Is it just me, or...

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

does anyone else have a problem with everything becoming digital? I see many gamers happily switching to Steam, and many gamers happily looking towards the future filled with digitial distribution-only games. I see the benefits, but what happened to the fun of great box art, and owning physical copies? I don't like owning digital copies of games because it feels like I don't "own" them, to me it feels like they're just rentals or something. When I own a physical copy I feel like it's a real piece of work, a very nicely made piece of art, a nicely packaged experience. I love smelling the plastic seal, admiring the box art, then unwrapping it and looking at the beautiful manual. Then looking at the art on the disk. I don't like just starting a game from my system, I like to have a collection of games, then open up the fully packaged box, and place the disk in the console/computer to play. This is all gone with digital distribution. Does anyone else feel this way? Because from the Steam fans, and the gamers or analysts talking about the future, I feel I'm part of a very small minority.

TailBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TailBlood
Member since 2011 • 944 Posts

I have no problem. As long as internet speeds continue to rise, I believe this will be more beneficial towards publishers and developers. If we can have great deals like on steam, then there is no use for the used game market. Publishers win. Developers win. We win. Gaming wins!

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Boxes and manuals are a waste of material and space.
TailBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TailBlood

Boxes and manuals are a waste of material and space. IronBass
And money...

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

It sounds like a fear of change, you will just need to adjust. I very much feel like my steam list is mine, it has close to $1000 in games on it, most of which I've actually played. I feel I own it more than physical copies since I can access them from any computer at any time. Don't need to sift through 50 boxes to get to a game I want, it is just on a list and I click it. No need to insert a disk while playing or any of that nonsense. It is a lot more convenient to play everything digitally. The only real problem could be if you live in a country with low bandwidth, the rest is something you will need to adjust to.

Yes, and like the comments before me said, there is a huge overhead cost with shipping a product, producing the box, making the manual, potentially translating the manual and printing that version too, a lot of wasted plastic from cases will eventually be thrown out or take up far too much room. It is far more likely small projects and teams can get a game released when they can release a digital copy. This gen has had far more indie games because of it. There are no real negatives other than nostalgia.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#6 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
some people, like me, like them. there is nothing like taking up your new game box and unwrap the cover
Avatar image for mynamesdenvrmax
mynamesdenvrmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 mynamesdenvrmax
Member since 2004 • 2228 Posts

I've always hoped we could have a solution like this:

You buy a game in a store, physical copy with a box, everything as it is now. In the box in a disc, but also a code just like MS' 25 character codes. You can put the disc in, enter the code and copy the game to your hard drive. Put the disc away and you dont need it for the game. To combat piracy, the code would be tied to your gamertag and only be able to be used by that gamer while that code is active on the console. You could go to a friends house, leave the disc but sign into your account and download the game from the servers, play it all you want while your GT is there. Sign out and leave and the game is useless. If you want to sell, give or trade in your game you can release the code from your account and let someone else use it. It would please retailers, consumers and even keep Gamestop happy. No one loses their business and everyone gets the perk of the digital age.

RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

Obviously not just you, I do like digital though. I do have to admit that I don't play as many digital games though. If I own the hard copy, I always seem to find a way to play it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-63f6895020e66
And money...TailBlood
Yeah. That's why manuals have got progressively worse, and some publishers don't even include them anymore.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

[QUOTE="IronBass"]Boxes and manuals are a waste of material and space. TailBlood

And money...

This is true. If companies didn't have to worry about paying for disc, box, and maunal production and distributing the product out to retailers, it would cost them a lot less and they wouldn't have to charge as much. They would of course, but they wouldn't have to.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

You buy a game in a store, physical copy with a box, everything as it is now. In the box in a disc, but also a code just like MS' 25 character codes. You can put the disc in, enter the code and copy the game to your hard drive. Put the disc away and you dont need it for the game. To combat piracy, the code would be tied to your gamertag and only be able to be used by that gamer while that code is active on the console. You could go to a friends house, leave the disc but sign into your account and download the game from the servers, play it all you want while your GT is there. Sign out and leave and the game is useless. If you want to sell, give or trade in your game you can release the code from your account and let someone else use it. It would please retailers, consumers and even keep Gamestop happy. No one loses their business and everyone gets the perk of the digital age.

mynamesdenvrmax

I support this solution, it's the best of both worlds :)

It's not really fear of change, I just love the box, plastic, and manual, it just works for me. It feels like a complete package.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="TailBlood"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"]Boxes and manuals are a waste of material and space. Phoenix534

And money...

This is true. If companies didn't have to worry about paying for disc, box, and maunal production and distributing the product out to retailers, it would cost them a lot less and they wouldn't have to charge as much. They would of course, but they wouldn't have to.

So why not just make digital distribution cheaper, while retail is slightly more expensive?

TailBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TailBlood

mynamesdenvrmax

That would not make sense for the publishers, since after all the whole point is for them to cut cost.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 110million
I just love the box, plastic, and manual, it just works for me. XVision84
I just love games, and not the box I look at for 2 seconds when I take out the game, and 2 more seconds when I'm putting it away.
TailBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TailBlood

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="TailBlood"]And money...

XVision84

So why not just make digital distribution cheaper, while retail is slightly more expensive?

Cause publishers want more money? It's common sense. We tend to be a bit selfish, but in order for them to make the upmost ammount of money it wouldn't make sense cutting the game from $60.00 retail to $30.00 digital. Perhaps $50.00 digital would make sense for them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-63f6895020e66

some people, like me, like them. there is nothing like taking up your new game box and unwrap the coverlightleggy
You don't need to tell me that some people like them, the TC already made that fact clear.

You buy a game in a store, physical copy with a box, everything as it is now. In the box in a disc, but also a code just like MS' 25 character codes. You can put the disc in, enter the code and copy the game to your hard drive. Put the disc away and you dont need it for the game. To combat piracy, the code would be tied to your gamertag and only be able to be used by that gamer while that code is active on the console. You could go to a friends house, leave the disc but sign into your account and download the game from the servers, play it all you want while your GT is there. Sign out and leave and the game is useless. If you want to sell, give or trade in your game you can release the code from your account and let someone else use it. It would please retailers, consumers and even keep Gamestop happy. No one loses their business and everyone gets the perk of the digital age.mynamesdenvrmax

That doesn't sound that unlikely. It's not too different from what MS introduced with the optional installations for all 360 games.

TailBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TailBlood

I also would like to add that they would eventually still need to pay gamestop in order to sell their games. Hence an extra % off their profits.

Smart thing is:

• Go digital at $50.00
  • Not ship anything to retailers.

Even if they might sacrifice a couple of costumers who don't have internet (seriously?). It would be ultimetly worth it. Plus the fact that those costumers will be forced to get an internet service.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

mynamesdenvrmax

I agree. Blizzard does this already, and EA is moving towards a similar system with Origin.

The only problem is that DD solutions let games stay at higher prices longer because there's no used market to compete with.

Avatar image for mynamesdenvrmax
mynamesdenvrmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 mynamesdenvrmax
Member since 2004 • 2228 Posts

[QUOTE="mynamesdenvrmax"]

TailBlood

That would not make sense for the publishers, since after all the whole point is for them to cut cost.

I suppose thats true, but if they cut off the big retailers from selling their products they are less likely to sell consoles. They dont make money on consoles for the most part, if they do its a small amount. So we either pay the extra for the games there or they'll jack up the price on consoles to make their money. I should have added that the option to buy online only should be there, but if you want a physical copy and the digital you could still get both in one box.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

TailBlood

Cause publishers want more money? It's common sense. We tend to be a bit selfish, but in order for them to make the upmost ammount of money it wouldn't make sense cutting the game from $60.00 retail to $30.00 digital. Perhaps $50.00 digital would make sense for them.

Well publisher's could make more money from digital. If they made digital, like you said, just $10 cheaper (which would make it the go-to option for people who don't mind digital copies) then they'd make a lot of profit.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

does anyone else have a problem with everything becoming digital? I see many gamers happily switching to Steam, and many gamers happily looking towards the future filled with digitial distribution-only games. I see the benefits, but what happened to the fun of great box art, and owning physical copies? I don't like owning digital copies of games because it feels like I don't "own" them, to me it feels like they're just rentals or something. When I own a physical copy I feel like it's a real piece of work, a very nicely made piece of art, a nicely packaged experience. I love smelling the plastic seal, admiring the box art, then unwrapping it and looking at the beautiful manual. Then looking at the art on the disk. I don't like just starting a game from my system, I like to have a collection of games, then open up the fully packaged box, and place the disk in the console/computer to play. This is all gone with digital distribution. Does anyone else feel this way? Because from the Steam fans, and the gamers or analysts talking about the future, I feel I'm part of a very small minority.

XVision84

I will always prefer a hard copy of my games, but I do have plenty that I have bought through download as well. When I get my PS Vita, I will probably try to get every game through retail instead of download. I will only buy downloadable games if they don't have a retail version.

TailBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TailBlood

[QUOTE="TailBlood"]

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

XVision84

Well publisher's could make more money from digital. If they made digital, like you said, just $10 cheaper (which would make it the go-to option for people who don't mind digital copies) then they'd make a lot of profit.

And that's the whole point. In theory it benifits us to the highest extent. We would get better quality of content, and eventually games. Also if there are multiple DD services, then we will see competition. Possibly games dropping from $50.00 to $25.00 easily.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
With so many people this planet, it's safe to say it's not just you. ps. I like physical copy myself.
TailBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TailBlood

[QUOTE="TailBlood"]

[QUOTE="mynamesdenvrmax"]

mynamesdenvrmax

I suppose thats true, but if they cut off the big retailers from selling their products they are less likely to sell consoles. They dont make money on consoles for the most part, if they do its a small amount. So we either pay the extra for the games there or they'll jack up the price on consoles to make their money. I should have added that the option to buy online only should be there, but if you want a physical copy and the digital you could still get both in one box.

That could be another method. Perhaps for 10 dollars more you can have the publisher ship you a copy of the game with boxart and all. However I don't see it working on consoles, since the biggest thing would be for consoles to go digital. Hence no need for a drive.

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts

I prefer digital because I'm horrendous at keeping track of things. All those game discs are just too easy to lose track of lol.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

I don't like digital distribution either. I'd rather like to have a collection of physical copies. But I can't help it, most of the PC games I play have been downloaded through Steam because they're not available in stores.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

i LOVE boxes and manuals, but i can see why they are not the highest priority.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

For my PC.. I can do with or without the disc.

For my consoles.. I want the box, disc, and manual.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

If its mini-games or what not, I don't mind too much.

If I'm dropping full price for a gave or movie, I want the physical copy in my hand. So I can play it till the disc itself disintegrates.

bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts

i like having a physical copy because i dont have to worry about not having internet connection

but if it werent for my stupid bandwidth limit, i would have no problem with digital copies. As long as there is fast connection, installation from disk or physical copies are basically the same.

Also, auto patching would be awesome and i dont have to worry about my disks not working (i dont take very good care of disks :P)

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

XVision84
I totally agree with you. I hate DD.
gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
Agreed, but I only get 20GB of net a month so DD is not really an option :/
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#34 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
Agreed, but I only get 20GB of net a month so DD is not really an option :/gamebreakerz__
Damn,you really have to upgrade your net mate.
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

[QUOTE="XVision84"]I just love the box, plastic, and manual, it just works for me. 110million
I just love games, and not the box I look at for 2 seconds when I take out the game, and 2 more seconds when I'm putting it away.

I also love the fact that many of the games I continually go up in price. In the event that I decide I want to get rid of the games, I can make more money back then I spent on it :)

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I see what you're saying, but when i can get games like GTA4 on sale for £5 on steam i don't mind not having a box.

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

yeah but it's a sad fact that DD is the future. I'm just worried about losing my games if the DD service shuts down in the future.

Another-World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Another-World
Member since 2011 • 784 Posts

Yeah I agree with you to an extent, I love owning the hard copies, the feel of the case and looking at the manuals and box art and the cd cases stacked in a row gives a sense of ownership, which I like.

However, the convenience of DD and the cheaper prices outweigh this advantage of buying a hard copy for me...there could be a hybrid solution, but I don't agree with the one propunded by one guy here, as it still has the inconvenience of going and buying the game for yourself.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
I prefer digital distribution, at this point it's getting impractical for me to keep expanding my physical collections.
OrangeTabbyCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 OrangeTabbyCat
Member since 2010 • 94 Posts

XVision84
It really does not matter if you like them or not . Physical copies will die off eventually. This leaves you with two choices: - Adapt and enjoy. - Do not adapt and suffer. Choice is yours.
edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

I see the benefits, but what happened to the fun of great box art, and owning physical copies?

XVision84

What was fun about that? The fun is in the game.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
if anything we are doing good to the enviroment by saving it by tons of plastic and by cutting less tries
EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts

On consoles I still like having the disc, manual and case. Only because of splitscreen mulitplayer. It's easier to carry over a case and disc, then downloading a game and waiting hours.

On PC though, I much prefer downloads. Always hated boxed copies of PC games.

conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 conkertheking1
Member since 2009 • 876 Posts

i feel the same way. you are not alone.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts
[QUOTE="IronBass"]Boxes and manuals are a waste of material and space. lightleggy
some people, like me, like them. there is nothing like taking up your new game box and unwrap the cover

I'm kind of the same way. I personally like having a physical copy of the game.
-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

I honestly find it hard to value or appreciate digital content.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 110million

[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="XVision84"]I just love the box, plastic, and manual, it just works for me. Some-Mist

I also love the fact that many of the games I continually go up in price. In the event that I decide I want to get rid of the games, I can make more money back then I spent on it :)

Steam has a few major sales per year plus daily, mid-week, weekend deals, it is possible to save hundreds of dollars by waiting for these deals, so price is not really an issue. You can't sell PC games anyways, so trade back isn't much of an issue. Console wise, I make sure to only buy games I want, and if I were to sell them, I know the second I sold it I would feel the need to play that game again. I don't buy bad games, so I have no need to get my money back.
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

[QUOTE="Some-Mist"]

[QUOTE="110million"] I just love games, and not the box I look at for 2 seconds when I take out the game, and 2 more seconds when I'm putting it away. 110million

Steam has a few major sales per year plus daily, mid-week, weekend deals, it is possible to save hundreds of dollars by waiting for these deals, so price is not really an issue. You can't sell PC games anyways, so trade back isn't much of an issue. Console wise, I make sure to only buy games I want, and if I were to sell them, I know the second I sold it I would feel the need to play that game again. I don't buy bad games, so I have no need to get my money back.

I don't plan on selling my games back either, but in the event that I decide that gaming isn't my thing any more I can sell the games back if I wanted. or if a situation arose where I needed quick cash I could always rely on my games like dodonpachi daioujou black label extra(360) which has gone up 40 dollars in the past 2 years. It's awesome to watch your games gain value as not only a gamer, but as a collector as well. I like having the options, whereas with a service such as steam your options are very limited.

many of the games I play aren't on steam either. as opposed to cloud based gaming services, I prefer actually owning my games (I take it you aren't a game collector?). In the event that I actually buy a game I don't like (there's only been one this gen) I can sell it back if I want to.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I can't complain at the moment because Im doing well with the steam sale and I get my games faster than if I had to wait for them to be delivered :D.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

NOPE...I like owning my media. Cloud is not ownership and never will be. Ive bought like 4 games from Steam since I started using it and I hate that I did.