is paying for alpha/beta "early access" type stuff a scam?

• 68 results
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll is paying for alpha/beta "early access" type stuff a scam? (58 votes)

Of course it is 36%
Of course not 53%
I thought this was IGN 10%

Hello my friends. Having read pc gamer, I was shocked, both emotionally and physically to see, in order to particpate in the Elite: dangerous beta, you must pay $150....

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/30/elite-dangerous-premium-beta-now-available-at-a-150-price-tag/

Being an older pc gamer, a child of the 90's, I remember participating in things such as the Quake 3 alpha, me and my (many, many) friends, in a room on lan, all hooked up, having 12 man matches.. spending literally, hundreds of hours.

Having also been on steam for almost a decade now, it appears to be almost, getting spammed with "early access". With "premium" prices for you, to have the privilege to help them.

Rather than high quility titles like Quake 3 was even in the alpha stage, many look like a bad halflife 2 mod a 14 year old made at the weekend. Indeed, Valve have now intervened and removed titles due to the lack of quality.

Having a great respect and admiration for your opinions, and personally, blinded by rage and hate (and thus bias) I need your incredibly objective opinions on this issue.

Is it all just a bunch of changing cunts trying to take us for a ride? Or a good thing.

• 
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Only if you're dumb enough to fall for it.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

How is it a scam?

You're fulling aware of what you are paying for exactly

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

If its something I know im going to buy anyway (like a Bohemia Interactive game for example) then ill pay for the early access. This way I get the game for cheaper and no one is forcing me to play it until its finished.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

Some are, some aren't. I don't like alphas/betas that cost more than the final game would or is going to- buying the "privilege" to play a bug ridden, incomplete game early is stupid. However, a lot of them are the opposite and actually cost LESS if you invest a modest amount ($25-$40) into them before they come out at full or just below retail.

If you want to see early access done right, see Divinity: Original Sin. It was a super good deal to buy alpha/beta access (cost less than retail), you of course got a copy (or two) of the final game, you got lots of in game, or physical, goodies with it, you got to play a decent sized PORTION of the game early, as to not ruin the experience by playing the whole game before it's all finished, and the developers really listened to feedback and it shows in the current beta build. They used the money generated from their Kickstarter to finish (they ran out of money before they asked for crowd funding, so the game would have been delayed or possibly even canned) and vastly improve the game by adding more content, features, orchestrated music, improved graphics, more polish, etc.

And that's how it should work- donate money for early access, get a full copy of the game with some extras, get to play the alpha or beta to give feedback, have the developer listen to feedback and change the game accordingly, you play some more to give more feedback, developer listens to feedback, repeat until finished then get to be able to play the entire, final game.

But yes, there are the inevitable scams.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

How is it a scam?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#12 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Depends on game . If you don't like what you see , then don't support it . Yes , it is that simple .

Some games used Early Access extremely well , like Lichdom : Battlemage . Its early access was launched this year and was used to balance stats of different magical spells . Now full commercial release is set for late august .

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Its optional. The quality titles its worth it, like Elite and Star Citizen.

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts

It's a scam. Think of it this way. 90% of all movies, books, games, paintings etc etc are all shit. Early Access attempts to sell you on the idea of entertainment rather than the actual finished product, that statistically will most likely suck ass. It's also a scam because instead of you waiting for a sale or price drop to buy suck ass game the prices remain inflated longer due to paid alpha etc etc.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

It is what hermits do and they like it.. kickstarter, indie alpha/beta crap on steam etc

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58961 Posts

@blutfahne said:

It's a scam. Think of it this way. 90% of all movies, books, games, paintings etc etc are all shit. Early Access attempts to sell you on the idea of entertainment rather than the actual finished product, that statistically will most likely suck ass. It's also a scam because instead of you waiting for a sale or price drop to buy suck ass game the prices remain inflated longer due to paid alpha etc etc.

My friend you make an excellent point. It's kinda like Dragons Den except instead of entrepreneur savvy business men objectively and willingly able to say "**** off you ****" it's mostly teenager kids and people in their early 20's. who are quite easily duped and manipulated, young, un-mature minds.

Loading Video...

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Ofcourse Not, If gamers are this stupid then they deserve whatever they got coming.

If we appplied this kinda of thinking everywhere then evevrything would be a scam......

At what point are people gonna man up and take Personal Responsibility ?

Personal Responsbility ! I have to say it twice.

The same goes to hermits who blame console gamers for dumbing down their favourite game.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

yes it is

No other media would DARE pull this crap.But then again gamers are suckers so i can see why they do it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

No, because they tell you up front that it is an alpha/beta and that the game is unfinished.

Unless of course they purposely mislead you on the timeline of the game or the features available during early access

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lulu_Lulu

@ShepardCommandr

I can't believe I actually agree with you......

Excuse me while I scrub the shame off my Skin......

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Yup, people had to get that crappy game Crackdown to get access to the highly anticipated Halo 3 beta.

I got MoH (2010) because I wanted it, but also to get access to the Battlefield 3 beta... then they friggin open the beta up to everyone... bullshit.

The Crysis 2 beta probably did more harm than good. The actually game was awesome, but I remember the beta caused a lot of negative reaction, probably hurt the games potential. They should have done a SP demo with MP beta access tied in to help promote the game.

Scammers on the net are taking advantage of peoples anticipation for games to set up fake sites to give out beta access. Who knows what ends people are doing this. To get your email addresses and phish valuable information from you? To get people to give up their gaming account info so they can take it over and the credit card attached to it?

As for that $150, that takes the cake. At that price you should get a free copy of the game and some like awesome limited edition collectible.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

@jimmy_russell said:

@The_Stand_In said:
But yes, there are the inevitable scams.

Invariably. But wouldn't you agree that the few who abuse it ruin it for the rest? Don't you think the reason why independent developing wasn't popular before was to prevent this sort of thing from happening?

Yes and no. There are people who abuse the system in...well... any system; be it games, movies, music, even healthcare. But you can't let cheaters put it down for everyone who is doing it right, because those people/developers do exist. If we were to allow the few that abuse the system to ruin it for the rest, a lot of great things may never see the light of day. And for that prospect alone I think it's worth having.

I think independent developing/crowd funding probably wasn't that popular before because there was no really good infrastructure to do it well. Now we have PayPal and Kickstarter and others to oversee projects/funds and manage them better, and safer, than ever before with Kickstarter even having a money back guarantee on some projects if they fail to meet their goal. That and times have changed.

Betas used to be mostly closed off to the masses and only a chosen few were selected to participate. I think developers have seen the folly of only having a *few* beta test their games and have decided to open them up to allow for more testing/feedback to gauge how their game is doing. Somewhere along the way, though, someone got the idea (and it's not all bad) to charge for beta access. At first it seems like a stupid idea. CHARGE people for what they used to PAY people to do. But in reality, if put to good use, it can really work. Additional money for small developers to fully finish, improve, and polish their games to their full potential is never bad. And if the developer actually listens to player feedback and makes changes and implements them well, the result may be a better game for everyone.

I do think everyone should be a bit wary of crowd funded games, especially if they are from an unknown and unproven developer. Chris Roberts (Star Citizen) and Larian Studios (Divinity Original Sin) are more tried and true so they have more credibility. But sometimes you just have to have a little faith and if the initial concept (or what has been produced so far) is compelling enough for you to take the plunge, I don't see anything wrong with that. If you have half a brain you know the risk, you know it might change, and you know it might turn out bad. But it was a gamble to begin with.

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 steamistrash
Member since 2014 • 431 Posts

yes

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

in the case of elite thats a real gamble. you get access to the beta, the full game and any expansions that will come out....but what expansions? i have heard mutterings of an expansion involving landing on planets and being able to walk around or something but no really solid plans. these are also expansion packs that may never get made.

it would have been better if they had a reduced price beta offer (say 30 quid to access the beta and you get the full game when its released (assuming the full game will be 40)).

i wouldnt call it a scam. they state what your getting and how much you are paying clearly. but people need to be aware that there is an element of risk. it can all go horribly wrong and you may get nothing back for your money. there will be delays in delivery also so there is no point throwing a hissy fit when it happens.

im not against the crowd funding and early access thing in principal. without them games like pillars or eternity, elite and start citizen simply wouldnt get developed. publishers are not interested but, as has been demonstrated by these successful campaigns, elements of the market still are. just not to an extent where EA and co would get the finger out (only star citizen has generated enough money to make a publisher sit up and take notice). i would much rather see these games get made than not and if that means taking a small risk and putting a few bob down for pre order then fair enough.

maybe there should be a disclaimer clearly stating that there is a chance that it can all go horribly wrong and you may get nothing for your money when people are about to puchase the early access programs or using kickstarter and co.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@lamprey263

In my Country $150 is a Nintendo Wii plus 1 game. :)

I think thats more valuable than getting into a Beta even if you get the game afterwards.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@lamprey263

In my Country $150 is a Nintendo Wii plus 1 game. :)

I think thats more valuable than getting into a Beta even if you get the game afterwards.

It is indeed a totally unreasonable amount. $150 should at the very least though get you a copy of the game is what I was trying to say, and if it's a subscription game as I imagine it might be then maybe like a year's access post-launch.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

It's not a scam in the least bit. All of the Early Access and Beta stuff I've seen clearly says that the game isn't finished yet and is going to have significant issues. If you take and interpret it as the game is completely done and in perfect working order well you're an idiot. You aren't getting scammed, you're just a fool with some mental disorder where you brain converts everything into the opposite of what it should. These things clearly say what they are and give the consumer to buy or not buy depending on what they think it's worth.

Gamers too often forget that you don't have to buy something if it sounds like it's a crappy deal or sucks. Nobody is forcing your hand.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By uninspiredcup
@Senor_Kami said:

It's not a scam in the least bit. All of the Early Access and Beta stuff I've seen clearly says that the game isn't finished yet and is going to have significant issues. If you take and interpret it as the game is completely done and in perfect working order well you're an idiot.

My friend, as an older pc gamer, as mentioned, I spent many years helping developers develop games without dropping a cent. Many of us older pc gamers did. This is because (and this may be rather shocking to the newer pc gamers) you are helping them, to develop and sell a game.

In case you fellows missed that, to re-illiterate, you are helping them. You, are giving them, a service.

So, when this has been turned into a marketing gimmick, to give the impression of an early demo or somehow, you helping them is a privilege using the argument of "oh oh ohhhhhh ahhhhhh, eeee ahhhh oh, but they say it's not finished" "ohhhh ehhh ehhh ehh it's optional!!!!111!!" is what is commonly called "bullshit". It's (again shocking for new pc gamers) the principle.

Like someone selling blessed holy water, is it optional? Yes. So fucking what? It's god dammed water with a different fucking label.

Tap water.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@steamistrash said:

yes

lol quake noob

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

A scam is something that is dishonest, early access games are honest about what they are. They're only a scam if you're dumb enough not to know what you're getting yourself in for.

You don't buy an early access game expecting perfection or a full game.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

At least with Star Citizen, Cloud Imperium is being transparent with the development of the game. And give many early access options (from $30 to hundreds).

Early access is a choice. Want to be a game tester and play an unfinished product? Go ahead. Want to wait for the final product but pay more for it? That's your choice.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

It is, but on the other hand nobody force you to buy them.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

How is it a scam?

...this

You may not like the practice or find it excessively greedy, but it's not a scam in any fashion.

Is paying $2 million for a car or paying $550 for a round of golf at Pebble Beach a scam?

AJCyberpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AJCyberpunk
Member since 2014 • 29 Posts

I recently purchased The Forest to get into the first version of Alpha. I like the concept and knew it would be full of bugs. You currently cant even save in the game. But it was clearly laid out what stage the game was in before i bought it so i have no problem with it and look forward to helping it improve.

Id only say its a scam if the state of the game is not clearly/honestly stated before you purchase.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

I almost always stay away from alpha/beta play anyhow. I certainly wouldn't pay for access, but I don't consider it a scam. If people will pay for it, good for the devs.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

It's not a scam I do find that this trend is going to quickly turn on developers considering a great deal of them release their "Alpha versions" and just let consumers sit with little to no word on development or updates.

The best ones to do the early release model are they ones who are knuckled down to quick updates and constant community feedback, it makes you feel as if your investment is helping the development process, instead of just funding the next yatch outing for the developers to ignore the game for a few more months to maybe release a tidbit of news once every 4 months to slake interest.

As much as I want the game to be good, Dead State had a bad habbit of this and it was a kickstarter game. The updates come painfully slow and the developers are on their forums complaining about how hard it is to make the game rather than update the community, they are shy about releasing any details beyond that "Were working on it" and it goes months sometimes without hearing a word from the people.

The thing is they don't have to do it, far from it they don't need to speak to the players at all. But the consumers eventually will throw their hands up in the air and say screw it! Sure they may be out their "Beta cash" but people love to hate, and make sure that everyone knows that they hate something. Kickstarters would run to the highest hill and scream at how much they hate this developer for slacking off and consumers would more than likely listen considering how on the fence people are about kickstarter or early access projects.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

How is it a scam?

This.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

It might be; it might not be. It's not a universal yes or no.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

How is it a scam?

People don't know how to read though, so they buy games not knowing what they're paying for, and you're supposed to feel sorry for them.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#41  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Maybe.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

There's certainly potential for Early Access or, more possible, Kickstarter games to be a scam. Though what's more likely if anything that's crowd funded fails it will inevitably be called a scam.

Personally I've crowd funded one game (with a bit of luck I'll be playing an pre-alpha build sometime this week) and taken early access on two, both of which I'd be buying on release anyway. So I thought may as well help out with development costs and the price was the same as it will be on release. I haven't actually played either past the first 30 minutes, to mess about with character types.

Other than those I'm not a massive fan of the practice and it seems every indie dev with half an idea is jumping on the band wagon.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Personally, I only buy the final product on release date. Heck. I rarely even do preorders. The last game I preordered was Doom. I paid for one game a year in advance and got 3 boxed copies (of the final game) in the mail from id. I opened one, sold one for full prize, and stored away the last box unopened.

As for a/b early access....... So long as it's optional, I don't have a problem with it. I simply wait for the final release.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

More like a marketing 'strategy'.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@jimmy_russell said:

When I was a kid, a publisher never released a game that wasn't ready or wasn't fun, because it would have harmed their brand. Today, there are no need for publishers because the cost and the barrier for entry to produce an independent game has dropped dramatically, despite what the noobie developers might suggest.

Can't tell if sarcasm, or if you were never a kid? Honestly, when did you grow u p?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@Jynxzor said:

It's not a scam I do find that this trend is going to quickly turn on developers considering a great deal of them release their "Alpha versions" and just let consumers sit with little to no word on development or updates.

The best ones to do the early release model are they ones who are knuckled down to quick updates and constant community feedback, it makes you feel as if your investment is helping the development process, instead of just funding the next yatch outing for the developers to ignore the game for a few more months to maybe release a tidbit of news once every 4 months to slake interest.

As much as I want the game to be good, Dead State had a bad habbit of this and it was a kickstarter game. The updates come painfully slow and the developers are on their forums complaining about how hard it is to make the game rather than update the community, they are shy about releasing any details beyond that "Were working on it" and it goes months sometimes without hearing a word from the people.

The thing is they don't have to do it, far from it they don't need to speak to the players at all. But the consumers eventually will throw their hands up in the air and say screw it! Sure they may be out their "Beta cash" but people love to hate, and make sure that everyone knows that they hate something. Kickstarters would run to the highest hill and scream at how much they hate this developer for slacking off and consumers would more than likely listen considering how on the fence people are about kickstarter or early access projects.

aren't they abit more active now that they're on steam? Regardless of that they're taking a very long time on this game and i get the feeling they took a very long break in developing before they made the move to early access.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#47  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Five Elements of Fraud

1. A false statement of a material fact; and
  2. Knowledge on the part of the defendant that the statement is untrue; and
  3. Intent on the part of the defendant to deceive the alleged victim; and
  4. Reasonable reliance by the alleged victim on the statement; and
  5. Injury to the alleged victim as a result.

Whether the promotion for any game, early-access or otherwise, is fraudulent can be different on a case-by-case basis. It's notable that all 5 elements must be met at some point in order for a game to be considered as a scam, but Steam would usually offer refund and/or take down games (usually after devs ignore notices/requests to correct) even if the misinformation is stated by mistake without knowledge or intention.

I don't know how buggy "Elite: Dangerous" is in the beta, so I can't comment on whether there is any false statement or deception. However, all Early-Access titles on Steam would receive a giant banner warning the users that the game is not finished, will be buggy, or even non-functional. There is clearly no false statement, and certainly no intention to deceive (quite to the contrary). Now, if a buyer does not read the warning and simply click through everything, then it cannot be said that the buyer was reliant on any misstatement, or that the buyer's injury (financial loss) was the result of any misstatement. In such a case the buyer would simply be regarded as an idiot, and the world is not going to revolve itself around his idiocy.

Finally, some of these elements are objective, rather than subjective. For instance, although there has to be actual subjective reliance by the alleged victim, that reliance has to be objectively reasonable. For example, even if you subjectively believe that terms such as "early access", "beta", "buggy, may be non-functional" indicate "a functional game that's quite enjoyable", such an expectation would not be shared by a reasonable member of the general public. Further, it's also notable that "material fact" has to be about a "fact". Most video game advertising slogans and promotions contain a lot of opinions, and indeed it would be your fault if you take opinions as facts. Comparison: falsely stating that "voted 'most enjoyable game' in BlahBlah Magazine 2012 poll" would be a false fact, while stating that "'Most enjoyable game we have ever made' - Developer" may just be a opinion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By uninspiredcup

@GhoX said:

Five Elements of Fraud

So it is objectively a scam. Case closed.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#49  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@GhoX said:

Five Elements of Fraud

So it is objectively a scam. Case closed.

There is no such thing as "objectively a scam". A fraud contains both subjective and objective elements. You can't just ignore some elements and pin the rest.

krisroe_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 krisroe_213
Member since 2003 • 898 Posts

Not really but I think it's just as bad as paying for DLC. Both are cancerous