Is the 360 really pushing the industry forward?

• 154 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts
What do you guys think? Is the 360 pushing the industry forward?

I look at the 360 and while I do think it's a great console I don't see anything in it that screams out "next gen". It sometimes just feels like an Xbox with updated graphics. I also have the same problem with the PS3 but I feel it offers more (you have to pay much more too though).

It seems to me as if MS is simply going after one key demographic: male teens. They've got games like Mass Effect, Halo, Gears, and not really much variety in their library with the odd exception of games like Kameo, or Banjo.

We all talk about Wii's novelty wearing off but how much longer will people put up with the 360 if they realize it's not bringing anything majorly new to the table?

Perhaps I'm being to critical... What do you guys think? Agree/Disagree?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
All I see the 360 doing is improving on everything that was successful last generation.

Edit: And doing a damn good job at it.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 the-very-best
All I see the 360 doing is building on everything that was successful last generation.
foxhound_fox

I agree with you there. But don't you think change is needed? Eventually it will become boring if all they are doing is copying what people liked last gen. People liked last gen because it brought some new things to gaming, yet still kept the focus on games. I'm not quite sure the 360 pulls that off yet.
MindfulHunters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 MindfulHunters
Member since 2006 • 483 Posts
Xbox Live is the 360's contribution to this gen (yes it was made last gen but it is becoming the pinnacle of any online service for a console). The PS3 has I'm not sure yet. And the Wii has the Wii mote.
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
I think the 360 is basically the culmination of the status quo concept of "next gen". Take what works, refine it, make it more powerful, and give it more features. And that's what MS did, and they did a damn good job IMO.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
they pushed online gaming forward like no other. Xbox live is one of the most important changes in cosole gaming. The games are roughly the same though. I'd give Nintendo the credit for the most innovation.
TheThreeSeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheThreeSeat
Member since 2005 • 304 Posts

I think its next-gen. I mean really, it does everything better than last gen, and in my opinion better than the other next-gen systems. Its got a bunch of great games. I dont see it doing anything wrong, really.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I agree with you there. But don't you think change is needed? Eventually it will become boring if all they are doing is copying what people liked last gen. People liked last gen because it brought some new things to gaming, yet still kept the focus on games. I'm not quite sure the 360 pulls that off yet.
the-very-best

Yes, I do believe change is needed. Very heavily in fact. The stagnation of the industry as of late has shown that without change all we get is a bunch of WWII FPSes.

Hopefully devs can focus on bringing new things as well, while taking what was good last gen and making it better. And hopefully the Wii will help with that significantly.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
The 360 is pushing the industry forward with its online service and the soon to be seen Live Anywhere cross-platform gaming.
Baird-06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Baird-06
Member since 2006 • 3511 Posts
It's up to the developers, not the 360/MS to push the industry foward and to bring something new to the table.
RAZZY_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RAZZY_B
Member since 2005 • 1709 Posts

i think theres a limit on how much "NEW" developers can do, as time goes on games get more and more limited.

BUT, there will always be "Different" games such as Spore and etc. But to answer your question, i think no one could ask more from what the 360 is already doing game wise. In the sense its getting good games out at a substantial pace.

cabjnico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cabjnico
Member since 2003 • 748 Posts

I look at the 360 and while I do think it's a great console I don't see anything in it that screams out "next gen". It sometimes just feels like an Xbox with updated graphics. I also have the same problem with the PS3 but I feel it offers more (you have to pay much more too though).

It seems to me as if MS is simply going after one key demographic: male teens. They've got games like Mass Effect, Halo, Gears, and not really much variety in their library with the odd exception of games like Kameo, or Banjo.

We all talk about Wii's novelty wearing off but how much longer will people put up with the 360 if they realize it's not bringing anything majorly new to the table?

the-very-best

What doe sthe ps3 offer that the xbox 360 doesn't? the underutilized motion sensing?

edit: and what did ps2/xbox offer after the ps? use of the two analogs, updated graphics, ai, and all the basics- online, and the storage for the box... it doesn't change much- the wii is another case
Suyomizzle_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 Suyomizzle_
Member since 2005 • 1317 Posts
Your logic is incredibly flawed.  Because the SNES was just a NES with updated graphics, it wasn't really next gen.  And the PS2 was just a PS1 with updated graphics, it wasn't really next gen.  The GBA is just a GBC with updated graphics, it isn't really next gen.  Ect.  Ect.

You could say that on paper and yet you see how much these systems changed the industry today, and how much impact they have had.  I think gamers are nitpicking with the word "next-gen" and just using it to suit their own ends when it comes to bashing or praising a system.  Generations aren't made by systems, they're made by which the time the system is released.  The next wave of systems is next-gen, even if it's a downgrade.

And if you look at those systems I mentioned before, the 360 introduced more features than they did, streamlining the Live network far beyond to the level of the XBox's clumsy online functionality, adding microtransactions which have never been a part of console gaming, making wireless accessories standard, ect.  Not pushing the industry forward?  What have you been looking at?
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts

the-very-best

I agree as long as you add the words so far and remove the highlighted.
ps3-nikita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ps3-nikita
Member since 2005 • 2945 Posts
Based upon the games out and services it provides. I see the 360 as the only one really pushing the console world forward. Yes the Wii is attracting more customers in the sense of non gamers. That isnt always a good thing, when entertainment is waterdown for the masses. In gaming terms noobfied, its bad enough this is happening to 360 games, because Microsoft want to reach a broader audience. What do you think the Wii will be doing. Until I see some serious good things happen with the remote I wont call innovation on it. I do like how they tried to turn the Wii into a tv box. Having a remote for a controller and then having their internet services named as channels. That was smart thinking and makes it something that non-gammers or technophobes could get into with ease. I do like their VC channel, but end of the day its a glorified rom service. The only thing that actually stands out is the choice of titles and range of console they aretaking games from. When the PS3 starts making serious use of the blu-ray and see their games really pushing some limits. Then I think the PS3 will come into its own and bring something to the next gen. Right now I dont think it has done enough. If the 360 wasnt around then it would be a different story. Problem is 360 is pretty much beating Sony to the punch of most things, so by the time Sony does something, we are like yeap seen it, done it and got the t-shirt. I do like their presentation of their media applications and I love the swapable hdds. The ability to load games on to hdd to increase laoding times. This also is a negative, the fact that it needs to use such cheating method to compensate for the blu-ray. Just makes it seem more like a ghetto pc and not a powerhouse console. Saying that the option is great if it helps things. Right now it seems, like it is used just to keep up wth the 360.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 the-very-best

I agree as long as you add the words so far and remove the highlighted.cakeorrdeath

I do think PS3 offers more though. I think Blu-ray will be great for games once devs get used to the system.
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
It might not be making any progress, but neither is the PS3. The Wii is the only one making any progress. I don't really care if the 360 makes progress or not. I'm just going to have a damn fun time playing it.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cakeorrdeath
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]

I agree as long as you add the words so far and remove the highlighted.the-very-best

I do think PS3 offers more though. I think Blu-ray will be great for games once devs get used to the system.

So you think it may offer more in the future. You don't think the 360 will offer more in the future as well?
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 the-very-best

So you think it may offer more in the future. You don't think the 360 will offer more in the future as well?
cakeorrdeath

I didn't say that, but I do think MS has really pushed a lot out of the 360 already, and while all has been great so far they have yet to introduce anything groudbreaking. I'm not saying PS3 has yet either mind you.
ps3-nikita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ps3-nikita
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]
the-very-best

I didn't say that, but I do think MS has really pushed a lot out of the 360 already, and while all has been great so far they have yet to introduce anything groudbreaking. I'm not saying PS3 has yet either mind you.

What are you looking for in groundbreakin. I dont see anything groundbreakin on PS3 or Wii. In fact Xbox live come across more ground breaking then both the Wii and PS3 put together. Funny how a offical PS3 magazine was closed, because the Playstation store was suppose to make it obsolete. Yet 360 one which provides more demos then PS3 can count to, still has one going.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

It's up to the developers, not the 360/MS to push the industry foward and to bring something new to the table.Baird-06

But it's up to the hardware developers (in this case, MS) to give developers the tools they need to develop something great and push the industry forward.

But I do think the 360 is pushing the industry forward. It's a great gaming platform, with a nice selection of great titles, and the developers are doing great things with it. I don't see MS holding back the industry by not pushing a new disk format or including a motion sensitive controller, because it has proven that it can deliver great gaming experiences without either one of those.

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cakeorrdeath
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]
the-very-best

That's all I was saying.

I'm pretty sure all the systems have a lot more potential to be shown.None of the 360 games haven't even exploited the multiple cores properly yet.
bluebrad1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 bluebrad1974
Member since 2005 • 5162 Posts
I like the direction MS is taking gaming. More or less letting developers pick the components of 360, is one of the greatest things a console maker could for a console. It insures that the design of the console is geared towards gaming. Another thing that is only starting to now go mainstream for consoles is the online funtionality. Again MS was ahead of the times. The addition of Live Arcade and XNA gives indy developers an open door to the "big leagues". I think overall MS is handling it's lead in the next-gen market very well. 
cheezisgoooood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#25 cheezisgoooood
Member since 2004 • 6130 Posts

Xbox 360's brilliant contribution to gaming:

Achievement Unlocked!

Quack_Attack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Quack_Attack
Member since 2005 • 2562 Posts
XNA = hell yes.
ringuzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ringuzi
Member since 2005 • 958 Posts
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]

I agree as long as you add the words so far and remove the highlighted.the-very-best

upgrading graphics is not "next gen" but upgrading memory is? if you think 360 doesnt bring much new ps3 doesnt bring anything either and all wii does is that controller but it goes backwards in every other category....and btw wiimote isnt that great its basically a fancy button or analog stick, its good but its not a major innovation and whats wrong with appeling to male teenagers....?
ps3-nikita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ps3-nikita
[QUOTE="the-very-best"][QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]

I agree as long as you add the words so far and remove the highlighted.ringuzi

upgrading graphics is not "next gen" but upgrading memory is? if you think 360 doesnt bring much new ps3 doesnt bring anything either and all wii does is that controller but it goes backwards in every other category....and btw wiimote isnt that great its basically a fancy button or analog stick, its good but its not a major innovation and whats wrong with appeling to male teenagers....?

Dont you know, your not next gen if your moms isnt playing with your Wii. Ah cant forget Grandma and Granpa, they too have to be shaking that thing. Grandma, watch that hip.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 the-very-best
I'm pretty sure all the systems have a lot more potential to be shown.None of the 360 games haven't even exploited the multiple cores properly yet.
cakeorrdeath

Yeah, graphics are all well and good, but what else? Both PS3/Wii have motion sensing, something that could be extremely interesting in the future (we'll have to see what devs come up with, took them a while with the DS). 360 has online, but PS3's online will eventually be as good. PS3 has Blu-ray which again could be great once devs get used to the system. What if 360 reaches its limit in a couple of years?

PS3/Wii have a long future ahead of them. Hundreds of things can be done with Wii's controls and PS3's controls also allow for some unique implementations, but 360 is just copying last gen basically without adding too much. It could potentially be a bad sign in the future...

What are you looking for in groundbreakin. I dont see anything groundbreakin on PS3 or Wii. In fact Xbox live come across more ground breaking then both the Wii and PS3 put together. Funny how a offical PS3 magazine was closed, because the Playstation store was suppose to make it obsolete. Yet 360 one which provides more demos then PS3 can count to, still has one going.ps3-nikita

I think Wii is groundbreaking. I think it's offering a very fresh way of playing games, and in the future, once devs really understand the system, we can see some pretty unique creations. As for the PS3, Blu-ray could be great and motion sensing also allows for devs to be creative.

I really want to see more creativity because without it the industry cannot accelerate.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cakeorrdeath
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]I'm pretty sure all the systems have a lot more potential to be shown.None of the 360 games haven't even exploited the multiple cores properly yet.
the-very-best

Yeah, graphics are all well and good, but what else? Both PS3/Wii have motion sensing, something that could be extremely interesting in the future (we'll have to see what devs come up with, took them a while with the DS). 360 has online, but PS3's online will eventually be as good. PS3 has Blu-ray which again could be great once devs get used to the system. What if 360 reaches its limit in a couple of years?

PS3/Wii have a long future ahead of them. Hundreds of things can be done with Wii's controls and PS3's controls also allow for some unique implementations, but 360 is just copying last gen basically without adding too much. It could potentially be a bad sign in the future...

Motion sensing and UI isn't the only way to advance games. Just look at something like Spore and you can see ways games can offer domething new which has absolutely nothing to do with a new UI.

Why would the 360 reach its limit in a couple of years? What possible evidence do you have for thinking this?

The 360 is further removed from the Xbox than the PS2 was from the PS1.
Ciocio313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ciocio313
Member since 2007 • 91 Posts
hmmm
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 shungokustasu
Member since 2004 • 7190 Posts

the-very-best
This is my take on the industry. We call ourselves gamers. We enjoy the products that our beloved companies bring forth to our console of choice. Lets go deeper than that. What is a gamer? I define it as someone who support all games, and understand the meaning of getting the enjoyment out of a game no matter what system it's on. Someone who appreciates the essence of gaming, and willing to give new genres, graphics, gameplay, and style a chance. Gamers don't value a blockbuster title like Halo over Okami. They understand what both bring to the table. "Innovation is the bloodstream of any industry." Some of you may not agree with me, but if it wasn't for PS1 the gaming industry would have been dead. PS1 brought an idea of quanity over quailty. Not to say quailty is important, but quanity is needed more. PS1 open doors for genres like FPS, Combat Racers, RTS, Stealth, etc...None of this genres were on a console until PS1 came. PS2 brought genres like Sanbox and Hack n Slash. Xbox is doing the same thing Nintendo did. Quailty over quanity. They are hand picking games not willing to risk on new genres or even new developers. "Let's go buy Rockstar, EPIC, MistWalker, Bioware and tell them to make games for us that we know will sell" All MS is saying "let's have genres that were popular and make them prettier". MS is riding on the success of what the PS brought to home console gaming.
mirlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 mirlegend
Member since 2002 • 6737 Posts

i would consider how there pushing live as moving the industry forward. it may have been available last gen but this time there really getting devs on board. at the moment only a handful of games that have multiplayer dont support online, you could go as far as saying its pretty much the norm.

then theres live anywhere which is bringing platforms together live mobile and live arcade, pc and 360. i wouldnt rule out the possibility of 360 and ps3 in the future either.

another thing that should get a mention is xna. its not the first dev kit for consoles (i think ps1 had something called yarez) but it is the first to offer such a distribution method. microsoft have already got the program out to a number of colleges and universities that support game development courses, a number of forums have there own product going and there are plenty of movies and demos floating round the internet of what people have made (360.qj.net often shows these).

i am very happy from what iv seen from microsoft so far and look forward to what they show in the future.

lucidflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lucidflux
Member since 2006 • 277 Posts
XNA couuld be 360's big forward push for the industry. Likewise, Wii's limited graphic capabilities could actually help, in theory. In both cases, you have games that can be created with lower production costs; when you lower costs, you make more room for experimentation. You're more likely to throw a buck down on a candy bar you've never heard of than to spend 50 on an unknown game, for example. With lowered production costs, any loss isn't as much as one...

I think we're going to see less and less new ideas from the bigger guys. No company would want to produce the game equivalent of Waterworld.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 the-very-best
Motion sensing and UI isn't the only way to advance games. Just look at something like Spore and you can see ways games can offer domething new which has absolutely nothing to do with a new UI.

Why would the 360 reach its limit in a couple of years? What possible evidence do you have for thinking this?

cakeorrdeath

PS2 had more than just improved graphics though. It had DVD at the time which was great for devs eventually, since we got some standout games once people learnt how to use the system and utilize the space of DVD at the time.

360 doesn't seem to add anything besides improved graphics. They seem to be playing catch up now though with rumours of a new 360 etc. They rushed it to the market to get in first but they've left out a lot of features which could make the system exceptional in the future.

Spore is an example of a creative concept, sure, and I'd love for devs to be as creative as that in the future, and of course it could happen for the 360. The thing that seperates the 360 from PS3 though is the motion sensing and Blu-ray which both in the future, if used correctly, can allow just normal games like Burnout or whatever to turn out great. I think normal games though like SSX, or Burnout, or you know, just normal titles, will be able to use motion sensing for the PS3 in a creative way which could really be quite good if they do it right.

Wii is in a different league of course with creative possibilities.
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 shungokustasu

i would consider how there pushing live as moving the industry forward. it may have been available last gen but this time there really getting devs on board. at the moment only a handful of games that have multiplayer dont support online, you could go as far as saying its pretty much the norm.

then theres live anywhere which is bringing platforms together live mobile and live arcade, pc and 360. i wouldnt rule out the possibility of 360 and ps3 in the future either.

another thing that should get a mention is xna. its not the first dev kit for consoles (i think ps1 had something called yarez) but it is the first to offer such a distribution method. microsoft have already got the program out to a number of colleges and universities that support game development courses, a number of forums have there own product going and there are plenty of movies and demos floating round the internet of what people have made (360.qj.net often shows these).

i am very happy from what iv seen from microsoft so far and look forward to what they show in the future.

mirlegend
Online is just another tool for multi-player. I don't think there is more you can do online than what live and PSN is doing right now. I don't see the "online function" pushing the industry farther. Prime example: look at PC gaming.
lucidflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lucidflux
Member since 2006 • 277 Posts
I don't think it's even about systems at this point. I think it's "which devs can come up with the coolest, newest, most original stuff".
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Originally I wasn't impressed by their first console; The Xbox, but this current second system was the quite the opposite.A year ago, when it first came out, I was never considering getting a 360, but with all that I heard and saw, it peaked my interested. A bit of store testing of the system, seeing its games releases [especially RE5] and all its tiny features, I became very interested in the 360. With that, just yesterday, I purchased a Xbox 360, second to my Wii system [which I love equally], I first was bit nervious but after a bit [a hour of rewiring, wire untangling, organizing and setting the whole thing up, I jumped right in. I didn't even jump in my purchased Gears of War, I went bounding into the features and the demos, and wow.. I couldn't been more amazing but what I could do, I down test games out, watch trailers, organize music, bring music off my computer/mp3 player/etc. What I found very impressive was the whole live experience, like I said seeing all the bits of pieces of it, trying and watching things. The customization is done quite well, I could jump into a game, having a talk session, send messages, and see what my few buddies were doing by jumping about the easy feature keys. So much interesting stuff and great. I really like how you can flip from voice chats from buddies to the game and forth.. So overall, yes its a great system and certianly pushing forward.. I am truely loving my Wii360, mmm.. good gaming..
tranhgiang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tranhgiang
Member since 2005 • 365 Posts

the-very-best

Hey, how could you forget Microsoft also make games for young girl, for example : Viva Pinata.

mirlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mirlegend

[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]Motion sensing and UI isn't the only way to advance games. Just look at something like Spore and you can see ways games can offer domething new which has absolutely nothing to do with a new UI.

the-very-best

PS2 had more than just improved graphics though. It had DVD at the time which was great for devs eventually, since we got some standout games once people learnt how to use the system and utilize the space of DVD at the time.

360 doesn't seem to add anything besides improved graphics. They seem to be playing catch up now though with rumours of a new 360 etc. They rushed it to the market to get in first but they've left out a lot of features which could make the system exceptional in the future.

Spore is an example of a creative concept, sure, and I'd love for devs to be as creative as that in the future, and of course it could happen for the 360. The thing that seperates the 360 from PS3 though is the motion sensing and Blu-ray which both in the future, if used correctly, can allow just normal games like Burnout or whatever to turn out great. I think normal games though like SSX, or Burnout, or you know, just normal titles, will be able to use motion sensing for the PS3 in a creative way which could really be quite good if they do it right.

Wii is in a different league of course with creative possibilities.

xna can be used as a creative outlet for 360 just as motion sensing can be used for ps3/wii. eventually xna will be able to use xbox live for online multiplayer. with careful consideration and imagination you can get very creative with multiplayer and do some unique things. theres also the vision camera to take into consideration. i dont see why that wont be added to xna in the future with its abilities (one of which is motion sensing).

Aerosmith_Lova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 Aerosmith_Lova
Member since 2006 • 684 Posts

It seems to me as if MS is simply going after one key demographic: male teens.

the-very-best

well to that i disagree, wat about game like viva pinata and fuzion frenzy 2

mirlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mirlegend
[QUOTE="mirlegend"]

shungokustasu

Online is just another tool for multi-player. I don't think there is more you can do online than what live and PSN is doing right now. I don't see the "online function" pushing the industry farther. Prime example: look at PC gaming.

for consoles it is. for xbox 1 online was something like 1 in 10 games now its it most of them on 360.

shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 shungokustasu

[QUOTE="the-very-best"]

It seems to me as if MS is simply going after one key demographic: male teens.

Aerosmith_Lova

well to that i disagree, wat about game like viva pinata and fuzion frenzy 2

those are not new genres.
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 shungokustasu
[QUOTE="shungokustasu"][QUOTE="mirlegend"]

mirlegend

for consoles it is. for xbox 1 online was something like 1 in 10 games now its it most of them on 360.

How is playing the same game alone then with people pushing the industry foward?
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Xbox Live is a bigger innovation then motion sensor. I don't care what people say. Giving you everything inside of one box is innovation. Demos, TV shows, Downloadable SD and HD movies, Extra game content, arcade games, and soon IPTV. You can cry all you want that Xbox 360 isn't pushing the industry forward, but it is. We have to start somewhere with microtransactions on consoles, and this is where it started. Soon we will be buying full games and episodic content on consoles. I bet this will happen with the next gen of consoles. You can thank Microsoft for bringing all of this to your console. It's about choice. It's about that box being the center of your living room. Xbox 360 has already moved the industry forward for better or for worse.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 the-very-best
Xbox Live is a bigger innovation then motion sensor. BioShockOwnz

True, but you're assuming Sony won't be able to match (or at least come close) Xbox Live with their own PSN? I'm sure they will eventually with regular updates.
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#47 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts
Nobody seemed to be critical of the PS2 for not 'pushing the industry forward', despite the fact that the only difference between the PS2 and PS1 at launch was the inclusion of a DVD drive (along with more powerful hardware). Compared to that jump, the Xbox 360 seems to be doing a lot more, from what I can tell.

Not only did Microsoft refine the current controller model, streamlining the shape, swapping out the black and white buttons for shoulder buttons, and adding the 'home' button in the middle, they've done a lot with Xbox Live, and integrating that into the console experience. Every gamer has their own established identity on Xbox Live. That identity is tied into all their games, whether it be through online multiplayer, downloading extra content, or just through achievements. In that way, Xbox Live creates an expanded virtual community through the tight integration of the online network, in a way the other consoles do not.

There are other minor differences, but those are less important. However, I don't have anything against the 'just improve the hardware' model of next-generationism. Because of that, I have nothing against what the Xbox 360 has done.
ko_threat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ko_threat
Member since 2004 • 631 Posts

the-very-best

I agree to an extent with what you are saying. The 360, even though it is a great system, very great indeed, it is essentially xbox with steroids and a better xbox live as well as hddvd thingy (dont know much about it -.-). And ps3 is essentially ps2 with steroids, psn, and blu ray. Wii is bringing something new to the table, but at the same time they are drastically cutting back on graphics. I personally dont think that there is anything... original left in the world, its just something thats been done before, but made to look better and more colorful.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]Xbox Live is a bigger innovation then motion sensor. the-very-best

True, but you're assuming Sony won't be able to match (or at least come close) Xbox Live with their own PSN? I'm sure they will eventually with regular updates.

But the point is Microsoft pushed the industry forward. They started putting all this stuff onto Live, and now other companies are hoping to be able to copy that success. I never said PSN couldn't do it. I just answered the question at hand.
mirlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mirlegend
[QUOTE="mirlegend"][QUOTE="shungokustasu"][QUOTE="mirlegend"]

shungokustasu

How is playing the same game alone then with people pushing the industry foward?

its pushing it forward by making it close to expectance that games that feature a multiplayer mode will be online multiplayer for 360 and hopefully by the end of the gen all 3 machines.