Is it wise to invest in a PS 4 over Xbox One atm ?

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Seems Xbox One exclusive games are being ported over to PC (steam) as Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome atm. Don't think PS 4 exclusives as Killzone Shadow Fall or Infamous Second Son gonna go multiplatform.

Will it be wise to invest in a PS 4 over Xbox one currently? What you say warriors? :)

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Get a PC. Much better Gaming Device to Invest in.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 indzman

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Very costly for me if i go for a high end system, if i go mid range i'm afraid i may've to upgrade all over again after three years :( Consoles i can enjoy for minimum 7 years without any fear of upgrades. I can't afford a High end PC :)

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#4 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@indzman said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Very costly for me if i go for a high end system, if i go mid range i'm afraid i may've to upgrade all over again after three years :( Consoles i can enjoy for minimum 7 years without any fear of upgrades. I can't afford a High end PC :)

The PC can be used for more than just gaming. But, if its consoles you are looking for, i'd say it all depends on personal preference.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 indzman

@bldgirsh said:

@indzman said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

The PC can be used for more than just gaming. But, if its consoles you are looking for, i'd say it all depends on personal preference.

I've a low end PC for old school gaming, i play mostly on consoles:)

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@indzman said:

@bldgirsh said:

@indzman said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

I've a low end PC for old school gaming, i play mostly on consoles:)

Must mean you have some friends who play on a console to. Whichever console your friends game on should be the one you get as well.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

No real need to invest in either at the moment.

I only got my PS4 because I know it'll kick ass in the long run.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

There is no single answer. Could be different depending on your taste in games (look at the first party each company has to get a good idea). If you play a lot online, maybe if you have a bunch of friends who all got one console or another, that is the big deciding factor.

Do you even have to get either console right now? Sure plenty of people would say that's no. If TLOU were only on ps4, imo that would be the first BIG exclusive to buy one of these systems for. You CAN buy it for ps3 though, so that kinda diminishes the value quite a bit. Now, if you never had a ps3 and decide to switch to ps4, you definitely should by it

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

well man if there isn't anything you're interested in on the double-hdmi-royalty-fee-generating xbox one, then yeah sure go for the ps4.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LegatoSkyheart

@indzman said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

PS4 - $399.99. Bundled with game - $449.99

Xbox One - Kinect $499.99. No Kinect $399.99. Bundled with Game - $399.99 or $499.99 (huh go figure.)

There's a set budget. $400 - $500. Give or take you want at least 2 or 3 games for the system or maybe another Controller so let's say you're gonna spend $550 to $600 for the Systems by the time you buy them.

Here's a PC that would Run you up to $425.29 but with Mail in Rebates would nab you $376.27.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2WbrVn

Here's another if you want to spend a bit "More" but within budget. $514.39 without rebate $434.39 with rebate.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WD3BZL

With that extra money you can spend it on a Nice Keyboard and Mouse. I use this one. Great for the Price. ($29.99 with free shipping)

How about a Monitor? Here's a $99.99 (free shipping) 19' 1440 x 900 monitor.

OS? here's Windows 7 64bit. $93.79

Add all that together you get...$649.06 for the first build without Mail in Rebates or $600.04 with Mail in Rebates.

or $738.16 on the 2nd build without mail in rebate or $658.16 with Mail in Rebates.

That's also assuming you want a Monitor and you don't have a Mouse and Keyboard or an OS key to work with, otherwise You can get a PC for about the same price as a Next Generation console if not cheaper. Heck you can skip the Monitor if you want since most Video cards these days have HDMI output you can just plug them in to your TV now.

Of course if you're still afraid of PC gaming then by all means get a PS4. In console terms that system seems to be getting the better support and it'll at least get some decent exclusive, at least more than Xbox One it seems.

El_Garbanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 El_Garbanzo
Member since 2012 • 296 Posts

Yes. Why would anyone get the xPos one if ps4 is available

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 indzman

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@indzman said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

PS4 - $399.99. Bundled with game - $449.99

Xbox One - Kinect $499.99. No Kinect $399.99. Bundled with Game - $399.99 or $499.99 (huh go figure.)

There's a set budget. $400 - $500. Give or take you want at least 2 or 3 games for the system or maybe another Controller so let's say you're gonna spend $550 to $600 for the Systems by the time you buy them.

Here's a PC that would Run you up to $425.29 but with Mail in Rebates would nab you $376.27.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2WbrVn

Here's another if you want to spend a bit "More" but within budget. $514.39 without rebate $434.39 with rebate.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WD3BZL

With that extra money you can spend it on a Nice Keyboard and Mouse. I use this one. Great for the Price. ($29.99 with free shipping)

How about a Monitor? Here's a $99.99 (free shipping) 19' 1440 x 900 monitor.

OS? here's Windows 7 64bit. $93.79

Add all that together you get...$649.06 for the first build without Mail in Rebates or $600.04 with Mail in Rebates.

or $738.16 on the 2nd build without mail in rebate or $658.16 with Mail in Rebates.

That's also assuming you want a Monitor and you don't have a Mouse and Keyboard or an OS key to work with, otherwise You can get a PC for about the same price as a Next Generation console if not cheaper. Heck you can skip the Monitor if you want since most Video cards these days have HDMI output you can just plug them in to your TV now.

Of course if you're still afraid of PC gaming then by all means get a PS4. In console terms that system seems to be getting the better support and it'll at least get some decent exclusive, at least more than Xbox One it seems.

Hmmm the mentioned CPU and GPU good? i mean can i play games at high settings on that GPU,CPU for next 5 years? Dosen't games nowadays requires minimum 6 gb of ram?

Still, thanks a lot for taking your time and chalking out a chart for me. I'll definately give it a thought (PS 4 or PC) when i upgrade, PC definately superior and better system ,vast library of games to play from,steam deals :)

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

@indzman said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

A misconception sir. In my limited experience, so I'm not making this out to be a statement. But I think it's probably most important to get a really good motherboard (better future proofing) and a decent CPU first (like an i5 for example). Those things it may be unlikely that you need to worry about them again. I have a good motherboard and an i5 that I need for work and I'm really happy with them. My last computer that I had for 6 years had a decent Core 2 Duo and I never felt the need to upgrade that. Then stuff like ram you can add when you need it and you can take your time a get a good mid-card range graphics card. Imo a good partner version of a card will last you a long time.

That said, I don't want to tell you to get a gaming capable PC because that isn't what you asked. Although I will at least say it's A LOT better than I thought it was, and may open your eyes to a few things about consoles.

Should you get a PS4 over an X1 now... No. Should you get an X1 over the PS4 now, no. This isn't a good time to buy either. I really would recommend waiting until the end of the year or the beginning of next year.

The wisest thing to do right now is be patient.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By indzman

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@indzman said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

A misconception sir. In my limited experience, so I'm not making this out to be a statement. But I think it's probably most important to get a really good motherboard (better future proofing) and a decent CPU first (like an i5 for example). Those things it may be unlikely that you need to worry about them again. I have a good motherboard and an i5 that I need for work and I'm really happy with them. My last computer that I had for 6 years had a decent Core 2 Duo and I never felt the need to upgrade that. Then stuff like ram you can add when you need it and you can take your time a get a good mid-card range graphics card. Imo a good partner version of a card will last you a long time.

That said, I don't want to tell you to get a gaming capable PC because that isn't what you asked. Although I will at least say it's A LOT better than I thought it was, and may open your eyes to a few things about consoles.

Should you get a PS4 over an X1 now... No. Should you get an X1 over the PS4 now, no. This isn't a good time to buy either. I really would recommend waiting until the end of the year or the beginning of next year.

Ahhh. A good mobo and CPU before anything else on PC upgrading, got it. Thanks:)

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts
@indzman said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@indzman said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Ahhh. A good mobo and CPU before anything else on PC upgrading, got it. Thanks:)

That is just my opinion though. No one wants to have to think about upgrading the motherboard, and the latest ones will have access to features you might find you want in the future.

I will also say this, in my experience, cutting corners is a bad idea when building a PC, that's when your going to have to keep upgrading. Good mid range parts will last I think.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts
@indzman said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@indzman said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

I would also advise against the 2 builds recommended above in legato's post.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LegatoSkyheart

@indzman said:

Hmmm the mentioned CPU and GPU good? i mean can i play games at high settings on that GPU,CPU for next 5 years? Dosen't games nowadays requires minimum 6 gb of ram?

Still, thanks a lot for taking your time and chalking out a chart for me. I'll definately give it a thought (PS 4 or PC) when i upgrade, PC definately superior and better system ,vast library of games to play from,steam deals :)

Ah it's all cool. PC gaming all depends on your Budget. You CAN go long on your builds, my computer can handle a lot of games at Ultra settings and such still and some of my parts are about 3 years old. :p

topgunmv LOL yeah I don't think they're very reliable either, those links I have are from a Reddit post from about a Year ago and it's only meant for ammo showing off that YOU CAN build a PC for less or on par of a PS4 or Xbox One. But don't listen to me, I don't actually know what's great or not. MSI or Gygabyte? AMD or Nvidia? Usually I just go on Newegg and look for 4 star and 5 star reviews and read them and make a build through that then I go here and ask if it's good or not. Then I get told it's terrible and I go back to the chalk board. Sigh technology.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

Serious question...if you can't play the games on your PC and your considering a console why does it matter games getting ported ?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I use my PCs for exclusives since I avoid DRM and I'm a game collector that prefers the option to Borrow/Lend/Trade/Sell/Collect/Gift my retain physical console games. I have a primary gaming rig and three various PCs I LAN, but due to DRM, these machines are primarily for exclusives like Starcraft II.

It's always rough that first year with a new console, so check out the current game libraries, the upcoming libraries, and may the best console win. The PS4 has more games than the Xbone, it's true. PS+ has delivered more free PS+ games than GwG free offerings. Still, each platform has their differences and it would be wise to see what games grab your fancy.

I own both personally, but as of late I've been mostly playing backlog PC and PS3 games.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#20 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart: I just bought a PS4 to play baseball games, which just so happens that Sony are the only ones who make them.

That and a PS4 plus TLoS and MLB 14 was too good to pass up for 470 bucks.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#21 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6099 Posts

Right now I have a Xbox One and I'm happy with it.I have no need two swich to a Playstation 4 or PC.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#22  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

I think it's best to wait. Hold off on buying either until next year, unless you want to play Destiny at launch with your friends. Then, grab whatever consoles they are playing Destiny on. Other than that, neither console has much going for it until 2015. My 2 cents.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

No real need to invest in either at the moment.

I only got my PS4 because I know it'll kick ass in the long run.

the xbox one will kick ass 2

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

It is never wiser to invest in an X1. Not now, not next year or the year after. Its not worth buying a ps4 right now tho. Build/upgrade your pc instead.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

The PS4 shouldn't even be a consideration until late 2015. Make your call then.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Get a PC. Both consoles are underwhelming at this point or stick to your 360/PS3 for now.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178855 Posts

What you said is true. The PS4 exclusives won't be on PC while X1 does have some exclusives hitting PC. So if that is your concern your answer is clear.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

If you are dead set on getting one of those two, then yes.

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

Dude don't listen too all these plebs who just suggest one system - you need a trio. pc+sony+Nintendo consoles are the holey trinity of gaming.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

It is still way too early to answer that. I would personally go with whatever your friends have, especially if money is a major concern. If all your friends have a PS4, for example, you would also want a PS4 to borrow and lend games.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

I would wait until the end of 2015, Killzone and Infamous really aren't worth spending the money on a new console, and all the other multiplatform games are coming out for PS3/360 as well.

Next year specifically towards the end after E3 will be when we start seeing PS4/XBone specific multiplats, taking full advantage of them. Also there will be more exclusives by then too, making it more worthwhile. Currently I have an Xbone and really other than Dead Rising 3 I could get pretty much the same experience with all the other games on PS3/360. PS4 is in the same position as Xbone, 360 multiplats with slightly higher res textures and better frame rate doesn't alter much, especially when Unreal 4 and Fox Engine will be fully flexing their capabilities next year. I haven't been blown away by a single game graphically on either PS4 or Xbone that has currently been released. Ryse is probably the closest but it is as linear as Beyond and not that far ahead in terms of character models.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Forget the current state of things, just look at how PS4 is closing in on 15 million units sold its first year. The industry is going to put games on the PS4 and that's the end of that conversation. Unlike last-gen, there's no other console even coming close to selling as much as the Playstation. Developers are going to use it as their performance target for third party games and it will get exclusives as time passes. Like Bloodborne.

Just look at the Tomb Raider announcement. MS can't even secure a real exclusive from third parties anymore. After Titanfall failed to raise a ruckus for the XBox One, developers are not putting their eggs in that basket. Ryse almost bankrupted Crytek (or did bankrupt Crytek, that ball is still in motion). If you are a developer or a publisher, betting on XBox is a bad gamble. The whole industry knows it.

TheGamingGuy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheGamingGuy1
Member since 2014 • 30 Posts

@indzman: Go for the Ps4, then eventually get the Xbox. Xbox has a few issues that are mind numbingly annoying, for instance you cant use it with a pc monitor unless you have 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. Moving through interface is nice looking but very clunky and the new joypad analogue sticks feel wierd (bit knobily) but it works great. It has its good points, not all hate, games are a bit lacking also. I havent got a PS4 but i have used my friends one and its more streamlined. Xbox will catch up (not overtake mind you). At the moment go for the PS4 or get a decent PC, PC games are exploding at the moment.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

Depends on what you like to play.

They both have the same price tag and their 3rd party line-up is very much the same. I would go for the one with the exclusives you like. It's the only thing distinguishing the two from each other.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

of course. SONY and the PS4 will enjoy the better mulit plats and has barn bursting stable of world class exclusives.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

For consoles, I would wait a few years for a price cut and a backlog that you can plunder.

Right now is PC time, the parts are cheap and powerful, and the games fall from the sky like candy.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

Yes, study has shown you get more money back in future for selling playstation over xbox.

For example, if a used PS3 cost 150 dollar, used xbox only cost 100 dollar.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Not at the moment. Maybe in a few years.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

No, if you have expendable income then get yourself a Wiiu. Then, wait and see on Xone and PS4--if the true next gen exclusive games truly entice you. If those seem worth it get which one that YOU prefer, not the media. Now, if you see these games and think "eh, i was expecting more," well then in that case start looking into building yourself a pc.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yes. Very wise.

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By slim70
Member since 2005 • 768 Posts

@SolidTy said:

I use my PCs for exclusives since I avoid DRM and I'm a game collector that prefers the option to Borrow/Lend/Trade/Sell/Collect/Gift my retain physical console games. I have a primary gaming rig and three various PCs I LAN, but due to DRM, these machines are primarily for exclusives like Starcraft II.

It's always rough that first year with a new console, so check out the current game libraries, the upcoming libraries, and may the best console win. The PS4 has more games than the Xbone, it's true. PS+ has delivered more free PS+ games than GwG free offerings. Still, each platform has their differences and it would be wise to see what games grab your fancy.

I own both personally, but as of late I've been mostly playing backlog PC and PS3 games.

Yes the PS4 has more games than the X1 but to be fair and not to mislead people they are a mix of indie, multi-plat, timed exclusives and F2P multi-plats. I thought that the reason why people buy these consoles in the first place was because of big budget exclusives not indies or games that can be played elsewhere.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

get a PS4 and enjoy your 7 years of Greatness and Awesomeness. PC is great too

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

If you want to spend $400 PS4 is the way to go. If you get a PC you won't be able to sell or trade games with friends. You'll feel shitty playing a late port of Ryse when everyone else is playing the Order and Bloodborn

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Neither are investments. They don't return any money in the end

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@indzman said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Don't listen to these PC guys. There's things good about gaming on a console.

I game on a PS4. I recommend it highly.

cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts

@indzman:

So you say you don't want to go with a PC because of the cost of a high end system or the cost of upgrading ( which is fine as these days I prefer console gaming as well ) but you use the fact that the x1 loses it's exclusives to PC as a reason to not own the x1. If you aren't interested in building a gaming rig what does it matter that the x1 shares it's games on PC?

If you want to play those games you would buy an x1.

I think this thread was started to simply start a fanboy reaction but if it's genuine just pick the system you think has better games.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

If money is tight don't get either one at this point

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

I would absolutely hold off on buying an Xbox One. It's clearly about to have a giant price drop or a very good bundle.

People aren't willing to pay the same price for a significantly weaker console, and prices will soon reflect that.