Is the Dual Shock 4 the best Controller ever created?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

Its got some high tech screen thing on it basically the controller has better graphics than a gameboy advance it has its own screen an stuff on it

looks like a work of art the feel of it its the best ps controller ive felt in my hand the weight is perfect

it has like laser screens its wireless its got recharging

its like a thing of art man i'd pay 100's for it

u can use a usb to plug it in a ps3/PC

heck xbox owners might be able to use it with usb dump ur crappy controller an pick up the dual shock right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I haven't used it yet, but everyone tells me it's right up there with the Gamecube and Xbox 360 controllers, so I'd imagine so.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Are you drunk right now or just incredibly stupid?

adders99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 adders99
Member since 2005 • 2623 Posts

@bobbetybob said:

possibly both?

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

While it is a huge improvement over the piece of crap PS3 controller, the left analog stick is still in an unnatural position for most modern games. The PS4 controller might be the best controller ever for 2D games, but for 3D games, the Xbox 360 controller is still the king and the Xbox One controller is in second place.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Loss of analog buttons and the classic position of the rubber start/select keys, square and circle are longer spaced properly.

However the laser stuff does indeed make it the best controller by far.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@bobbetybob said:

no one can get that drunk

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

No, it has faults.

Battery is still a major issue.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Yes, nothing comes close.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Go home tc, you're drunk.

But yeah the controller is amazing, but I still need to properly experience the XB1 controller to judge properly

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Pretty much. Just need to patch in the ability to turn the light off and proper PS3 compatibility. As for lems who can't wrap their heads around symmetrical sticks:

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Yeah let's put a flashlight in the front so every time there's a dark section in a game the player will see an immersion breaking reflexion. I mean wtf were they thinking?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Just about, yeah.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

It's bloody good. It's got a good weight to it. I think we're getting about as good as you can get with the standard layouts. Would be perfect with better battery life but as it charges on USB its really not an issue.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

It's MILLLLLLLLLESSSSSSSSSSS ahead of the 360 and Xbone controller.

Best controller for consoles to date.

razu2444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By razu2444
Member since 2010 • 820 Posts

Rocks

Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts

@starwolf474 said:

While it is a huge improvement over the piece of crap PS3 controller, the left analog stick is still in an unnatural position for most modern games. The PS4 controller might be the best controller ever for 2D games, but for 3D games, the Xbox 360 controller is still the king and the Xbox One controller is in second place.

When the only complaint you can come up for it is that the "analog stick is in an UNNATURAL place", then yeah... the controller is pretty much perfect. I mean really now? An UNNATURAL place?! As if analogs sticks are natural things that you were programmed to use a specific way at birth? lmao. If anything, having your hands/thumbs/anything in symmetrical positions when controlling things is about as close as you can get to saying that it's "natural".

Just because your Xbot brain can't handle the grueling task of having your thumb rest an inch and a half further to the right compared to usual doesn't make it a flaw. It makes YOU flawed.

On the other hand, you can actually point out legitimate flaws with the Xbox One controller compared to the PS4 controller such as taking AA batteries, having way less features, and having a stupid ass proprietary mic port that your old gaming headset(mine happens to cost $200) doesn't let you voice chat on because Microsoft was greedy as usual and felt the need to milk more money from the headset companies.

betamaxx83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 betamaxx83
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

I would have to say the DS4 is the best overall controller, I still prefer 360 for shooters. It's definitely the most comfortable controller I've ever used. Once you get use to the analog sticks it's a pretty damn good FPS controller.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

@ProtossX: Yes....it is the best of all time.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

It's a great controller but not the best ever, needs some work before it could be considered that.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@bobbetybob said:

Just the usual ProtossX thread

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

If the battery life were about 2 hours longer, I would put it up there.

masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts

Miles ahead of the DS3 in ergonomics...but the battery life and that dumb ass little speaker are annoying

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

Last gen cows were calling the DS3 the best controller ever. I don't think we can take anything cows say seriously about the DS4. It might be a big improvement but it's far from the best controller ever.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

It's getting there. I still prefer X360 controller, but DS4 is growing quickly on me.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

its by far my favorite controller i love all the changes they made and its solid as a rock, im not too impressed with xb1 though its not symmetrical they wobble if its on a table and you push on its corner hehehe (it really does though) and its rumble is too strong and the controller makes a hell of a vibrating rattle in some cases like aiming a pike in Ryse.m2c

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

It's top 3. Better battery life and it would be my #2.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Its a great controller but I don't think the touch pad is a screen like the OP suggests.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

The audio jack is genius. If the battery life were better it'd be a 10/10

reggy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 reggy72
Member since 2008 • 145 Posts

Nope, I've both the PS4 and One, the PS4 pad is better than the DS3 but it has its flaws, Poor battery life, Flush option button, hard to find without looking at the pad, I find the sticks slippy if that makes sense, my thumbs don't natural fit properly so in quick movements they slip off, the Xbox One controller is not as comfy as the 360's, the triggers are not a natural fit, no battery life indicator which is a piss poor simple thing to get right tbh.

The best pad as of now is still the 360's end thread.....

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

@Messiahbolical- said:

@starwolf474 said:

When the only complaint you can come up for it is that the "analog stick is in an UNNATURAL place", then yeah... the controller is pretty much perfect. I mean really now? An UNNATURAL place?! As if analogs sticks are natural things that you were programmed to use a specific way at birth? lmao. If anything, having your hands/thumbs/anything in symmetrical positions when controlling things is about as close as you can get to saying that it's "natural".

Just because your Xbot brain can't handle the grueling task of having your thumb rest an inch and a half further to the right compared to usual doesn't make it a flaw. It makes YOU flawed.

On the other hand, you can actually point out legitimate flaws with the Xbox One controller compared to the PS4 controller such as taking AA batteries, having way less features, and having a stupid ass proprietary mic port that your old gaming headset(mine happens to cost $200) doesn't let you voice chat on because Microsoft was greedy as usual and felt the need to milk more money from the headset companies.

That's a huge complaint that keeps it from being perfect for modern games. It's unnatural because your thumb does not naturally rest in that position when gripping the controller like how your thumb naturally rests over the analog stick when gripping a Xbox controller. On the PS4 controller, you have to stretch your thumb out to the right and down to touch the analog stick which leads to cramping after holding it in that position for an extended period of time. It's not nearly as bad as the cramping from the PS3 controller, but I still feel cramping after about an hour of using the PS4 controller which means there is no way I could ever consider it the best controller ever for 3D games (again, it's great for 2D games that use the d-pad as primary).

The base design of the PlayStation controller is based on an 18 year old controller, that was made in a time when the d-pad was the primary control method. Since then, the analog stick has taken over as the primary control method and every other company, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sega, even Ouya have put the analog stick in the primary position. Sony is the only company that keeps the archaic design of having the d-pad in the primary position instead of the analog stick.

There is a reason why 3rd parties have released many PlayStation controllers that copy the Xbox analog stick placement, but I don't think I've ever seen any 3rd party Xbox controllers that copy the PlayStation analog stick placement because there would not be much demand for that. Sony has even admitted themselves that their user test team for the PS4 controller wanted them to try having the analog stick on top, but management decided against it because they wanted to keep the "PlayStation look", which in my opinion was a mistake.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34  Edited By good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

Screen? Lasers? WHAHHAHHTHAHTHAHTATATTTTT. Why didn't I notice that yet :O

Anyways, I love it personally. It's by far the best controller I've ever used.

DonnaTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DonnaTroy
Member since 2013 • 245 Posts

yep

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I'm still getting a ps4 but i'm not so sure. The battery life is weak and I prefer the asymmetrical sticks of the Xbox 360. I do like how Sony changed the form factor of the ds4 because the ps3 hurts my hands after a hour of use.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

I would've preferred the X1's sticks form and material (not necessarily positioning) because I find the PS4's slippery and the flaking issue doesn't instill confidence.

Battery isn't stellar.

The touchpad seems interesting tho.

X1's bumper buttons, I am not a fan of.

Fix the sticks, a more premium feel for the touchpad and increase battery.. then I'd love to give it my personal "best controller ever" award.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@ProtossX said:

Its got some high tech screen thing on it basically the controller has better graphics than a gameboy advance it has its own screen an stuff on it

The **** is this?? :|

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I'll wait for the revision. Im sure (hoping) Sony will come out with a revision of the DS4 (like M$ did with the 360 controller). There really isnt much to revise, but I would suggest just bigger L1 and R1 buttons, better battery, and to make the light on the controller a little smaller.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

I'll wait for the revision. Im sure (hoping) Sony will come out with a revision of the DS4 (like M$ did with the 360 controller). There really isnt much to revise, but I would suggest just bigger L1 and R1 buttons, better battery, and to make the light on the controller a little smaller.

great suggestions, but battery should be priorty, its awful.

ratchet_usa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ratchet_usa
Member since 2005 • 376 Posts

Dual Shock 3 was already the perfect controller. DS4 only improved on perfection.

the xbox 360 controller is good for shooters, but it sucks when it comes to action games, fighting, racing, plat formers etc.

Overall, DS4 is the superior and best controller of all.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

I use the ds4 exclusively for the pc,

even before it was feasible I would often hold the ds4,

no game or nothing it just felt natural to fiddle with......

I haven't seen or been near an xbox one controller,

I went to best buy last week and asked about a demo unit.....

he said quote "why demo it? just buy an xbox one"

to which he pointed me to about a stack of 5.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

Not even close.

1st off the controller can't be the best until the LS is placed into the proper position. 99% of games use the LS over the dpad for primary movement. The TS design is 20 years old from when games used the d-pad more and the LS less. it needs to be fixed. Sony si the only company to have the LS in that place. every other controller does not. there is a good reason for that

2ndly the triggers are high and don't really lock your finger in like the X1 triggers. Also having to move from trigger to bumper was last gen, the X1 solved it by allowing you to press the trigger and bumper w/o moving your finger off the trigger

3rdly the new additions of a lightbar and speaker don't add to the controller and are more gimmicks then useful, plus drain the battery. The rumble triggers actually add to the game's feedback

so X1>360>DS4>DS3

not to mention the way the DS4 makes you sweat like crazy for some reason and the poor rubber on the sticks

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

It's my favorite. Feels great and sturdy.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

I've heard/seen the thumb sticks crack and lose their rubber easily, on quite a few controllers if not all eventually. And the light bar and battery life is just stupid.

Which is BS considering the controllers only cost $18 to make, yet they charge $60. Dualshocks have been the absolute cheapest among all 3 companies, quality wise. My DS3's all wore down very fast, and even when new you can tell are cheap shit.

All company's are guilty of rampant overpricing now, though. One of the worst things to come with the 7th generation - "Oh, this tiny little blue-tooth thing is so expensive and high tech, so it's double the price." Controllers should not be more than $40.

My Wii U pro feels pretty solid, but i'm wary of the DS4's build quality...

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@ratchet_usa said:

Dual Shock 3 was already the perfect controller. DS4 only improved on perfection.

the xbox 360 controller is good for shooters, but it sucks when it comes to action games, fighting, racing, plat formers etc.

Overall, DS4 is the superior and best controller of all.

The DS3 was far from perfect. The form factor was designed with poor ergonomics, the sticks with their convex heads, and flawed triggers with their downward slope. Fortunately these were all addressed with DS4.

And 360 controller I can concede had issues for fighters, but there is absolutely no reason to criticize it's design and function in other genres like Racers (the triggers made great pedals) platformers or any action game, from Assassin's Creed to Batman Arkham.

The 360's one glaring flaw was it's d-pad, which got the much needed overhaul.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@starwolf474: If you're going to argue over layout, the Wii U Pro Controller has them both beat.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#48 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

It's MILLLLLLLLLESSSSSSSSSSS ahead of the 360 and Xbone controller.

Best controller for consoles to date.

You have an X1?

DonnaTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DonnaTroy
Member since 2013 • 245 Posts

yes it is.