuz Ninty is a shit) and Wii. Can load games from a network share (again, mods). Better collection of virtual console games after even after 7 years of Switch.

Imagine not taking advantage of the community tools built around Nintendo hardware.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#24 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41535 Posts

@The_Deepblue said:

Nintendo fans get accused of thinking with their nostalgia caps on, but the talent at Nintendo is better today than it has ever been. Anyone holding on to the notion that any other Nintendo system tops the Switch is silly and blinded by nostalgia themselves.

The "blinded by nostalgia" argument has to be one of the most common gaslights of this forum.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

yes, by far

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7204 Posts

Im gonna go ahead and say its the best console of all time.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56112 Posts

I already answer one of these Nintendo threads in the past.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23919 Posts

I have a soft spot for the N64 and Gamecube.

But Nintendo are just killing it this gen. Revitalized a good chunk of their franchises. Combining the innovation of their N64 entries with the polish of their gamecube entries.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3728 Posts

Nothing will ever beat the NES in the 80s. It's not possible. The company was on top of the world and the games were epic and groundbreaking. No game company will ever achieve something like that again.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Last_Lap

@SolidGame_basic said:
@last_lap said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@last_lap said:

What argument lol. You said “I think the N64 was the best”. I also don’t remember you having a Switch 😄

Well you said it is and I said it wasn't so we can say conversation instead of argument if you like.

Nintendo made a system to cater to its colourful kid type games and said screw every other developer, and that's why soooooo many third-party games skip the Switch or need game engines need to be changed or heavily optimised to run most third-party games.

Then you say you can play N64 games on Switch, well Nintendo's current games aren't that great, so I can see why they have N64 games on Switch. So is it backcompact or does Nintendo charge you for the privilege, I think I already know the answer.

Its overrated, overpriced and underpowered. I don't need to own one to know that, it's the reasons I don't own one.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#31 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

I will not give this a lot of thought but I prefer the SNES.

Super Mario World, PTO II, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Pilotwings, SimCity, Liberty or Death, Star Fox, a Punchout game, Aerobiz, Waikiki Golf, all kept me playing for hours. I often could not wait until the weekend as a kid to rent some games.

I have not played my Switch in one year plus.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22686 Posts

Snes

Nes

Switch

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts

Definitely up there as one of the best. It certainly has many quality games to play on it.

However in other areas, as a package, it also really sucks. Paying nintendo to play online is laughable. Paying to play online in general is pretty funny but Nintendo, of all companies....god no. And the VC is now behind a paywall /s. As are save backups. That side is pretty poor to be honest.

I don't think I would rate it the best. I'd rate the Wii and Snes higher. The peaks of those systems are far peakier than the switch. The switch is good but, 10 years from now, I don't think I will remember too much from it (BOTW i played on the wiiu).

pixieValerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#34 pixieValerie
Member since 2019 • 360 Posts

Maybe, it's certainly up there. I've never had such a massive backlog with a Nintendo system before, I'm drowning in games to play. And the convenience of it is so appealing to me, I can go play it on my bus ride to and from work, and on my breaks. I'm glad we didn't get another disaster like the Wii U.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

It's definitely up their in terms of variation of games good to see Nintendo get a lot more 3rd party support.

pixieValerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#36 pixieValerie
Member since 2019 • 360 Posts

@R4gn4r0k:

Oh what's that controller called? It looks sweet. I've been using the Hori Split Pad Pro, which is fantastic. 2D games feel infinitely better to play with it.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2929 Posts

No, the SNES is the best system thanks to Street Fighter 2, Super Mario World and loads of other titles that I am too lazy to list.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SolidGame_basic

@pmanden said:

No, the SNES is the best system thanks to Street Fighter 2, Super Mario World and loads of other titles that I am too lazy to list.

Both those games can be played on the Switch

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1042 Posts

Sales wise, seems so, but I prefer my nostalgia of NES, SNES, N64, and Wii.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 R4gn4r0k

@pixievalerie: yup, the hori split pad pro is already a huge step up in ergonomics. This one is called the Nyxi Wizard.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

If this is the best they can offer, a system that sacrifices literally everything important for mobility, we're in trouble, or should i say, sheep are in trouble, deep trouble.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 The_Deepblue

@hardwenzen: Compare the lineup of the Switch in terms of first, second, and third party games to their past systems. Switch wins easily.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By hardwenzen

@The_Deepblue said:

@hardwenzen: Compare the lineup of the Switch in terms of first, second, and third party games to their past systems. Switch wins easily.

And let me counter your claims with this. What does it matter if they have more, if barely anything is even running on the system its made for? Titles like totk are simply UNPLAYABLE on the system its made for.

It really doesn't matter what your system has when they forgot to upgrade its 2004 specs. The Switch is great for 2D indies, and that's about it.

Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2603 Posts

Five of the greatest games of all time came out on the Switch. The others can't say that.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 The_Deepblue

@hardwenzen: After 140 hours in ToTK, I can say that was not my experience at all. Playing SMBW now, and it’s buttery smooth and looks amazing.

But if you don’t like such games, that’s okay. To each his own; your loss and all that.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hardwenzen

@The_Deepblue said:

@hardwenzen: After 140 hours in ToTK, I can say that was not my experience at all. Playing SMBW now, and it’s buttery smooth and looks amazing.

But if you don’t like such games, that’s okay. To each his own; your loss and all that.

Its not about me liking it or not. Games running poorly is factual, not me imagining it. If you accept games dropping to teens, that's cool. I don't.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2929 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Ok, but the games were first on SNES, and that's what counts in my book. A lot of classic games can be emulated / played on Switch.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 285 Posts

Don't know each generation is good in their own way... I don't hear much high regard for the virtual boy

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1858 Posts

@The_Deepblue said:

I mean, I can see an argument for the NES/SNES. Though any other system is just rose tinted glasses. Especially the people saying the GameCube. The GameCube was plagued with droughts. It was hard carried by Smash Bros Melee and Zelda: Twilight Princess

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9548 Posts

Seeing as though you can play NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii/U, and Switch games... yeah it's a no doubter. Take out the classic games and I'd give it to the NES or SNES, but since there are a good selection of those titles including Breath of Fire 1 and 2... yeah, it's a done deal.