Is steam controll actually good for console and not pc?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Is steam controll actually good for console and not pc? (6 votes)

It's actually bad news 33%
It's good news 17%
It's good news... for console gaming 17%
Does Iraq get Playstation 4's? 33%

My friends, since one of the major complaints from pc gamers is "dumbing down" i.e. designing a game around a limited control pad for a couch experience... wouldn't it be logical to consider the steam controller and steamos are a threat?

Now, pc centric publishers across the spectrum are actively attempting to make games to support it. And it's logical, it equals a larger base and more money. Consequently, this also means, easier to port to consoles.

Total War for example and Company Of Heroes in the future will in all likelihood be designed with a control pad mind.

As a fan of Total War, this makes the child in my womb shrivel up.

How feels you on the issue?

• 
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

The whole point of that pad is that it simulates mouse, so I would worry. Plus it will be terrible niche. No sane dev will dumb down their game for the 2-5% of audience that will have Steam pad.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

The steam controller actually has a lot more configurations. So, it would actually benefit consoles... don't understand what PC gamer wants to use a gamepad over m/kb.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

For that to even happen, Steamboxes would have to become popular, which, with the current multiple models, i don't see happening. We can also say the console market is bigger and there was a push to try and put RTS on consoles, but it didn't work.

The steamboxes will be popular among "console players" who want to treat like one. PC gamers will keep using their rigs and pc dedicated games will keep pushing for keyboard and mouse. Let's not forget controllers with pcs as been possible for years. i'd say tons of pc gamers have controllers already.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

The steam controller actually has a lot more configurations. So, it would actually benefit consoles... don't understand what PC gamer wants to use a gamepad over m/kb.

Couch gaming.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@melonfarmerz said:

@bldgirsh said:

Couch gaming.

Possible with m/kb. I've done it for BF4 and its seemless. As beneficial it is for couch gaming, it shouldn't replace the m/kb.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

@melonfarmerz said:

@bldgirsh said:

Couch gaming.

Possible with m/kb. I've done it for BF4 and its seemless. As beneficial it is for couch gaming, it shouldn't replace the m/kb.

Ya but you need like a stand to put your stuff on and you have to sit upright for MKB. This thing is perfect for lying on the couch and playing civ 5