Is PC emulation of console games morally wrong in your opinion?

• 140 results
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34791 Posts

It's extremely morally right, in my opinion.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#52  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58533 Posts

I feel that if you purchase a copy of a game (emphasis on the word "copy"), then you have the right to play that game in any form on any platform you choose.

I'm no lawyer, but AFAIK the "TL;DR:" version is that we don't buy games, we buy the right to play them. In the fine print there is of course ways for the publisher to back out, and they can revoke that right at any time, but they have to do that on the individual or mass basis, which means they have to take the game offline.

So basically if you have purchased the right to play a game, and the publisher has not issued any sort of thing to revoke that right, you can play it however you want.

That is my personal-but-mildly-informed opinion on the matter. If someone wants to get technical with me and cite legal precedents that's fine.

I also feel that, as consumers, we must exert what little power we have over corporate entities. If I bought a game but for whatever reason it doesn't work on modern platforms as is (say, in the form of a cartridge, or incompatible software) and the older platform is no longer available to purchase, then I must seek alternative means to maintain that right of play I purchased.

Likewise, corporations tend to dick their customers around for some really stupid reasons, and I feel it's only right that we whip ours out and dick them around in kind. **** us? No no no, **** you.

@girlusocrazy said:

@mesome713: There is no law that says you can not

Mostly this, too. That's the short answer haha.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

Here’s a recent court decision which ruled unauthorized copies of games to be illegal .

“These circumvention devices, which enable the use of unauthorised copies of video games, jeopardise the businesses of those who uphold and rely upon the sales of legitimate products. As such UKIE fully supports the ruling and wishes to reiterate the strong stance of the UK video games industry against illegitimate operators. The case represents one of multiple industry endeavours to prevent bad actors from infringing upon and exploiting the intellectual property rights associated with games.”

Pirates get rekted.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54  Edited By Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50683 Posts
@mesome713 said:

Here’s a recent court decision which ruled unauthorized copies of games to be illegal .

These circumvention devices, which enable the use of unauthorised copies of video games, jeopardise the businesses of those who uphold and rely upon the sales of legitimate products. As such UKIE fully supports the ruling and wishes to reiterate the strong stance of the UK video games industry against illegitimate operators. The case represents one of multiple industry endeavours to prevent bad actors from infringing upon and exploiting the intellectual property rights associated with games.”

Pirates get rekted.

Sounds like they are assuming the person who emulates a game doesn't actually buy the copy of the game.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11707 Posts
@mesome713 said:

“These circumvention devices, which enable the use of unauthorised copies of video games, jeopardise the businesses of those who uphold and rely upon the sales of legitimate products. As such UKIE fully supports the ruling and wishes to reiterate the strong stance of the UK video games industry against illegitimate operators. The case represents one of multiple industry endeavours to prevent bad actors from infringing upon and exploiting the intellectual property rights associated with games.”

Pirates get rekted.

Lol, link the article. Bet it's not recent and has to do with installing custom firmware on the switch.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Mesome713

@Chutebox: They would have said so. Instead, the court called it unauthorized copies. Nintendo themselves are against backing up games and says if you want a backup copy to buy one on the eshop. Devices used to back up games are also illegal. Even if you have the game or not, its illegal.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16612 Posts

@pclover1980: mods to emulated switch games ?? The heck, where have I been, did emulated games reach that point??

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Chutebox  Online

@mesome713 said:

@Chutebox: They would have said so. Instead, the court called it unauthorized copies. Nintendo themselves are against backing up games and says if you want a backup copy to buy one on the eshop.

Wait, company wants you to repurchase a game you already own? You don't say haha

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Mesome713

@Chutebox: Yeah, what do expect? Something for free? GTFO!

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

Prefer to buy all my games. And yeah, it's a moral thing. I do use emulation, but typically only with really old games that you can't buy anymore. If the game is still being sold, and I'm not talking about ebay secondhand offers, then I'll buy it and not emulate.

Piracy with games that are still available from the companies that made them is absolute shit.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56446 Posts

@mesome713 said:

Pirates get rekted.

This reads like

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Chutebox  Online

@mesome713 said:

@Chutebox: Yeah, what do expect? Something for free? GTFO!

It's not free, I already own it

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Mesome713

@Chutebox: And you still do own it without a backup copy. Maybe dont buy it since Nintendo dont authorize a backup. Nothing is free.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Chutebox  Online

@mesome713 said:

@Chutebox: And you still do own it without a backup copy.

Ok, glad we got that cleared up.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8512 Posts

LOL someone got b*tthurt that his attempt to one-up backfired. BTW a better question for TC, is it morally wrong to buy/sell used games on consoles?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17885 Posts
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@pclover1980: is it even worth emulating switch games on pc? I mean, is there a real improvement aside from a fps bump? And upscale resolution?

You say that like it's nothing. I generally have a very flexible approach to Visuals. I still play 3DS games. The switch has many nice looking games in it's own right.

But even i'm now starting to wince at some of the game coming out. The big one for me is Xenoblade 3. In fairness Monolithsoft did the best they could with what they had....but there is only so much the switch can do. There were times when i was thinking "man i would really prefer to play this on something else". Even if they just reduced the level of post process upscaling (its like running DLSS or FSR in performance mode just to hit 900P...not a good time), upped the res and cleaned up the image a bit, it would still actually make a big difference for the overall presentation of the game.

anywho my take: morally, as long as you pay for it, play it where ever you like. The content creator has no business dictating where you can play something. That's like an artist saying you can only put a picture they created (that you bought a copy of) in a certain frame and hang it in a certain way on a certain wall. They can piss off with that idea.

EULAs say a lot of things. They are not gospel.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#67 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9439 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@pclover1980: mods to emulated switch games ?? The heck, where have I been, did emulated games reach that point??

Playing Mario Kart 8 online multiplayer via emulation is just so, so much better and easier than playing on the Switch. I own MK8 and a Switch and I would pick the emulator 100% of the time. Private rooms with friends is so easy, and there are plenty of public rooms too for up to 8 players. Oh, and did I mention all the custom tracks you can get???? Nintendo just isn't meeting the needs of their users.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Mesome713

@pyro1245: Nintendo sold 50 million copies of Mario Kart 8. I’d say they’re meeting the needs just fine.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 pyro1245

@mesome713 said:

@pyro1245: Nintendo sold 50 million copies of Mario Kart 8. I’d say they’re meeting the needs just fine.

Lol you would say that. Thankfully, you do not represent 100% of the Switch users 🤣

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Mesome713

@pyro1245: Yeah, I’m just one of those 50 million who bought Mario Kart 8. Nintendo doing us wrong once again.

FantasyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 FantasyGamer
Member since 2015 • 518 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@pclover1980: is it even worth emulating switch games on pc? I mean, is there a real improvement aside from a fps bump? And upscale resolution?

Loading Video...

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45535 Posts
@pc_rocks said:

LOL someone got b*tthurt that his attempt to one-up backfired. BTW a better question for TC, is it morally wrong to buy/sell used games on consoles?

Is it morally wrong to buy/sell used cars? Bikes? Computers? Shoes? Gear?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Mesome713

@fantasygamer: Too much pop in, it looks like crap

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3130 Posts

I bet most people that are pro emulator would change their tune if it was their hard work being stolen. Spending years of yours, and your employees lives to add something new to the world, just to have some entitled twirp act like they DESERVE your creation. **** that. Just imagine it's your company and employees.

Between digital piracy and subscription streaming services, the perceived value of entertainment has been significantly damaged. People expect more for less... or for free. But if you want a quality product, that someone busted their ass on for years, they deserve to be compensated. But that's not to say these companies are free of any responsibility. They have frequently shown that they are willing to overcharge, abuse the creators, lock content behind subscription walls, etc. And that only gives pirates the justification they're looking for.

If you own the game, and just want to play on a more powerful system, or care about preservation, I don't see a huge problem with that. But just because you bought scratched PS1 copy of RE2 for $5, that doesn't give you the RIGHT to steal RE2R.

I'm no better than anyone else here. I've danced with the devil in the pale moonlight, but it doesn't make it right.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1650 Posts

@mesome713 All you seem to care about is Nintendo. What about all those other systems? You know, those other consoles and computers that have existed since the birth of the industry. The ones NOT owned by NINTENDO?

I've got nearly every major Arcade game, every C64 game ever released, all the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive games. A massive archive of all the major Commodore Amiga games released in the 90's and a treasure trove of PC DOS games. What about these?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Mesome713

@Bond007uk: You can steal from them POSs.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 blaznwiipspman1

@Bond007uk: nah he also owns an Xbox series x

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@dimebag667: bro, these developers aren't starving, especially the big ones. I reccomend paying for smaller developers games, but big game developers like Nintendo and Sony are scamming hard, they need to get rekkd. No need to worry about the fat arse old white dude not being able to buy his latest yacht.

Heck, even the developers working for these big AAA companies are making bank. It's the small studios that are squeaking by.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#79 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20250 Posts

Only if I got the roms for games I never purchased.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Mesome713

@blaznwiipspman1: Its the small companies who have a hard time preserving their games. Thats why so many people illegally download their games to help preserve them. Got to help the little studio out they say. And now with AI becoming so powerful, we can use it to recreate these small companies games for free without even needing the small studios help. Preserving these companies games will be even easier. And they cant afford to take you to court either.

It took Nintendo almost 7 years to take just a couple pirate sites to court, these small studios dont even stand a chance,

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11273 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@fantasygamer: Too much pop in, it looks like crap

You didn't have that energy when that broken ass Pokemon game dropped

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Mesome713

@BenjaminBanklin: I dont play or buy Pokemon games. Game Freak are pure trash.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 pyro1245

@mesome713 said:

@pyro1245: Yeah, I’m just one of those 50 million who bought Mario Kart 8. Nintendo doing us wrong once again.

Me too, and I agree.

If Nintendo can't be arsed to put an ethernet port on their dock at launch, and instead include the lousiest wifi adapter I have ever used, then I am justified in finding a better way to play the games online.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7719 Posts

A hard stance against emulating games that I own. Np using consoles linked to slave labour, concentration camps and genocide.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Mesome713

@pyro1245: Aint nothing wrong with being a thief. Thousands of people do it. You gotta survive mate, life is hard.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Fedor

@mesome713 said:

@pyro1245: Aint nothing wrong with being a thief. Thousands of people do it. You gotta survive mate, life is hard.

What was stolen?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7719 Posts

since Ian doesn't want to hand out links, I'll leave this here:

https://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2014-01/cp140009en.pdf

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Mesome713

@fedor: An unauthorized copy of a game and unauthorized device to play said illegal game. Try to keep up old timer.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Fedor
@mesome713 said:

@fedor: An unauthorized copy of a game and unauthorized device to play said illegal game. Try to keep up old timer.

So nothing then. Owns hardware, owns the software, Nintendo got paid. Good talk.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3130 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@dimebag667: bro, these developers aren't starving, especially the big ones. I reccomend paying for smaller developers games, but big game developers like Nintendo and Sony are scamming hard, they need to get rekkd. No need to worry about the fat arse old white dude not being able to buy his latest yacht.

Heck, even the developers working for these big AAA companies are making bank. It's the small studios that are squeaking by.

But it's rarely the old fat ass white dude that gets hurt. It's all the people that are lower on the totem pole getting canned. I haven't bought or played a new game since 2019, so I'm not funding anyone's yacht. Honestly at this point, I wouldn't mind if the AAA market collapsed, and the AA /indie scene got to rebuild the industry. It's bloated and boring anyway. Might as well let it burn.

Im curious. What exactly are Sony and Nintendo doing to scam you?

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8512 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@pc_rocks said:

Is it morally wrong to buy/sell used cars? Bikes? Computers? Shoes? Gear?

One is a license and others are physical commodities. Try again.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 pyro1245

@fedor said:
@mesome713 said:

What was stolen?

They can't imagine anyone would buy Nintendo hardware and think it is woefully inadequate.

A true fanboy. 🤣

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44695 Posts

Honestly, it seems less and less so by the day. Take for instance that Amazon sells counterfeit devices playing thousands of pirated games, from countless third party retailers, and doesn't do anything about it. And they do claim they crack down on it, but when they do, an new third party sprouts up, takes its place with positive reviews farmed already. But, nothing has happened, it persists, out in the open. Not legal action taken by Nintendo, no action taken by DOJ.

The problem has gotten so bad that it doesn't just limit itself to third party sellers, this stuff ends up in the distribution chains of major retailers.

Even during Covid, the larger public health concern didn't stop Amazon from selling so many counterfeit masks, they'd even keep selling them after the seller or item was outed as counterfeit. And there's never been any major repercussions from any of these degrees of brazen piracy and selling if counterfeit products. Perhaps we don't have the laws to enforce through third party online services or the resources to enforce them aren't enough to keep up.

Anyhow, when I was in Vietnam, I remember going to a video store where you can browse through a catalog of titles and you pick them out while someone goes in back and grabs a burned copy on DVD, it was less than a dollar a movie. I imagine that where we're headed. We'll no longer have malls with major retailers, rather, flee markets lined with stalls that peddle counterfeit goods.

But computer piracy didn't cause this. If anything I'd argue the emulation and ROM sites were kind of like the idea of controlling vice. Like, you can't stamp out all illegal behavior, better to use resources to rather shape the black market to something stable, predictable, managed, than to create a constant and chaotic power vacuum. Not sure the reason it's been on overdrive lately, but I certainly feel Nintendo's holy war against ROM sites will definitely escalate the brazen selling of these cheap Chinese all in one emulation centers with thousands of games pre-installed.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 pyro1245

@mesome713:

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Mesome713

@pyro1245: You still don’t have the right to backup or download an unauthorized copy of a game on an unauthorized device to play said game. Which is piracy and illegal.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 blaznwiipspman1

@dimebag667: Nintendo releasing $70 games on 20 year old hardware and Sony milking their fans with remasters of remasters of re...

The milking just don't stop with these two.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 blaznwiipspman1

@mesome713: so you want to preserve the little guys games, and I don't want to pay the fat rich dude to buy his next yacht. What do we do?

The best option would be everyone stop buying AAA games, and the developers all start their own small studios and make games with the help of AI, and we can buy. Time to spread that wealth.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 pyro1245

@mesome713 said:

@pyro1245: You still don’t have the right to backup or download an unauthorized copy of a game on an unauthorized device to play said game. Which is piracy and illegal.

Again. So rude. Until you can drop a link to an official source that invalidates and supersedes 17 USC 117, you are out of line calling US people in this thread thieves without proof.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#100  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17923 Posts

As always, it comes down to quality. If Nintendo is trying to force people to buy their shit hardware to play a game that looks and runs like shit on it, you can not blame people for turning to PC to save the day. Nintendo is stupid not to release their games on PC when people can just play them on PC anyway. PC gamers are willing to support Nintendo on PC, but Nintendo doesn't want the extra money.