Is HD remakes or enhanced version really a money grab?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

I never understood when people call a HD remake or enhanced version of a game a cash grab. No one is pointing a gun at anyone to forced them to buy the same game again. I have never brought an hd remake or a enhanced version of a game I own or owned as I don't care that much for better visual. I love the hd remakes of games that I have never played like the sly cooper and ratchet and clank to name a few. To be fair if you are willing to buy the same game again for visual improvement it's still your money and your decision to make. If you want it but, the price is to high wait for it to drop price. If by now you don't know that should wait before buying a street fighter game, since they always make a new version of it, well that's on you.

Just because a company put a better version doesn't mean you have to buy it.

Can someone please explain to me how is it a money grab?

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

I mean, it's a money grab in the exact same way every other game ever released is a money grab. They want your money lol. I personally don't see the big deal, you don't have to buy them at full price. In 3 months it'll cost $20 anyway like every other game on the market and you can pick it up then.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 SYSTEM-REBOOT
Member since 2014 • 658 Posts

HD remaster/enhance are just cash cow to make people pay for one game twice.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

For consoles yes, it is. 100%. Console publishers do not respect console gamers, and they seem fine with that.

Pc wise, they respect us about 80% more. Dues Ex Human Revolution simply had a £3 upgrade cost.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

I wonder how many of these people own or have own the same movie on DVD and BD?

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

When they're charging full fledged retail price yes... When its less than 10$ than that's fine.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Games like Tomb Raider and TLOU are what I'd consider cash grabs. (enhanced versions)

Games like Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee New and Tasty are okay with me. (HD remakes)

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

The Sony ones, yeah.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Persona 4 Golden, Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection, Tales of Graces f are all example of the right way to do remakes. There are significant changes to these games compared to the original.

Any Sony HD collection is just a money grab.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#11 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

When done right , No . Most of the time , specially on consoles (due to being expensive) , Yes .

Best remake that I ever played was Black Mesa and it was totally free . Valve even allowed them to sell it on steam . It was fan remake of original Half Life and it blew my mind .

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

It's not a cash grab. It's the individual's decision to repurchase a game or not. I re bought Tomb Raider on PS4 because I wanted the ability to remote play and share clips. The added graphic capabilities were definitely nice, but were merely an added bonus.

I don't rebuy games often these days. I'm not rebuying The Last of Us until a price drop but would buy a full remaster of the Uncharted trilogy.

Movies are the same. I've bought Jurassic Park on VHS back when it first released, the DVD collectors set of the first two when it released, and the Bluray trilogy when it released. One of my favorite movies ever. I don't feel cheated.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Let's put it this way:

Either 1) you buy a console that has full backwards compatibility with the entire "X" library (i.e. PlayStation) of games, costing you merely the price of the console, or, 2) you buy a console with no backwards compatibility and get the pleasure of re-buying every game you own for anywhere from $0.99 to $49.99.

I still remember buying my PS2 and having to go back to my PS1 library of games to weather the drought in the first couple years.

Personally, I'd rather pay a couple hundred dollars more for console hardware that is not only fully backwards compatible, but can upscale natively. A $600 PS4 that can do that would be something I would definitely consider buying.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45108 Posts

clearly there's demand for it since they keep doing it

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45108 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

When done right , No . Most of the time , specially on consoles (due to being expensive) , Yes .

Best remake that I ever played was Black Mesa and it was totally free . Valve even allowed them to sell it on steam . It was fan remake of original Half Life and it blew my mind .

not really the same thing, that was fan service

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

I dont think you know what fan service means.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Well the publisher's objective is to make money so essentially any game you purchase is a money grab.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

With that definition, there is nothing in the world that's a cash grab unless someone is holding a gun to your head.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

In a sense it is a money grab, but it's only one if you're compelled to buy it when it releases, otherwise it will get cheaper, and if you find yourself without these older games but with the desire to play them they're again accessible, so I don't mind that they make these. Then again, they wouldn't make them if there weren't money to be made right away. Hopefully there's a balance, that people who have money to burn support the remakes enough for publishers to keep making them, but enough frugal gamers with good sense to wait until they're cheaper to pick them up. IMO it's best not to vilify publisher/developers for doing it, because there is value in bringing these things over. It's good enough people have the good sense not to spend money on them if they don't have to, but they don't need to go preaching it.

It would be nice if they add value to these last gen games, like say making compilations, it'd be nice to have a next gen Mass Effect trilogy on one disc, or the Dead Space series. Or the Final Fantasy XIII games. The Gears of War games. Bethesda could put Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas on one Blu-ray disc. And they don't need to price everything at $60, they could release them for $50 or $40, whatever they feel the value of their compilation is worth. It might be easy to acquire these games now, but maybe years down the line it might be more difficult to, either because they're hard to find and/or they're expensive.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hrt_rulz01  Online
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

Depends how good a job they do... If they basically just up the resolution etc, then yeah it's a bit of a crash grab. But I think remakes like the Master Chief Collection are pretty good value for money.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#21 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I like the idea of them since they let players who may have missed great games in the past try them out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@da_illest101: too logical for most people here TC.

CARNAGES41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CARNAGES41
Member since 2007 • 313 Posts

products are worth what people are willing to pay for them.

And people buy these enhanced versions.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I call them a money grab because in most cases they take less time, workers, and money to create than brand new games. Yet many are still sold at the price of a brand new game.

The only problem I really have with them is when they don't add anything new to the game.

For example, if Windwaker had added another dungeon, or a few more islands to explore I would have thought it was worth the full price.

If TLOU added another DLC side story that was exclusive to the HD remake I would think it was worth the full price.

Or you can add more difficulty modes, secrets and easter eggs, multiplayer modes, cheats, weapons, costumes, release soundtrack cd's in the package, include interviews from the developers- have them reminisce about when they were first making the game and all the ideas that made it in/got cut.

Too many of the remakes add nothing new.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

@ActicEdge said:

I mean, it's a money grab in the exact same way every other game ever released is a money grab. They want your money lol.

Pretty much. The way people are complaining about it, you'd think gaming is a fucking charity.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

It's only a money grab when it's a remake/remaster of game you don't like. Well, at least that's the case for SW.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

It's only a money grab to those who already played it. It's a decent deal for those who haven't and want a slight visual upgrade compared to the original release.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@system-reboot said:

HD remaster/enhance are just cash cow to make people pay for one game twice.

but if they buy it twice, isn't that their choice? Especially when both games are virtually the same. How is that different from Dead Rising going from Xbone to PC?

Although I do miss backward compatibility very much.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

I don't really have a problem with companies doing it as I am not stupid enough to fall for it, but yeah, it's a quick cash grab. The current situation is really odd though. Within the last two or three years, we've been seeing many companies release absolutely amazing PC ports with far higher quality assets than what's been possible on the 360/PS3, so it's only natural that those companies would want to repackage the PC versions of those games and resell them to the console crowd, who have never experienced those games at a greater fidelity. The costs of porting them are negligible considering the consoles use PC architecture; combine that with how terrible the next-gen libraries are, as well as the total lack of backwards compatibility, and you get a recipe for easy money.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MirkoS77

@cfisher2833 said:

I don't really have a problem with companies doing it as I am not stupid enough to fall for it, but yeah, it's a quick cash grab. The current situation is really odd though. Within the last two or three years, we've been seeing many companies release absolutely amazing PC ports with far higher quality assets than what's been possible on the 360/PS3, so it's only natural that those companies would want to repackage the PC versions of those games and resell them to the console crowd, who have never experienced those games at a greater fidelity. The costs of porting them are negligible considering the consoles use PC architecture; combine that with how terrible the next-gen libraries are, as well as the total lack of backwards compatibility, and you get a recipe for easy money.

I'm not "stupid enough to fall for it", I'm astute enough to determine whether it holds value in my eyes, which (with TLoU) it very much does. The game will see a marked improvement, I support good games, and wish for the best experience possible.

People love to act like they hold some element of wisdom or don't dwell in the realm of naivete in their choices. Don't pat yourself on the back as one of the enlightened select so separated from the obtuse masses. I know exactly what I'm getting, am happy with it, and am more than content paying for it.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Depends on the situation.

For instance....Tomd Raider is a money grab. It sold well on last gen consoles but nothing warranted a HD release or whatever.

But for instance The Last of US....well...lots of ppl who were 360 gamers jumped ship to the PS4....so many ppl who are now in the Sony universe have not played that game. Therefore it's not really for the fans....it's for the ppl who haven't had the chance to play the game....and there are quite a many of them.

Plus that game is stellar in every way.

Stuff like the Halo collection is not a money grab though. I mean....it's probably in a way b/c they know it'll make a decent amount of money and attract ppl to the X1, but then again....it's 4 friggin games for the price of 1. Thats a great deal....so as it might be somewhat of a money grab....it's still being really fair.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

Most fanboys put up idiotic arguments to try to demonize the company/system they hate while making excuses for the ones they are in love with.

If you don't own, or have never played a certain game and you want to play it, is there a difference between you buying that game on a companies old system vs a companies new system?

Also, Is there a difference between a game being released as a timed exclusive on one system, and then the same game releasing with slight or no updates to other systems 6mo or a year later?

Was TitanFall a cash grab on xbox 360?

Was Dark Souls on PC a cash grab?

If you answer no to any of these questions and still argue that a company releasing their own game on different systems, no matter if there is a time gap, is a cash grab is a hypocrite.

Games release on different systems to serve as gaming material for the owners of systems who don't have that game.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

Yes.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@wolverine4262 said:

@SolidGame_basic:

I dont think you know what fan service means.

beach episodes

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

20-30 for 2-3 PS2 games remastered that I've never played ? I'll gladly pay that

50 for 1 PS3 game in a higher resolution and higher FPS? LOL

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

Yes Obviously, but if it's a good game and you never played it you should pick it up.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts
@MirkoS77 said:

@ActicEdge said:

I mean, it's a money grab in the exact same way every other game ever released is a money grab. They want your money lol.

Pretty much. The way people are complaining about it, you'd think gaming is a fucking charity.

Eh! too many self entitled brats nowadays...they wouldn't be complaining if they were given a free PS4 remaster version upgrade if they own it on PS3, which is what they really want. :P

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MirkoS77

@superbuuman said:
@MirkoS77 said:

@ActicEdge said:

Eh! too many self entitled brats nowadays...they wouldn't be complaining if they were given a free PS4 remaster version upgrade if they own it on PS3, which is what they really want. :P

Yea no joke man.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

In essence yes, but it does allow people who weren't able to play it on the original console a chance to experience it. Or it even allows people who don't own the original console a chance to play them again after many years.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Depends. If I was a young kid with a wiiu and ended up liking zelda, would I want to go seek out a Gamecube and a copy of Windwaker?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#42 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Yeah they are. "Next gen" remasters of games that arent that old is the publishers taking advantage of the lack of decent games to play on new systems.

There are some games I would love to see remasters (not remakes) of though: FFVII, Everquest 1 (before GOD), AVP2, the "Strike" series, System Shock 2 to name a few.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

So I take it you won't be getting GTA 5 on next gen then.

If anything GTA V needs a remake even more. The framerate dipped below 30 and the draw distance was horrible. It ruined an otherwise great looking game.

TLOU had no framerate or graphical problems so I see less point in its remake.

But that doesn't mean that both aren't cashgrabs. Rockstar: "We aren't thinking about next gen atm" LMAO, sure you were.

If I can find GTA V for cheap on PC i'll surely get it. But not for 50.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

a Money grab is when a get makes a grind heavy Progression System and then offers you the option to simply buy the upgrades instead, take note this is after you've already bought the game.

re-enhanced games are optional and everybody knew from the get go that there would be no backwards compatibility.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@system-reboot: How do they make you do that specifically?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#46 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@da_illest101: obviously nobody has to buy it. Its called cash grab because time and some money is spent on something that was already created, rather than put the recourses into a new creation. I don't blame companies for doing it, however I do think some have a little more credibility than others.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cainetao11

@Chutebox: "I wonder how many of these people own or have own the same movie on DVD and BD?"

Not me. Most of my collection is still DVD. The increase in resolution is not enough of a big deal to me to make me buy again.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48 Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

For consoles...it's absolutely a money grab.

I personally have no idea why anyone would want to buy GTA V again for the PS4 or XBone if they already have it for the PS3 or 360. I can understand double dipping for the PC, because you'll have access to a shit load of mods to enhance the experience.

But for the PS4/XBone? People are really interested in paying an additional $60 for the same game but with a few more cars on the roads and slightly better lighting?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@Chutebox: "I wonder how many of these people own or have own the same movie on DVD and BD?"

Not me. Most of my collection is still DVD. The increase in resolution is not enough of a big deal to me to make me buy again.

It's not just resolution, but ok. Not everyone would feel the need to buy again.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cainetao11

@Chutebox: I love film, am studying it now. I can see everything in a performance or intended view of a shot by a director in sd, otherwise why choose the shot? But people love superfluous and its cool. Just not spending my money on it.