Is Final Fantasy 7 the most over rated game ever?

• 136 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Even though its my fav FF I still think some over rate it to much.

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#52 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Metal Gear Solid 4 says hi.

DarkLink77

I disagree. MGS4 was great and deserves the 10 it got.

The plot was lauaghably bad. It didn't deserve anything close to a 10.

Since when did the plot determine how good a game is? It may not be a 10, but the gameplay is damn good.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
I would argue GTA IV is the most overrated game ever.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#54 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

SilverChimera

Since when did the plot determine how good a game is? It may not be a 10, but the gameplay is damn good.

Isn't alot of the praise from the story of MGS? Just asking, I could be wrong.

fireballonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 fireballonfire
Member since 2009 • 891 Posts

I tried playing through FF7 twice, first on the PS when the game was new and then on the PC but stopped half way. The game was just boring and there was nothing I liked about it.

The Half-life games I've tried playing through but despite all the hype I thought both to be extremely boring.

The MGS series is also boring. Many of the over hyped series are boring games there are exceptions though.

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts

I wouldn't say it's overrated, but it's not aging well. The game needs really needs a remake.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Lame plot hold filled story, continuity problems between characters and characters individual story lines, storyline was just a copy of FF6's story with a few changes.

In reality all FF7 had was graphics and good marketing because of this more american players played an jrpg this caused it to be a truely overated game.

Quite accurate.

DJChuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58 DJChuy
Member since 2010 • 1851 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

SilverChimera

When nine hours of the game are devoted to cutscenes.

OT: FFVII is alright, but it is overrated. I didn't think the characters and story were great, but I appreciated the variety and optional stuff it had. From what I can remember, there was snowboarding, motorcycle chases, the whole Golden Saucer, a tower defense mini-game, etc.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

The title goes to Mw2 and to its upcoming expansion Mw3 as being the most overrated games of all time.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

usually everything is overated but the most over rated game of all time to me is mass effect 2

xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 xYamatox
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

Never understood the mass appeal now, didn't understand the mass appeal then. The story wasn't anything amazing when I played through it years ago. It just seems like word-of-mouth made the game more famous than the game itself, and since then has been considered a classic.

gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
It's a great game. For those who haven't played it get the PC version then add the HD resolution patch (1280x1024) and the updated character model mod and it is actually not to bad graphically.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#63 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44619 Posts
I don't think it's that great but I also don't think it's overrated, it was still a very good game in it's day, but by today's standards all the hype for it is mostly (as I see it) for its nostalgic value.
jjccjj92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 jjccjj92
Member since 2010 • 641 Posts

Yes, JRPGs are garbage. Their stories are made for 12 year olds and their gameplay is sleep inducing.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

Quite accurate.WilliamRLBaker
I love this dumbed down version of the stories picture.

It's too bad the stories are far different when you actually flesh them both out.

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

One of the most, undoubtely.

It has a banal story, flat characters, one of the worst combat systems ever, don't even get me started about the materia system and the graphics.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18256 Posts

No is not, not even in the top 50. It is a well made game that left a huge impact on gamers and also it gave Sony the upper hand in that gen.

It hasn't aged very well and i don't see it as the best FF ever, let alone the best JRPG ever, still, it is a great game.

Junsei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Junsei
Member since 2004 • 723 Posts
No, it's a good game. The fanbase overrates it though. SilverChimera
but the problem of this fanbase is that 70% are just teens that are fans of 2 characters and really didn't really play the game fully. I own FFVII (black label) played it many times. yea its good. my final complete replay was when advent children came out and that was it..... crisis core... don't get me started. Final fantasy 7 was a great game for its time but its not in my top 10.. not even top 20 and its not top 10 in jrpgs ether. this new jrpg fanbase are cancerous these days. a few game shots and its a GOTY!!! Final fantasy 13... hah. see what happen with that tech demo. i know some of ya have your pennies saved just for a remake
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

It's pretty overrated...but of all time? No.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Sure.

AntiType

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 AntiType
Member since 2003 • 6249 Posts

i think Halo was the most.

ken_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#72 ken_gamer
Member since 2003 • 7522 Posts

Nah. People like to talk about its story and graphics as the reason for the hype but what I think makes a great game personally is how all these dynamics mesh with the gameplay. I don't like FF7 as much as FF8 but it was certainly challenging and rewarding as a game. Who remembers fighting the emerald and ruby WEAPONS? They were hard as ****. Beating them was momentous itself. Acquiring the Knight of the Round, or Ultima Weapon? Or getting Aeris, who was one of YOUR characters that you leveled up killed? If you didn't like it, tough, but it's not overrated, especially not when it succeeded in an era of amazing games.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Not overrated at all. It still stands as the best gaming experience I have ever had.

Sure the game is not without it's flaws (and it's flaws are exactly why I think a remake would be amazing) but it managed to be such an incredibly fun and engrossing experience with loads to do.

My file I beat it on has over 99 hours on it and I CHEATED to level up to lv.99. No other single-player game has taken up that much of my time and I enjoyed every second of it.

BTW, the materia system was gold. I really want them to mesh that system with some other leveling up/character systems like the Sphere Grid in FFX which remains the best leveling system I have ever seen in an RPG, granted I am not a big RPG player these days.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

It has a banal story, flat characters, one of the worst combat systems ever, don't even get me started about the materia system and the graphics.

Mograine
I don't get the flat character thing, which is funny because I see it brought up pretty often. Look at Cloud at the start of the game and then compare him to Cloud at the end. They're almost completely different in attitude. Even characters like Barret who don't get too much development have their own parts of the story where you can note changes in their attitudes toward things. Also if you predicted the story then...well damn. That's impressive considering it has twists that border on ass pulls. You could say it relies overly on an unreliable narator but banal? Not sure if you know the meaning of the word.
Kevz0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Kevz0
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts

It´s very overrated but unlike MW2 and BO, FF7 was actually good.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Kevz0
Gotta take shots at CoD somewhere, amirite?
omarguy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 omarguy01
Member since 2004 • 8139 Posts

Was a good game. Just feel FF6, FF9, and Tactics were way more epic in almost every way.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
[QUOTE="Kevz0"]

Silverbond
Gotta take shots at CoD somewhere, amirite?

Well the topic is about most overrated games.
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#79 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Of course not. Final Fantasy VII is one of the greatest games of all time.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

No. Its a good game that suffers from some design problems but overall it is a very well designed and fun game.

The big problem that the game has is the completely laughable translation. An RPG lives and dies by its dialogue and the game looks like it was wrote by a third grader... Come to think of it this was a common problem Square had during the PS1 era. I remember Xenogears, Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy 9 all having the same problem.

kingkarl123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 kingkarl123
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

No. Its a good game that suffers from some design problems but overall it is a very well designed and fun game.

The big problem that the game has is the completely laughable translation. An RPG lives and dies by its dialogue and the game looks like it was wrote by a third grader... Come to think of it this was a common problem Square had during the PS1 era. I remember Xenogears, Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy 9 all having the same problem.

Whiteblade999
Give me some examples of the bad dialogue, if you can remeber any of course.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

No, that would probably be COD 4 or BO.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#83 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Nope, that's the entire CoD series.

Whiteblade999

Japanese to english translations are generally a problem in all mediums, not only games. Most of the times, it trully does suck. Xenogears has a mediocre translation, a few good aspects here and there, generally i had no problem with it, it's just one of the cons. Thankfully for me, its pros outweight its cons, because it's in my personal top 5 GOAT games.

Chrono Trigger is one of the few games that had a perfect written translation.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#84 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
it is one of the most overrated games ever, but not the most overrated, and like someone else said, we should really be hating the obssesive fans, and that includes square because square just wont drop the ball on FF7, they have like 100000 FF7 media and they want more, and whenever there is a game with crossover characters cloud is always the most important. hell, even lightning was designed as a female version of cloud. square should learn to get over their own games
zekere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#85 zekere
Member since 2003 • 2536 Posts

I'll say it one more time: Without Final fantasy 7 you wouldn't have enjoyed a PS2 or PS3. The game broke boundaries back in 1997. Place the game in that gaming era and you'll see that it was a masterpiece. It made RPG's cool and great for the whole gaming world, where RPG's were only popular by a very small amount of people before...

stvee101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 stvee101
Member since 2006 • 2953 Posts

Um... no. It's a very good game. It was an incredible achievement at its time of release. People just hate it because it's very, very popular.

DarkLink77

I approve this message.

stvee101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 stvee101
Member since 2006 • 2953 Posts

[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

kingkarl123

Give me some examples of the bad dialogue, if you can remeber any of course.

"This guy are sick" :P

Anybody else remember this?

el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

Anything that's popular is overrated.

DCSullyvan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 DCSullyvan
Member since 2011 • 320 Posts

Um... no. It's a very good game. It was an incredible achievement at its time of release. People just hate it because it's very, very popular.

DarkLink77

Lamest excuse ever. Its hated because its hated, its loved because its loved, being popular has nothing to do with it. Same rules can be applied to OoT or Uncharted, Goldeneye, etc.

Rowsdower64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Rowsdower64
Member since 2010 • 114 Posts

I think it was lucky that it came out before developers started adding voices to everything, otherwise it might of turned out like this.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#91 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

I'll say it one more time: Without Final fantasy 7 you wouldn't have enjoyed a PS2 or PS3. The game broke boundaries back in 1997. Place the game in that gaming era and you'll see that it was a masterpiece. It made RPG's cool and great for the whole gaming world, where RPG's were only popular by a very small amount of people before...

zekere
no, just no, I would be happy if FF7 never existed, that way I wouldnt have to be seeing cloud's face everywhere or a lot of people telling sephiroth is the greatest villain ever conceived in videogames or that the game has an unique plot and deep characters (and none of those claims are true)
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#92 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

nope it deserve it's praise, ocarina of time is the most overrated game of all time

iBear-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 iBear-
Member since 2010 • 1092 Posts

nope it deserve it's praise, ocarina of time is the most overrated game of all time

da_illest101

you never played it

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DCSullyvan

Lamest excuse ever. Its hated because its hated, its loved because its loved, being popular has nothing to do with it. Same rules can be applied to OoT or Uncharted, Goldeneye, etc.

Not really. If you judge it on its own merits, it's a really good game. It just gets hate because a lot of FF fans believe games like FF VI are better and don't get the same praise.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="Mograine"]

Ace6301

I don't get the flat character thing, which is funny because I see it brought up pretty often. Look at Cloud at the start of the game and then compare him to Cloud at the end. They're almost completely different in attitude. Even characters like Barret who don't get too much development have their own parts of the story where you can note changes in their attitudes toward things. Also if you predicted the story then...well damn. That's impressive considering it has twists that border on ass pulls. You could say it relies overly on an unreliable narator but banal? Not sure if you know the meaning of the word.

^This. The characters in FFVII actually have character development. And a banal story? Do you even know what that word means?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="zekere"]

lightleggy

no, just no, I would be happy if FF7 never existed, that way I wouldnt have to be seeing cloud's face everywhere or a lot of people telling sephiroth is the greatest villain ever conceived in videogames or that the game has an unique plot and deep characters

So... you hate it because its popular. Okay. :roll:

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#97 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="zekere"]

DarkLink77

no, just no, I would be happy if FF7 never existed, that way I wouldnt have to be seeing cloud's face everywhere or a lot of people telling sephiroth is the greatest villain ever conceived in videogames or that the game has an unique plot and deep characters

ITT: Hipsters. "I liked FF before it was popular".
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

I definitely don't think it's the best FF game (IX AND VIII are!!!!) but the game is definitely one of the best jrpgs such as several other FF titles. as for the most overrated? Naw, I'd personally nominate Demon's Soul for that. Best game ever, hah! That stuff is mediocre at best, a game I truly cannot see why it's such a 10/10 title.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="zekere"]

110million

ITT: Hipsters. "I liked FF before it was popular". [/QUOTE

That happens in pretty much every Final Fantasy thread, unfortunately. Though those people usually can't provide any good reasons why,other than:

"LOL EVERYTHING AFTER VI IS GARBAGE!!1!"

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

I'm so glad I could get some mileage out of this image. For the people who say FFVII had a terrible story and no character development and predictable? Ok...