Is Horizon Zero Dawn the most subtle feminist AAA first party title to date?

OldProf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 0

#51 OldProf
Member since 2003 • 1513 Posts

@aigis: I just want to point out that this thread started out by pointing out how nice and refreshing this game's character turned out to be WITHOUT throwing any shade at any majority group, but somehow, most people turned this into a "Feminist" thing when it clearly wasn't.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@Byshop said:

As long as female characters are more than just eye candy or trophies in a game, I'm happy. To most of the what's being said in here, just make good -characters-. It just becomes an issue when the only actual characters in games are more often than not guys only. I don't consider a strong female protagonist in a game a huge stride for feminism, I think of it as "hey, this should be just as normal to people as the strong male protagonists". Unfortunately it's not, so yeah, the industry can use more of this.

-Byshop

Well said, and I agree. More diversity in games is definitely welcome. A character being male or female wouldn't matter if there were enough female protagonists.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

I don't think I have ever looked at the character I was playing and ever thought about the gender of the character I was playing. Who really cares as long as the game is interesting and fun. To me having a diversified game in race and gender really makes no shit to what I think of the game or story.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#54  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@Xabiss: Well said. I think thats what makes this game so cool. Its for all to enjoy.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#55 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@OldProf: just calling it "refreshing" is making it a feminist issue tbh. That and being pissed off at nioh. I'm just in saying I don't care about the race or gender gender of gender of the character as long as they are well written.

Feminist is even in the title :P

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 iandizion713

@aigis: Calling it refreshing just means its different, goes against the grain, is something new, etc. Whats wrong with that?

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#57 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@iandizion713: nothing wrong with that

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#58  Edited By Wasdie
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

May I go on record saying I don't like topics about social politics on this board. Please keep it civil in here.

It's not that I want to agree or disagree with the article in question, it's just I've seen threads like this go to absolute hell fast. We don't need that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I just want good games. I don't care about all of the SJW crap and that review focuses too much on SJW stuff that I don't care about.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#60 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

@Wasdie said:

May I go on record saying I don't like topics about social politics on this board. Please keep it civil in here.

It's not that I want to agree or disagree with the article in question, it's just I've seen threads like this go to absolute hell fast. We don't need that.

It's sad how true this is, and it's stupid how taboo the word "feminism" has become on the internet.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

@Wasdie said:

It's a fairly simple process to go somewhere it came from.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

It really depends on your definition of feminist....most non-white feminist would see it as the continuing attitude of white women marginalizing minority voices, trans LBGT will say the the same ,sex positive feminist would say something about its a shame shes covered up as female sexuality when a women is in full control of her body is empowering, fourth wavers like anita would say she is a Ms Male who reinforces patriarchal toxic masculinity by glorifying violence.

Joking aside I sincerely hope this game shatters records though coz if it doesn't the blame will be squarely put on "its because a women was the lead" argument

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#63 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

@storm_of_swords said:

I just want good games. I don't care about all of the SJW crap and that review focuses too much on SJW stuff that I don't care about.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#64  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I don't really care that much. It doesn't look super forced. In fact it doesn't look like they used her gender to emphasize the power of women on real Earth? I guess that's a step forward for the AAA. I can't stand that kinda tripe on either end, unless it's done in a self aware comedic fashion. It has no place in a game imo. They're not made to represent reality. And I don't like games being overly preachy anyway, unless it's to present a new insight that you may have never thought of.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By iandizion713

@musalala said:

It really depends on your definition of feminist....most non-white feminist would see it as the continuing attitude of white women marginalizing minority voices, trans LBGT will say the the same ,sex positive feminist would say something about its a shame shes covered up as female sexuality when a women is in full control of her body is empowering, fourth wavers like anita would say she is a Ms Male who reinforces patriarchal toxic masculinity by glorifying violence.

Joking aside I sincerely hope this game shatters records though coz if it doesn't the blame will be squarely put on "its because a women was the lead" argument

Thats just how its is. Everyone likes and wants different things. There are a lot of things i disagree with in Nintendos choices and a lot of things i want changed. But i still respect what they want to do and enjoy it for what its worth. Diversity is a good thing. And people wanting other stuff should still continue to want those other things. But dont let that hold you back from looking at the glass half full.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

Feminist? dont start with that bullshit again.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

I dont look into a video game character for their SJW skills.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Dreads are easier to render than actual hair :D

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 iandizion713

@dxmcat: She doesnt actually have dreads it seems.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#70 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

I'll just leave this here

Loading Video...

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#71 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Games with overly sexualized characters are games I tend to avoid, unless they're just too good to pass up, in which case I'm not playing it to ogle at virtual ladies bits. DOA games for example, I skipped all of those. But Bayonetta, that one was too good to pass up.

The gender of the protagonist doesn't otherwise matter to me. It's a video game.

The fact that a character appeals to people who are concerned with feminism doesn't even register on my care-meter. If the game is fun, good for the devs. It it's preachy or overtly stuffed with SJW nonsense, I'll skip it.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Well whatever, I dont even have a PS4. Nice to see a Ginger female lead tho. Kappa.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

@commander said:

I'll just leave this here

Loading Video...

Ali Wong i f*cking Amazing!!!!!

dante1972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 dante1972
Member since 2004 • 934 Posts

I think it's great. I will enjoy it and so will my daughter. Just as long as the keep the tranny crap out of games. Can't stand people who can't figure out what they are.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8bd934e042e
deactivated-5a8bd934e042e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deactivated-5a8bd934e042e
Member since 2010 • 93 Posts

@OldProf: Huh? It literally says "feminist" in the title.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8bd934e042e
deactivated-5a8bd934e042e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-5a8bd934e042e
Member since 2010 • 93 Posts

The lead character looks a lot like a woman I used to train Jiu-Jitsu with, same face and everything. She actually ended up going to work for a video game developer.

Coincidence?? Hmmm...

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#77 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@xdude85 said:

Incoming shitstorm of gamers who think they know everything about feminism.

It's 2017, 1st world women have more rights than 3rd world women

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Without having played it, who knows if it's subtle or not. What is cool, is that fundamentally speaking it seems to carry a pretty diverse group of characters, and that is universally a fucking positive. This medium, like most entertainment mediums is far too safe/formulaic for its own good.

Now if she's a "strong" character like Rey from Episode 7, then we still have a long way to go, now if she's like Furiosa from Mad Max it's a step into the right direction for a modern triple A product.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#80 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58308 Posts

It's good to hear that we can have equity feminism in a game, like real feminism, where the woman doesn't have to be a victim or anything, you know? So yeah I'm glad to hear about this and that it is subtle because, ultimately, this is where we should be as a society; not making a big deal out of it.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Games would be much better off with out the politics that go on nowadays. Everyone is trying to push their agenda on creative works. I feel bad for concept artists and designers who get their ideas shut down because the director heard from the PR manager that such an idea would cause a Twitter riot.

I don't try to Identify myself with the character I'm playing as. I tend to see myself as an overseer of sorts. I'm not worried about who is respesented in a game. I will play a man, woman, alien or robot. My imagination is not limited to the scope of the real world.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@iandizion713: Open world Tomb Raider, but I prefer full character customisation.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#83 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24922 Posts

Its kinda sad to see games are becoming too PC. and feminization is ruining it. i mean when i look at games like Prey. what does female option has to do with it when it does nothing for story? seriously.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

It's nice to see strong female characters and diversity in a game that doesn't feel artificially pushed. GG did a good job designing the character and world and it's good that a female is the protagonist of the next big AAA franchise and not because of her bouncy boobs. Anyways I can't help but laugh at all the drama that these topics provoke in the west. In Japan strong female characters are so normal as well as strong teen characters which the west is still struggling with. It seems to me Japan is a much more mature culture with these topics.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#85 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Really?

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Because it has a strong female protagonist...all of the sudden its feminist?...lol.....so if it had a strong male protagonist then what?...this the kind of thinking that's so screwed up with people nowadays. :P

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 iandizion713

@dakur said:

It's nice to see strong female characters and diversity in a game that doesn't feel artificially pushed. GG did a good job designing the character and world and it's good that a female is the protagonist of the next big AAA franchise and not because of her bouncy boobs. Anyways I can't help but laugh at all the drama that these topics provoke in the west. In Japan strong female characters are so normal as well as strong teen characters which the west is still struggling with. It seems to me Japan is a much more mature culture with these topics.

Well put mate. We got a ways to go, but i feel were slowly getting there.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Now if she's a "strong" character like Rey from Episode 7, then we still have a long way to go, now if she's like Furiosa from Mad Max it's a step into the right direction for a modern triple A product.

it looks like we have a long way to go then lol

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

I don't care who the character is as long as the character is good.

In most RPGs I play as female because I think they look better in armour though armour with breasts can F' off as that looks ridiculous.

I don't see how this is "refreshing" when Samus and Lara were kicking ass before this.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 iandizion713

@darklight4: This is more than just a couple characters mate. Its the whole game thats refreshing.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

@dakur said:

Japan gaming culture being mature????? Are you fucking kidding me? The Japaneses are the worst offenders when it comes to unproportional body shapes in video game. They are obsessed with little girls, you could almost call it pedophilia.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By iandizion713

@thepclovingguy: Theyre pretty diverse in design. Even in anime they have great diversity in their characters.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@darklight4: This is more than just a couple characters mate. Its the whole game thats refreshing.

In that case I agree.

MikeRoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By MikeRoss
Member since 2017 • 18 Posts

@thepclovingguy said:
@dakur said:

Japan gaming culture being mature????? Are you fucking kidding me? The Japaneses are the worst offenders when it comes to unproportional body shapes in video game. They are obsessed with little girls, you could almost call it pedophilia.

Lucky I refreshed and was able to read the reply because I was about to post the same thing.

But is not like I hate Japan's approach either, in fact, I have come to appreciate it even more nowadays now that the current western trend is to make women look like men. Shit is getting stale fast with the manly mary sues but I'm glad I can always find refugee in Japanese games. They aren't afraid of female sexuality like the modern manlets of the West.

Very relevant link: https://my.mixtape.moe/fgcxhr.webm

This sent Gaf into a frenzy a while back and now some even want to boycott the game. haha

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By iandizion713

@mikeross: Yeah, that sucks her design has no purpose. But thats his choice to have such a tasteless character.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@thepclovingguy: Theyre pretty diverse in design. Even in anime they have great diversity in their characters.

Diversity? You mean women that look either like kindergarten children in skimpy clothes or who have extremely unproportional breast and ass sizes and who are also getting constantly fingered by tentacles. I am all for sexy and hot women in video games, but what Japanese developers do is just a sick fetish.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By iandizion713

@thepclovingguy: I think your generalizing a little too much mate. When was the last time you watched current anime? You come off as out-of-touch.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#100 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

2017... gender wars. Who cares if its a man or woman. People playing as Lara Croft back in the 90's and nobody cry you playing as a woman. People are so messed up nowadays.

The concept of shooting arrows at giant robots is pretty dumb even if the game is actually good. Who cares if its a Lara Croft or Solid Snake, all the matters is if the game is good.