Is Console Gaming Dying?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SquatsAreAwesom
SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SquatsAreAwesom
Member since 2009 • 1678 Posts

http://games.venturebeat.com/2009/07/11/as-console-games-slide-online-games-up-22-percent-compared-to-a-year-ago/

The number of online game players rose 22 percent in May compared to a year ago, drawing more than 87 million players in the U.S., according to market researcher comScore.

That improvement is a stark contrast to the slide in overall console game revenues in the U.S., which fell 23 percent compared to a year ago in dollar sales, according to market researcher NPD.

NOTE, this study did not even factor in all the PC MMOs.

irish4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 irish4eva
Member since 2008 • 570 Posts
I dont even know were to start
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#3 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

http://games.venturebeat.com/2009/07/11/as-console-games-slide-online-games-up-22-percent-compared-to-a-year-ago/

The number of online game players rose 22 percent in May compared to a year ago, drawing more than 87 million players in the U.S., according to market researcher comScore.

That improvement is a stark contrast to the slide in overall console game revenues in the U.S., which fell 23 percent compared to a year ago in dollar sales, according to market researcher NPD.

SquatsAreAwesom
I could point to the fact there is a recession going on, and none of my friends or family have been able to find work, could be a reason why Console Game revenues are down. hmmmm a 360 or Food for a month... 360 or Food for a Month.. decisions decisions...
whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

I agree with the poster above, alot of people are hurting right now for work, or good work. I wouldn't really say that because the industry isn't doing as well as previous years that it is dying. Now if the economy was booming and the industry was still down 20 - 25% then you might be on to something.

demonchao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 demonchao
Member since 2009 • 68 Posts

I heard that the major gaming companies were going to make their systems fully online, so that you can download them directly off of the internet, personally, this is a good idea I think, except that the companies would therefore be making LESS money in the process...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Its already dead. The current selection of modern "consoles" are basically simplified and closed PC platforms. None of them retain the traditional console "plug-n-play" styIe of playing like those of previous generations. There is updates, downloadable content, internal data storage for ROM games, online gaming (with the focus on same-room multiplayer disappearing), media playback (music and video) and other non-essential features that were much better suited to the PC platform.

umbra545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 umbra545
Member since 2009 • 70 Posts

is system wars dying?

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#8 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Funny to see a thread like this after all the foolish "PC GAMING IS DEAD OR DYING!" threads that have come up.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Atm no console gaming isn't dying,it just has its slow periods between selling good/fast-slows down to a crawl(like how crappy the economy is right now).

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

Or since Horrible games like Call of Duty came out, thats all people play, they buy one game then play it online for month's because 1. They don't play real games 2. They are BrainDead 3. A cheap RedNecks who are imbred 4. All of the above

LordDhampire
Or it makes more sense to buy a CoD4 or Halo 3 and get thousands of hours of fun out of it. Don't be a jerk.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SpruceCaboose

If this console generation isn't the last, the next surely will be -- one of the few of Pachter's predictions I semi-agree with.

xDimMaK
Console gaming is still profitable and growing. Why would it stop?
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
So more people are playing games and, shock of the world, when unemployment is approaching double digits and the country/planet is in one of the worst recessions ever, people arn't balling out of control. I don't think that's a sign of console gaming dying.
whisperingmute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 whisperingmute
Member since 2006 • 1116 Posts

[QUOTE="SquatsAreAwesom"]

SaudiFury

I could point to the fact there is a recession going on, and none of my friends or family have been able to find work, could be a reason why Console Game revenues are down. hmmmm a 360 or Food for a month... 360 or Food for a Month.. decisions decisions...

Pfft, who eats food honestly?

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SpruceCaboose

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Console gaming is still profitable and growing. Why would it stop?xDimMaK

I have my reasons for agreeing with the analysts on this one, but I don't much feel like detailing those reasons. You'll just have to wait and see.

I will. You do realize analysts have been right less than chance over the last few years, right? And that they also claimed PC gaming and console gaming were dying many times over the last 3 decades...
SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SquatsAreAwesom

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Console gaming is still profitable and growing. Why would it stop?xDimMaK

I have my reasons for agreeing with the analysts on this one, but I don't much feel like detailing those reasons. You'll just have to wait and see.

nice haha :)
SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SquatsAreAwesom
[QUOTE="xDimMaK"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Console gaming is still profitable and growing. Why would it stop?SpruceCaboose

I will. You do realize analysts have been right less than chance over the last few years, right? And that they also claimed PC gaming and console gaming were dying many times over the last 3 decades...

Just look at the trends though. There is a difference between analysts talking up a storm with no data, and then there is data is clearly shows certain trends are occurring.
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

Its already dead. The current selection of modern "consoles" are basically simplified and closed PC platforms. None of them retain the traditional console "plug-n-play" styIe of playing like those of previous generations. There is updates, downloadable content, internal data storage for ROM games, online gaming (with the focus on same-room multiplayer disappearing), media playback (music and video) and other non-essential features that were much better suited to the PC platform.

foxhound_fox
Basically; Pretty much, this.
GodofEmpires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GodofEmpires
Member since 2009 • 611 Posts

Well, there's something called "horrible economy" going on these days so people won't buy $60 games. F2P onlines games, on the other hand, are free so people WOULD like to play something that's free in these economy times.

fourseamer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fourseamer4
Member since 2009 • 467 Posts

foxhound_fox
Wii says Hi. But 360/PS3 I agree with.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

fourseamer4
Wii says Hi. But 360/PS3 I agree with.

The Wii should keep quiet, since it has most of those features foxfound fox mentioned.
striking_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 striking_
Member since 2009 • 583 Posts

uh no, the wii sales alone prove just the opposite. Console gaming is very much the mainstream market despite the recent rise of pc gaming.

SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SquatsAreAwesom

Well, there's something called "horrible economy" going on these days so people won't buy $60 games. F2P onlines games, on the other hand, are free so people WOULD like to play something that's free in these economy times.

GodofEmpires
Doesn't change the conclusions.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Danm_999

uh no, the wii sales alone prove just the opposite. Console gaming is very much the mainstream market despitebthe recebt rise of pc gaming.

striking_
PC gaming is a little more mainstream than the current consoles.
2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#28 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

No, but people are dying when they pay $2000 to upgrade their PC and can't afford food.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Danm_999

No, but people are dying when they pay $2000 to upgrade their PC and can't afford food.

2-10-08

If they're paying that much to upgrade ($2000, c'mon!), I'm not sure their deaths are entirely unjustified.

SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SquatsAreAwesom

2-10-08
LOL... I needed a good laugh.
striking_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 striking_
Member since 2009 • 583 Posts

[QUOTE="striking_"]

uh no, the wii sales alone prove just the opposite. Console gaming is very much the mainstream market despitebthe recebt rise of pc gaming.

Danm_999

PC gaming is a little more mainstream than the current consoles.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. There are different degrees of pc gaming due the incredible accessibility since everyone has a pc nowadays. However if you cut out mmos you can't really say that pc gaming is all that mainstream. Also he asked if console gaming is dying and for that my point still stands, it really is not.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

samuraiguns

Basically; Pretty much, this.

Just because consoles have evolved to incorporate a broader range of multi-media functions doesn't mean they are 'dead', just simply a different incarnation to what they were 10 or 20 years ago.

And yes they are still plug n play devices regarding their core functionality i.e. gaming (probably less so with PS3 due to obvious mandatory installs), and it could be argued music and video capabilities are better suited to a lounge-based device such as consoles as opposed to PC's...

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Dying as fast as PC gaming is.
Pdiddy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pdiddy105
Member since 2007 • 4577 Posts

PC gaming is the only thing thats dying. Sorry hermits.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#35 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Pdiddy105

This is one of those "US only and retail stores only" charts, isn't it? :roll:

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Pdiddy105

http://kotaku.com/5181379/pc-gaming-market-worth-11-billion-and-other-fun-facts The hermits dont even need to point out the obvious. PC gaming market = $11 Billion.

gmc2u_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gmc2u_64
Member since 2005 • 2402 Posts

[QUOTE="LordDhampire"]

Or since Horrible games like Call of Duty came out, thats all people play, they buy one game then play it online for month's because 1. They don't play real games 2. They are BrainDead 3. A cheap RedNecks who are imbred 4. All of the above

SpruceCaboose

Or it makes more sense to buy a CoD4 or Halo 3 and get thousands of hours of fun out of it. Don't be a jerk.

He's just an Elitist who can't accept the fact that people love CoD or Halo. Don't take him seriously.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
unless they start putting back the good old split screen gaming console gaming will be a closed box pc next gen. why can't there be more awsesome split screen games like motorstorm 2, gears halo 3 resistances etc? it seems that the good old days of having you mates over for some mp fun is gone unless you get multiple systems.

foxhound_fox
tell me about it, every time I go to play my ps3 games first thing that happens is the dam thing has to be updated, why buy a consoles that is a pc without all the good bits? why bother with media playback if you can't even play music in every game on ps3?, who wants to turn on a big power sucking machine to play music when a ipod does it for close to nothing? I don't want a media center console. the pc does a much better job at that, a consoles should be plug and play with split screen taking priority over online, heck consoles even seem to lack lan play these days. consoles should be come home with the game put in play, not come home with disk put in updated available download come back in 10mins, installing updated go away make a coffee, finally the game is starting up, game starts up after 20mins, that's the new trend of console games, oh and then you want the mp you have to buy some dlc the consoles of the 90s are what consoles should be like, ps3/x360 are to much release a half finished game and then patch it later till it gets fixed.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 imprezawrx500
[QUOTE="xDimMaK"]

If this console generation isn't the last, the next surely will be -- one of the few of Pachter's predictions I semi-agree with.

SpruceCaboose

the wii which is a traditional console is, x360 and ps3 are struggling to make money. ps3 costs to much x360 made to cheaply. devs costs for both have gone through the roof.
Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts
I agree it is dying. It's nice to see people are not talking about PC gaming, because PC gaming is pwning the court. I play my PC and PSP only.
baryjayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 baryjayne
Member since 2004 • 51 Posts

It is not "dying" but what I see happenning is a convergence of all electronic devices. As has been pointed out a modern console essentially is a computer and this generation it is becoming true not only from a hardware perspective. The consoles are including things like movie players, and digitaly distributed movies, internet browsers, and now they are going to add Facebook etc. Meanwhile DVD and Blu-ray players are adding features like Netflix instant watching and pandora radio and internet connections. So I don't think they will die, I think everything will just converge into one device. It has basically already happened with portable electronics with devices like the iPhone, (though they don't yet have all the features of their counterparts)

NotToBeDied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NotToBeDied
Member since 2004 • 652 Posts

I think it will pick back up 2010. Maybe the PS3 price cut will move things along :]

SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SquatsAreAwesom

I think it will pick back up 2010. Maybe the PS3 price cut will move things along :]

NotToBeDied
Unless we have another meltdown that people are saying we probably will have.
-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts
[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="xDimMaK"]

the wii which is a traditional console

LOL. Good joke there. The Xbox and PS3 are more traditional.
Avatar image for Superman559cali
Superman559cali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Superman559cali
Member since 2009 • 50 Posts

Actually PC gaming is dieing

Always have to upgrade the specs on the PC with this horrible economy.

Console gaming is here to stay.

brennan7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 brennan7777
Member since 2005 • 3253 Posts

i think pc gaming is dying faster than console gaming.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 imprezawrx500
[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] Console gaming is still profitable and growing. Why would it stop?-Snooze-
the wii which is a traditional console

the ps3/x360 are not traditional, you have to have online or they don't offer much. the wii is designed around the living room experence which is what a consoles should be not a poor mans pc which is what ps3/x360 are becoming. few ps3/x360 games can be played with multiple players on a single system, you have to update often before you can even play the game, make you buy stuff on the disk for the full game, how ever you look at it ps3/x360 are nothing like ps1/n64.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#49 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

[QUOTE="-Snooze-"][QUOTE="imprezawrx500"] the wii which is a traditional console imprezawrx500

the ps3/x360 are not traditional, you have to have online or they don't offer much. the wii is designed around the living room experence which is what a consoles should be not a poor mans pc which is what ps3/x360 are becoming. few ps3/x360 games can be played with multiple players on a single system, you have to update often before you can even play the game, make you buy stuff on the disk for the full game, how ever you look at it ps3/x360 are nothing like ps1/n64.

that's not true, and consoles have been dabbling in online since the SNES/Genesis gen. I agree that the ps3 and 360 are traditional consoles in that they are following the natural evolution that consoles were undergoing. Every gen has had it's wonky peripherals, but the wii has to be the first to be based around one of them.

History will prove you right though. When PC's reach the point of photorealism and prices plummet, consoles will be redundant and only ones with some kind of gimmick will survive.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Just because consoles have evolved to incorporate a broader range of multi-media functions doesn't mean they are 'dead', just simply a different incarnation to what they were 10 or 20 years ago.

And yes they are still plug n play devices regarding their core functionality i.e. gaming (probably less so with PS3 due to obvious mandatory installs), and it could be argued music and video capabilities are better suited to a lounge-based device such as consoles as opposed to PC's...

poptart

Why incorporate PC features when the PC already does them all incredibly well? Why not take advantage of the market that falls between handhelds and PC's? Why not continue to develop a market for itself instead of trying to imitate another and do it exceedingly poorly?

Media playback is handheld hugely well by PC's... and audiophiles don't use consoles for audio playback. Plus, its not good for a consoles disc drive to be used as a movie player, it wears out the drive. Plus, PC's can very easily be hooked up to your home theatre system... and handle a ton more simultaneous tasks than a console.

The beginning of the end of console gaming started with the Playstation and the introduction of non-cart storage devices and separate save data storage. Then came the Xbox... the true beginning of the end of traditional console gaming.