Is PC emulation of console games morally wrong in your opinion?

• 140 results
pixieValerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 5

#101 pixieValerie
Member since 2019 • 367 Posts

I don't see a problem with emulation, though I generally still try to buy the games, but I'm not paying the absurd prices for some older games, f that. And it sucks having Nintendo games locked to their weak hardware, so it would be very tempting.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#102 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

@pyro1245: That has nothing to do with Nintendo games, movies, or music.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1284 Posts

Poor Take Two had to delist the old GTA games , just so people would buy their not at all terrible trilogy remaster.... other wise their execs would've been evicted from their mansions. So yes very morally wrong.

Serious ...for every 1 person who emulates a Switch game, there's 1000s of schmuchs who paid $60 for it.(Soon to be $70). So basically it's a nonissue imo.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#104 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70500 Posts

Nintendo fannies getting upset over emulation because they are stuck playing on inferior hardware.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105  Edited By dimebag667  Online
Member since 2003 • 3130 Posts
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@dimebag667: Nintendo releasing $70 games on 20 year old hardware and Sony milking their fans with remasters of remasters of re...

The milking just don't stop with these two.

Those practices are definitely lame, but I don't know if they qualify as milking. If people are willing to pay top dollar for underpowered hardware and digital regurgitation, why would any company not sell to them? They wouldn't do it if no one was buying.

Is it milking to offer people what they want?

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 294 Posts

Eh,I don't see it as a big deal ...as long as you're not making a personal profit out of the software in question that you don't own.

Speaking off which...with how big games are getting in size scope ...it'll be debatable if there's going be any space around for those people who own computers that weren't met for gpu intensive gaming in ... even if you bought enough terabyte hard drives

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 23020 Posts

I think it's morally wrong to sell people the same game over and over and over again. I also thinks it's morally wrong to steal games. In this digital age people should be able to retain their libraries without fear of losing content on every future hardware to be made. I think emulating owned games is not morally wrong, but maybe thieving ROMS outright is pretty clear cut.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 529 Posts

Do I care if a corporation that re-sells an old game and locks fast travel for it behind a toy that's subject to an artificial supply shortage gets mad about emulation? No. No I don't. They can die mad about it.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16612 Posts

@dimebag667: it's the definition of milking. You know how much Xbox charged gamers to play the 4k 60fps remasters of its games?? $0

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1283 Posts
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@pclover1980: mods to emulated switch games ?? The heck, where have I been, did emulated games reach that point??

Mate, it's more than just visual mods. More. A lot more.

You hate PC, so I can't blame you for not knowing shit about PC gaming.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#111  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41584 Posts

If you do it, knock yourself out. Any emulation on PC I try to use is DoSBox (but of course, being DoS, that is a b****).

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23734 Posts

Every time I see those raytraced BotW vids, just looks gross lol.

Playing BotW at higher resolution and frames, yes, awesome. That GI solution just murders the art style though. Borders on UE4 fan project looks.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By ConanTheStoner
@TheEroica said:

I think it's morally wrong to sell people the same game over and over and over again.

Ha, yeah, this ones funny. I remember someone on here nagging me about playing the SM64 PC port a couple of years back. Like I was hurting Nintendo.

Ah yes, SM64. The game I bought on N64. And DS. And Wii. And even got fleeced again on the All Stars collection.

Poor Nintendo.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#114 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15598 Posts

Nintendo has some dogshit game preservation policies so it's hard to feel any moral qualms about emulating their games.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#115 judaspete  Online
Member since 2005 • 7374 Posts

Emulation is not morally wrong. We buy a license to use the software, I say we get to use that software.

Piracy is wrong, but even then I'd rank it low the reprehensibility scale.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#116 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2608 Posts

No, I got the rights to play that game the moment i got it by legal meanings.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 dimebag667  Online
Member since 2003 • 3130 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@dimebag667: it's the definition of milking. You know how much Xbox charged gamers to play the 4k 60fps remasters of its games?? $0

One of the earliest lessons I learned was "nothing is free", followed closely by "everybody Wang Chung tonight". They just want you to keep playing in their ecosystem.

I couldn't care less about most modern games, 4k or 60fps, but that's nice for people that do. And if I wouldn't bother for free, I sure as f*ck wouldn't pay for it. So if someone is willing to pay, that nonsense will continue.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

TC salty and jelly. Cows are sad!

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2097 Posts

Emulation is not a moral quandary, if you are using emulation to facilitate piracy you are out of order, if you own the game then fill your boots.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#120 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

If Nintendo releases its games on steam, I'd be glad to buy them because PC is my platform of choice

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

There is 100% nothing wrong with the simple act of emulation in any case scenario.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#123 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16051 Posts

I believe it is; I consider it stealing. "You shall not steal" is one of the ten commandments.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#124 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13672 Posts

Games you can't buy or easily get any more, 6th gen and previous, not really. If it's games you could buy, it's morally wrong.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#125 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41584 Posts

@girlusocrazy: Ya know what I mean, smart one. :P

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#127 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: emulating modern console games is wrong and bad.

emulating Zelda and other Switch games are the right thing to do. No one should be forced to use garbage hardware in 2023.

One of the reasons I ordered an RTX 4090 PC to finally be able to play Zelda BOTW. in 4K/120fps with ray tracing / Ultra HD mdos etc :B

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#128 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

@Mozelleple112: You paid all that money to play a game with graphics from 2008. 🤡

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 ConanTheStoner

@Mozelleple112:

Do yourself a favor and try it without ray tracing first. Game looks great as is at higher resolutions and frames. There's a rhyme and reason to BotWs art direction and how they went about masking certain shortcomings. The ray traced GI just kills it imo.

It's pretty typical of some PC gamers to think throwing as much shit as they can at the screen, or doing the most taxing thing, automatically means it must look better.

Anyways, great game, looks and runs great on PC, enjoy.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45534 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

@SolidGame_basic: emulating modern console games is wrong and bad.

emulating Zelda and other Switch games are the right thing to do. No one should be forced to use garbage hardware in 2023.

One of the reasons I ordered an RTX 4090 PC to finally be able to play Zelda BOTW. in 4K/120fps with ray tracing / Ultra HD mdos etc :B

I’m no gaming PC expert, but something tells me you don’t need a 4090 to do that 😄

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Mozelleple112

@ConanTheStoner:Thanks. And yeah just a bit of exaggeration. but the bare minimum is I will be running in like 6-8 times the resolution of the Switch while having 2x (or higher) fps. Have you seen the BOTW 8K vids on Youtube? it looks incredible.

That's how I look forward to playing it.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#132  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17923 Posts
@Mozelleple112 said:

@ConanTheStoner:Thanks. And yeah just a bit of exaggeration. but the bare minimum is I will be running in like 6-8 times the resolution of the Switch while having 2x (or higher) fps. Have you seen the BOTW 8K vids on Youtube? it looks incredible.

That's how I look forward to playing it.

I bet very few have actually seen the true 8K videos because very few have 8K displays. I always find it funny when these 8K videos pop up because people do not have the displays to watch them. Sadly, it is used as a buzzword with little value to people. Seriously, who the fuk actually has an 8K display?

"Shipments of 8K TVs only accounted for 0.15% of all TV shipments in 2021, and Samsung — the 8K leader with a 65% market share — sold 18% fewer 8K TVs in 2021 than in 2020."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/8k-dying-ces-2023/

8K = No Fucks Given. It is a bigger bust than 3D TVs at this point.

4K/120hz OLED is where it is at.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Mozelleple112

@SolidGame_basic: nah of course. I'm sure a 3080 could do the same. From what I gathered, emulation requires multitudes more power than the original platform had to run smoothly. If it could run BOTW natively then I am certain even a GTX 960would run 4K/60fps++ haha.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 ConanTheStoner

Ha, yeah like Bass said, seen the vids but obviously not on a 8k display.

I went 1440p 60 for BotW.

Biggest thing is getting away from those Switch frames. Of course any res boost from there is an upgrade.

I kept it locked to 60fps as I heard physics and menus can get weird beyond that. Never tested myself, don't know if it's still a thing or ever really was. Tbh was just happy to have the game running perfectly at 60.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Nintendo will make you a life long indentured slave if they find out!

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 SolidGame_basic

I wonder if the people playing Tears of the Kingdom now will actually buy the game 😎

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By BassMan
@SolidGame_basic said:

I wonder if the people playing Tears of the Kingdom now will actually buy the game 😎

The problem with that is you are telling Nintendo that it is OK to restrict their games to shit hardware. I am not OK with that. If they want my money, they can release a PC version. Personally, I won't be playing the shit Switch version or an emulator version until it is at least 60fps. I have no issue whatsoever resorting to an emulator version to play the game if it allows me to play at decent quality. Nintendo can go fuk off if they want to hold their games hostage on shit hardware.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#139 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

It's ok for games that no company owns anymore but it's bad for games that had trouble selling as it is. Like Metroid, for example. I don't agree with emulating current gen Nintendo games.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 SolidGame_basic

@BassMan said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

The problem with that is you are telling Nintendo that it is OK to restrict their games to shit hardware. I am not OK with that. If they want my money, they can release a PC version. Personally, I won't be playing the shit Switch version or an emulator version until it is at least 60fps. I have no issue whatsoever resorting to an emulator version to play the game if it allows me to play at decent quality. Nintendo can go fuk off if they want to hold their games hostage on shit hardware.

if you worked really hard to make a game, you would be ok with people emulating It without people paying for it?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By BassMan
@SolidGame_basic said:
@BassMan said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

if you worked really hard to make a game, you would be ok with people emulating It without people paying for it?

Yes, because I would understand that it is on a shit platform and people would do what they needed to experience quality. If the company that I am working for is not delivering that, that is the company's fault. I would get paid regardless. I most likely would not be working for that company anyway unless they paid me a lot of money.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 SolidGame_basic

@BassMan said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@BassMan said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Yes, because I would understand that it is on a shit platform and people would do what they needed to experience quality. If the company that I am working for is not delivering that, that is the company's fault. I would get paid regardless. I most likely would not be working for that company anyway unless they paid me a lot of money.

That’s some strange sense of entitlement 🤣

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By BassMan
@SolidGame_basic said:
@BassMan said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@BassMan said:

That’s some strange sense of entitlement 🤣

When I don't get quality, I get angry....

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#144 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8915 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: If you pay for the game, why not?

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2313 Posts

Nintendo just removed the digital stores for Wii U and 3DS forever. I thank god for emulation because it allows us to preserve these games and enhance them

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1650 Posts

@Fairmonkey said:

Nintendo just removed the digital stores for Wii U and 3DS forever. I thank god for emulation because it allows us to preserve these games and enhance them

Wii U Mario Kart in 4K is glorious!!

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

If you paid for the game, who cares what hardware runs it and what screen you use to project the image?