Is PS4 more like the PS1, PS2, or PS3?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online

Poll Is PS4 more like the PS1, PS2, or PS3? (59 votes)

PS1 10%
PS2 31%
PS3 58%

I'm gonna go with PS1 because when I think of PS1 I think of all the great RPGs I enjoyed. I really think the PS4 will have great Japan support this gen. What about you, SW?

• 
ihsanqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51 ihsanqueen
Member since 2008 • 913 Posts

In terms of games, PS4 is more like PS3, even it's games are mostly same with remaster version (LOL)

Joke aside, I really think PS4 is more like PS3 in terms of games because of how it embraces more western games than japanese games, back in PS2 you got more JRPG than shooter, but in PS3 and PS4 you got more shooter than JRPG. That's not actually a bad thing, Sony must develop their vision because of Japanese Developer had certainly can't keep up with High Definition game and too much focus on handeld games such as 3DS and Vita because of budget. Heck, PS4 didn't sold well in Japan but already become the fastest selling console ever, that certainly explains Japan position in gaming market has no longer become crucial than USA and UK

But in terms of sales, I really think PS4 is more like PS2 (I really hoped tough), because of how it can sell consoles pretty well despite the age of mobile gaming despite the lack of exclusives games!! I really think Microsoft and Nintendo are too arrogant this gen while Sony keep themselves humble, so thats why I think people chose to buy PS4

ihsanqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 ihsanqueen

In terms of games, PS4 is more like PS3, even it's games are mostly same with remaster version (LOL)

Joke aside, I really think PS4 is more like PS3 in terms of games because of how it embraces more western games than japanese games, back in PS2 you got more JRPG than shooter, but in PS3 and PS4 you got more shooter than JRPG. That's not actually a bad thing, Sony must develop their vision because of Japanese Developer had certainly can't keep up with High Definition game and too much focus on handeld games such as 3DS and Vita because of budget. Heck, PS4 didn't sold well in Japan but already become the fastest selling console ever, that certainly explains Japan position in gaming market has no longer become crucial than USA and UK

But in terms of sales, I really think PS4 is more like PS2 (I really hoped tough), because of how it can sell consoles pretty well despite the age of mobile gaming despite the lack of exclusives games!! I really think Microsoft and Nintendo are too arrogant this gen while Sony keep themselves humble, so thats why I think people chose to buy PS4

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

Success wise ps2 games wise right now its more like PS3 until Japanese devs stop supporting PS3 and just focus on making their games on PS4 only then it mght become more like a lesser PS2.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#54 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Crack in time was 09. I would call it good, but great? must play status, no.

That's the big difference here not to make bring back the old label of "killer app", but Sony's teams that aren't Naughty Dog haven't exactly been making it rain. Santa Monica has existed solely to finish up other peoples games. Lousy looking games too in this case.

A Crack In Time was really good. It's must play status. Media Molecule are great. Been hindered by shitty LBP for too long. They should start making more platformers because they are fucking good at it. Definately see them coming into their own more so this gen. SSM need to sort their shit out after GOW 3 and GOW A. Not that I even liked the series anyway. But I guess I see what you're saying. Sony's studios just have their fingers in too many pies and don't always deliver the goods as a result. Nintendo, for instance, stick to their guns and know their chops. They have mastered the Mario formula. A bad Mario game doesn't even exist. They don't quite know how to make a good Zelda game off by heart yet though. I guess what I'm saying is, Sony first party are not mediocre, just inconsistent af.

I'm not the biggest God of War person, not even close. But let me put it this way. God of War 1 GOTY contender for its respective year (I fucking disagree, that game sucks), God of War 2 highly praised sequel, better sales, and hey it even gets me to have a good time. God of War 3, good sales, highly praises sequel. How is that that studio needed to lay people off, and instead of getting the chance to do whatever they want, they are the ones helping other teams finish Journey, Order, etc? I could understand if some of that is Santa Monica wants to have their hands in all of this, but to me it's a highly talented studio that out right deserves better.

Like that one almost makes no sense to me. Microsoft shitting up Rare at least made some sense in the context that Rare wasn't bringing in the commercial success, and critically the babies couldn't appreciate how dope Nuts and Bolts is (and it is fucking dope, **** the "purists"). But Santa Monica being relegated to God of War factory/hey help everyone else finish their game? That to me is kind of lame.

XenoNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 XenoNinja
Member since 2003 • 5380 Posts

i'd say a sega master system.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

It seems like Sony learned a lot from what made the Xbox 360 so great. The PS4 feels more like the Xbox 360 to me than any other PlayStation console.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@ihsanqueen said:

what is Humble about charging 50 dollars per year for online compared to zero on PS3?

what is Humble about overcharging 100's of dollars for the tech inside the ps4?

what is Humble about making less exclusives than all the other playstation systems combined after year one?

they barely put out any unique games on ps4, they are upcharging like never before on ps4 on ps3 they lost money on each unit sold early on ps4 they are making probably close to 100 dollars per sale

ps3 they broke even or lost money, actually made some pretty decent year one exclusive, didn't charge for online play

ps3 was the most humble system of all time in retrospect where as the ps4 they are pushing it as far as they can go with greed imo

you really need to look at the whole picture, nintendo seems like the least greedy of all they put out the highest quality games out of all and its not even close thats the least greedy possible imo

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@ProtossRushX: do you ever have any idea what you're talking about

ihsanqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ihsanqueen

@ProtossRushX said:

@ihsanqueen said:

what is Humble about charging 50 dollars per year for online compared to zero on PS3?

what is Humble about overcharging 100's of dollars for the tech inside the ps4?

what is Humble about making less exclusives than all the other playstation systems combined after year one?

they barely put out any unique games on ps4, they are upcharging like never before on ps4 on ps3 they lost money on each unit sold early on ps4 they are making probably close to 100 dollars per sale

ps3 they broke even or lost money, actually made some pretty decent year one exclusive, didn't charge for online play

ps3 was the most humble system of all time in retrospect where as the ps4 they are pushing it as far as they can go with greed imo

you really need to look at the whole picture, nintendo seems like the least greedy of all they put out the highest quality games out of all and its not even close thats the least greedy possible imo

What? You called Nintendo the least greedy while they overcharge their piece-of-junk-console called WiiU which only slightly stronger than PS3 and 360 and much weaker than PS4 and Xbox One? WiiU is a console built into gimmick feature which is the GamePad and many developers rarely use that feature.

And if you talk about year one, WiiU definitely had ONE OF THE WORST YEAR ever for console. With lack of exclusives and third party title, in the year one WiiU is completely piece of junk. The PS4 however learned from Nintendo, Sony knew their first party exclusives are lacking in the year one, so they focus on third party titles and indies. So I can played Dragon Age, Destiny, Shadow of Mordor, etc on my PS4. What did Nintendo do in their first year?

Maybe Sony got a little greedy for PS+, I gotta admit that. But because what Microsoft and Nintendo did this generation are so terrible, I still called Sony being the most humble among those top 3.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Obviously the PS3. ;)

In game output I would also say the same... for now. Who knows what it will be by the end of its cycle. Maybe it will have several classics like the PS1 or maybe a girth of good games like the PS2.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Its best game is a PS3 game, I think that says it all however Playstation has been on a steady decline since the PS2.

PS3 was disappointing, PS4 will be even worse.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#63 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@lostrib said:

It's like the x1

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44292 Posts

Ata.. erm, Sony Jaguar seems about right. :P

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13672 Posts

PS3. Less of a Japanese Identity and less exclusives than ever before because most games are multiplat with the PC these days, even "console exclusives" and especially 3rd party games. Sorry cows, those days are over, time to let it go.

The only thing the PS4 has going for it, is that it is easier to develop for.

So many games going to the PC has turned this gen into a waste and I don't celebrate it.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18830 Posts

@Mkavanaugh77: "PS1 and PS2 are great consoles, not the PS4."

Yeah PS3 and PS4 is not even in PS1 and PS2's league.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

PS3.

Ps4 might have the largest library this gen with the VITA annexing titles in the upcoming years.