Is final fantasy no longer a premiere RPG series?

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Edited By mrintro

Poll Is final fantasy no longer a premiere RPG series? (109 votes)

yea 41%
no 43%
too soon to tell 16%

it seems like it. I'm not even looking forward to the next one. I hope when my bravely default comes in I can get some of that old school goodness.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#51 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

To be fair the XIII's serie and X-2 are the only one that I didn't like. I loved XII and have high hopes for XV. I would love for XVI to be more of a old school type like FF IX ( jobs, art style, story and character), but I don't want a traditional turn based system either.

billing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 billing
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts

They lost it a long time ago.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#53 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@heretrix said:

After VII the series has been really spotty.

The thing I really miss from the series is the actual fantasy part with cool fantasy characters like the Dragoon the Black and White mages. Also the intrigue is missing, replaced with godawful soap opera nonsense.

FF games used to have a lot of political intrigue happening throughout, moving the story forward and the characters used to feel like they had purpose instead of being whiny Hollister models that just happened to be in a situation. the battle system is ok but I have the same problem with it that I have with most JRPGs; If I despise the character that I'm playing they could have the best battle system in the world but I not sure I'd be interested in playing for too long.

Yep, I agree! I felt that they were moving away from making the series into a game to a movie tbh.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

It started on it's downhill slope before 13, but 13 just killed it. And the fact they had the balls to make 3 games out of that piece of shit.

I can't even comprehend wtf was going on in their heads.

Once they started actually making sequels to their games within the same universes, with the same characters. That's when it really started.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#55  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

yes, it's still a staple name for JRPGs, though much of last gen the chance for another publisher and studio to knock it out of staple status was blown, Atlus refused to make another Persona game in a timely fashion, instead made Catherine (which was good but they missed a big chance there), meanwhile Square Enix took forever to make the White Engine / Crystal Tools and nobody did squat

reaver-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 reaver-x
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts

definitely square has fallen very far after loosing there top ppl like sakaguchi that knew how to make a good rpg. Games like Xenoblade Persona 4, and hell even Bravely default have far surpassed it in quality. Xenoblade being the JRPG to top this gen, all ffxiii games put to together dosent even belong side by side with Xenoblade the fact they are even mentioned in the same sentence is laughable. all FF excells in in sales and name recognition which is slowly dieing away and dosent represent the games quality at all. See the reviews and averages for the games i mentioned and then compare them with lightning returns...yea should be obvious to everyone by now Square has lost it

reaver-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 reaver-x
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

JRPGs simply cannot Eveolve, and even if they could people don't want them too. I'm reminded of President Evil.

again where were u when Xenobalde came out?? seriously u ppl get these games there starring u right in the fukkin face and then u guys proceed to come on here and whine and complain like girls its sad. Seriously just admit u guys dont no what the hell it is u want and ur just complaining for the sake of complaining. and about ppl not wanting them...ummm there seem to be more than enough to justify a sequel to xenoblade a sequel to bravely default, Persona 5 and tales of xillia. if u guys seem to know all the answers plz explain to me why namco would even bother announcing tales of xillia 2 for western release BEFORE the first game released in the states? or why tales of zestria was announced for the west BEFORE it came out in japan. Like cmon im not saying i dont think its niche because lets face it is. But the truth is the genre is in much better shape than a whole lot of other genres out there namely survival horror. What survival horror games are coming out this year?? cant think of many. As for JRPGS we have 7 games between February and march alone not including the rest of the year so wat is there to be dissapointed about? what because lightning returns sucked? ok fine so what just go play bravely default or wait for symphonia collection u have choices man u just need to LOOK

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#58  Edited By j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

thats what happen if you try to cater to xbox audience, same with resident evil (sorry, had to make it SW worthy post)

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#59 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

No... and it hasn't been since 10. They want more sales and to be relevant again? GO BACK TO WHAT MADE THE FRANCHISE... Turn based gameplay with lovable non emo playable characters (well... less than now anyhow... lol). Control of ALL CHARACTERS. Skill systems that are fun and make sense (preferably like FFIX)... I could go on and on... FF isn't even really an RPG anymore... (it is more of a digital movie/book with boring uninspired characters and a "gameplay" system that holds your hand and basically plays the game for you. What is up with this new FF coming out with a modern futuristic city and Devil May Cry gameplay? Yeah... that's real RPG like... not to mention what every FF fan cant wait to play. I'm laying on the sarcasm pretty thick, so if you didn't catch on to it read this in that annoying voice those feedbackula staff use starting with the (.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#60 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Eh I don't know. XIII was pretty good (despite serious flaws), and honestly there were hiccups in some of the older ones (VIII). But it's had some outstanding games (VII, IX, X, XII - haven't played before VII so I can't judge them). If XV is bad, then I'll say they've definitely lost their way.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#61 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

XIII (haven't played XIII-2) and X-2 are the only FF games that I think are less than great, so I'm not going to write the series off yet.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

There are some FF games that I ddiint like or found boring. FF4 had boring combat imo and I didint care much for the love story in ffx blech water scene. its just some people like and some dont.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

15 will decide that. It was awesome up until 13. Now that they ate moving away from that world, hopefully itll get better again

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

It hasn't been for a decade or more.

Now its just a lever for square to pull when the cocaine bucket runs dry.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts

Dark Souls in the new final fantasy.

RadioGooGoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By RadioGooGoo
Member since 2007 • 253 Posts

Went downhill the minute they jumped on the MMO bandwagon with 11. 6,7,8,9,10... all classics in their own right. Then the 11 MMO iteration, 12 trying to ape more Western RPG elements, 13 gonna 13, and 14 another MMO. Add all the sequels for 10 and 13 into the waste bin as well.

15 looks like it could be fun, but it is basically a FF in name only. I don't mind evolution in the series, so I won't fault 15 for being different, and it looks a lot better than 11-14.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#67 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

i like final 13&final 13-2 but i hope final fantasy change

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

No and it hasn't been since ff7

Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Consternated
Member since 2013 • 848 Posts

@Crossel777 said:

Most of us foretold the demise of the FF franchise and the fact that it was lacking in quality ever since the Square-Enix merger. Some people refused to believe but it's happening.

Yep.X was passable, but almost everything after that was subpar...

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

@DocSanchez: I agree with you that FF has become little more than Movie Book with little to no interaction, Poor levelkng up system, Beyond awful characters, terrible dialogue, Little to no challenge, linear Maps with no exploration.

FF has gone downhill since X and seem to be catchkng momentum to become a bigger piece of crap than the resident evil series which is tough but km sure SE are up for thst challenge.

The only FF I will purchase is Tactics Games or maybe the MMORPG as XI was more fun than every other FF I have played sjnce IX.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@Crossel777 said:

Most of us foretold the demise of the FF franchise and the fact that it was lacking in quality ever since the Square-Enix merger. Some people refused to believe but it's happening.

Yea cause some sites didint like its true........

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#72 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Yeah, I don't think it's a premier series anymore. It sucks, because I used to really like Final Fantasy. Whenever one was announced, I got excited. Nowadays, the games are cranked out and I barely take notice. The series has changed too much for my liking. I'm all for shaking things up and experimenting with new mechanics that can possibly make games better. Thing about Final Fantasy is, changes haven't been for the better and it's damn sad.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

I voted yes as in "yes, Final Fantasy is still a premiere rpg series". Besides Pokemon, it is the most successful JRPG throughout the world. It has been having some rough days but I believe that they will come in strong with Final Fantasy XV

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Damn I voted wrong. :X

I intended to vote yea, oops.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#75  Edited By Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

I don't know. I just recently finished 4 heroes of light and even though it was in frustrating in some bits, it was pretty enjoyable. Bravely default seems to be getting great reviews from people as well.

I think square has lots of good ideas still for the series. The hat system in 4 heroes while limiting in some cases is also quite convenient when designing the proper party for a fight.

I think square maybe got caught up in the "style over substance" hype alot of games did last gen. Maybe square Enix just needs to take notes from their handheld games and limit themselves. And focus more on design and less on visual flare.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#76 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

@Wild_man_22: I'm really liking bravely default

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

It got way too pretentious and artsy for its own good. A video game is supposed to entertain people, to be fun, to be enjoyable. If it has a nice story, that's great, but the gameplay has to be the real priority. If you have to keep pushing tutorials after the first couple of hours, something is wrong with your game. Never mind 10 or more hours.

TheShensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#79 TheShensolidus
Member since 2013 • 224 Posts

As a gamer who was raised with Final Fantasy as some of my earliest defining gameplay experiences, there is nothing that saddens me more than the state Final Fantasy finds itself in. This isn't so much a premiere RPG series, so much as it is a platform to continue selling Otaku-culture to the niche audience that looks to Final Fantasy for major new advancements in its fashion and culture, particularly in Japan.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

It hasn't lost all relevance. Its older games still sell like hotcakes with re-releases. only the XII brand is bad, which sadly took them the entire generation to complete.... but they sell well so why should they have stopped them? my ex from a few years back argued night and day that FFXIII was her favourite in the seriies... I don't friggin get it myself but oh well, apparently people do like FFXIII....

Dissidia was good, but that is a nod to the entire series ... so it would of been regardless. FF15 .... has "potential" .... FF13's combat system sucked... it was turn based sped up to 5 commands per turn and a damage system based on the need to make flashy animations.... and the whole role switching thing was utter crap.

FF15 on the other hand looks like its following Dissidia/Kingdom hearts... BUT sadly from what you see in the trailer it looks more like a hack n slash than both of those, with finishing moves ect.

One of my friends put it best "Kingdom Hearts had some of the best gameplay in any JRPG ever... why the hell have companies not replicated this again? ever?

The kingdom hearts team is the last of the big talent though....

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

It stopped being a premiere RPG series a long time ago.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

tbh it hasn't been for a very long time.

Very much so. Think X was the last time it was a top tier, must have game.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I thought it was obviously not. Not since around FF10 and onwards. Though it's hard to pin point an exact game. But I'd pin their last "premiere" game on 9 or 7. After that, they were like a A-grade studio making B-grade games with their main FF franchise.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

Highly looking forward to XV, but yeah. FF no longer has the reputation it once had.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#85  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

The series has been dead since FF9. I mean sure there's been a few decent FF games since then (FF12, FF11 and FF14 ARR) but with games like FF10, FF10-2, FF13, FF13-2 and FF13-3 which are the worst games in the series besides the Crystal series and Mystic Quest. It just makes you weep for the beloved series.

finally someone said FF10 bad, I mean FF13 was the exact copy of that game !

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@sakaixx said:

@Ballroompirate said:

The series has been dead since FF9. I mean sure there's been a few decent FF games since then (FF12, FF11 and FF14 ARR) but with games like FF10, FF10-2, FF13, FF13-2 and FF13-3 which are the worst games in the series besides the Crystal series and Mystic Quest. It just makes you weep for the beloved series.

The reason I don't like FF10 was because Tidus is a little *****, he's seriously the worst character ever created. Oh yeah and the ending blew too.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Well it still sell millions(just on reputation) so I would still I would still call it premiere. If Final Fantasy 15 is a flop then this discussion might be warranted.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@sakaixx said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Uhh... FFX has it's flaws and hell, I'm not even sticking up for the game. But it is NOTHING bad like XIII. The only similarity is that both of them are obviously linear FF games. It ends right there though. FFXIII is one of the most restrictive games I've ever played in every aspect. FFX does not have this issue at all.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Ballroompirate

@ConanTheStoner said:

@sakaixx said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Uhh... FFX has it's flaws and hell, I'm not even sticking up for the game. But it is NOTHING bad like XIII. The only similarity is that both of them are obviously linear FF games. It ends right there though. FFXIII is one of the most restrictive games I've ever played in every aspect. FFX does not have this issue at all.

Both are bad games, although FFX had potential to actually be a decent game with an amazing support cast while FF13 was just all around bad game with linear lvls to crap characters. When ever someone says they love FFX I just want to vomit.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

One of my friends put it best "Kingdom Hearts had some of the best gameplay in any JRPG ever... why the hell have companies not replicated this again? ever?

I strongly disagree with that statement. I really didn't like Kingdom Hearts.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts
@Gue1 said:

@hiphops_savior said:

It stopped being the premiere RPG series since Sakaguchi packed his bags and ran to Hawaii to surf.

he's supposedly working on a surfing game. Probably for mobile though. XD

In fact, the game has been out for nearly 2 years now. lol

Loading Video...

That's the same face I pull when I'm on the shitter.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#92 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@Ballroompirate:

Highly disagree with you on the fact that FFX was "decent". May you please elaborate on why you think that is?

It had a great story. Likeable characters, best combat system IMO and the world of Spira had many secrets to explore aswell as Blitzball which was actually fun:-)

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

What the combat or in general?

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11281 Posts

Final Fantasy hasn't been relevant since 2006. they stopped being top dog after 2001.

They were at the top of their game during the 90s and early 00s. (Chronocross, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy X)

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11281 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

FFX was the best FF ever made, your opinion is wrong.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

What the combat or in general?

I didn't like either, really, though to be fair, I stopped playing after the first space ship ride, when I ended up in Tarzan's level, so maybe it gets a lot better.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Ballroompirate

@Mozelleple112: First off, congrats on having a wrong opinion on thinking FFX is better than FF6, FF4, FF9, FF7 or even FF12 (hell I'd take FF8 over FFX). Secondly not ONLY do you have a bad opinion, you have TERRIBLE taste for even liking FFX. So please continue to make yourself look like a tool with horrible opinions and bad taste.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

It hasn't been for a long time now.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

FF 8 was the worst one.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Ballroompirate

@Shielder7 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

FF 8 was the worst one.

8 was not worse than 10-2, Mystics, 13 or 13-2.